PDA

View Full Version : ACV rinse - any benefits for dry hair?

pariate
April 11th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Hello LHC Lovelies :)

I'm toying with the idea of trying a verrrrrrrrrrry dilute ACV rinse but I wonder what effect it has on dry hair? I don't want anything that's going to dry it out even more! :rolleyes:

My current wash method is CO.

Thank you, as ever x

DrkAngel
April 11th, 2008, 04:48 AM
If your hair is on the dry side it doesnt mean ACV cant help you. But if you're worried about it making it worse I'd say dont leave it in. Just rinse it off with cold water so the cuticle lays flat and the smoothness stays.

Anyway I dont have dry hair myself so hopefully other members will stop by with more info than I have. :)

pariate
April 11th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Thanks DrkAngel.

Cool avatar!

Shanarana
April 11th, 2008, 04:51 AM
My hair is more on the dry side, and I use it about once a month and rinse it out afterward. I use it just for the ph balance and not for moisture, but my hair feels nice using it.

Hope that helps.

akka naeda
April 11th, 2008, 04:57 AM
I have dry hair, which has massively improved since being here - it no longer feels like straw:) I'm tempted to say it is no longer dry, but when I see people saying their hair gets greasy I think perhaps mine still is dry, even though it doesn't feel it.

So, yes, I use ACV. Since I wash upside down over the bath, I then do a final cold water (no warm water added at all) rinse in the handbasin. To that I add a couple of drops of essential oil and ACV, which I just tip out of the bottle, so I can't tell you how much. I swill my length around in that, tip it over my scalp a couple of times and that's it. It does smell when it's in the water, but when my hair is out of the water drying and once it has dried there is no vinegar smell.

ACV doesn't help with the dryness - what helped with that for me was oiling, and more specifically making my hair wet but not dripping (that's wetter than misting it) and then putting a light oiling on that. The ACV does seem to smooth the cuticle more though.

Riot Crrl
April 11th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Depends on the reason for the "dryness." If the scales are sticking up from a process or some other reason, causing hair to feel dry, then vinegar rinse can help. It's not moisturizing, it's a scale-lying-down and pH-restoring thing. Also helps me when I manage to overmoisturize somehow, which is not dry hair, but it can look like it.

DrkAngel
April 11th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks DrkAngel.

Cool avatar!

Aw thanks! It's a painting by Mark Ryden. I love his art.