PDA

View Full Version : Getting back on track with my hair...

RhainyC
July 3rd, 2009, 10:30 PM
I am trying to get back on track with my hair care. The last couple of years, I have not been taking the best care of my mane. It got really ratty ends and I finally gave up and cut off about 6 inches, so I am now at about waist length again. :o I had almost gotten past tailbone...*sighs*

So, is there any ideas on how to keep on track? I need to fill out my hair type info for my profile, haven't gotten around to that yet. Here's the basics though...

Medium texture
Thick (a lot of hair) but slowly thinning :(
Slightly Wavy (holds a curl really well when I abuse with a curling iron :p which isn't often)
Permanently Dyed (grey is so spotty it is crazy making for me)

I have bangs now, and will most likely keep them, just a light fringe in front.

I shampoo 2-3 times a week, deep condition once a month. My scalp usually needs washing by day 3, but I really push it sometimes, for my hair's sake.

I am still at a toss up on cones, and occasionally use them, but not regularly.

So any ideas that I can try, or suggestions for staying on a schedule and keeping my hair in better shape?

RancheroTheBee
July 4th, 2009, 08:37 AM
You might want to experiment with some of the gentler options that the LHC has come up with; natural shampoos, 'cone-free, CWC. Experiment with these things slowly, though. You might benefit from using oil or a leave-in, or replacing your deep conditioner with an SMT. :p Also, look into clarifying occasionally, because I have no idea how many times I have trimmed or almost trimmed because I thought my hair was completely damaged and it turns out it was just 'cone build-up.

Good luck!

RhainyC
July 5th, 2009, 12:50 AM
RancheroTheBee,

Cool name btw! :D I do clarify usually twice a month. I do try to do COW in between regular washings. I am also not using my flat iron or curling iron much anymore, though still do occasionally.

One of the worst problems I run into is since I abused my hair for the last couple of years I have lost a lot of inches due to damage. Since I also use permanent colour, I do try to do the deep conditioning at least once a month, twice if I remember. Since there is no real way to make my hair grow faster, I just want to keep what I do have right now, as healthy as possible.

I will still keep colouring my hair, for a while yet. I know it is one of the worst things I can do, but I am one of those who's grey is coming in like a Dalmation, with no rhyme or reason. If I had streaks or clusters or anything but spot here, spot there, I would be ok with it...sadly it is really horrid. I will probably keep colouring until I am 50, and then reassess.

So I need to take some more time and try to set up some sort of a routine again for caring for my hair. I used to have one down pat, but I can't for the life of me remember what exactly I was doing, that was working so well, despite the colour.

Thanks for the suggestions though, I will do more reading/refreshing my memory and see what feels right and works right.