PDA

View Full Version : Strawberry blond- stupid question

serious
July 3rd, 2009, 12:54 PM
This probably is a stupid question, but I am really curious

Why is this light golden red color of hair called strawberry blonde? I mean, it doesn't look like strawberryes at all. :confused:
http://www.style-hair-magazine.com/image-files/largeredhaircolor6.jpg

Shermie Girl
July 3rd, 2009, 12:59 PM
I honestly don't know. I don't think it looks anything like strawberries, either.

I tend to think of it as rose-gold, myself. :D

Merlin
July 3rd, 2009, 01:06 PM
I'm married to one - she didn't know she was one till she started going to the same hairdresser as me, described herself as a redhead and was told "Actually, you're a strawberry blonde".

camirra555
July 3rd, 2009, 01:07 PM
That's my mom's natural colour and I never understood it either. Now my mom has been getting greys so she uses dye to cover it and while it's a close match I don't think the colour is as nice as her natural colour

ericthegreat
July 3rd, 2009, 01:08 PM
Ok the woman in that pic is neither fully blonde nor a redhead, nor does her color evoke any suggestion of strawberries. She is simply a woman with highlights.

Themyst
July 3rd, 2009, 01:09 PM
That pic looks more like dirty (dishwater) blonde to me with highlights.

danacc
July 3rd, 2009, 01:18 PM
The real question for me is how we came to the term "red hair". But taking it on faith that "red" is the right adjective to use for redheads, "red blonde" is a red-hair-ish blonde. And strawberries are red.

Torrin Paige
July 3rd, 2009, 01:35 PM
I am one of those strawberry blondes. LOL. When you look at the individual strands of my hair they range from white to cream to gold to yellow to orange to red...and I mean actual rusty red. I always assumed that it came from the tint that strawberries tend to give...when I mash them up for strawberry shortcake and whatnot they stain my hands a reddish pink...so perhaps it's what one would imagine blonde hair would look like with the strawberry stain on it? Here's all Dictionary.com had to say about it :

–noun
1. reddish blond.
2. a person with reddish-blond hair.
Origin:
1875–80, Americanism

My hair is neither red, nor blonde, but somewhere in between. I suspect it was the chosen term because it sounds cute. Maybe? :shrug:

serious
July 3rd, 2009, 01:44 PM
Torrin Paige,
I like your explanation :) it is possible that someone with blonde hair wanted to dye it with strawberries to achieve the red..we put all weird stuff on our hair, so why not strawberries :)

longhairedfairy
July 3rd, 2009, 02:17 PM
The picture in the link just looks striped to me.

ETA: Seriously, what's with all the striped hair these days?

misstwist
July 3rd, 2009, 02:27 PM
I am also a strawberry blond, though I have never thought of my hair as that color, but that's what other people call it. I always thought of my haircolor as gold.

florenonite
July 3rd, 2009, 03:07 PM
I am one of those strawberry blondes. LOL. When you look at the individual strands of my hair they range from white to cream to gold to yellow to orange to red...and I mean actual rusty red. I always assumed that it came from the tint that strawberries tend to give...when I mash them up for strawberry shortcake and whatnot they stain my hands a reddish pink...so perhaps it's what one would imagine blonde hair would look like with the strawberry stain on it? Here's all Dictionary.com had to say about it :

–noun
1. reddish blond.
2. a person with reddish-blond hair.
Origin:
1875–80, Americanism

My hair is neither red, nor blonde, but somewhere in between. I suspect it was the chosen term because it sounds cute. Maybe? :shrug:

That makes sense. I was thinking something similar; it's a reddish blonde, but strawberry blonde sounds, to take your word, "cute". You can even extrapolate this to say that strawberry blonde is more common on children than adults, therefore it's associated with childhood and cuteness, perhaps.

I don't think the colour in the link is strawberry blonde at all. It just looks like someone with blonde and red highlights, and doesn't look natural at all. I would maybe call the colour I have in my second siggy pic strawberry blonde; in some lights I would definitely call the formerly blonde bits of my hair strawberry blonde, courtesy of a henna gloss.

Cinnamon Hair
July 3rd, 2009, 04:02 PM
I never understood it either. To me, that color should be called orange. It is not at all red.

invisiblebabe
July 3rd, 2009, 04:17 PM
To me, this is strawberry blonde;

http://i43.tinypic.com/3g2fb.jpg

The girl in the OP seems to have some strawberry blonde in her hair, but I also see light blonde highlights.

Torrin Paige
July 3rd, 2009, 11:17 PM
Ah, yes, but strawberry blonde hair photographs all wonky. Sometimes it's red, sometimes it's blonde! I've had people argue over whether I was a blonde or a redhead...in front of me! Hmm...here's an example from last year...these pics were taken within two days of each other...one inside, one outside:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/torrinpaige/SANY0101-1.jpghttp://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/torrinpaige/SANY0098.jpg

It's really weird. I always called myself blonde, but so many people kept telling me my hair was red, so I started referring to it as strawberry blonde. I mean, what else do you call it? :shrug:

zombi
July 4th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Ah, yes, but strawberry blonde hair photographs all wonky. Sometimes it's red, sometimes it's blonde! I've had people argue over whether I was a blonde or a redhead...in front of me!

It's really weird. I always called myself blonde, but so many people kept telling me my hair was red, so I started referring to it as strawberry blonde. I mean, what else do you call it? :shrug:

yeah, before I started colouring my hair this happened to me all the time. sometimes it looks red and sometimes it looks blonde and nobody knows what it is? so they just say "strawberry blonde".

even though I had to use dye to make it looks anything like a real strawberry! ;)

Charlotte
July 4th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Hi Torrin, the first person who came to mind when I read this post was you :) (love your "how to" videos on Youtube by the way). I think another term for Strawberry Blonde could be Spun Gold - that's what I always think of when I see this beautiful shade of hair.

Lady Verity
July 4th, 2009, 03:47 AM

Good lord, she's beautiful! *stares with envy*

I, too, am a strawberry blonde. I'm descended from blondes and one uber-redhead, so it's like the genes got mixed up along the way.

I always assumed the term 'strawberry blonde' meant that if you placed a strawberry on the hair, the colours would compliment each other. Erm...that makes sense to me. :rolleyes:

nueinsel
July 4th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Yep, "strawberry blond" means blond hair with a good bit of orange (or what we typically call "red," even in cats and dogs) in it to me too. I was always told I had strawberry blond hair as a child, but once I hit my twenties, people began almost exclusively calling it just regular blond (it hasn't changed much in color since I was a child). In fact the only people left who don't consider it blond are the children I work with, most of whom are inundated constantly with Disney princesses. They call it gold and are absolutely thrilled that it's waist length. I know my hair has never been and never will be that intense, really-redheaded, "ginger" color most redheads have, but I still identify more as a redhead than a blond, so I stick with the "strawberry blond" label. It's silly, I know, but it's just how I've always thought of myself. For the record, I have seen all kinds of really beautiful shades of blond out there, and I'm not trying to knock the color at all.

neon-dream
July 4th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Bah I never understood this either, then again I don't really understand how I am a redhead not an orangehead.
Just one of those things, I suppose. :)

Elly
July 4th, 2009, 10:24 AM
i'm a so called strawberry blonde but i also never understood why it's called like that. >.<! It's such a weird name because the haircolor really got nothing to do with the color of a strawberry

longhairedfairy
July 4th, 2009, 11:23 AM

The girl in the OP seems to have some strawberry blonde in her hair, but I also see light blonde highlights.
Who is this? I'm in envy of her perfect nose.:D

Dez
July 4th, 2009, 03:54 PM
i always figured that it was strawberry blonde because it sounds better to say that than to say reddish blonde, orange blonde? And it doesn't sound as good to say orange head as opposed to red head. LOL I know some little girls who one would be considered strawberry blonde. He hair has individual strands of blonde and light red. So pretty.

chamogirl
July 4th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Strawberry blonde hair photographs red most of the time because cameras pick up the color red for some reason. I am strawberry blonde and greying, but choose not to color ever again. I think also the natural color is translucent and light passes thru the shaft playing up the different shades of blonde and red with different lighting. An unusual color and since I have left mine alone it has darker dirty blonde roots and under canopy and then pales out to the honey + strawberry streaky highlights on its own. With a touch of silver at the temples. Sometimes I think it looks discolored and that has led me to experiment with henna and box colors. I have learned to leave it alone as if I go one way or the other(blonder or red) then it looks even more odd and does not go well with my skin tone.
Enough of my meanderings.

chamogirl
July 4th, 2009, 06:52 PM
The picture in the link just looks striped to me.

ETA: Seriously, what's with all the striped hair these days?

I guess you would call it archtectial interest?

thankyousir74
July 4th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I don't see anything but blonde in that picture... I don't see any red at all! :confused:

ETA: I was referring to the OP btw :lol:

truepeacenik
July 5th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I've always heard strawberry as a light golden red.
I worked with a strawberry blond woman who was as red as can be in personality!

invisiblebabe
July 5th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Who is this? I'm in envy of her perfect nose.:D

Her name is Anniek Kortleve, she is a model, I believe she is Dutch. :) And, LadyVerity, she is 6', so you two have something in common! :D

Mebo
July 5th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I'm a strawberry blonde. My mother, brother and one sister are all auburn. Three of my four children are also redheads. As I've gotten older, my hair has gone from white blonde (as a child) to strawberry blonde to strawberry blonde and silver. It's that hint of red that makes the difference. Underneath, my hair is very red, but the part that sees the sun is blonder.

There are horses called strawberry roan, for much the same reason!