PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who had short hair

April1
April 10th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Hi Im sort of new here. I have "Another re introduction" post on the 'new here' thread.

Anyway, I hope this isnt too difficult a question to answer, but for the ladys who started out with hair the same length as mine, just roughly how long did it take you to grow your hair just past that annoying curve in your neck/shoulders. The reason Im asking is because Im finding this growing out stage VERY VERY difficult for some reason. It really is driving me nuts.......probably due to my own silly thoughts of getting any growth I do get cut off because I need a 'fix' of doing something to my hair to make it look better - which has never worked the 5 times Ive done this - I think Ive learnt my lesson this time around.

For those who answer, could you also let me know if you got regular trims in the process of growing out......Thanks:)

sweetkandi
April 10th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Hey, Im there too. lol. And Ive been there before. Just wait it out. Its worth it. I cant remember how long it took to grow out of that, but my hair did get to waist in less than a year and a half. :) So im hoping for the same amount of a growth rate this time. lol

sweetkandi
April 10th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Oh and no regular trims... Just if it was really needed. Rarely.

April1
April 10th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Oh Id love to not have as many trims.......Check out my pic in my post called Another re-introduction in the New Here section, then I think you will see what i mean. I do wonder sometimes if not ever drinking eough water has a great deal to do with your hair....I really do need to address my water intake.

Riot Crrl
April 10th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I haven't done this since the 80s. I just left the layers alone until they were long enough for a bob. It was a quite frizzy and triangular bob, but it was the 80s so everyone had that. After that it was easy to just leave it alone.

DecafJane
April 10th, 2008, 10:23 PM
If I were you and your hair is long enough, just let it grow, and if it is bugging you, pull it back in a ponytail (or up with a clip or something) for a few weeks.

The last few times I grew my hair out, I did it by completely avoiding the hairdresser. If I go regularly, they trim layers into it and "thin" it out, and I really, really don't want that!
In a professional and work situation, the best way to do this without looking ratty was to just pull it up the whole time. Then, I wasn't tempted to straighten, blow-dry or style-cut it.

dancingbarefoot
April 10th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Anyway, I hope this isnt too difficult a question to answer, but for the ladys who started out with hair the same length as mine, just roughly how long did it take you to grow your hair just past that annoying curve in your neck/shoulders.

2-3 years, I think? It was a long time ago, so I'm not sure anymore. I started out from a short cut and got pretty regular trims to keep it in a blunt cut.

shellblue1
April 10th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Hmmm, let's see, if I am remembering correctly it might have taken about 6 months or so? I started out with the sides of my hair ending at the bottom of my ears and the back was even shorter. It was a really short A-line cut, not even long enough to be considered a bob lol. Oh yeah, and I didn't really trim it, just let it grow.

1nuitblanche
April 10th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I think it took somewhere between 4 and 9 months to get there. I can't remember for sure though because I had layers cut part way through and it was a while ago.

MyFireElf
April 11th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Love your screenname April1.

The best thing you can do to grow out your hair at this point is forget it. Pull it back in headbands, barrettes, ponytails, caps - whatever you can do to get it out of your way so you're not tempted to mess with it or cut it, and just find a different hobby of some sort to occupy your time for a bit.

It'll grow faster when you're not looking. ;)

WritingPrincess
April 11th, 2008, 12:28 AM
I've never been there, but I do have some neat plastic headbands that are like a bunch of "s"s stacked on ends. I'd imagine they would be really good at keeping layers out of your face. I hope you understand my description.

willowcandra
April 11th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Hi Im sort of new here. I have "Another re introduction" post on the 'new here' thread.

Anyway, I hope this isnt too difficult a question to answer, but for the ladys who started out with hair the same length as mine, just roughly how long did it take you to grow your hair just past that annoying curve in your neck/shoulders. The reason Im asking is because Im finding this growing out stage VERY VERY difficult for some reason. It really is driving me nuts.......probably due to my own silly thoughts of getting any growth I do get cut off because I need a 'fix' of doing something to my hair to make it look better - which has never worked the 5 times Ive done this - I think Ive learnt my lesson this time around.

For those who answer, could you also let me know if you got regular trims in the process of growing out......Thanks:)

I used to wear teeny little ponytails. or grip it up in a messy sort of updo.

chrissy-b
April 11th, 2008, 01:55 AM
I'm right there with you currently. It sucks, I know. :(But hang in there, it'll be worth it.

It took me about 5-6 months to get from my chin to my collar bone the last time I grew my hair out. My hair growth seems to have sped up since joining LHC and it's taken me about 3 months to go from my chin to almost shoulder-length (almost).

Scalp massages and MN have really seemed to help with my growth, and I agree with everyone who's said the BEST thing you can do is put it up and ignore it for awhile. It's what I've been doing and at this point, if I even think about wearing it down, I want to cut it.

Good luck and hang in there! It'll get better...there's living proof on every page of this site!

peachy.pudding
April 11th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Please hold in there, so many times i wanted to cut but i am so glad i didnt!!! I made a trimming ban for 1yr. Now my hair is apl and i am so grateful i didnt cut. i made a pact with myself to say i would never have hair shorter than apl.

April1
April 11th, 2008, 04:47 AM
:)Thanks for the replys........and I hope this message gets posted THIS time as I keep getting logged off for some reason. I tried again and was logged ON and it still wouldnt let me post.

Anyway, yes, ignoring it would be the best thing , but that would mean not comming here any more. While I didnt come here for a few months that hair obsession thing went away!!

Also, what does MN stand for ..........thanks.

*BelievingAgain
April 11th, 2008, 05:29 AM
No, don't leave here!! I think this is the BEST place to be if you're trying to get through a rough growing patch!!

I feel so encouraged when I come on these boards, I look at comparison photos in people's signatures and all sorts of things, it really helps to remind me that I'll be like all these amazing long-hairs one day!! It can be a downer sometimes when I see threads about how to do certain hairstyles, when I haven't even got enough to go back in a ponytail yet, but I know my time will come. I've learnt so much already, and the most important thing? I feel welcome. It's like I remind my partner - there could be far worse things that I could be addicted to than this website!!

Hope we can help to get you through. I know from experience that the length you're at is one of the most annoying and seemingly never-ending. Just hang in there...lots of scalp massages, TLC, good food and peace within yourself will get you through.

Jess :flower:

suicides_eve
April 11th, 2008, 05:56 AM
i am at that point too. my hair grow s 1" a months so i fifgure anonther 4 or 5 months and i will be outta this stage. i usally keep it up and outta the way

suicides_eve
April 11th, 2008, 05:58 AM
mn is short for micronal nirate ( can't spell it..) its Monistat the coochie cream, for some like my self it gives increase growth rate

lora410
April 11th, 2008, 06:00 AM
I am only 1yr into my growth and started at shoulder and I am now BSl ;it goes by fast :-)

April1
April 11th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Wow 'suicides eve' 1" per month how lucky. Maybe I will give this monistat thing a try. That still sounds odd to me though - how do you get around with that cream all in your scalp if its not washed every day, or, does it soak into the skin. I'll have to do a test patch.

Lora410 - shoulder length hair. Soon, please, soooon.:pray:

suicides_eve
April 11th, 2008, 06:57 AM
there is a monistat thread you should check in to make sure to read the whole thing it has all the info you need about side effects application and what not

Tabitha
April 11th, 2008, 06:58 AM
It took me 2 years to grow from chin length bob to below BSL/nearly waist. I had regular salon trims but latterly only every 6 months.

birdiefu
April 11th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Hmm, I started with a 14" bob with a shaved nape. If I remember correctly (this was pre-LHC, so I didn't pay particular attention), it took about 1 1/2 years to get about halfway between shoulder and APL. But, I was having 'regular' (every 6-8 weeks) trims during that time. No idea how much was cut off each time.

During that time of growth, my hair was required to be up for work, so I would use a little half-pony when it was really short, to shoving it all in a baby pony once the back was long enough, to a messy bun at it's longest. I didn't have problems wearing it out when not at work, I think since I was just happy I didn't have to have it up.

jojo
April 11th, 2008, 10:42 AM
my answer is in my siggi! I was 16" this time last year and now I am near enough 23" which is a couple of inches of BSL for me!

Shypii90
April 11th, 2008, 01:16 PM
hey

I have short hair so am still going through the growing-out phase. it's horrible! I'm not even at 1 year yet. I feel like a poofball lol, especially in my country's humid climate. I'm gonna buy a buff to help me through the growing out stage. It should help a lot to hide it from view :)

Islandgrrl
April 11th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I started with hair that was about 2" long all over and now, just a but less than 3 years later (including several trims) I'm just sneaking to BSL (I should be there solidly in a month). I'm guessing another 18 months or so to hip for me.

khyricat
April 11th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I only average about 1/2" growth.. I was chin/ear length Oct 06, had 2 trims - Dec and April immediately after, and then nothing, I am just shy of BSL now... since my hair is thin, by about 17" I could do updos, etc.. that was ~7/8 month from big chop that i have regretted ever since.. I would say it was APL about 1 year after... but remember that did include the 2 trims.. and they weren't microtrims... I haven't had a trim at all in over a year and I plan on continuing that way unless I start to notice splits.