PDA

View Full Version : I can't find....

Natalia
July 4th, 2009, 11:23 PM
A single post that has a dilution ratio for vinager as a leave in! I know i can just leave in my vinager rinse on wash days but since that isnt very often i want to put some in a mister and i feel my shpwer dilution is too strong. I could have sworn ive seen dilutions on here before for just this but after 2 days and numerous searches and i cant find it! Could someone help me out? Also would EO's help minimize the left over vinager scent? Also do i need any kind of special mister bottle or would any old plastic one do?

manderly
July 4th, 2009, 11:27 PM
What would be the purpose/point of a vinegar spritz between washes?

Natalia
July 4th, 2009, 11:33 PM
What would be the purpose/point of a vinegar spritz between washes?

Hoping it would help my rough ends. I dont like the result of just wetting my hair with water when i want waves as it makes my ends crunchier. I figured the more damages parts could use a little extra than what i rinse with :).

Bene
July 4th, 2009, 11:35 PM
i've never heard of anyone spritzing vinegar in their hair between washes. you could probably mix conditioner and water and spritz it on your hair.

manderly
July 4th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I don't think vinegar is the way to go. It's not conditioning.

The reason for vinegar rinses after using poo bars is to return the hair to an acidic state (soap is alkaline).

I would suggest adding conditioner to your spritz or something like Kimberlily's Defrizz spray :)

Melisande
July 5th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I second, third and fourth that ;-) Add a little camelia oil to your mister, that's much better for your ends. Or simply rosewater.

Vinegar is good for the last rinse after you wash your hair as it washes out mineral deposits from hard water, restores the pH and closes the cuticles - thus gives shine.

If the smell of vinegar disturbs you, I'd recommend citric acid for the final rinse. I add a teaspoon to a pitcher of c. 1,5 liter of water - just enough to be felt. (Yes, I taste it ;-) )

ktani
July 5th, 2009, 05:48 AM
A single post that has a dilution ratio for vinager as a leave in! I know i can just leave in my vinager rinse on wash days but since that isnt very often i want to put some in a mister and i feel my shpwer dilution is too strong. I could have sworn ive seen dilutions on here before for just this but after 2 days and numerous searches and i cant find it! Could someone help me out? Also would EO's help minimize the left over vinager scent? Also do i need any kind of special mister bottle or would any old plastic one do?

Is the purpose to keep adding moisture while lowering the pH of your water and keeping the cuticles closed?

Just increase the dilution you use in the shower. I have heard of everything from 1 tablespoon to 1 cup of water and a mild one used in the Honey thread was 1 tsp. to 20 oz of water. Those dilutions were for rinsing out but it gives to an idea of variations.

Any plastic spritzer should be fine. My vinegar comes in plastic jugs. You are increasing the dilution in any case, from what you normally use to rinse out.

Elettaria
July 5th, 2009, 12:22 PM
A dilute vinegar spritzer is useful if you get the smell of smoke in your hair.

I always use vinegar as a leave-in, and I use one capful (about a teaspoon) of cider vinegar in a jug. I put in a couple of herbal teabags, the vinegar, enough water to cover properly, and leave that steeping while I wash my hair, then add cold water to fill the jug. Sometimes I put in about a dozen drops of essential oil. Even if it's just cider vinegar in water and nothing else, you don't get a smell with that low a dilution. I've tried higher dilutions but they left my hair greasy. It's a personal thing.

Natalia
July 5th, 2009, 06:31 PM
i've never heard of anyone spritzing vinegar in their hair between washes. you could probably mix conditioner and water and spritz it on your hair.

Thanks but i use natural conditioners so no preservatives. I think it would turn rancid to quickly :(

I don't think vinegar is the way to go. It's not conditioning.

The reason for vinegar rinses after using poo bars is to return the hair to an acidic state (soap is alkaline).

I would suggest adding conditioner to your spritz or something like Kimberlily's Defrizz spray :)

Hi manderly :). Im not so much looking for conditioning as much as seing if it will close the cuticle a bit more on my stubborn ends. I love kimberlily's but its just not getting hte job done on my ends. As much moisture as i try to add it isnt helpign anymore :(.

I second, third and fourth that ;-) Add a little camelia oil to your mister, that's much better for your ends. Or simply rosewater.

Vinegar is good for the last rinse after you wash your hair as it washes out mineral deposits from hard water, restores the pH and closes the cuticles - thus gives shine.

If the smell of vinegar disturbs you, I'd recommend citric acid for the final rinse. I add a teaspoon to a pitcher of c. 1,5 liter of water - just enough to be felt. (Yes, I taste it ;-) )

Thanks for the tip :). Vinager only bothers me in strong dilutions but i figure if im going to be misting it in i would prefer the scent to be covered up a bit till it dries.

Is the purpose to keep adding moisture while lowering the pH of your water and keeping the cuticles closed?

Just increase the dilution you use in the shower. I have heard of everything from 1 tablespoon to 1 cup of water and a mild one used in the Honey thread was 1 tsp. to 20 oz of water. Those dilutions were for rinsing out but it gives to an idea of variations.

Any plastic spritzer should be fine. My vinegar comes in plastic jugs. You are increasing the dilution in any case, from what you normally use to rinse out.

Yes i like to mist but my ends just keep getting rougher and rougher :( no mater how much moisture i add with all sorts of things. My normal shower dilution is usually 1 - 2 tablespoon to 3 to 5 cups of water depending on how strong i feel i need. Thanks for the advice on dilutions :).

A dilute vinegar spritzer is useful if you get the smell of smoke in your hair.

I always use vinegar as a leave-in, and I use one capful (about a teaspoon) of cider vinegar in a jug. I put in a couple of herbal teabags, the vinegar, enough water to cover properly, and leave that steeping while I wash my hair, then add cold water to fill the jug. Sometimes I put in about a dozen drops of essential oil. Even if it's just cider vinegar in water and nothing else, you don't get a smell with that low a dilution. I've tried higher dilutions but they left my hair greasy. It's a personal thing.

Hmmm maybe i should reccomend it to my brother :p. Im not a smoker or live with anyone who is but whenever he visits there is a seriosu stench. Lol maybe i should put it my the door. Maybe it will catch on like wiping you feet :p. Your rinse sound liek it smells lovely :)

GlassEyes
July 5th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Actually, I sort of disagree.

Since vinegar is acidic and closes the cuticle, it could help to spritz between washes to add some shine, in theory. Not sure about dryness, but maybe making a spritzer with conditioner and vinegar would do the trick!

kwaniesiam
July 5th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I'd just be concerned about walking around smelling like vinegar...

manderly
July 5th, 2009, 11:37 PM
How about adding a bit of vinegar to kimberlilys defrizz spray??

Or I would suppose you just do a mix with some water, vinegar, and conditioner. I'm curious to see if it does anything.

@Glasseyes: I wouldn't see how the cuticle would open up between washes to necessitate being closed again, but then again I'm no expert. Perhaps it does open up a bit or has some mechanical damage that could use some re-closing. :shrug:

GlassEyes
July 6th, 2009, 11:26 AM

Or I would suppose you just do a mix with some water, vinegar, and conditioner. I'm curious to see if it does anything.

@Glasseyes: I wouldn't see how the cuticle would open up between washes to necessitate being closed again, but then again I'm no expert. Perhaps it does open up a bit or has some mechanical damage that could use some re-closing. :shrug:
Not necessarily -open-, because it only really does that after shampooing/dyeing, etc, but rise.

The cuticle of the hair is made of scales, as you know, and from being put up, swung around, and roughed up by daily wear and tear, it can rise up a bit. Even after sleeping on it.

Other things like heat can do it to--and I don't mean blow drying, I mean normal, hate-your-life heat. Which is why I say it'd be a good kind of thing to have around. xD;

Natalia
July 6th, 2009, 03:05 PM

I manderly :). I think i might go with vinager and water just for the experiment stage to make sure nothing else is affecting the results. But after that if it goes well i think i shall add it to my kimberlily's as you said.

Not necessarily -open-, because it only really does that after shampooing/dyeing, etc, but rise.

The cuticle of the hair is made of scales, as you know, and from being put up, swung around, and roughed up by daily wear and tear, it can rise up a bit. Even after sleeping on it.

Other things like heat can do it to--and I don't mean blow drying, I mean normal, hate-your-life heat. Which is why I say it'd be a good kind of thing to have around. xD;

That was my thinking GlassEyes. My ends have alot of dye damage to them my length isnt as bad but i still find rough spots no matter how much i moisturize. I figure there has to be quite bit of lifting to the cuticel onthose ends. Its worth a shot to try. My hair only stays soft on the ends for a short time after a vinager rinse so i thought maybe spritzing it as a leave in in the mean time might help :shrug: .

I also like to wear my hair down on occasion. It makes me happy and incurring a little mechanical damage is worth it :)

nowxisxforever
July 6th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't use vinegar...I'll put a little coconut or jojoba oil in my spritzer with water and an EO or a few drops of a BPAL scent and run with that, myself.

Edit: You could put a touch of white vinegar or something into that sort of a mix too though.

Fractalsofhair
July 6th, 2009, 04:38 PM
The only issue I could see with this is that vinegar can be VERY drying, but it might work! Even touching your hair can raise the cuticle, so it won't likely reduce damage, but it won't hurt. Oiling and protein treatments might also help your hair.