PDA

View Full Version : Sushi Bun

tiny_teesha
July 4th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I *think* I invented it....tell me if it exhists.
It's really easy to do.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc139/tiny_teesha/My%20Hair/hair%202/loopeasybun.jpg

1- Tie hair in a pony tail
2- On last loop just stick enough hair out to make a bump, there shouldn't even be room to stick a finger in. (like a very tight loop)
3- Wrap ends around the bun and secure with a pin or clip.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc139/tiny_teesha/My%20Hair/hair%202/sushi2.jpg
1- See how when you pull hair through to make it tighter it is a loop
2- On the last loop pull slowly
3- Just enough to make a tiny loop
4- Side view. Depending on your hair length and thickness your loop will need to be looser for longer hair or just use half your hair to make a loop with for thicker hair. I made this loop slightly too big as my thumb fits through it (my hair is tapered and not very long).
5- Pull the tail up
6- Pull the tail to the left
7- Move tail under the loop and to the right. This is a circular motion, you will be winding the rest of the ends like this around the loop created in step 3.
8- Secure ends with a bobby pin or mini claw clasp, etc. (if you have extremely long hair and taper without extremely slippery hair, then you could leave it unsecured.

DONE!

My hair is not even BSL and has lots of taper, so not sure how it would work with longer thicker hair, you could probably make a fairly decent loop with that kind of hair?

I named it a sushi bun because it resembles sushi....to me :)

Bene
July 4th, 2009, 09:09 PM
it DOES look like sushi :)

embee
July 4th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Ha! That's cute, and it *does* look a bit like a sushi! :)

Akiko
July 4th, 2009, 09:30 PM
:sushi::sushi::sushi::sushi::sushi:

LOL! Sushi roll.

:sushi::sushi::sushi::sushi::sushi:

tiny_teesha
July 4th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Thanks guys! If anyone is willing to try it on their hair please don't hesitate to pop up a photo! :)

swirlytresses
July 4th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I agree, it looks like sushi :D.

Quixii
July 4th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Nice! I do like how it looks in your hair. I bet you could stick some hair sticks in it and have some chopsticks with your sushi. :D

I decided I had to try this since my hair was already in an elastic.
... I couldn't get it to work. It would feel like it was okay, and then the ends would just slip. I don't have much of a taper, so maybe those little clips just won't do it? Plus, the one time it stayed longer than two seconds (literally), it looks kinda big and weird, from the angle I could see it at. :( I hope someone else can get it to work in their hair..

psvzum
July 4th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I love it! Very pretty : )

swirlytresses
July 4th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Sushi...chopsticks..:lol:

Kristen_Marie
July 4th, 2009, 09:57 PM
How cool! I work part time at Costco as a sample server and have to wear a hair-net because of it. I use a similar method and it has been the only effective way I could think of to get my hair up and under what proves to be a very small net. -__-; I can't get it to stay up without using five or six elastics, however. (The clip just isn't big enough) So it's not good for my type of hair.

Thanks for posting this! It looks gorgeous on you ^_^ Very much like a little sushi roll!

tiny_teesha
July 4th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Quixii - your hair must be so healthy it's slippery- that's a good thing!
And yes, chops sticks would be FUNNY, especially one with sushi drawn on them!!!
Kristen Marie- Thank you! :) I thought so! I wear this at work under my hat sometimes. :)

jeno
July 5th, 2009, 12:31 AM
This is my first attempt:
http://i42.tinypic.com/120m7fr.jpg
I secured it with a mini clawclip and it feels safe. Very easy hairstyle! Looks sofisticated. (But mine doesn't look like sushi... I think I made the loop too big.)

chotee
July 5th, 2009, 03:09 AM
I think its very elegant...i am sure i can try it when my hair is oiled...

tiny_teesha
July 5th, 2009, 03:38 AM
jeno- yeah the loop has to be reallllly tiny, but yours still look sreally lovely and very different considering you are blonde! It looks very lovely still!
chotee- I recommend you try it it's so easy to do! :) Goodluck!

eadwine
July 5th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Looks cool!

It reminds me of that bun that sumo wrestlers have.

Ryanne
July 5th, 2009, 05:17 AM
It does look sushi-like, very nice.

Lohari
July 5th, 2009, 05:39 AM
I want sushi now.... ;__; I have to try this and try not to eat my hair.

tiny_teesha
July 5th, 2009, 07:13 AM
lohari- luckily it is humanly incapable to be able to bite the back of ones head!

Speckla
July 5th, 2009, 07:23 AM
lohari- luckily it is humanly incapable to be able to bite the back of ones head!

IDK, mothers have eyes in the back of their heads...so why not teeth?

gmdiaz
July 5th, 2009, 07:56 AM
This is so cute. . .looks good with a little or larger loop!

I tried it to and do just love it!

Thank you!

angelthadiva
July 5th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Very cute, TT!! :thumbsup:

Konstifik
July 5th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Very nice! Well done. But you made me hungry. :P

demitasse
July 5th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Ooh. I love it. I've got coarse iii hair so my sushi is definitely more than one bite. Actually, this could probably serve a few people but I still like the way it looks. I also used a mini jaw clip, hidden underneath. Please ignore the little twiggy layers sticking out. They can easily be tucked in and smoothed out of the way.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3428&pictureid=43576

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3428&pictureid=43577

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3428&pictureid=43578

I'll have to remember to try this when I reach waist or longer, since this was made just grazing BSL. I can't imagine the giant puff of sushi I'll have on the back of my head.

Thanks for the instructions. :)

RoseRedDead
July 5th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Mmm, sushi... I'll have to try this. :)

HisForever
July 5th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I think its pretty I will have to try once my hair gets a bit longer :)

Dementia1013
July 5th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Ooh. I love it. I've got coarse iii hair so my sushi is definitely more than one bite. Actually, this could probably serve a few people but I still like the way it looks. I also used a mini jaw clip, hidden underneath. Please ignore the little twiggy layers sticking out. They can easily be tucked in and smoothed out of the way.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3428&pictureid=43577

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3428&pictureid=43578

I'll have to remember to try this when I reach waist or longer, since this was made just grazing BSL. I can't imagine the giant puff of sushi I'll have on the back of my head.

Thanks for the instructions. :)

That's how mine turned out... I tried making the inside smaller, but then it slid out of the rubberband. :o

Jemoiselle
July 5th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Oh, you're going to laugh. This bun actually makes me want to go get some sushi! Alas, we live in the middle of New Mexico, not a sushi bar in sight. Oh the horror! I am going to try this bun later this evening, good job creating something fun! If my attempt is pic worthy, I will post back here an action shot ok?

Again, you are so mean for making me crave sushi and brilliant for committing such a brutal act so beautifully hehe!

demitasse
July 5th, 2009, 01:30 PM
That's how mine turned out... I tried making the inside smaller, but then it slid out of the rubberband. :o

Yeah, that was the absolute smallest loop I could make without it popping out of the elastic. Might have to try little twin sushi rolls rather than just one.

tiny_teesha
July 6th, 2009, 03:25 AM
specklah- LOL!
gmdiaz- you're welcome! I can't believe it hasn't already been made up, i'm waiting for someone to burst my bubble
Konstifik - sorry for making you hungry! haha
demitasse - your welcome and thanks for posting photos! I love your chocolate hair colour!! :) And your giant sushi looks like it could feed a whole family *so jealous*
Jemoiselle- haah awaiting your action shot! ;) haha! Your welcome i guess?

Perhaps if you guys are having difficulty with the loop being small get those metal less bands that are no slip with a good strong hold...that is what i used anyway. :) Works a treat! But it looked right to me! :)

Aditi
July 6th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Yay!!!! a new bun to learn :joy:, thanks for sharing it with us. And those who tried out and posted their photos here their buns looks elegant and cute to me, i can't wait to try it out.

Kylis
July 6th, 2009, 04:26 AM
I will definitely try it when time comes..... In the meanwhile I will go and get some sushi :)

tiny_teesha
July 7th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Did i realyl invent this? Can't be i made up ANOTHER hair style...just can't be!!! haha.
I'm sure i've just stolen a style from ignorance, and it just has another name...something less edible probably!

Dvips
July 7th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I love this bun! I can't do it on my own hair (too short right now) but I hope I remember it when my hair is long again.

Plus, it looks like we may finally have a bun that actually looks better with thinner hair (for the small, tightly folded inside "bump"). :hollie:

RedStripe
July 7th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Cute -- I'll have to wear my sushi earrings when I try it!

JKRBeloved
July 7th, 2009, 07:21 PM
This is SO adorable, and the idea of using chopsticks to adorn the sushi bun is too good to pass up. Congratulations on a great bun.

Whimsical wind
July 8th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Very cute! And you hair is lovely and shiney too. :D

Dementia1013
July 8th, 2009, 01:24 AM
I keep trying this one, but I can't get the loop small enough! :(

Calanthe
July 8th, 2009, 03:17 AM
It's great. I wore it the last two days. And the best thing is: even the updo klutz (me!) got it perfect on the first try.

Thank you! :D

JamieLeigh
July 8th, 2009, 08:59 AM
That looks awesome!! Man, I'm hungry.....

Coriander
July 8th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I tried this a few times last night - my hair must be too long to wrap around the little bump. I tried a bigger bump, and ended up with this...

(I was going to put a carrot stick in there with the chopsticks but discovered I was out of carrots :p)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2409&pictureid=43873

demitasse
July 8th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I figured out the too-big loop issue for the people with iii hair. When you're putting the elastic in and you're ready to make the loop, split the ponytail in half and just loop half of it. Then wrap the whole tail around the loop. I had to pinch the loop as I was wrapping it so it wouldn't come undone but it worked.

I'll try to get some pictures of the loop and the finished bun when I get home. :)

eresh
July 8th, 2009, 02:17 PM
oooh I only see this now, it really looks like sushi!
going to try this soon

KatKeRo
July 8th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Tried this today and it really is a comfortable bun and for some reason I craved sushi the whole day. I wonder why?

demitasse
July 8th, 2009, 05:30 PM
This bun is so easy, cute, and comfortable, I'm determined to master it with thick hair. So instead of making a full loop to start, I divided my ponytail in half and only pulled one section to make the loop. To wit:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3428&pictureid=43881

Then I wrapped both tails together around the loop and clipped it underneath with a mini jaw clip. This definitely needs a little aloe vera gel to smooth it down a little because my layers are sticking out but it's very secure.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3428&pictureid=43882

It's still a big piece of sushi but considering what I started with, it's much more manageable and sushi-like. The Original Sushi That Ate Demitasse:

Hope this helps some of the other thickies out there who want to master this adorable bun. These pictures are all in my albums too. :)

tiny_teesha
July 8th, 2009, 05:55 PM
RedStripe -sounds like an idea!
Whimsical wind - thanks!
Dementia1013 - You might need to try a less slippery elastic...or do it on newly washes hair without as much slip? Maybe after a clarifying session?
Calanthe - glad to hear it is such a success!
JamieLeigh - hahaha!
Coriander - it looks beautiful and very smart how you tailored it for your hair length and thickness. :)
eresh - haha, i was going to call it a "loop" bun but that's just no fun is it?
KatKeRo - there's a commmon symptom out here.....
demitasse- what an excellent idea for those with thick long hair! Thanks for the tute for those who like picture progression! :) It looks GREAT in your hair! :)

tiny_teesha
November 25th, 2010, 06:41 AM
demitasse- hey i was wondering if you're hair is past waist now, you can try the bun again ??

Copasetic
November 25th, 2010, 07:10 AM
LOL, the name is adorable; and it looks good too!

Neoma
November 25th, 2010, 08:34 AM
It's beautiful. I'm sorry, I seem to be missing some steps between 1 and 2. Could you please take a stab at fleshing out the instructions?

cariboo
November 25th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I've just spent about 20mins trying unsuccessfully to do this neatly :( (my hair is too *slippy* and just keeps popping back out... and also I still have layers, which makes it all a bit raggedy...) but ended up with something totally different which also looks quite nice, hurrah for happy accidents! :)

Aleria
November 25th, 2010, 02:19 PM
:O
I love it! Going to try it when I get home, though maybe with my thickness it won't work...

CaityBear
November 25th, 2010, 04:53 PM
And now I want sushi...doesn't help that I'm work through supper (until 8 tonight) and don't have any food...just a couple snack type items...

I might have to try this soon. Right now my hair is sewn into a crown braid so it'd be hard to do...plus I probably shouldn't it at work. haha

Mmm, sushi...really want some now!

triumphator!
November 25th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I tried this on my gross day 4 after washing, 20" long hair and got something really silly. the ends wrapped around the sushi roll part flared out at the top and it looked ridiculous.

tiny_teesha
November 26th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Copasetic - Ok, so basically tie your hair in a ponytail. You know how when you're pulling your ends through it forms a loop, before you pull it out all the way and it becomes a tail?
Just don't pull your ends all the way out, infact, just only slightly pull the tail out so it doesn't even form a loop, but a bump. This might have to be adjusted according to how much hair you have. I don't have much so just a little bump worked for me. With iii people they found only pulling half the hair out of the elastic worked.
I'll try explaining it one more time. So tie your hair in a loose pony tail (don't wrap the elastic too many times, just one short of being perfect snug fit. Then, on the last time of securing the hair band by pulling hair through, only pull hair slightly, so you end up with a bump.

I'll put up photos now (I'll edit the first page i think).

tiny_teesha
November 26th, 2010, 01:30 AM
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc139/tiny_teesha/My%20Hair/hair%202/sushi2.jpg
1- See how when you pull hair through to make it tighter it is a loop
2- On the last loop pull slowly
3- Just enough to make a tiny loop
4- Side view. Depending on your hair length and thickness your loop will need to be looser for longer hair or just use half your hair to make a loop with for thicker hair. I made this loop slightly too big as my thumb fits through it (my hair is tapered and not very long).
5- Pull the tail up
6- Pull the tail to the left
7- Move tail under the loop and to the right. This is a circular motion, you will be winding the rest of the ends like this around the loop created in step 3.
8- Secure ends with a bobby pin or mini claw clasp, etc. (if you have extremely long hair and taper without extremely slippery hair, then you could leave it unsecured.

DONE!

I've added this to the front page to make it easier for people stumbling across the thread for the first time.

KittyLost
November 26th, 2010, 04:20 AM
It does look like sushi! Haha very cute :)

Neoma
November 26th, 2010, 07:04 AM
tiny teesha, thank you so much for the very clear instructions and pics! Now I get it! I will try this! :flowers:

tinygirl
November 26th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Oh this looks so cute! I love it!
Definitely testing it out once my hair is dry (just washed it, so in 5/6 hours time)!

cariboo
November 29th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Cheers for the pics tiny_teesha (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=10562) :) that makes it way clearer - I will have another go... your hair looks amazingly shiny & healthy by the way

:)

tiny_teesha
April 26th, 2012, 05:57 AM
How did it go?

AdaClare
April 26th, 2012, 09:00 PM
oo I like it! I'll give it a try sometime. :D

WaitingSoLong
April 27th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Going to try this soon! I just keep forgetting until I already have my hair up for the day.

PinkyCat
April 27th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Look at my giant mutant alien piece of sushi!! :p

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/lisa-lisa-albums-buns-picture1019-sushi-bun.jpg

lolot
April 27th, 2012, 10:46 AM
i like it, yum sushi :D

Knotted
April 27th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I did the Sushi Bun last night, but I can't upload the photo :( I'll keep trying and post it here when it works!

Nightshade
April 27th, 2012, 12:35 PM
You know, with the right color(s) of ombre hair, it COULD look like a sushi roll :lol:

Kitsu
April 27th, 2012, 12:44 PM
http://sadpanda.us/images/936879-ELI3G88.jpg

mine does not look like sushi. Loop too big? But I could only find a scrunchie instead of a hair band

MrsGuther
July 30th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Cool! I like that sushi bun! :)

jacqueline101
July 30th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I think its pretty.

SongofLove
August 1st, 2012, 12:08 AM
OMG that is the cutest bun ever!!