PDA

View Full Version : Hair stick/fork blues

Deimos
July 3rd, 2009, 02:30 AM
This is not a post about my inabilitiy to use them, because I can actually. But I hardly ever use my beautiful hairfork, which makes me sad. To use forks/sticks you need to roll the hair pretty tight to keep it where it should be. However if I do so I have a super tiny bun! (A person actually didn't believe my hair was over bsl because it all fitted in that tiny bun)
My hair is nearing waist but is thin, fine and fairytaled (the bulk of my hair is at bsl though) Usually I have my hair up in with a claw or in a messy poofy bun to make it look like something.

Are there any buns one can do with hairsticks/forks that gives the illusion of a lot of hair?

Bene
July 3rd, 2009, 02:39 AM
the lazy wrap (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=72) makes a bun look pretty substantial. you can use two or three fingers for a fork, and wrap the excess hair underneath before inserting the stick/fork instead of tucking it.

it's in my avatar, and my hair isn't as long as yours.

Calista
July 3rd, 2009, 02:40 AM
You can use a "rat" of your own shed hair or a rolled up sock, like in a sock bun.

Or you can try to embrace your fine and delicate hairtype. I have always admired Madeleine (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=19)īs hair very much, it reminds me of antique lace (although I believe she has gotten it to thicken up some with the help of Rogaine). Be sure to check out her French twist website (http://www.haarkram.e-something.de/start.html) as well, her hair is beautiful!

I know thick hair is seen as the ultimate hair goal for anybody, but I think fine hair can be very beautiful.

Deimos
July 3rd, 2009, 03:06 AM
Thanks for the comments and the links!
@Bene: The lazy wrap looks very nice, I will try that.
@Calista: I'm okay with my hair, but sometimes I just wish it was more :) Thanks for the link, it is very inspirational.

Masara
July 3rd, 2009, 03:26 AM
I was going to say the lazy wrap too. I find it makes it look like I have more (thicker) hair than I do,especially of I use a fork.
Buns where I use several strands also give more "width". If I do a braided or rope braided bun with just one strand, it looks tiny, but to or more strands mean it's flatter to my head and occupies more space. Of course, each strand is very thin, but the culmulative effect is better. I can use forks or sticks with buns like that, but I also need hairpins to keep each strand in place.

Melisande
July 3rd, 2009, 05:58 AM
If you braid your hair with a silk shawl, it looks fuller. A loose, messy bun looks fuller, too.

Longlocks3
July 3rd, 2009, 07:29 AM
What about a sock bun? If you don't have enough hair to cover a regular sized sock you can try a child's sock.

Here is a link to a member who did just that, I got the idea for a small sock from her.:D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=28547

rags
July 3rd, 2009, 07:48 AM
I have the exact same problem. I like the lazy wrap also.
There is a thread on the front page right now "I learned a new bun (APL)" which makes a larger bun. Angel in disguise has a tutorial for her angelbun which can be done with at least BSL hair; I'm not sure about longer (my hair is only APL). It's quite poofy. Though I have troubles with the orchid bun sometimes, it makes a larger bun for me too.

I can't do sock buns because even with a child's sock my hair "splits" and shows the sock. So I do these others, and lots of braids! When it gets back long again, I'll do like someone else said and braid first and then bun.

Bunnyhare
July 3rd, 2009, 08:26 AM
I feel the forks work better when my hair is not tight-tight, but sticks do tend to need a tighter do for me..but a rat really helps and then you can use that to wedge the fork/stick into! and it gives the illusion of a lot of hair. Maybe you need a finer hair fork/stick? more tines? i love to decorate my hair too! good luck with all this great advice and links to hairdos, leave a picture if you get one you like, please!

kdaniels8811
July 3rd, 2009, 09:55 AM
Try cutting up a pair of pantyhose for a "rat". You can probably find some close to your haircolor and they do not show through like a sock would - unless you dyed the sock to match your hair like I did! Used up old hairdye - smile!! Just experiment with different pieces to see what works best - they work well under a french twist to give some bulk. An orchid bun is my go-to bun and seems to make my hair look like there is more than what there is. Good luck!

Deimos
July 4th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Thanks for all the replies :) I will try them out!

embee
July 4th, 2009, 07:45 AM
I know what you mean. My bun is so small and my longest hairs are 44+ inches long. (That's only a few of them, they actually hit the top of my thighs, but there's probably no more than a dozen of them!) Oh well....

Sometimes I feel discouraged about this, and then I remember: when my hair was short (sometimes very short) my hair was thin and fine and straight and flat, and it looked it. Now I laugh and say that "what I am lacking in thickness I make up in length" - which caused a friend of mine to laugh out loud when I said it... and he blushed! hee hee! ;)

sleepingbeauty
July 4th, 2009, 08:49 AM
the lazy wrap (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=72) makes a bun look pretty substantial. you can use two or three fingers for a fork, and wrap the excess hair underneath before inserting the stick/fork instead of tucking it.

it's in my avatar, and my hair isn't as long as yours.
Wow, thanks...I'm usually totally inept at making buns and keeping sticks in, but I watched your simple video and got it with the first try! And yes, it does make the bun look more substantial than other buns.

Thank you!!