PDA

View Full Version : Please Keep me from cutting my hair.

Fayejay
July 3rd, 2009, 03:26 PM
I'm so closed to cutting my hair. Its at BSL and this is an in between length for me. I have an appt next friday for a trim and I keep looking at different shoulder legnth styles. I WANT tail bone or longer. I just need some re-enforcement.
How do you (if you get the urge) get past wanting to cut your hair?
Thanks

manderly
July 3rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
2 week rule. Sit on an idea for 2 weeks. If it still sounds like something you want to do after that, then you know it's not just a whim you'll regret later :)

ETA: And you'll never reach tailbone, which you really want, if you cut it back to shoulder length!

neon-dream
July 3rd, 2009, 03:29 PM
Keep telling yourself how beautiful your hair will be at tailbone, and how you'll never get there if you keep cutting it :)
Maybe you could learn a new updo to keep it out the way and forget about it until it's longer?
:flowers:

Quixii
July 3rd, 2009, 03:30 PM
Sometimes I think about cutting my hair - there's so much pressure to, and I've never had short hair so I always wonder what it would look like on me - but then I remember how much I want to get married with long hair. I don't know why, but that's always been my goal - get it as long as possible until my marriage, and then after that, maybe I'll play with the length some. Obviously, I'm no where near marriage, but hey. *shrug*
It might help to think up a goal like that. "I really want to have my hair as long as possible when..." :) Good luck!

RoseRedDead
July 3rd, 2009, 03:32 PM
Think about how much more time it will take you to get to tailbone.

Take Manderly's advice. Think about it. Long and hard. Cancel the appointment. Think about it for two weeks, and if you still want to do it, get it done. If not, danger averted.

longhairedfairy
July 3rd, 2009, 03:32 PM
Think of all the neat things you won't be able to do if you cut.

misstwist
July 3rd, 2009, 03:49 PM
You are the only one who can keep you from cutting your hair.

If your length stats are current you are halfway to your goal length. If your hair grows at the average rate of six inches per year you are about three-and-one-half years from goal length. If you cut your hair back to shoulder it will be even longer.

So, the question is, do you really want long hair? That means not cutting it, not even a trim if you are ambivalent about your goals. Your ambivalence will send mixed messages to a hair dresser.

If you go in and say, "oh I really want hair down to my tailbone but my ends are so uneven right now so I need to get them trimmed, but I've been thinking about cutting it back to shoulder length." Where do you think your hemline will end up when you walk out of the salon? Likely shoulder.

Cricket1
July 3rd, 2009, 04:46 PM
Think about how close tailbone is.. A few months or a year or two will pass by so quickly.. Before you know it it will be at your goal length..Day by day when you are not paying attention it will get longer..In the mean time, just realize how pretty and long it already is. (Unless you really do just want short hair. Then cut it!) But if you would rather have long hair and you cut it it will never grow. Before you cut it, ask yourself if you would enjoy your new style just for two weeks or for a longer period of time.

Sjirsten
July 3rd, 2009, 04:57 PM
You should at least wait until after the summer, warm and/or humid weather + too short hair to put up is not the best combination, if you ask me. At least not if you are used to all the alternatives you have with BSL hair...
If you still feel like cutting it in late August, then do it;)

Elettaria
July 3rd, 2009, 05:11 PM
Cancel the appointment for the time being and get yourself a pretty new hair toy? Plus distract yourself with something creative? I'm always happy to lure people into quilting, and then you can cut fabric instead of hair!

may1em
July 3rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
Two-week rule!

Also just put it up for a bit, and soon enough it'll be past the awkward stage. Maybe consider joining one of the keep hair up for a month or two challenges?

Ndnlady
July 3rd, 2009, 05:16 PM
You should definitely follow the 2 week rule as already mentioned. If you are having doubts and second thoughts then you should cancel your appointment in case it turns from a trim into something you will regret afterwards. When the 2 weeks is up and you still really want to cut your hair then make another appointment.
I cut off almost 4 inches of hair and I am definitely paying for it now, when I cut my hair was about 36 1/2 or so inches, it was really fairy-taled but my updos would never come down until I wanted them down.
Now my favorite updos come down because I don't have that extra length anymore I really regretted cutting it!:wail::brickwall
Don't make the same mistake!:shake: :)

Deborah
July 3rd, 2009, 06:56 PM
Don't cut! You don't really want to; you are just bored. Try some new fun updos. Buy some new shampoo and conditioner to try. Wash your hair with Indian herbs. Just don't cut.

Shoulder length is, in my opinion, an awful length. Many complain that the hair gets caught in collars, necklaces, etc. all the time. It's not short enough to be cool and breezy, but not long enough to easily put into an updo for that same cool, breezy effect. It is therefore altogether too hot for summertime.

Get past your boredom and you will be so glad that you did not succumb to that cutting urge. Just leave your hair alone, and soon you will be at waist. Leave it alone just a little while longer, and you will find that your hair is brushing right at your tailbone. It will be worth the wait! :)

hennaphile
July 3rd, 2009, 07:04 PM
You can always do tricks through buns and styles to make long hair look shorter, but not the other way around.

HeatherJenae
July 4th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I like the idea of really taking a night and pampering your hair. This will make you fall in love with it all over again. Take a long time in the bathtub, deep condition, really enjoy combing it slowly. And if that doesn't help, literally go to a wig store and try on some short wigs, you can even buy one if you want! That way, your long beautiful hair is still there, ready to go tailbone! You can even try some of those cool tucked under hairdo's that make it look like you got a bob when you really didn't. And lastly, all my female friends who took the chop really regretted it afterward and were literally pulling on their ends like it would make it grow back! Stick to your guns sister!

thankyousir74
July 4th, 2009, 06:56 PM
2 week rule. Sit on an idea for 2 weeks. If it still sounds like something you want to do after that, then you know it's not just a whim you'll regret later :)

ETA: And you'll never reach tailbone, which you really want, if you cut it back to shoulder length!

Took the words right out of my mouth, Manderly!

MomoKoNoHanna
July 4th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Stop looking at shoulder length styles and start looking at tailbone length ones :) But please don't cut your hair! I used to have shoulder length hair and went to pixie about a year ago. Beleive me if you want long hair, it is not worth the cut!

Fifty-Five
July 4th, 2009, 10:57 PM
I just...DON'T go. I know it sounds odd (honestly), but I just tell myself it's not worth it. I can spent the money better elsewhere. =3

Melisande
July 5th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Imagine yourself with shoulder length hair - the most difficult, hair-breaking and un-updoable length of all. And then imagine how you will long for BSL length hair - the length you have now. Is it really worth cutting, only to be in one year's time at the same milestone you are now? Because the only way to tail bone is via BSL, there is no other way.

If you really want tailbone length, if it's not something you just say, then the only way to go is LET IT GROW. One of the main virtues of longhaired people is patience and letting the perfectionism go. There are awkward and boring stages you just have to accept. You can't make it grow faster, but you can decide to accept it and to let it grow.

Put it up, learn five new updos, buy one fork and one set of sticks or learn to make your own, try a henna gloss or a herb treatment, put yourself a new goal: make the hair shinier, or add volume, and try some recipes for that. There are so many things you can do with your hair.

If you don't like your hemline, do a Feye ;-)

MadPirateBippy
July 5th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Cancell the trim and spend the money on a hair toy.

Kylis
July 5th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I wish I had thought long and hard before cutting my hair from BSL to mid-neck length. I try to convince myself that it was the right thing to do - hair was really damaged and after a huge shed it didn't look or feel all that good, BUT i miss it like crazy and even though I can put my hair up already, I really don't enjoy short hair at all. It is just not for me. If you want TB hair, then just think again before cutting it and when you are done thinking, think one more time :)

ratgirldjh
July 5th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I have been having this urge also. Ever since I hennaed about 2 months ago and 1 root touch up about a month ago - my hair has not been happy.

It actually got so dry I finally cut off about a 1/2 inch of straw like ends and I am happier with it now.

I also have been having a lot of stress and have been having a LOT of shedding :(

utdesertrunner
July 5th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I do this too about every 6 months or so. I get bored. But if I can get past that stage I am always SO relieved that I didn't chop. It sounds like you really do want tailbone length hair, so hang in there. This is what always helps me:

-Come to LHC and read posts and look at everyone's inspiring pics.
-Buy new shampoo or a new hair toy
-Determine the real reason you are thinking of short hair (boredom, health of the hair or you really do want it)
-Definitely WAIT 2 weeks. My desire for cutting always goes away in just a few days.

zen_oven
July 5th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Think long and hard about cutting. Give yourself a few weeks or even a month. Sometimes I've found that if I just gave myself a little more time, I'd get a little bit more growing done and may even move past that awful "in-between" limbo.

Like I said, give yourself more time. If you spend at least two weeks thinking about it and still want to do it, you will be able to tell it's not just a whim based on frustration. However, if you do cut I wouldn't do such a dramatic chop--too traumatic. You could just do a trim and see how you feel after a few more weeks.