PDA

View Full Version : I want bangs/I don't want bangs. I want layers/I don't want layers!!

Speckla
July 3rd, 2009, 09:58 PM
I don't know what I want. :confused:

That's all.

kwaniesiam
July 3rd, 2009, 09:58 PM
What ever you do, make sure you give it the 2 week rule :)

I just had some long layers cut in the front of my hair today.

Speckla
July 3rd, 2009, 10:04 PM
I'm trying to give it the 'wait 'til November' rule. I've almost convinced my husband that I need a Deva cut for my birthday.

Bene
July 3rd, 2009, 10:07 PM
curly hair + bangs = MAINTENANCE!!!

yeah, think on it for a while to make sure you're willing to commit to dealing with bangs.

may1em
July 3rd, 2009, 10:11 PM
I gave myself bangs a week and a half ago. It was not an easy decision, but I'm happy with it, for the most part. I have long, sideswept ones and am even wondering if I want to go shorter!

Why do you want them? I got them to cover up a skin cancer made unsightly by the biopsy, and they'll be pretty handy for the post-surgery ickiness until it heals over into a tiny, unnoticeable scar. Well, that's what I used as my excuse anyway. I'd been curious about what side-swept bangs would look like on me for a while now, and I also wanted a way to soften updos, which I wear probably five days out of seven.

For me, it wasn't as big a risk as it might be to someone with all-one-length virgin tailbone hair, because I'd cut collarbone-length face framing layers back in January (For reference, the rest of my hair is somewhere between waist and iliac).

I'm having some issues with it getting in my eyes - now I have to decide whether to go shorter or grow out and do a permanent faux-bangs look.

I see your hair is curly. Are you planning on straightening your bangs? That takes work on a daily basis. Or are you planning a more curly bangs look?

Speckla
July 3rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
I'm in the process of growing out my bangs. They're now long enough to reach the bridge of my nose when pulled straight. I have the urge some days to cut them short again and other days I'm glad they're growing up. They look good curly or straight. I just can't decide what to do with them. I definitely will not straighten them. I burned a chuck off not too long ago with a too hot dryer and too wet hair. I'm having the same thoughts about having layers put back into my hair or to not. I had a blunt cut in May and now my hair is starting to lose some volume in the back. I've had bangs and layers for years and I just wanted to see what my hair would look like all one length and now I'm having second thoughts. :(

HisForever
July 3rd, 2009, 10:22 PM
Im in the same situation right now. I have side swept bangs, and they are at the point where they are a bit long now. I dont know if I should cut them or grow them out... I like how I look both ways, but I love having something there when my hair is up. Well I dont know lol. All I can say is wait on it, and see if thats what you want in a few weeks.

Dementia1013
July 3rd, 2009, 10:23 PM
In a fever induced stupor (I just recently got over Bronchial Pneumonia) I cut bangs.... I hate them.
:(

may1em
July 3rd, 2009, 10:25 PM
I'm in the process of growing out my bangs. They're now long enough to reach the bridge of my nose when pulled straight. I have the urge some days to cut them short again and other days I'm glad they're growing up. They look good curly or straight. I just can't decide what to do with them. I definitely will not straighten them. I burned a chuck off not too long ago with a too hot dryer and too wet hair. I'm having the same thoughts about having layers put back into my hair or to not. I had a blunt cut in May and now my hair is starting to lose some volume in the back. I've had bangs and layers for years and I just wanted to see what my hair would look like all one length and now I'm having second thoughts. :(

Wow, you're like the opposite of my story. I'd only had bangs once, seven years ago, and I cut them too thin for them to work right. I guess we're both venturing into the unknown, which is scary. I'd probably recommend that you grow yours out some more. I know growing bangs out is awkward, I've done it that one time! Headbands and pretty clippies help a lot.

If after they've gotten a little longer (like chin-length) and you still hate not having the shorter ones, then cut them back.

dolcevita
July 4th, 2009, 12:42 AM
In a fever induced stupor (I just recently got over Bronchial Pneumonia) I cut bangs.... I hate them.
:(

I didn't even have a fever, so I don't have an excuse as good as that one... Thinking that I won't mind the little bit of blowdrying maintenance on JUST MY BANGS to keep them beautiful, I did the chop... Well, hair clips, headbands, hats, etc are my best friends. Can't wait til they grow out!

Strangely I feel like this nearly every time... (because I have naturally wavy hair that doesn't want to hang nicely for bangs).

Heidi_234
July 4th, 2009, 01:26 AM
No you don't. Why do you think people try so hard to grow them out? :)

GlassEyes
July 4th, 2009, 01:52 AM
And why do some people love them?

Not everyone with bangs who have curly hair WANT to grow them out, thank you very much. I, like speckla, am torn on my own (I keep mine curly), but some people like Curlsgirl are quite happy with them.

Niphredil
July 4th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Oh, I am one of those.....

When I have bangs, I want them to grow, when I don't, I want to cut bangs......
Same thing with layers. I do have decided not to go completely one-length again, ever, but I'm not sure as to the amount of layers I'd like to end up with when it gets longer again. The overall length determines the layering though, the shorter is it, the more layers my hair 'needs'.

Just don't do anything in a rush, but don't be afraid to try something out either. After all, it is just hair and it will grow back! At least then you can say that you've tried it and didn't like it.

Heidi_234
July 4th, 2009, 04:32 AM
And why do some people love them?

Not everyone with bangs who have curly hair WANT to grow them out, thank you very much. I, like speckla, am torn on my own (I keep mine curly), but some people like Curlsgirl are quite happy with them.
I didn't say everybody wants to grow them out. I maintained my bangs for few years straight back at the days. I was merely pointing out the 'other side of the coin'. The OP knows she might want bangs or layers, no point in telling her that some people like having bangs. But there is a place to tell that if she regrets, it's a long count, and it happens all the time to other people, and she should consider that too before cutting bangs layer.
If it bothers you, I can post my personal take on the subject 'instead'. As somebody said already - Bangs + curly hair = maintenance. If she chooses to keep her bangs straight, then it's blow drying after each wash and/or flat ironing every single morning. Despite that, there are still too many bad-bangs days to go though. Bangs grow out faster than you want when you maintain them, but too slow if you want them to grow out. Growing out means many months of bobby pins and PITA before you could even tuck them properly behind the ears. And even more months before they finally get into the ponytail (I still didn't get to that stage!)
Layers, I personally don't find it too pretty on curly hair. Slight layering maybe, actual layers don't flatter curly hair IMHO, making the hair look even more see though and the ends really thinning. I feel like layers look good mostly straighties. I have layers, due to which I had to cut 2" off my longest one. My hemline looked rather bad before the trim. I think that people who aim to grow their hair long, shouldn't screw around with the hemline when it's short, because they'll have to correct all that later on, with trims. I remember once I went with my friend to a hair stylist to get our hair cut. He told her that he'll do layer so she'll have gain body, while he told me he'll do layer to cut down on the volume. Obviously that's a bunch of crap he told us both. I'm endlessly irritated by hairdresser who cut layers in. Good thing I don't visit them anymore.

Zindell
July 4th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I've had bangs for pretty much the 40 first years of my life. Then one day I looked at some pictures of me and wondered why...
I have somewhat thin hair and they were just wispy li'l bangs that hardly covered my somewhat high forehead. In fact they looked pretty silly. :D

I wouldn't want to cut them "wider" since then I would have even less long hair.

Also I always had an issue cutting them. I wasn't sure where to cut. How wide... how far up etc.

I started grow them out a bit over a year ago and they are now almost an inch below my chin. I don't regret it at all! Now they frame my forehead and face quite nice. Soon I will be able to fasten them in an ordinary ponytail. I can't wait until I get them into a braid.

If you decide to grow them out, don't give up and cut them until you have reached at least chin length. Before that they aren't much good, but below chin they start to "belong" to the rest of your hair and can be used in updos. :)

Speckla
July 4th, 2009, 07:23 AM

Please tell me this a few more times. :p I might need a PM each morning. ;) I actually cut new bangs several months ago because they were hanging in my eyes and I didn't have an bobbypins or barrettes. I grabbed some scissors and cut a large chunk off. I was at work and always have a ton of bobbypins in my desk and purse - except for when I need them. I'll pull bobbypins out of my change purse when I'm looking for a quarter for the vending machine but never when I need one.

I will be patient and wait...

for now. :rolleyes:

dukkelisa
July 4th, 2009, 09:06 AM
For me, having straight hair, both layers and bangs require maintenance which I am no long interested in doing. Layers can be difficult to get to stay in buns. Bangs get greasy faster than the rest of my hair. I grew mine out and it was much better.

I guess there is always a lot of women loving to change their hair. I did that for many years and now I prefer just leaving it alone, wearing a simple bun 99% of the time. Works for me. One thing I can say, is that every time I did something really different with my hair, I usually regretted it. Especially with bleaching, colouring or cutting.

Heidi_234
July 4th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Please tell me this a few more times. :p I might need a PM each morning. ;) I actually cut new bangs several months ago because they were hanging in my eyes and I didn't have an bobbypins or barrettes. I grabbed some scissors and cut a large chunk off. I was at work and always have a ton of bobbypins in my desk and purse - except for when I need them. I'll pull bobbypins out of my change purse when I'm looking for a quarter for the vending machine but never when I need one.

I will be patient and wait...

for now. :rolleyes:
Do you want a coffee with that too? :p
I can tell you one thing, it's not about getting bangs or layer, it's about making some change. I feel you, I constantly go back and forth about dyeing my hair differently, but I stop myself before I do anything foolishly damaging. My #1 priority is length, and I remind myself that.
If you need a change, try something less permanent - new style to wear, or new hairtoy, or air dry your curls relaxed just to have few days of something different, or maybe you can have fun with temp dyes like manic panic. Or you can do a different parting, or flase side bangs (I saw a tutorial link from here to external site). That would satisfy your urge to change something about your hair without you regretting is months layer (maybe the dye will take time to wash out though).
Personally, I'm sick and tired of all this bobby pins, and the need to keep my bangs clipped back when airdrying, always in need to separate them from the rest of my hair. :rolleyes: The tips of the bangs already touch where my ponytail/bun is so I have very little left to endure.

windinherhair
July 4th, 2009, 09:23 AM
What ever you do, make sure you give it the 2 week rule :)

I agree with that. If you decide something, then don't rush into it. The months right before I joined LHC, I was thinking about coloring my hair blonde! Then I changed my mind deciding I wanted to focus more on the overall health and growth.

In 2006 I started to cut side layers in my hair and I liked them for the years but once I started thinking about the growth of my hair, I didnt want them anymore. I wouldnt say I have regret about cutting the layers since I had them so long and was satisfied with them. Now I would like to grow them out.

I got my bangs cut again in March of 2008. I just love having bangs. You can part them all different ways to make them look different. You can pull them back in a headband for a day if you don't want them! It is a personal choice though. Some people don't like them. I know I didnt before. :)

Basically, people and their hair change, so it is ultimately up to what you want... and it can be acheived. Just make sure you think it through first.

If you have made the decision that you dont want bangs anymore, then hang in there! I remember it was annoying growing out my bangs the first time. It seems like they will never catch up with your length. I assure you that they will grow out but I know how inconvient it can be.

bigdreamer
July 4th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Am growing layers out of my hair for the umpteenth time because they just don't work on my wavy hair. Bangs that I had forever and grew out always required extra maintenance. I will admit though, that I look better with bangs.

One thing - if you get layers, have them cut your hair dry in its natural air dried state. I found that my freshly wet cut wavy layers always shrank at their own "will" so to speak and the cut/look rarely turned out like what I thought I was getting. Then, major maintenance would take over. Then I'd develop frizzy dried canopy. Then I'd be back on the "I hate these layers!!" train.

Tap Dancer
July 4th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I'm trying to give it the 'wait 'til November' rule. I've almost convinced my husband that I need a Deva cut for my birthday.

Since he's almost convinced, try hard to hold off. A Deva cut might be just the thing! And if it's not and you're still wanting bangs and/or layers, go for it. It's hard; I know. I always want layers when my hair is one-length and not long after I get the layers, I want them gone. LOL :p

misstwist
July 4th, 2009, 07:04 PM

That!! Seriously, stick it in a peacock twist and hold out for the hair magic in November.