PDA

View Full Version : A little hair help

crimsonangel
July 4th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Hey everyone, I just graduated from High school and am wanting to grow my hair out to at least my mid back. My School didn't let me keep my hair any longer than 3 inches. Right now my hair is almost to my chin in length. I'm a guy by the way. The thing is I'm having some problems with my shampoos and conditioner.

I have dark brown very think hair but when I run my fingers through it my hair feels sort of strainy and coarse quite similar to straw.

The normal shampoos and conditioners I use to use don't work the same any more. After using them and washing them out my hair gains this weird constituency sort of rubbery it becomes extremely tangled and no longer looks as smooth, it gains an almost adhesive and abrasive like quality. I have Used head and shoulders, dove, Pantene pro v and some other ones but still the same. Lately I bought some shampoo and conditioner from the Phyto brand because I have read many positive things about them.
I have two samples of shampoo (PhytoJoba - Intense Hydrating Shampoo and PhytoProgenium Intelligent Shampoo. I also bought the PhytoSesame - Express Hydrating Conditioner).
When I used the PhytoJoba it smelled amazing but in the end my hair still felt rubbery (but not as bad) after using it and I really didn't notice much. It didn't really feel any smoother or silky like at all. When applying the PhytoSesame it did remove the tangles and did slightly improve my hairs softness but still didn't do as much as expected.
When using the PhytoProgenium my hair became extremely tangled and knotted and even when using PhytoSesame the tangles were difficult to get out.
Now I don't want to just give up on the Phyto brand, perhaps I should use another type of shampoo by them like perhaps the Phytonectar Shampoo?

neon-dream
July 4th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Hello and welcome to LHC! :flowers:
I'm not sure, but have you ever clarified your hair? The feeling in your hair could be due to build up.

crimsonangel
July 4th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Hello and welcome to LHC! :flowers:
I'm not sure, but have you ever clarified your hair? The feeling in your hair could be due to build up.
No, never Clarified, but i never use any product on my hair so I assumed I didn't have to.

danacc
July 4th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Welcome to the community!

I agree with neon-dream on starting with a clarifying shampoo. It doesn't need to be an expensive one. Any shampoo that says "clarifying" on the bottle should do the trick. Wash with the clarifying shampoo, and then I'd suggest using your normal conditioner. See if your hair responds like before. If it does, you'll have a known base, and you can start experimenting with other shampoos and conditioners, if you'd like.

This part of what you said, in particular, makes me think clarifying will help:

The normal shampoos and conditioners I use to use don't work the same any more.

The likely cause is that something in the products you use has built up on your hair over time. The clarifying shampoo will remove everything from you hair. It will strip the build-up, and it will also strip any natural oils. That is why it is important to use conditioner afterwards.

danacc
July 4th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Quick note to add--"products" include conditioners. Conditioners sometimes have ingredients that will build up over time. Heck, conditioning shampoos have ingredients that will build up over time, too.

crimsonangel
July 4th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks I'll give a clarifying shampoo a try then get back you.

Quixii
July 4th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Welcome to LHC!

Your hair sounds lovely, do you have any pictures? :D

I agree with trying some clarifying, and maybe some oiling or something. ^^;

crimsonangel
July 4th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Welcome to LHC!

Your hair sounds lovely, do you have any pictures? :D

I agree with trying some clarifying, and maybe some oiling or something. ^^;
No sorry, no pics at the moment maybe I'll put some up after my hair grows a bit longer. In other news I just used some Neutrogena Shampoo anti-residue formula, the person at the store said it was a good clarifying shampoo. After using it WOW my hair has never tangled so bad; I know this is because it was striped of all it's oils among other things. This brings me to another question since the only Conditioner I have at the moment is the PhytoSesame, i used that. My question is; the PhytoSesame comes in a pump bottle. So far I have been using 2 to 3 pumps worth on my hair. How much should I use and what would be a good way to aply it? Every time I aply it I feel as if im missing spots because I can barely feel it when I put it in

crimsonangel
July 6th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I just want to say thanks, the clarafying shampoo worked my old shampoos work again:). Now I'm thinking about getting a shampoo from phyto but I can't really decide between PhytoNectar and PhytoJoba, does andyone no where I can get a sample of PhytoNectar?

embee
July 6th, 2009, 04:50 PM
If I were you I'd use up some of the stuff you have. No point in becomming a product junkie first thing! ;) Try one of your new Phyto shampoos for a week or two or three, see how it works. Try the other for a few weeks, just to check it out. Make some note as to whether they were good or bad, especially over time. If you buy too many things all at once and try them all too quickly it's hard to figure out what happened if something goes wrong.

lora410
July 6th, 2009, 05:06 PM
After your clarify try a nice deep oil treatment of olive, coconut or another oil you have on hand. Leave in about 1 hour then shampoo out.

lora410
July 6th, 2009, 05:11 PM
How much should I use and what would be a good way to apply it? Every time I apply it I feel as if im missing spots because I can barely feel it when I put it in

One pump should be plenty and wash the scalp ONLY. you do not need a ton of shampoo and you could even try diluting your shampoo. Do not pile your hair on your head when washing, this can cause damage. You do not need a ton of lather to ensure your scalp gets washed correctly. You could also try a vinegar rinse (the smell fades with drying) I have a squirt bottle I use and do about 1 tsp of white vinegar to 1 cup of cool water. Some prefer apple cider vinegar though. A vinegar rinse closes the cuticles.

crimsonangel
July 7th, 2009, 01:36 PM
After your clarify try a nice deep oil treatment of olive, coconut or another oil you have on hand. Leave in about 1 hour then shampoo out.
Well I have Olive oil that I use for cooking? My grandfather came from Italy and I know my mom said that he always put Olive oil in his hair and even to the day he died his hair was very soft and strong. Or should I use something like Huile D'Alès intense hydrating oil treatment?

Madame J
July 7th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Many of my hair products could also double as kitchen staples. I do wash with soap, but then I acidify with apple cider vinegar and use coconut oil or sunflower seed oil on the ends of my hair to keep them from drying out. So go ahead and use olive oil from the kitchen on your hair (although maybe put a little into a small container to keep in the bathroom or bedroom instead of always moving the whole bottle), especially if it's extra-virgin olive oil.

It sounds like you are off to a good start, but maybe consider checking out some less expensive products while you're searching for a good routine. The cleaning agents in salon shampoos are pretty much the same as those in cheaper brands, and a lot of people here have good luck with less expensive brands. If you like Phyto, considering trying a health-food-store brand, like Nature's Gate or Avalon, as they use a lot of plant extracts in their products, similar to Phyto. But something like VO5 Tea Therapy or Suave Naturals might also be what you're looking for, especially if you use a lot of conditioner.

thankyousir74
July 7th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Welcome to LHC! I just graduated from high school too!

Well I have Olive oil that I use for cooking? My grandfather came from Italy and I know my mom said that he always put Olive oil in his hair and even to the day he died his hair was very soft and strong. Or should I use something like Huile D'Alès intense hydrating oil treatment?

I recommend not using "oils" sold exclusively as brand-name only for hair oils, I'd say you are better off trying coconut oil, or olive oil. If you decide to use olive oil LESS IS MORE, do not over do it, a drop or two rubbed between your palms added to your ends will be enough (at leas that's how it is with my hair).

Also with your shampoo troubles, remember that products are largely decorated by their advertising, so sometimes the best thing you can do is look at the ingredients before you purchase a new product.

This is why I said single ingredient oils (such as coconut, jojoba, or olive) have been best in my experience because then you know what you're getting. Otherwise you may end up buying enough "serums" and "oils" to fill up a medicine cabinet and contradictorily enough actually be buying a bunch of cones instead of the genuine oils you actually want.

Arctic_Mama
July 7th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Generally clarifying once a month will help keep your hair in tip-top condition, but you will likely need to use additional conditioner on the days you clarify as it does strip your hair. Generally speaking, you want to use enough conditioner that your hair is well-coated and feels uniformly smooth and slippery when the product is rinsed out. Concentrate it more from your ears down, you need hardly any on your scalp.

Welcome to our little corner of the Internet and good luck with your growing!

Arctic_Mama
July 7th, 2009, 03:47 PM
And as for oil, it's hard to beat Unrefined Coconut Oil or plain old Olive Oil used for cooking. They are both inexpensive and work very well. Those commercial oil "treatments" are overpriced and often contain additives that will gunk up your hair. Just smooth a drop or two of oil on your hair (ears down only, don't get it on your scalp as it can make your hair look stringy) after it is towel-dried out of the shower. Oil disperses best on damp, freshly washed hair.