PDA

View Full Version : A week without combing.

allege
July 3rd, 2009, 08:00 PM
I have been experimenting with something, no brushing! Well ok limited brushing. After I recieved my Ficcare (thank you Wavygirl) I haven't used hair elastics at all, really I have worn my Ficcare almost everyday since it arrived in my mailbox. I was already going a week with out washing (most of the time).

Recently I have really had no energy, especially in the mornings so I have over slept almost every day for 3 weeks. This leaves me very little time to get dressed. So my hair routine has changed to pick up the slack.

The day after I wash my hair (I wash at night and let it air dry) I comb my hair and put it up in a bun held by my Ficcare, That is the last time I brush it for the week.

At night I take the ficcare out and either leave my hair in an unsecured bun to sleep, or pull it into a higher bun and secure it with a scrunchy.

All week I do this, morning I put it in a Ficcare bun, night I put it up in a scrunchy bun or a unsecured bun.

After 3 weeks of this I have noticed less splits, less shedding and my hair feels fuller and has more body to it.

Has anyone else done this? Do you think this is safe over the long term?

danacc
July 3rd, 2009, 08:14 PM
It sounds like its working great for your hair.

Buns are quite protective. As long as its not getting tangled/knotty, you're fine without combing it all through every day. It sounds like you're avoiding tangles by keeping it nicely contained. The only thing you may want to watch is where you place the buns and the Ficcare. If you start to see damage or tangles in a particular area, you might want to be sure that you're moving the placement a bit, or make different styles of up-do's sometimes. That way, you're not stressing the same area of hair every day.

My own hair tangles a bit at night. I detangle with my fingers in the morning, and I use a wide-toothed comb to smooth it into an up-do. I don't comb through it all every day, though. I find that as long as I keep it detangled, the less handling, the better.

ericthegreat
July 3rd, 2009, 08:23 PM
Wow. That is simply amazing. I could not do what you do, a week without combing or brushing, I'm a brushaholic and I CO rinse every night. I also only wear my hair down or in a simply low ponytail, so upstyles are out of the question for me! But its great that you've discovered a method to not only keep your ends protected but new ways to wear your hair up!

Jessikinz
July 3rd, 2009, 10:11 PM
I have done this when I was really sick. I didn't have the energy to even bother with my hair, so I would just put it up in a bun with a scrunchie. It never tangled bad, and it looked really good. But in the second week, I started getting better and combed my hair again. I'm not sure if I would have been able to go longer.

Niphredil
July 4th, 2009, 02:24 AM
I could pull that off until my hair gets too greasy. It then sticks together and anything I will do that involves touching my hair will induce hairs being ripped out. But I'm not much of a comber/brusher anyway. I rinse/wash my hair a couple of times a week (especially in the current weather, hot and humid) with non-harsh products (CO, WO or SLES-free shampoo) and comb when still very wet and then don't touch a comb/brush until next rinse/wash.

I do have dramatically less tangles than I used to have during my first grow-out, which is most likely because of the absence of split-ends (ok, a few maybe, but they are virtually non-existent at this point). I think that is one of the main factors in being able to pull-off not combing regularly.

Heidi_234
July 4th, 2009, 05:50 AM
I'm curly, I'd better not to brush/comb. Before LHC, I didn't touch a comb for years, and I didn't even own a brush. Now I got too hair-conscious so I do comb. It's okay not to comb, no harm done. But one should at least finger-comb once in a while (or while washing) to get tangles and shed hairs out.

PhillyGirl1978@
July 11th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Wow...a week! After 2 days for me it's starting to dread!lol After a week I'd never get it out!

nowxisxforever
July 11th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Sounds like that's a'ok and brilliant if your hair gets along well with it! I have very little slip so my hair will tangle up, I'll go 2 days without combing it max.

I had an 'incident' when I was younger that involved 2-3 weeks of not brushing or combing and it ended up all matted, I had to cut at it to comb it out and lost a lot of length...from shoulder to chin.

ReddishRocks
July 11th, 2009, 11:27 PM
As a wavy/curly, I don't comb or brush at all between washes. Well, I might comb at the scalp just a tad to get stuff evened out for an updo... but I go 4+ days between washes. I only detangle with Kinky Curly Knot Today in the shower. I just don't comb or brush when dry!

I leave my hair down for 2, sometimes 3 days, then days 4+ are updos. I don't seem to get horrible tangles this way... but I am very careful in the shower with my fingers and the comb!

Rivanariko
July 11th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I'm with Eric, here, I couldn't stand not to comb or detangle for that long! I've stopped brushing since I found LHC and now only finger comb to detangle, but I still have to do it at least two or three times a day... I just try to be very very gentle.

I'm glad you found something that works so well for you though! I'm sure your hair is thanking you for it!

Feye
July 12th, 2009, 03:46 AM
This sounds like it's working for you! I think that personally, combing and brushing creates breakage, so I'll give it a go and see if I can limit the combing/brushing.

When it comes to the Ficcare, I wore a cinnabun with a Ficcare every day for weeks in the same place, and now I've developed a sore spot there. I'm now varying the styles and height of where the clip is inserted into my hair. Just a little word of caution. Wearing the same bun with the same hairtoy every day might not be good, so experiment with different styles :)

Feye
July 12th, 2009, 04:46 AM
I thought about this some more and wanted to add some more things :)

I have straight 1c hair but there are curly hairs mixed into it. Every time I comb, no matter how gentle I am, I hear small snaps of hairs that get caught in the comb and might be breaking. Scary! I will try to not comb for a while and see how it goes. Fingercombing is fine for me, so I'll do that instead.

The occasional combing session might be good thought, when I've got a lot of time and can be super gentle, but I'll try not to do it on a daily basis. Hopefully this will be good for my hair that is a bit damaged from previous bleaching and coloring.

Teazel
July 12th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Actually, I never would have thought I could go without combing/brushing every day, but lately I've left it as long as 3 days without so much as finger combing. :bigeyes:

I sleep with with a bun high on my head, secured with a large metal pin or short hairstick, and in the morning I shake it out and bun it at the back of my head or nape. Part of the day I might let it down and bundle it into my cardigan's hood.

It works as long as my hair is reasonably clean.

darkwaves
July 12th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I think this would reduce damage for me -- unless I then had to struggle to get the knots out! (My hair appears to be like PhillyGirl1978's hair...) I could probably do this, though, if I rinsed it daily, as the water and heavy conditioner might take out knots and shed hairs.

Wow...a week! After 2 days for me it's starting to dread!lol After a week I'd never get it out!

Raederle
July 12th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I've done the same thing occasionally. My hair is a bit wavy, and when I don't comb it, the waves stay in, and my hair looks fuller. It's always up, though. I doubt I could leave it uncombed if I were to wear it loose. But then I have to balance the not combing with the great feeling my scalp gets with the BBB.

Rentlle
July 12th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Hey, and when you try to braid the hair?
what does it then?
I realy cant stand my hair when it's tangly and stuff..
It just doesn't look that nice...

jivete
July 12th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I would love to try this. I'm a bit of a compulsive detangler and I know it's damaging. Hmmm, maybe I'll try this for the 2nd week in August.

Amara
July 12th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I have done something like this before, although only for 3-4 days at a stretch. In fact, I'm wearing the same bun I wore yesterday and last night to sleep in, without having redone it. :)
As long as your updos are not always tight or in the same spot, I would think it'd be great for your hair. I always need to make sure I detangle gently when I do let it down, since the shorter wispies that come out tend to get windblown and cause tangles. But the bulk of my hair always seems very happy. :)

Fencai
July 12th, 2009, 01:02 PM
There was a period in High school, where I didnt brush or comb for almost a year. I washed it every day, and conditioned, but never combed. I had no issues.... in fact, looking back, I have NO idea how that worked and never dreaded or lok'd...... must've had the hair fairies on my side!

Raederle
July 12th, 2009, 02:41 PM
There was a period in High school, where I didnt brush or comb for almost a year. I washed it every day, and conditioned, but never combed. I had no issues.... in fact, looking back, I have NO idea how that worked and never dreaded or lok'd...... must've had the hair fairies on my side!

Well .... do you have any pictures from then? With your hair type, it must have looked great. :thumbsup:

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 12th, 2009, 02:51 PM
mine would knot up where I sleep on it but I can see the benefit of not running a brush or comb through your hair! Perhaps if I braided and bunned.... hmm...

enfys
July 12th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I know I can't do this, because when I'm ill and don't brush I get a mess. Finger combing doesn't work because my hair catches on my fingers no matter how smoothed my nails are.

I'm jealous of the people who can.

BlndeInDisguise
July 12th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I've been thinking about trying this, but I'm just not sure if my hair is as "healthy" as it needs to be to not get all tangled up. And they way I put my hair up may not be conducive to this either.

myotislucifugus
July 17th, 2009, 10:15 AM
My only issue with this is that my extra volume comes from shed hair that stays in the mass until I can comb it out. When I finally comb its like pulling tennis balls out of my head. It's depressing.