PDA

View Full Version : SOs + LHC experiments

PurpleAshes
July 4th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Does your SO let you try LHC stuff on their hair?
Share stories! :)

Yesterday I prepared a brown sugar scrub for my DBF to use it on his scalp, since he was having product buildup. Afterwards, he was all "Ooooh, ahhh, it feels so fresh!" It was very cute :D
Overall he's very supportive of my hair/LHC obsession, he even begged me to make him an album xD

Natalia
July 4th, 2009, 09:11 PM

Yesterday I prepared a brown sugar scrub for my DBF to use it on his scalp, since he was having product buildup. Afterwards, he was all "Ooooh, ahhh, it feels so fresh!" It was very cute :D
Overall he's very supportive of my hair/LHC obsession, he even begged me to make him an album xD

Awww! Thats so sweet :). I have no SO to speak of right now :(.... But im trying to get my family into it! My aunt just asked for the recipe for kimberlily's she used while she was here :D. And ive got my mom to do a few deep oilings. My sister is kind of a lost cause lol. She insists she has no time to experiment. Well if she had healthier hair she would spend less time blowfrying and spraying it to death. To her credit though while not healthy her hair always looks incredible....im jelous :rolleyes:. Cant get any of my friends to try either. Though since its summer i might have gottem my curly friend into using aloe to define her curs before goingto the beach! Now if only i could get her to use some coconut oil....:eyebrows:

PurpleAshes
July 4th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Familiy? That's great that you can at least try :D - mine would think I'm going nuts with the things I try xD
They already think it's crazy enough not going to the salon to get my hair blowfried every week. :rolleyes:

Nat242
July 4th, 2009, 10:12 PM
My partner has gorgeous APL hair and he's really receptive to any LHC advice I have. He's always had some scalp issues, but since he tried diluted shampoo, vinegar rinses, and occasional scalp oilings they've cleared up nicely.

He also uses hair sticks on special occasions (NightBlooming on Etsy custom made some beautiful, "manly" sticks for him) and he's contemplating henna'ing his beard. ;)

theshadowpuppet
July 4th, 2009, 10:23 PM
My boyfriend buzzes his hair off pretty regularly. He won't even keep it an inch long. Something about buzzed length hair bothers me, since it's not bald, but it's not long enough to look like.. hair.

He has asked me to bleach and dye his hair for him before when he had it an inch or two long.

Oh, but I have applied catnip to my mom's hair to help with some scalp issues. I might cassia her greys if she wants, since I'll be ordering some for conditioning properties.

may1em
July 4th, 2009, 10:52 PM
No. He'll use stuff in the shower that he recognizes as shampoo and conditioner when he visits if he forgot his. But that's about the extent of it. He wouldn't know what to do with my bottle of diluted Queen Helene Mint Julep shampoo.

However, I got him into Frizz-ease before I went no-cone, and he'll be using that stuff for life.

nowxisxforever
July 4th, 2009, 10:59 PM
My boyfriend generally resists, but if there's something new in the shower that he (like the above!) recognizes as shampoo or conditioner or I've told him about it and how to use it, he will. I think he tried my shampoo bars (didn't like them, but didn't do a vinegar rinse) and he tried my Jason Tea Tree 'poo I got on a whim the last time he washed his hair. He will also periodically use my oils to slick his hair back into a ponytail.

Too bad he won't trust me that ripping the brush through his hair from the roots to the ends in one fell swoop is why his hair has so much breakage.

Natalia
July 4th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Familiy? That's great that you can at least try :D - mine would think I'm going nuts with the things I try xD
They already think it's crazy enough not going to the salon to get my hair blowfried every week. :rolleyes:

Hehehe yeah i try to keep it tame though. When my indian herbs arrived my mom asked if it was herbal scouring powder or something :rolleyes:. My family has thought i am nuts for years the heair experiments are just icing. When i tell people im not chem dyeing myhair but not keeping it its natural color they get the most puzzeled looks :p. Yeah COing is weird enough for them forget walking around with an SMT on my head. After that they just shake their head and go into another room while i mix or use my concoctions. Like today, my mom saw me rubbing emu oil on my scalp last night for a massage (it had EO's in it too) and she was like you just showered why are you making yourself greasy again? You just complained about it a fee days ago! This morning i slept in so she knew i didnt shower but when i combed my hair it wasnt greasy :magic: :eyebrows:. Hahaha that was priceless watcher her face trying to figure it out :p. Non hair folk amuse me :D

hennaphile
July 4th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Yes, he does. But he's still going to cut it :wail:

Accutane did not play nice with his hair (I love it anyway) so he wants to cut it, treat it from the beginning, then grow it long.

rogue_psyche
July 5th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Mine loves CV Citrus Chamomile poo bars. He's a benign neglect kinda guy and even though he's not growing his hair he doesn't wash every day. I'd like to see him grow longer if he wanted to, but his boss tells him to cut his hair.

He's supportive of my experiments and is my henna applier. He also is very helpful when I'm trying to decide what to do with my hair.

redneckprincess
July 5th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I usually do the stranger ones while he is gone to work

PurpleAshes
July 5th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Yes, he does. But he's still going to cut it :wail:

Accutane did not play nice with his hair (I love it anyway) so he wants to cut it, treat it from the beginning, then grow it long.

Awww, that's a shame.. I understand him though. I went trough an acne treatment too and lost a BIG fraction of my hair. It was very thin and I really didn't like it (add flat iron damage to that :s), so I cut it gradually. I went from waist (when I started the treatment) to chin. The good thing is he will be able to start growing it again in perfect condition :cheese:

After that they just shake their head and go into another room while i mix or use my concoctions.

Hahaha, I imagine it must be very funny.
Oh, and my DBF likes to call them consomés instead of concotions. Like chicken consome xD

No. He'll use stuff in the shower that he recognizes as shampoo and conditioner when he visits if he forgot his. But that's about the extent of it. He wouldn't know what to do with my bottle of diluted Queen Helene Mint Julep shampoo.

However, I got him into Frizz-ease before I went no-cone, and he'll be using that stuff for life.

Hah, that's funny :)

My partner has gorgeous APL hair and he's really receptive to any LHC advice I have. He's always had some scalp issues, but since he tried diluted shampoo, vinegar rinses, and occasional scalp oilings they've cleared up nicely.

Ohh, you just gave me an idea, thanks! It didn't ocurr to me using vinegar on his scalp..

Hehehehe, the secret life your husband doesn't know :p

Laurel32
July 5th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I don't have a SO, but this morning I was trying a protein treatment with eggs in our bathroom and my mom gave me this really strange look as she passed me putting eggs in my hair. :P

viking_quest
July 5th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I don't have a SO but I try things out on my mom. Things always work wonderfully on her hair but not on mine.

Samitra
July 5th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I'm going to try some treatments on DBF next week. He's got a flaky scalp, and the skin under his beard seems really dry aswell. Haven't decided what to do yet. It's got to be something he can put in his face, and I'm not sure he will agree to wrapping his face in cling film to cover a DT with honey and aloe vera. It'll probably be an oil treatment, maybe with some aloe vera gel...

I've been talking about wanting to do it for a month now, and he's finally agreed. :cheese:

I've also talked a friend into doing a DT with egg yolks. I did get some help from her sister though. And this friend is a big fan of doing things from scratch (she makes her own lip balm and body lotion).

What I really want to do is to give my sister some advice on taking care of her curls. My hair is straight, so she won't listen to me when I beg her to moisturize her hair. She says that conditioner takes the curl out, and maybe she's right, but her hair feels so dry. But she realized years ago that finger combing was way better than brushing in order to keep the curls.

Samitra
July 5th, 2009, 11:13 AM

I go to my place to do things involving food in my hair. DBF has come to understand the power of honey, but he's not yet accepting yoghurt, eggs or olive oil. Sometimes it's just easier to make these experiments while alone, instead of trying to explain to someone who doesn't want to understand. :D

may1em
July 5th, 2009, 11:37 AM
PurpleAshes - I started with the FrizzEase back in '06 when I had shoulder-length hair. It made shoulder-length manageable in a way I didn't know it could be (coming from devotion to a wedge cut). I guess I needed it at that stage of growth. Heck, I didn't even decide to grow long on purpose until early 07.

DBF loves the stuff. He's totally not into any of my "experiments" - he doesn't like any facial cleanser that doesn't foam because "how do you know it's working?" He's (sort of) ok with my love of the natural, organic, and homemade because he knows how sensitive my skin is and I can always plead irritation from conventional stuff; but he trusts medicated, mass-marketed stuff for himself.

ReneeIstKrieg
July 5th, 2009, 12:18 PM
haha my boyfriend always teases me for being obsessed with my hair but a few days ago he confessed to trying a CO wash and i already convinced him to CWC and fingercomb instead of ripping the brush through. He's already an LHC convert and doesn't even know it haha

Speckla
July 5th, 2009, 12:19 PM
My husband is glad that I've found LCH and NC because my hair is healthier and curlier now that it's ever been. Soon it'll be longer than it's ever been. He even CO now.

Loviatar
July 5th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I have the most supportive SO ever. He is encouraging of me growing my hair, doesnt mind me trying seven million different new things, rarely mentions the stack of products slowly taking over the bathroom, occasionally sniffs and pulls funny faces when I do henna or weird smelling oils, and now has decided to start stealing my hair vitamins so he can grow his own hair - which is not only naturally red, but naturally thick and curly - the git :lol:

oh and he takes all my hair pictures :crush:

truepeacenik
July 5th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I loaned one of my Ric (sierra legacy) combs to my male friend and he loved it.
He's wary of getting an expensive one since he mislays combs a lot, but said he's hitting Whole Paycheck for a wood comb.
He's got hair that can take the ripping and not split.
but he's smart enough to say "wow" when my hair is down.
They do get smarter with age.

RoseRedDead
July 5th, 2009, 02:48 PM
No SO here that I can speak of <insert wistful sigh>.

But my family thinks I'm absolutely nuts with all my experiments and treatments and so forth... well, they did at first, now they just think it's me. I've tried to proselytize them into being gentler with their hair... don't know that it's working...

hennaphile
July 5th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Awww, that's a shame.. I understand him though. I went trough an acne treatment too and lost a BIG fraction of my hair. It was very thin and I really didn't like it (add flat iron damage to that :s), so I cut it gradually. I went from waist (when I started the treatment) to chin. The good thing is he will be able to start growing it again in perfect condition :cheese:

Aww, I'm so sorry you lost so much hair! The thing is though, it started growing as a different texture over a year after he went of of it. It used to be straight and shiny, now it's dry and kinky, so he' thinking that if he starts treating it from short lengths that it will be easier to to maintain. It's a pretty odd reaction, I'm not sure what happened:confused:

enfys
July 5th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I don't think you can CWC half an inch of hair, but my fiance is very supportive and useful. He recently did my Holland and Barratt shop (with a detailed list) and got it all right, he sits in a park for five hours while I talk hair, ferries me off to places to buy herbs, takes my photos, plaits my hair and puts up with me!

He also told me one day that he will take me to a GM salon, and thought it was reasonably priced.

Yes he's a keeper.

The rest of my family think I'm nuts, but they knew it already. I think they miss the windowsills in the bathroom.

RocketDog
July 5th, 2009, 05:56 PM
My husband doesn't have much hair, but he has benefited from my LHC research! Vinegar rinses, honey treatments for his scalp, better quality shampoo... his head is much happier now than it was a year ago ;)

Natalia
July 5th, 2009, 06:08 PM

Eeeeek! That scares me my brain just caught on to the fact that accutane is isotretinoin :agape: . I have tretinoin cream that i just started using again for the stupid milia around my eyes :(. I think accutane is oral though right? Gosh i hope i wont lose any more hair....

Anyway to keep to topic i suggested the other day that my BIL try some vinager on his itchy scalp he actually went to go get it but then called and told me they were out and asked if mustanrd would work LOL! I guess he figured that vinager was high on the list on ingredients?

MomoKoNoHanna
July 5th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Nope, but he doesn't mine me doing them on myself :D He has been using the same shampoo and conditioner ever since he was a kid! I think its due to his allergie sysmptons and he has sensitive skin and I have those things in common as well (though more on the allergie side) but im more open to experiementing mostly due to the fact I take the time to read things and I know mostly what I am allergic to. For him I think if he find something he likes he will stick to it untill that product becomes discontinued. My Mum thought I was weird when I started oiling my hair lol but now she seems to understand it but she would not do it her self. I should try and get my sister into this but she is on 12 hour shifts now and harldy goes online as it is.

hennaphile
July 5th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Eeeeek! That scares me my brain just caught on to the fact that accutane is isotretinoin :agape: . I have tretinoin cream that i just started using again for the stupid milia around my eyes :(. I think accutane is oral though right? Gosh i hope i wont lose any more hair....

Anyway to keep to topic i suggested the other day that my BIL try some vinager on his itchy scalp he actually went to go get it but then called and told me they were out and asked if mustanrd would work LOL! I guess he figured that vinager was high on the list on ingredients?

Oh don't worry :) it is oral, so so long as you aren't putting it on your scalp I wouldn't fret.

Accutane can cause hairloss, but I thought it wasn't permanent, nor would it permanently alter the structure of the hair :confused:

I was lucky, when I was on it it didn't affect my hair.

WritingPrincess
July 5th, 2009, 07:33 PM
No SO here, but my dad was the first in my family to go WO. He buzzed it all off one summer--I think the summer before I joined here. Then my mother went WO, but tapered off much more slowly. My two sisters are mostly SO, with a WO rinse every week or two. I'm the only one left using S/C.

Natalia
July 5th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Oh don't worry :) it is oral, so so long as you aren't putting it on your scalp I wouldn't fret.

Accutane can cause hairloss, but I thought it wasn't permanent, nor would it permanently alter the structure of the hair :confused:

I was lucky, when I was on it it didn't affect my hair.

Oh thank goodness! Boy does accutane really do that to your follicles? Scary.... Man yeah my acne isnt bad enough for oral meds nor would i really care to take them. I use it mostly for the milia and hormonal doozies.

hennaphile
July 7th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Oh thank goodness! Boy does accutane really do that to your follicles? Scary.... Man yeah my acne isnt bad enough for oral meds nor would i really care to take them. I use it mostly for the milia and hormonal doozies.

It can, but not for everyone. The idea is that hairloss/altering goes back to normal , but for him it never did :(

Really explore all other options first if you ever get the thought in your head to take it :eek:

Bene
July 7th, 2009, 02:57 AM
no, my b/f shaves his head and doesn't want to grow. but he listens patiently while i describe in detail whatever experiment i have planned, even though i know he really isn't all that interested :)

Phoenix81377
August 7th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I know this thread is a bit over a month old but I had to contribute. My honey is currently sitting behind me at his PC with hendigo'd hair (over silver so it is sort of reddish mousy brown) and lets me massage his head daily with a mix of mega-tek, coconut oil, tea-tree and rosemary. I also crafitily replaced his normal t-gel with Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo and after he stopped screaming about the burn he laughed at me and call me his corporate come hippy wife. He now likes the tingle - I guess knowing it's coming makes all the difference! LOL!

GlassEyes
August 7th, 2009, 03:30 PM
No SO to speak of, but my family has taken on some of my habits. They all know I'm completely obsessed with my hair, but I'm still reluctant to speak of it in detail anyway. Still, my mom oils her hair with avocado butter at night and has started using my Kinky Curly Curling Custard (I had no hope of straight hair--her hair type is almost the same as mine). Her ex uses cholesterol and gets the deep treatments I don't like--usually protein, but she's a chemical dyer/bleacher, so she needs it more than me, I guess.

My sister, on the other hand, is going on her third year of cosmetology school., o anything I say to her is moot. xD; She dyes and fries the hair of everyone in the house. XD; 'Cept for me.

RancheroTheBee
August 7th, 2009, 04:08 PM
My SO currently has a buzz, but he wants to grow it out again, and he lets me ramble on about 'cones and cutting down on washing and vitamins, etc, etc.

That said, he won't let me do anything other than shampoo it. That's his limit.

joyellen
August 7th, 2009, 04:26 PM
DBF likes to put my hairsticks in his hair. It's between APL and would-be BSL. I think he really wants one of his own. He also lets me practice braids in his hair, and has finally stopped brushing his curls in favor of a wide toothed comb. The other day he told me his hair is feeling a bit dry, and asked me to do "one of those weird hair treatments" for him. :grin:

prettigurl
August 7th, 2009, 04:34 PM
My hubby lets me experiment in his hair all the time. I buy him tons of hair products, I trim his hair, and sometimes I practice my buns on his hair since our hair is about the same length.

Fillette
August 7th, 2009, 04:45 PM
My DBF is very supportive. He keeps his hair really short but he's always trying to use my stuff. He already uses my Suave conditioner, my coconut oil, my aloe vera gel. LOL :D Whenever I am doing something to my hair, he always asks: "oooh what's that stuff? Huh? Coconut oil? what does it do? Hey I need some too! My hair needs to be moisturized too!" He even did a couple of henna applications with me. Now, he started taking my biotin! When I asked him if he knew what it was for, he said "I know it's good for hair and I need healthy beautiful hair too!"
Anyway, he cracks me up all the time. He is curious and always supportive! Yeah, he is a keeper. ;) :D

redneckprincess
August 7th, 2009, 05:48 PM
My husband wants me to have long natural colored hair. but he dosnt want hair longer then about 2 inches on his head, though he said when he was a teen he had longer hair.

EtherealOde
August 7th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Mine doesn't have any hair for me to experiment on, lol. He shaves his head, and has for years. But he does let me rub it with coconut oil or shea butter when his scalp looks dry or flakey. And he is pretty good about helping me with my hair when I need it, like doing root touch-ups and measuring. And doesn't laugh about some of the recipes I talk about trying, or complain about money spent for hair stuff. He really is a sweetheart. :heartbeat

Cosmic Ant
August 8th, 2009, 08:08 PM

When are you making the next consomé? :cool:

Aer
August 8th, 2009, 08:30 PM
My husband is enthralled with LHC! Anytime I get a new shampoo, or treatment he's just as excited as me about it. His coworkers ask him about hair care all the time, because he talks about it so much at his breaktime. He has almost shoulder length hair, but isn't really wanting to be a long hair, he just thinks its important to take care of your hair and skin. He's a big shampoo bar user like me. Its cool to have someone to have indepth hair conversations with, because actually my mom and sister really have no interest in it, their more into make up ansd clothes, although they have gorgeous locks.

PurpleAshes
August 8th, 2009, 09:02 PM
When are you making the next consomé? :cool:
Heh, whenever you want!

My husband is enthralled with LHC! Anytime I get a new shampoo, or treatment he's just as excited as me about it. His coworkers ask him about hair care all the time, because he talks about it so much at his breaktime. He has almost shoulder length hair, but isn't really wanting to be a long hair, he just thinks its important to take care of your hair and skin. He's a big shampoo bar user like me. Its cool to have someone to have indepth hair conversations with, because actually my mom and sister really have no interest in it, their more into make up ansd clothes, although they have gorgeous locks.

Ohh that's great that his co-workers ask him about it!

Speckla
August 8th, 2009, 09:11 PM
My husband now scritches and cowashes and uses coconut oil twice a week. His scalp was flakey and itches and dandruffy. He had medicated shampoo that left his hair dry and brittle. He had just given up and was wo because he thought nothing worked. He has a skin condition and wouldn't believe me when I mentioned that the above would actually make it better. He finally saw that my hair looks better than ever and he tried them.

JamieLeigh
August 10th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I haven't actually gotten my DH to let me try anything out on him, but I think he's finally stopped rolling his eyes every time he sees me mixing up stuff in the kitchen to use on my hair. :D That, to me, is progress, lol.