PDA

View Full Version : Beacon Hair

florenonite
July 4th, 2009, 09:35 PM
My wee sister's hair is like a beacon. She's about 5'7" with white-blonde hair, which is really rare around here. Sometimes I wonder what I'd do without her hair, because that's how I spot her, and I got really confused once when I was in eastern Scotland with her several years ago, when it's a common colour on children, and kept thinking I saw her when it was some other kid. So, yeah, her hair's kind of a beacon.

Given the gorgeous heads of hair here, I'm sure my sister isn't alone in having beacon hair, so I'm wondering if there are others whose hair acts as the primary means of identification amongst a crowd.

So, who's got beacon hair?

Natalia
July 4th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Im only a beacon becasue im about the only 5'8" person with dark hair longer than shouler length around here :rolleyes:. Actually being anything past BSL makes you a beacon around here... The only way i could stand out more would be by being a red head.

ETA: Just remembered a little girl i used to teach with natural platinum hair :). We actually became really good friends with the family. When we had to find them in a crowd she was always a great help :D

Quixii
July 4th, 2009, 09:50 PM
My dad has poofy greying curls that kinda stick up even though he's short. That's how I identify him in a crowd. xD Though sometimes it's confusing 'cause I'll think I see him and then they turn around and it turns out to be a little old lady.

I don't know if anyone uses my hair to find me. Probably not. :shrug:

florenonite
July 4th, 2009, 10:13 PM
My dad has poofy greying curls that kinda stick up even though he's short. That's how I identify him in a crowd. xD Though sometimes it's confusing 'cause I'll think I see him and then they turn around and it turns out to be a little old lady.

Hehe, that could be awkward. "Hey, Dad!" *lady turns round* "er, oops :o" :p

Moonstruck
July 4th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Hahaha, one of my best friends HAD beacon hair. Or really, just beacon body. As in, he's one of the biggest (widest - not fat, but just HUUUGE frame) guys I know, and had APL-ish brown hair. Not many girls have bodies like that, not many guys had hair like that, hahaha.

He ended up cutting it (and honestly, he treated it terribly so it looks better now) but still, he sticks out in a crowd a little.

Elphie
July 4th, 2009, 10:25 PM
My best friend in HS was a waist-length natural redhead. Never had a problem finding her in a dark club.

ChatoyantLocks
July 4th, 2009, 10:38 PM
*raises hand* I suspect mine is.

nowxisxforever
July 4th, 2009, 11:05 PM
My friend Hannah has long brown hair, floats between waist and tailbone, with a big bright green streak on one side in the front. You can see it in her hair generally.

My boyfriend used to have a tophat that he would wear, I would find him by that, I generally didn't even have to say what he looked like, just "Hey you at the booth, did you see which way the guy with the hat went?" and they'd go "The guy with the tophat?" "Yep!" "Oh, that way-->." They'd look at him and remember him because his hat was different, so it was generally easy to get someone to tell me where he went.

Not so easy now that he threw the hat away because it got mildewy.

longhairedfairy
July 4th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I'm a little short person, but people often recognize me by my long hair.

RoseRedDead
July 5th, 2009, 11:10 AM
My hair really isn't all that exceptional, but your story reminds me of one time when I was helping out in the kitchen at a party, and my family was just about ready to leave, but couldn't find me... I had my back turned, and they didn't know it was me until I turned so they could see my face. My older sister told me she didn't recognize me because my hair was so wavy! (This was about 6 months into LHC and better haircare - I discovered I had wavy hair.)

florenonite
July 5th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Hahaha, one of my best friends HAD beacon hair. Or really, just beacon body. As in, he's one of the biggest (widest - not fat, but just HUUUGE frame) guys I know, and had APL-ish brown hair. Not many girls have bodies like that, not many guys had hair like that, hahaha.

He ended up cutting it (and honestly, he treated it terribly so it looks better now) but still, he sticks out in a crowd a little.

I've got a friend a bit like that. He's six feet tall and fairly broad with APL-BSL curly hair. He also wears his trousers below his bum, so he's very clearly male, and probably one of the few guys in town with hair like that.

*raises hand* I suspect mine is.

And a beautiful beacon it is, too!

My hair really isn't all that exceptional, but your story reminds me of one time when I was helping out in the kitchen at a party, and my family was just about ready to leave, but couldn't find me... I had my back turned, and they didn't know it was me until I turned so they could see my face. My older sister told me she didn't recognize me because my hair was so wavy! (This was about 6 months into LHC and better haircare - I discovered I had wavy hair.)

Haha, that's ace! I'm glad to hear that LHC has helped your hair out :)

AnneAdeline
July 5th, 2009, 11:31 AM
My best friend has tailbone 3b blond hair that is about 4 times as thick as mine. It is stunning. She wears it down a lot, so it's easy to find her in a crowd. When asking someone if they had seen her, I can say "Have you seen someone with curly hair?" and they point me in her direction.

My boyfriend is a redhead, and he's easy to find, too. His hair isn't long, but it's still noticeable.

I hope one day to have beacon hair!

ChatoyantLocks
July 5th, 2009, 11:33 AM
And a beautiful beacon it is, too!

Thank you! :)

meph
July 5th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Mine is, I guess. I'm easy to spot if I'm the only redhead in a crowd. A lot of people also remember me by my hair.

ReneeIstKrieg
July 5th, 2009, 12:21 PM
a friend of mine has beacon hair, but its from bleach. He just gets more easy to find in a crowd when he's got inch long black roots haha

Speckla
July 5th, 2009, 12:30 PM
My hair isn't long yet but my curls usually stand out. Everyone I work with that has curly hair either perms or flatirons their curls away.

helen2806
July 5th, 2009, 01:52 PM
One course I did in my first year at uni was probably about 90% international students mostly from Asia, so lots of very dark hair and my friend could always find my blonde head peeking out straight away!

I think because my hair is quite big and blonde it's pretty easily recognisable - think I'm 'the short one with the blonde hair' to a lot of people!

redcelticcurls
July 5th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Mine is pretty big, and pretty curly, so it usually makes it easy for people to spot me in a crowd. Lots of curlies tend to flat iron around here.

wackyredtangles
July 5th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I guess I have beacon hair. Its red with a slight brownish tint to it, but always used to lighten up in the summer. So I'd have these random blonde streaks.

I have a cousin with white hair like that. The last time I saw her she was 10, and she still had it, so I'm not sure she'll ever grow out of it.

My best friend has those super curls, 3b-3c about APL length. It was brownish with blondish highlights, just that way naturally. It always used to be how I'd find her. Then we got to highschool, and there was another girl with the exact same kind of hair, same color and everything. I got so confused the first few times I saw her.

Eryka
July 5th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Oh yeah, I'm always identified by my hair. Either its in an updo people always see me wear, or in very rare occasions, I have it down and now its past knee length, approaching my lower leg.

Its either the hair or the boobs. Whatever :shrug:

renarok
July 5th, 2009, 02:27 PM
My husband is 6'2" and when he was younger he had an afro. A big Blonde afro, He used to tan really dark because he is a carpenter, so I could always spot him in a crowd, He was a big ol sunflower.

RoseRedDead
July 5th, 2009, 02:45 PM
He was a big ol sunflower.

:laugh: Now that's a beacon!

florenonite
July 5th, 2009, 02:48 PM
My husband is 6'2" and when he was younger he had an afro. A big Blonde afro, He used to tan really dark because he is a carpenter, so I could always spot him in a crowd, He was a big ol sunflower.

Hehe, a sunflower! My flatmate's got an afro, too, but typical fair Scottish skin, so even though he's average height he's still fairly easy to spot.

lyria
July 5th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Apparently I have a hair based reputation at my school.:laugh::rollin: I find this hilarious since it's not that long. I wore a wig one Halloween and a friend of mine was standing two feet behind me and said, "Sir would you mind moving a little? You are blocking my view of the stage." He almost fainted when I turned around laughing!

GlassEyes
July 5th, 2009, 04:46 PM
My friend (who now has virgin tailbone length hair) used to chop her hair to collarbone and dye it with glow-under-a-blacklight pink streaks. We called her a 'beacon' because that's how we kept track of her short little butt in public. xD;

nowxisxforever
July 5th, 2009, 04:48 PM

Hahaha that's really cute!

Dreamernz
July 5th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Funny you should mention this. I had one major occurrence of this in my life. I moved around a lot, and I lost contact with my best friend at my first primary school in England. I hadn't seen her and had given up hope of finding her for years. On the first day of secondary school, my friend hadn't even seen my face and yet she was able to recognize me by my hair.looool. Imagine my surprise to have this voice calling out my name, with my back turned to them. Can't remember, it may have been long-ish, but not by LHC standards and brown. Lol I guess that's a sign of a true friend for an LHCer :D:D:D

viking_quest
July 5th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I keep reading beacon as bacon and it's making me hungry.

I have a friend with mid-back, blond, and extremely thick hair and I can always find her because of it.

Starr
July 5th, 2009, 10:45 PM
My hair stands out in a crowd.

It's dark, curly, and really really big!

Shorty89
July 5th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I don't really have beacon hair, unless it's "the short one with long hair," but I don't really have any other beacon to my hair. Perhaps that's why I envy those with unnatural colours...they really stand out.

noelgirl
July 5th, 2009, 11:04 PM
My hair is sometimes a beacon, but it can be deceiving. Usually people can spot me by my hair, and usually, they're right - describe someone with "long, dark hair" and usually mine is the longest and darkest. However, one time I was in an extra in a movie and another extra had hair very similar to mine. After the movie came out, a friend was watching it and got all excited because she thought she saw me in a crowd scene! I hated to break it to her that it was actually this other girl :p

Citrine
July 5th, 2009, 11:07 PM
*raises hand* My hair is completely a beacon for friends and family to find me. My hair color is similar to the OP's sister's hair, and very shiny. When the sun shines on it...:cool: bring out the sunglasses. Once when walking in a crowd of students on the way to visit friends in a dormitory those same friends saw me coming from hundreds of yards away.
When feeling self-conscious I just want to wrap this hair up in a scarf or something to just tone it down. Lately though I've learned to accept my hair for how it is and kind of like how flashy it is and it's ability to draw the gazes of strangers :whistle: Nothing in the world can make me change hair color now from the natural white-blond I am.

florenonite
July 6th, 2009, 11:17 AM
*raises hand* My hair is completely a beacon for friends and family to find me. My hair color is similar to the OP's sister's hair, and very shiny. When the sun shines on it...:cool: bring out the sunglasses. Once when walking in a crowd of students on the way to visit friends in a dormitory those same friends saw me coming from hundreds of yards away.
When feeling self-conscious I just want to wrap this hair up in a scarf or something to just tone it down. Lately though I've learned to accept my hair for how it is and kind of like how flashy it is and it's ability to draw the gazes of strangers :whistle: Nothing in the world can make me change hair color now from the natural white-blond I am.

My sister used to want to dye her hair because people used to ask her if she dyed it when it was natural, but recently has begun to love it. I'm glad, because I think it's a beautiful colour, and it suits her (she has white skin; the only other colour that would suit her, IMO, would be ginger).

Dex
July 6th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I'm a somewhat tall lad with a foof of red hair.
A friend said he would have driven around the park a couple more times (4th of July) if he hadn't spotted me first. :)