PDA

View Full Version : I caved under the pressure(look, another sock bun!)

Kiraela
July 3rd, 2009, 03:01 PM
I have been looking at all these pretty sock buns and I couldn't resist - I had to go carve up a sock! Luckily I'd just thrown away some holey socks earlier today, so there were no useful-sock fatalities. :D I used up the excess length with four rope braids. It probably would have looked cooler with more braids, but I didn't really feel like taking the time.

I even got a good picture of how my hair looks in sunlight (which is odd, since I wasn't IN the sunlight, but the color is the same...:confused::shrug:)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=703&pictureid=43424

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=703&pictureid=43423

And this is the color my hair usually looks in sunlight.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=703&pictureid=43422

swirlytresses
July 3rd, 2009, 03:02 PM
Very pretty!!! :)

Merlin
July 3rd, 2009, 03:02 PM
That's lovely - I think that merits an...

:agape:

Starr
July 3rd, 2009, 03:03 PM
:thud:

Beautiful!

Kiraela
July 3rd, 2009, 03:04 PM
Wow, thanks! I don't think I've gotten a jawdrop or a thud before. :)

Just when I thought today couldn't get any better... :D

Coriander
July 3rd, 2009, 03:05 PM
I'm blinded by the gleam, the shine, the gorgeous coloring. :D

Speckla
July 3rd, 2009, 03:06 PM
wow.wow.wow.

Kiraela
July 3rd, 2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks speckla!

I like the coloring in updos (the ends add contrast) but down it's still a little wierd. :)

eresh
July 3rd, 2009, 03:09 PM
Very beautiful Kiraela!

Kiraela
July 3rd, 2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks Eresh :)

Quixii
July 3rd, 2009, 03:13 PM
Very pretty!
You know, I've never heard of a sock bun, and then these last few days I've seen all these threads about them! I think I need to cave under the pressure too.
But first I need a sock... I don't think I have any socks that are deserving of that fate. xD Maybe I can hit up my dad.. :)

Shermie Girl
July 3rd, 2009, 03:18 PM
Wow. Very pretty, indeed. The rope wrapping really punches it up and makes it look special. :D

rose_in_bloom
July 3rd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Kiraela, that is definitely thud-worthy!!! :thud: That is a gorgeous sock bun, and the braids around it look sooo pretty!

RoseRedDead
July 3rd, 2009, 03:21 PM
Ooh, it's big and shiny and braided! Me likey. :D

RavennaNight
July 3rd, 2009, 03:24 PM
Oh wow that is a shiny perfect sock bun! I love sock buns myself:inlove:.

neon-dream
July 3rd, 2009, 03:24 PM
Stunning!!!
When you have the time you should definitely try more braids. That will make it more than thudworthy!
:thud:

Kiraela
July 3rd, 2009, 03:25 PM
Quixii: I used to do sock buns, but then lost my hairsock when I moved, and completely forgot about them! They really are super easy.

Roseinbloom: Thank you. :flower:

Rosereddead: :D Thanks!

Kiraela
July 3rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks Ravenna :)

NeonDream: I will try and to one with more braids on Monday. Maybe even one with a combination of rope and english braids. I've done that once and it was very fancy looking :)

longhairedfairy
July 3rd, 2009, 03:40 PM
"Caved under pressure" made me think you had it cut.:shudder: :lol: It's lovely. The last one kind of reminds me of the ancient Greek or Roman hairstyles.:)

Xandergrammy
July 3rd, 2009, 04:09 PM
Whoa! That is one BEAUTIFUL sock bun!!! :bowtome:

MandaMom2Three
July 3rd, 2009, 04:56 PM
VERY pretty! Yeah, I got bitten by the sock bug the other day too :D

Gumball
July 3rd, 2009, 04:59 PM
That's darn snazzy. Look at all that leftover braided hair that's wrapped around it. Not remotely hiding that lovely length!

Longlocks3
July 3rd, 2009, 06:15 PM
WOW! You win, my sock bun bows before your sock buns beauty!

WritingPrincess
July 3rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
Wow! That's the coolest sock bun I've seen in a long time! I never thought of doing rope braids. Must try that.

Bunnyhare
July 3rd, 2009, 07:50 PM
That was well worth salvaging a sock for! what amazing beauty! color,shine, and so much hair!!!

rogue_psyche
July 3rd, 2009, 07:52 PM
Lovely updo! I love the shine and the contrast of colors.

Kiraela
July 3rd, 2009, 09:19 PM
Thanks XanderGrammy :)

LongHairedFairy: Nah, it will be a long time if ever before I cut it short.

Manda: I think I'm going to be doing this one more often. Only took four bobby pins to hold up all the braids, too.

Gumball: I don't think I've had my hair called snazzy before. :D

Longlocks3: Your sock bun was the inspiration behind mine, you bun-muse you :P.

WritingPrincess: Thanks :D It's really easy but looks way more complicated than it is. I have a bunch of ideas I want to do monday and get pictures of... Ropebraided Ropebraids wrapped around, more little braids, etc.... It shall be FUN!!

Grahtoestudio: I don't like throwing anything away unless I have to so it was definately a good repurposing. I love my shine, and the color it is growing out - but sometimes this much hair is a pain in the butt, let me tell you. :D

Rogue Psyche: Thanks - I like the contrast of the colors in updos. I love your name!

ChatoyantLocks
July 3rd, 2009, 09:22 PM
Gorgeous shine!

Dementia1013
July 3rd, 2009, 09:50 PM
Brilliant! I love the rope braids, I can't believe I didn't think of this. I've done a sock bun before, but when I braid the tail, it's too thick and short to make it around the bun. This is perfect!

<3 You have gorgeous hair. :D

Heavenly Locks
July 4th, 2009, 02:45 AM
My bun wants to grow up to be like YOUR bun!! :thud:

janeytilllie
July 4th, 2009, 02:52 AM
:thudpile: WOW! Your sock bun is beautiful and so shiny! :D

Dachsdragon
July 4th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Wow your sock bun is stunning! Im in complete awe :bowtome:

Newniepg
July 4th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Oh I do like that! It's lovely. I too got inspired and hacked up a sock! Your hair is wonderfully shiny. :)

Ryanne
July 4th, 2009, 07:24 AM
The beginning of the title was pretty misleading, but what a gorgeous bun!

Rentlle
July 5th, 2009, 08:52 AM
wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oh :love:

Kiraela
July 5th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks, all of you :) :D

lambhair
July 5th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Very Pretty! Those rope braids really look good with the sock bun-very nicely done!

Nyghtingale
July 5th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Awesome bun. Truly awesome.

redneckprincess
July 5th, 2009, 04:06 PM
That looks really cool I cant wait till I can wrap mine in a braid insted of a scarf...and such shiney hair to top it all off :) ♥

GreyLadyBast
July 5th, 2009, 06:23 PM
...I can't see the pictures, and I dunno why! *pout*

bridgetsgirl
July 5th, 2009, 06:36 PM
That is such a pretty range of colors in your hair! Sock buns rock, I did them on and off when my hair was longer, since it was a quick 'do for the morning and got my hair where it needed to be for work.

AprilElf
July 5th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Awesome sock bun, Kiraela! Usually I'm not that keen on this style, but yours really looks great with the rope braids. :)

Kiraela
July 6th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks, Nyghtingale!
It won't be long before you can, I bet, RedneckPrincess :).
GreyLadyBast - I don't think you are allowed to see pictures before you reach 25 posts. :/ Which it seems you are at, now! Congrats on unlocking the next step of functionality!
Bridgetsgirl: Thank you:) .
Thanks AprilElf! :) Anything can be improved with the addition of rope braids:D.

Elphie
July 6th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Oooh, very pretty sock bun! Thumbs up!

Kiraela
July 6th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks Elphie!

Quixii
July 6th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Okay, so the other day, I tried a sock bun for the first time! I was excited. I'm wondering if I could get it to stay for gymnastics, as it's much more comfortable to roll on than my current ugly bun that I use.
Pics: (Though the sock started to show on the side)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/young_artist/sockbun2.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/young_artist/sockbun4.jpg
:D [/hijack]

Carina
July 6th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Gorgeous bun my friend.I can't wait to do one with my hair.But I'm only bsl soon so that have to wait.You have beautiful hair;).

Kiraela
July 6th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Very pretty, Quixii!!! Your hair looks like spun gold...

Ah, yes. What I refer to as a 'sock-colored scrunchie' showing, hehe. It took me several tries before I made my first decent, nonlumpy, non sock showing sockbun :/.