PDA

View Full Version : You know someone is probably not an LHC member......

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

LeaM07
July 30th, 2009, 02:17 PM
...when they say bleaching your hair makes it grow in thicker.Hmm... I guess technically this could be true. If you bleach your hair to the point of extreme damage, the new (virgin, healthy) hair probably will be thicker than your existing hair. :)

Longlocks3
July 30th, 2009, 04:54 PM
If you accidently sleep in and don't have the time to shower.

NON LHCer: Crap! My hair is going to be nasty all day. This ruins my whole day!

LHCer: Sweet, good excuse for a benign neglect day.

Just the other day I kind of forgot to wash my hair and thought this.:cheese:

Cynder
July 31st, 2009, 07:52 PM
I know a lot of these have been said already (oh the joys of being late to the party)

If you don't wash your hair every day, its nasty.

You need to flat iron your hair to have it look healthy and shiny (but in that person's defence, she has reformed and was the person who introduced me to LHC)

Thinthondiel
July 31st, 2009, 08:26 PM
...when they let their sister, who is not a professional hairstylist, cut their hair pixie-short time and time again, as soon as it touches their shoulders.

(this used to be me... my sister would insist on cutting my hair as soon as it reached my shoulders, and I would let her because I didn't care. I was one of the "It's only hair" people.)

HennaFaerie
July 31st, 2009, 11:24 PM
We had a patient at work last month who had one. I said to her "You have a Kate Gosselin" haircut. And she said "Yes, I do!!! I even took a picture to the hairdresser so she'd get it right!" She was so proud. :bigeyes:

HEY! I used to keep a "Gosselin" type cut long before she was even heard of. I rocked it better, too. In fact, I drew the cut myself and took it to a salon. I rather liked it, thank you very much :p
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q41/kittycharlette/LHC/haircut.jpg

Flynn
July 31st, 2009, 11:26 PM
HEY! I used to keep a "Gosselin" type cut long before she was even heard of. I rocked it better, too. In fact, I drew the cut myself and took it to a salon. I rather liked it, thank you very much :p
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q41/kittycharlette/LHC/haircut.jpg

I used to have a "Gosselin-done-right", too (3-4 years ago). It did look good, if I may say so myself. Hers is... wrong though.

HennaFaerie
July 31st, 2009, 11:31 PM
I used to have a "Gosselin-done-right", too (3-4 years ago). It did look good, if I may say so myself. Hers is... wrong though.
Either ya got it, or ya don't :p

toodramatik
August 1st, 2009, 12:28 AM
When, while checking for headlice, they use those super-fine-toothed combs and just YANK at their hair (cringe).

When they say "I'm too lazy to [insert LHC recommended treatment here]", but not too lazy to straighten it every day.

When they say "But what's the point if you're not even going to straighten it/dye it/backcomb it?".

When they say "hair is ugly unless its [insert length here]".

WaimeaWahine
August 1st, 2009, 04:37 AM
...when you just want to pull them aside and tell them they would look better with longer hair!

...they insist that putting sunscreen in/on your hair will protect it. :rolleyes: I still hear this one all the time.

...they give you hair compliments with just a hint of disdain in their tone.

Leenda
August 1st, 2009, 07:36 AM
enfys pg 11 - When they can't believe that the plait you pinned on your head like a headband is your hair. "Wow, where did you get that, it matches so well" "Erm, it's from behind my ear".

I just choked on my morning coffee reading that! Too funny! :p

rchorr
August 1st, 2009, 10:43 AM
(I'm not knocking everything cheap and trashy - some of my best moments have been just that...)

Hee, hee. I agree! And those moments just CAN'T be planned! LOL!

RCHORR'

klcqtee
August 1st, 2009, 12:19 PM
They freak out at the mention of Monistat
They hit the floor at mention of putting it on your head! - "Do you have a yeast infection..on your...head?"

Unofficial_Rose
August 1st, 2009, 12:22 PM

That looks quite a bit nicer than KG's hairstyle. It hasn't got the hedgehog-thing going on at the back, and the colour is lovely!

Oops, that was for Hennafaerie's hair, although I'm sure Flynn's looked good too.

brista
August 1st, 2009, 03:14 PM
The best thing about K.G.'s hair is that she purposely wanted it to look like that. In one of the very early episodes, she goes to the salon and her stylist is like, "Yeah, Kate just loves this hairstyle. She told me she wanted it spikey in the back..." and K.G. says something like, "Gotta have my spikes!" I'm so sad that soccer moms across America are starting to pick up on this 'style'.

Xandergrammy
August 1st, 2009, 04:21 PM
The best thing about K.G.'s hair is that she purposely wanted it to look like that. In one of the very early episodes, she goes to the salon and her stylist is like, "Yeah, Kate just loves this hairstyle. She told me she wanted it spikey in the back..." and K.G. says something like, "Gotta have my spikes!" I'm so sad that soccer moms across America are starting to pick up on this 'style'.

Just today, in our CVS, one woman said to other (sporting a "perfect" K.G. 'do) "Oh, I love your hair!! Where do you go?" :rolleyes:

nicolina
August 1st, 2009, 04:47 PM
CVS? Excuse my ignorance...

lynnala
August 1st, 2009, 04:47 PM
CVS? Excuse my ignorance...It's a chain of drugstores in the U.S.

Locksmith
August 2nd, 2009, 10:30 AM
When they complain that their waist-length 1a hair "eats things" and is "unmangeable", and defy me to tame it. And after successfully taming it with just a little patient combing, they are astonished. And can't believe that the reason it's so horrible and tangly is that they never brush it and never condition it "because conditioner makes it greasy". And don't believe me if I say that you're only meant to put it on the ends, and that it's not "just the way their hair is".

Buzzzzz. WRONG!

LittleOrca
August 2nd, 2009, 10:35 AM
When you make a reservation at a resturant and put it under the name LHC and they say "Lincoln High School?" *winks at lynnala* And apparently, yes, school starts with a C. lol

lynnala
August 4th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Ha ha, little mermaid!

Heidi_234
August 4th, 2009, 03:52 AM
My recent "you know someone is probably not an LHC member" incident:
When they say "you should blow-dry it straight, your hair will look AMAZING".
:justy:
Which kinda sucks - because is I blow dry it all the time, it will become fried and horrible, but if I don't, I'm missing out AMAZING hair.

freckles
August 4th, 2009, 06:16 AM
if they say,
"you're not going to dye your hair ANY colour? you're boring."
¬.¬
(my little sister)

BlndeInDisguise
August 4th, 2009, 08:07 AM
if they say,
"you're not going to dye your hair ANY colour? you're boring."
¬.¬
(my little sister)

"Um, no, it already has a color. I don't think it needs another one."

:D:D

freckles
August 4th, 2009, 09:16 AM
"Um, no, it already has a color. I don't think it needs another one."

:D:D
I like that response very much! Thanks! :D

MemSahib
August 4th, 2009, 11:53 AM
This is one I've had over and over:

"Have you ever cut your hair in your life?"

My hair is classic, folks. Classic.

florenonite
August 4th, 2009, 12:15 PM

This baffles me. Hair grows ~6 inches a year. I'm almost at waist after two years of growing from shoulder. Within a year I ought to be at hip, then maybe another year and a bit to classic (though I don't think I'll grow that far; much past hip and I'd feel like I'd never be able to wear my hair down, which I like doing). It takes about a year to grow from bald to shoulder, especially when the top layers, like mine were, are at chin/ear. So that's five years from bald to classic, give or take a bit. As far as I know, you're more than five years old :p.

I mean, it's pretty common knowledge, even outside of LHC, that hair grows an average of 6" a year (Google something like "grow long hair" and you'll see how prevalent this knowledge is). Even if people don't know that, many (perhaps most) women dye or highlight their hair, or have done so in the past, so they should have an idea of how quickly it grows based on their roots. I think it might be because of the prevalent myth that you need to trim your hair every 6-8 weeks, and therefore some women might assume that if you don't do that you don't cut at all, or else are surprised at how quickly hair grows because they're always trimming it (this particuarly for women trying to grow their hair).

If someone ever asked me that I'd probably respond with something like "No, it grows really, really slowly, so I never cut it." :silly:

Pierre
August 4th, 2009, 07:08 PM
When her hair, though nearly waist-long and shiny on her head, is half broken right after her ponytail holder and dull from there down.

MemSahib
August 4th, 2009, 08:27 PM
When her hair, though nearly waist-long and shiny on her head, is half broken right after her ponytail holder and dull from there down.

I think if mine were like this it would be a clear case for a short cut to start over. But isn't it odd how often people accept far less than stellar hair, possibly because they don't know long hair can be anything except broken and dry?

hanne jensen
August 4th, 2009, 11:23 PM
When they wear their hair down in gale force winds. I see this all the time! Eek!

Heavenly Locks
August 4th, 2009, 11:27 PM
when they call MY hair "really really long" :rolleyes:

I mean, even to ME my hair is long, but really really? Not yet!

Flynn
August 5th, 2009, 12:19 AM
That looks quite a bit nicer than KG's hairstyle. It hasn't got the hedgehog-thing going on at the back, and the colour is lovely!

Oops, that was for Hennafaerie's hair, although I'm sure Flynn's looked good too.

Yaah, wrong one >_o

Trying to find a pic, but I can only find grown-out ones... they still have the same idea but aren;t quite it... I was spiky at the back, but in a different way, and it generally looked... normal but kind of different.

free_hug
August 5th, 2009, 12:34 AM

...or, they accidentally believed you're 7 years old ;)

florenonite
August 5th, 2009, 09:34 AM
when they call MY hair "really really long" :rolleyes:

I mean, even to ME my hair is long, but really really? Not yet!

I've not gotten any comments on the length of my hair from people I don't know yet, but I do get "your hair's so long" from family members and friends who think of me as someone with SL-APL hair. Still, even they wouldn't say "really really long", not yet ;)

Heidi_234
August 5th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I've not gotten any comments on the length of my hair from people I don't know yet, but I do get "your hair's so long" from family members and friends who think of me as someone with SL-APL hair. Still, even they wouldn't say "really really long", not yet ;)
But getting there :)

Sarahmoon
August 5th, 2009, 02:12 PM
-If they wear elastics with metal parts
Eh... I do that :p

- When they say they don't have time for long hair, as they spend an hour already to wash, blowdry and "style" their short hair every morning.
- When you tell them about the stuff (oil, vinegar, egg etc.) you put in your hair and they say "just go to the store and buy a good shampoo".
- "I don't understand why my hair doesn't grow... I have a 2 inch trim every months..."
- You mention you don't shampoo the length of your hair and they go like WHAT?!
- When I told a short haired guy I CWC he told me slowly you wash first, then put conditioner on your hair and then slowly detangle it with your fingers...
- When they see you with a different braid/updo every day of the week but still think you should cut it into a "style"
- They say "your hair just hangs there" :?
- They think you use liters of shampoo :D

. . .when having a photo taken you automatically face the camera.
:lol:

When people tell you bleaching your hair and blow drying/flatironing it is what you do to prevent bacterial growth.
Haaaaahahahahahah that is the best one ever! :lol::lol:
:lol:

Lemur_Catta
August 5th, 2009, 03:30 PM
When they ask "when are you stopping to treat your hair like salad?"

When they complain about the smell of vinegar in the bathroom (my sister, actually, who has very nice curly, light brown hair but flatirons and bleaches it)

When they say you look like an "ancient painting" or like "Mary Magdalene" (they are common things to say in Italy, and my hair is not that long yet...just BSL)

Btw,

Lemur_Catta
August 5th, 2009, 03:32 PM
ops I don't know how to edit my post! I was writing: by the way, Mary Magdalene was a beautiful woman and ancient paintings are widely considered art, so I am not offended by those kind of comments :D

Reptilia
August 5th, 2009, 04:05 PM
When they say coconut oil will dry your hair out... =/

Sarahmoon
August 6th, 2009, 03:37 AM

When they say you look like an "ancient painting" or like "Mary Magdalene" (they are common things to say in Italy, and my hair is not that long yet...just BSL)

[off topic] I see those as a compliment as I think those women have nicer hair than many women nowadays :D The photographer on my sisters wedding said I would fit well in the 19th century :D [/off topic]

Boon
August 24th, 2009, 01:33 AM
When they actually beliveves that trimming makes the hair grow faster.

When they bleaches their dark hair sometimes up to 5 times to become blonde.

Sorry if I've repeated what somebody else have already said... I haven't read the whole thread.

Little_Bird
August 24th, 2009, 08:23 AM
May I request an amendment to that? When they say "it's only hair!" and actually mean it. I'm sure some of us have said "it's only hair!" when bracing ourselves for a trim...

Yeah, I struggle with that one all the time!!

When they think that thin/fairytale ends mean split ends... Lots of people don't even know what a split end is =S

Jezerellica
October 18th, 2010, 02:11 PM
When they look at your hair in disgust when it's down and tell you that it would be better as a bob or a pixie... Actually happened to me... :(
Hey, me too. They are not your friend...:D

PiroskaCicu
October 18th, 2010, 02:19 PM
When you see a million little split ends ALL throughout their hair O_O!

When they are disturbed/disgusted with the idea of putting oil in your hair.

When they are combing/ styling/taking "Care" of their hair you hear all sorts of snapping, breaking...eek

Natalia
October 18th, 2010, 02:56 PM
When you are talkign to family/friend in public about hip and tailbone and random people scan you thinking your anorexic or something.

Alvrodul
October 18th, 2010, 03:53 PM
... when they, after washing their hair, proceed to take a rough cotton towel and vigorously rub the length, to get as much of the water out as possible. :scared:

That actually was me, once upon a time. :oops: I promise, I have learned better!:p

prosperina
October 18th, 2010, 03:56 PM
When, after telling someone that I henna my hair, she starts to argue with me about henna and how it's not permanent. I explained to her every time she brought it up that yes there are henna mixes you can buy at the health food store, but there is also body art quality henna. The first is very diluted and will wash out, the second makes a big thick mud paste, and it never fades. There's even a picture and a description of henna in the textbook we both teach out of and she refuses to believe me. Of course this is also the woman who's horribly allergic to nickel and has gotten her ears pierced at Claire's three times only to have to take out the earrings within a day because, each time, she almost fainted. :rolls eyes:

JulietCapulet
October 18th, 2010, 06:29 PM
... when they say "it's only hair!"

Just the sound of that makes me cringe!

Nae
October 18th, 2010, 06:36 PM
When they say, "Is that a sword in your hair?":agape:

Instead of the LHC response, "Hey, awesome hair sword, did you get that on etsy?"

Angeletti
October 18th, 2010, 07:41 PM
When they say, "Is that a sword in your hair?":agape:

Instead of the LHC response, "Hey, awesome hair sword, did you get that on etsy?"
That's funny I had the exact same thing happen to me, the guy was totally freaked out that I had a sword in my bun, it was comical.

As for the thread if someone says either of these two phrases I know they are probably not from LHC...

"If you cut your hair it will grow faster" and something along the lines of "your too old for long hair"... biggest pet peeves ever!

HintOfMint
October 18th, 2010, 07:47 PM
When they wear their hair down in gale force winds. I see this all the time! Eek!

... I do that:o
I detangle with lots of conditioner after, though!

But it's the ripping through their hair with a brush or fine-toothed comb that really makes me think they are definitely not a member of this site.

WinterInBloom
October 18th, 2010, 08:14 PM
As for the thread if someone says either of these two phrases I know they are probably not from LHC...

"If you cut your hair it will grow faster" and something along the lines of "your too old for long hair"... biggest pet peeves ever!

I really hate it when people say that. Some of the prettiest women I've seen were older, like ranging from middle aged to much older, and they have very long hair. I actually think having long hair when you're older is prettier than short hair, but that's just my opinion.

And if you're too old for long hair at 25 then I'm in trouble in a couple months.:p Silly.:rolleyes:

Alexannee10
October 18th, 2010, 08:30 PM
When they think that doing hair traitment would fix their split ends on their bleached hair. humf .

Skylight
October 18th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I tried to explain that there are very thick, even curly, haired people who can manage to keep their hair up with just one stick.

Actually, if your hair is curly enough, you don't need any sticks. It's a fun trick. :D

pepperminttea
October 18th, 2010, 08:36 PM
When after only seeing you with your hair up, they see you with it down, and are convinced it's wig because "where did that hair come from?!"

ps. Thanks for resurrecting this thread, Jezerellica, I've just read through all of it and had some giggles. :lol:

Immera
October 18th, 2010, 09:16 PM
People who think short hair is easier and cheaper to manage than long.

JuneBride
October 18th, 2010, 09:21 PM
...when they don't know what CO means

or

...when they don't know what cones are

;)

MissManda
October 18th, 2010, 11:12 PM
You know someone is probably not an LHC member...

... when they are sitting around waiting for their hair to dry and complain about how "straight" their hair is when you see obviously 2a/2b waves forming in their hair. I tried to explain to my friend that her hair was actually wavy and pointed out the waves in her hair...

... when she responds, "Oh, yeah. Those are there because I got a perm when I was ten years old and it's trying to come back." Mind you, this person is twenty-one years old and the perm had obviously grown out and been cut off by now. It makes me sad that she is so convinced that her hair is straight. :( I tried to kindly explain to her that this, but it just went over her head.

... when you wind up staying at your friends' house for a few days longer than you expected and need to wash your hair only to find out that they have several brands of shampoo and only one half-full bottle of conditioner. :bigeyes: At least it was Suave.

... when your parent and sister are visiting you and the your dad brings up hair in the conversation in hopes that you, being the long-haired older sister, will give your sister advice on how she needs to brush her hair (my sister doesn't brush) only to be shocked when you kindly tell her "Well, if you don't need to brush your hair than don't do it." :rollin:

... when someone freaks out when they see you detangling your hair with your hands and insists that you use a brush/comb/pick to rip it out instead because apparently your hands can't possibly untangle your hair properly.

... when people don't believe that you could possibly braid your own hair so neatly... until they see you do it and it takes less than five minutes. :D

<3OnHerSleeve
October 19th, 2010, 12:58 AM
when the hairdresser tells you "I had to cut an inch to get rid of the split ends" and you look down at 2-3 inches lengthy locks on the ground :P

<3OnHerSleeve
October 19th, 2010, 01:03 AM
stupid computer posted this twice :P

Roscata
October 19th, 2010, 01:50 AM
when they have no idea what a "shampoo bar" is.
when they think indigo is just a way to describe a purplish color.

FoxRain
October 19th, 2010, 05:29 AM
When they say "Oh, your hair is so shiny today! What gel did you put in it?"
"ehh, just haven't washed it in a week"
":disgust:"

Astarte_1980
October 19th, 2010, 05:32 AM
When they do not air dry their hair

growing2shine
October 19th, 2010, 08:20 AM
First I really had fun reading this thread! And I will now always remember:
"If you damage my hair, I damage your face!" and "Touch my hair and you will meet Jesus!"

About common knowledge (about hair) irl, it's really amazing how ignorant some people are.

Once at a party an elderly man laughed and said something about that it must have been taking a long time doing my hair. Well I said that it took me 10 minutes. He was very surprised. (It was a simple frenchbraid ponytail thingy.:D)

And when people say that short hair is so much easier to manage...(Im so tired of that one)

CaityBear
October 19th, 2010, 08:34 AM
When they backcomb their hair so much it literally stands straight up.... I remember seeing a tutorial where she did that with about shoulder length hair...it was scary.

And definitely when people think shoulder length is REALLY long. haha I laugh. :)

MissManda
October 19th, 2010, 01:59 PM
... when a parent with curly hair tells their like-haired child to brush their hair to make it look acceptable. Both DBF and his mom have 2c/3a hair and I just don't understand why DBF's mom doesn't comb her hair instead of brush and complains about my boyfriend's hair being frizzy and poofy. I just don't get it... :nono:

... when a random stranger looks at your brushed-straight hair and proclaims how girls shoulsn't flat-iron their hair because of how "unnatural" it looks. :bigeyes: Humans are so strange...

Anje
October 19th, 2010, 02:14 PM
...when their hair lives under backpack straps.

When they sing the praises of flatironing and Aqua-Net :p
Hey, I love Aqua-Net! Nothing else launches potatoes so far!

slythwolf
October 19th, 2010, 02:22 PM
When you become known as "the girl with the bun" at your work because you are literally the only one who works there whose hair is long enough for a bun.

Aleria
October 19th, 2010, 02:23 PM
When they say your BSL hair is "Sooo long" -_-'

RachelRain
October 19th, 2010, 02:44 PM
when people get that psychotically happy glint in their eyes as they *casually* (to them, maybe...) volunteer to cut your hair.

I brush (not comb) my hair... right-out-of-the-shower soaking wet, no less, and with a plastic ball tipped brush, and my hair's fine - no splits anywhere that anybody can find, and trust me, people look daily. It's like having a bunch of monkeys looking for lice, it's amusing. It kind of depends on your hair as well as the stupid things you do with it. (I wouldn't recommend people doing what I do, but it works for me, so :shrug:)

BrightEyes7
October 19th, 2010, 02:50 PM
When they say

"the more you tease/more spray you use/leave the curling iron on for a long time"

My SIL says she really wants to tease my hair because it is so long and pretty. She has a receding hairline due to the fact she teases so much.... I won't let her near my head, needless to say.

Jezerellica
October 20th, 2010, 08:21 PM
When after only seeing you with your hair up, they see you with it down, and are convinced it's wig because "where did that hair come from?!"

ps. Thanks for resurrecting this thread, Jezerellica, I've just read through all of it and had some giggles. :lol:
My sincere pleasure pepperminttea!!!! :D

FrannyG
October 20th, 2010, 08:46 PM
When they quickly rip their hair with a hair brush and you can hear the hair snapping. :justy:

little_cherry
October 20th, 2010, 08:51 PM
When they say "my hair is getting so used to this shampoo and conditioner" and you suggest a clarifying shampoo. Their response? "Oh, I don't want to go out and fuss with another product" and come back with a new shampoo and conditioner that way more expensive than said clarifying shampoo and throw their other one away. :rolleyes:

Johanna
October 20th, 2010, 10:09 PM

My hair is a bit like this because I'm growing out dye :( I think my ends have probably been dyed about 20 or so times in their poor lives. But It's quite sad to see people who have chin length hair in worse state than my bottom few inches that are BCL length.

Also, when girls have chin leength curly hair that is so fried, straightened and dyed that it already has see-through fairy tail ends. My ex co-worker had beautiful ringlets that she completly destroyed.

Magicknthenight
October 20th, 2010, 11:15 PM
When your DBF straightens his beautiful dark almost APL length curls. All the while saying.."I heard straightening was good for it...that it conditions it by putting the moisture in..see the steam?":eek:
So I tried to explain..but I felt like their was just too much to prove how wrong that is >_< so i kept it to a minimum...:p
One of these days I'm gonna get him to let me wash his hair with CO :smirk:

When that same DBF starts cracking up at the thought of having to borrow my apple cider vinegar (that i specifically buy to use on my hair) to cook with:lol:

Henrietta
October 21st, 2010, 03:13 AM
...when you're fighting with her (in this care it's my room mate) about "waist is here, not there". She thinks I have shoulder blade length hair and "waist is here *she showed her hips with her hands* You will be allowed to say that you have waist length hair only when you will reach this length (she showed hips again)". WHAT? Did you have biology at school?! (She had, as we were in the same class.) I am not at shoulder blade. I am in halfway to waist, which is the narrowest part of the torso;)
;)

Dragon
October 21st, 2010, 03:50 AM
-When they wonder why there hair wont grow when they are always getting trims
-When they tie there hair up to tight
-When they pull the hair tie up there hair
-When they don't know what CO washing is
-When they pile there hair on there head to wash
-When they bush from scalp down
-When they have never herd of oiling hair
-When they dont care about damage to there hair
-When they dont know every thing that can damage hair
-When they can't keep there naturaly oily hair looking nice
-When they wash there hair every day even tho there hair type don't need it

Henrietta
October 21st, 2010, 03:56 AM
-When they wonder why there hair wont grow when they are always getting trims
-When they tie there hair up to tight
-When they pull the hair tie up there hair
-When they don't know what CO washing is
-When they pile there hair on there head to wash
-When they bush from scalp down
-When they have never herd of oiling hair
-When they dont care about damage to there hair
-When they dont know every thing that can damage hair
-When they can't keep there naturaly oily hair looking nice
-When they wash there hair every day even tho there hair type don't need it

Yes! And:
-When they brush it wet with a plastic brush and they begin brushing at the top of the head at once
-When they sleep with their hair in an updo that they wore during a day; tight one, with a elastic with metal things
-When they have no idea what SLS is
-When they really, strongly believe that everything will be fine after bleaching their hair from light brown to really light blonde if they would start to use some conditioner
-When, having deep layers, they are wondering why they have so thin ponytail

Dragon
October 21st, 2010, 04:01 AM
When they say cutting your hair makes it grow quicker.

tigr
October 21st, 2010, 06:18 AM
When they have split ends on layers that are only to the tops of their ears.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 21st, 2010, 06:25 AM
when they lurk here for hours and then go to other sites to badmouth us. :D

podo
October 21st, 2010, 06:41 AM
when they lurk here for hours and then go to other sites to badmouth us. :D

Ah! You beat me to it!!

Katurday
October 21st, 2010, 06:47 AM
- When they don't have an account on LHC?

Cause I swear, according to those standards, a lot of us with damage prone, frizzy, brushed, dyed and anything "clearly NOT LHC" hair are right here, where we belong. I don't recall this being the "natural haircare, delicate handling and long hair community". Hair can be long and damaged to crap, and there's no line in the rules that state those who "torture" their hair cannot be here.

GRU
October 21st, 2010, 08:21 AM
I pretend I'm Italian and don't speak English, and scream if they touch me. >_o

My family went on a Caribbean cruise back when I was in high school, and the "braiding ladies" would SWARM when a new batch of tourists came ashore.

They glommed onto me (my hair was just shoulder length at the time), and I just talked in (my not very fluent high school) French. They'd get a confused look on their face and say, "You don't speak English?" and then they'd drop me like a hot potato, because they didn't want to have to work hard enough to overcome the language barrier to make a buck. Worked like a charm, every single time, every single port of call! :D

Also, for some reason, I have no ads. I actually don't think I've had any here for a while :shrug:

I use Google Chrome for my browser, and I have the AdSweep extension installed -- no ads here or anywhere! :cheese:

angelfell
October 21st, 2010, 08:28 AM
When s/he says your hair looks great, then when told that you only wash once/twice a week without shampoo, it's suddenly greasy, smelly, and gross. Because Exxon Valdez clearly visited my head since 5 seconds ago.

LOL I work for Exxon. Until Monday. New position. But that made me laugh :D.

chelseamichelle
October 21st, 2010, 08:46 AM
When they tell you that cutting your hair every four to six weeks will make it grow much faster

JulietCapulet
October 21st, 2010, 10:10 AM
When they tell you that cutting your hair every four to six weeks will make it grow much faster

This one really bugs me! It makes absolutely no sense and I wonder where they came up with the absurdity! lol.

Chamy
October 21st, 2010, 12:59 PM
-When they say that long hair takes SO much more time to manage than their bob-length bleached hair, and then go on to explain that they "only" shampoo and condition their hair in the morning, then blowdries, flatirons, sprays, teases and flatirons again then its done, when they have put some dust-it in it of course.
I then answer that it takes maximum 2 min for me to get my hair ready in the morning, and get the response, eew you dont wash your hair every day? No i wash every third or fourth day with only conditioner, never any shampoo. -Silence-Change of subject-

-When they say that they had extreeeeemely long hair when they were 13 and had to cut it to a bob because it was so hard to style everyday. And then she shows you a picture of her in that hairlength, and its in between shoulder and APL...

-When they ask why you bother to have long hair when you only put it up all the time. You answer that you love your hair long and that you think that its fun to learn new hairdos and looks good with it up. She answers; "I still dont get it" and shrugs her head

All of those were from the same person...

-When you see your friend rip a bbb, from the top all the way down, through freshly washed wet hair. And you can hear it snapping.

-When someone asks you if you have braided your hair yourself. I usuallt just answer: "No, i have a little chinese woman in my wardrobe that does it for me... She only eats grapes!"

I have so many examples i cant list them all. :P

bluesnowflake
October 21st, 2010, 01:05 PM
I got asked if I have extensions... nope!
Also when they ask how I can possibly do my own hair.

Chamy
October 21st, 2010, 01:08 PM
I really dont get it, why would we have someone else do our hair every day? that would cost a fortune, and it would take so much time to get to a salon every morning.

Spike
October 21st, 2010, 01:20 PM

Cause I swear, according to those standards, a lot of us with damage prone, frizzy, brushed, dyed and anything "clearly NOT LHC" hair are right here, where we belong. I don't recall this being the "natural haircare, delicate handling and long hair community". Hair can be long and damaged to crap, and there's no line in the rules that state those who "torture" their hair cannot be here.

:spitting:

I read this at work--and nearly broke something trying not to laugh.

You're spot-on. Learning how (and why) (and IF I EVEN WANT TO :p) take care of one's hair is a journey. Some folks are happy that it grows at all, and don't feel the need to treat it like a vintage textile.

So some come here because it's disintegrating up to their shoulders and they don't like it. Some come here for validation regarding thier not-mainstream care routine. Others are looking for new style tips.

It's all good. Can I get a kumbaya?

:grouphug:

Thanks.

yellowchariot
October 21st, 2010, 01:33 PM
When they give negative ratings on LHC members' YouTube Tutorials! :rolleyes:

Unofficial_Rose
October 21st, 2010, 02:00 PM
When you see them in the changing room at the gym, endlessly torturing every poor fuzzy strand with the blowfryer. :scared:

GRU
October 21st, 2010, 02:32 PM
-When someone asks you if you have braided your hair yourself. I usuallt just answer: "No, i have a little chinese woman in my wardrobe that does it for me... She only eats grapes!"

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/th_f_snork.gif?t=1287693047

nellreno
October 21st, 2010, 02:53 PM
When they think long hair is disgusting and dirty regardless of how the person takes care of it.

When they say they have miles of hair and their hair only reaches their shoulders.

When they say "Your hair is so long and pretty, you should cut it". I just don't get that one. If you think my hair is pretty why would you be telling me to change it?!?

When they think long hair is boring because you can't do anything with it.

When they say that you shouldn't have long hair past a certain age. My mom gets this a lot, she's in her sixties and her hair reaches her shoulder blades, which is pretty long compared to most of the women
Her age out here.
-------------------
In regards to the "Did you do that yourself" comments: my mom has Erb's palsy and has very limited use of her right hand. If she wants her hair in anything other than a ponytail I have to do it for her, even if it's something as relatively simple as a braid. Obviously this is a pretty uncommon thing, but there are those who either don't know how to do hairstyles the members here can, or they can't do it on their own hair (I can't do a dutch braid on my hair but I can do it on someone else), so it's not really that crazy of a question.

Intransigentia
October 21st, 2010, 03:25 PM
When they get after you to wear your hair loose because "always wearing it up damages it."

MissManda
October 21st, 2010, 03:42 PM
When they give negative ratings on LHC members' YouTube Tutorials! :rolleyes:

Yes! It makes me so sad when I see them do this. :(

Xi
October 21st, 2010, 04:13 PM
When they are convinced they know the one true way of making hair look good. Also, when they KNOW their opinion of what you should do with your hair is more important than your opinion... :laugh:

yellowchariot
October 21st, 2010, 04:24 PM
^ I actually used to be one of "those people" that wondered how in the world did a lady braid her own hair, because the concept of it appeared so complex to me! :p

Henrietta
October 22nd, 2010, 10:28 AM
When they are convinced they know the one true way of making hair look good. Also, when they KNOW their opinion of what you should do with your hair is more important than your opinion... :laugh:

Exactly! And their knowledge can be summed up in four words: cones, flat iron, hair spray. Together.

Todays' observation: when they think that French braid=Dutch braid.

turquoisebud
December 23rd, 2010, 08:22 PM
This is such a fun thread! The last comment was in October, so I thought I would revive it! It has been very amusing for me!:drama: My hair is BSL. Before LHC I washed my hair with strong shampoos, then blowfried on high, then straightened on a super hot heat, and to finish it all off -- are you ready for the finale -- rip through it with a plastic brush! Yikes! I can't believe I did that to my hair!:shocked:

Pifkin
December 23rd, 2010, 08:23 PM
This is such a fun thread! The last comment was in October, so I thought I would revive it! It has been very amusing for me!:drama: My hair is BSL. Before LHC I washed my hair with strong shampoos, then blowfried on high, then straightened on a super hot heat, and to finish it all off -- are you ready for the finale -- rip through it with a plastic brush! Yikes! I can't believe I did that to my hair!:shocked:
I did that too for a few years. I think most of the damage is finally gone now... :o

prosperina
December 23rd, 2010, 09:14 PM
I got this from a friend: "Do you french braid your hair yourself?" :lol: She is a friend so I'm not going to snap at her, but really? She knows I live alone, and she's not one prone to silly illogical statements either. I just think that a lot of people are amazed that anyone could something with her own hair other than brush it. I had a girl at work ask me if I did my own braid and this time it was a simple half up English braid. Really? You never learned to braid as a child?

Kome
December 23rd, 2010, 09:20 PM
....when their hair is down past their butt, but it's just gets thinner and thinner from BSL down, they RIP brushes through their hair, and it's always got knots in it that they are ripping out or it looks like a poof ball. *breathes* Okay, I'm done venting. Haha.

eezepeeze
December 23rd, 2010, 09:28 PM
They have very curly hair, but insist on brushing it out with a plastic vented brush until it's all frizzy, then complaining they can't do a thing with it.

ScarlettAdelle
December 23rd, 2010, 09:36 PM
I had to look up Kate Gosselin, I had no idea who she was. What the heck is that, some kind of reverse mullet? :eek:

While in hair school I developed a deep-seated hatered for that cut. I don't use the word "hate" often, but it aptly describes how I feel towards that cut. Nearly every person I spoke to durring that experience tried their absolute best to either get me to dread my hair or cut it into "triangular layers," including a guest speaker who literally begged me to let him cut my hair on stage. I tend to rename things, mostly things I dislike. I have a few names for that cut:
"The Duck Butt" mostly when it's flat ironed to flip out/up at the nape of the neck
"The Trapped Hedgehog" when it's gelled to look spikey at the nape of the neck
"The Anti-Mullet" obvious reasons
"The Zero Gravity Mullet" because the hairdresser who cut it must've been trying for a mullet, but was caught in a situation where they were unaffected by gravity, and thus had to perform the cut from above. A lose-lose situation for all involved.

When they tell you "you shouldn't have hair more than 1/3 your height. It makes you look short" and "triangular layers look great on everyone" and my personal favorite "you should cut your hair and sell it for extensions"

Favorite comments from a client in my chair/other stylists:
-What do you mean you're not donating it? (I have to hold my tongue and not say "Which part are you having trouble comprehending?")
-I'm going to cut it while you're sleeping (they seem to forget that I have either an extremely hot or extremely sharp object in my hand... This is generally when I start humming Sweeney Todd songs to myself)
-Why would you grow it that long? (you don't see me standing here quizzing you about your 4 inches of lifeless dekeratinized moisture sapped, colored, recolored, decolorized, recolored, bleached, blowdried frizziness, do you?)
-Where'd you get your extenstions (*twitch*)
-Long hair is unbecoming of a young lady (well, then it's a good thing I'm a Sheltie, then, isn't it? -_-;)

lapushka
December 24th, 2010, 07:22 AM
-Why would you grow it that long? (you don't see me standing here quizzing you about your 4 inches of lifeless dekeratinized moisture sapped, colored, recolored, decolorized, recolored, bleached, blowdried frizziness, do you?)

:thumbsup:

Braidy
December 24th, 2010, 08:04 AM
When they ask you: "Grow your hair? Why would you wanna do THAT?"
That actually was the first reaction of most of my classmates when I told them I planned on (much) longer hair. Especially the look on their face like "Are you out of your mind?". No I'm not!

LissaJane
December 24th, 2010, 10:55 AM
"The Duck Butt"

Ahahaha, it totally does look like a duck butt!

luxepiggy
December 24th, 2010, 12:14 PM
...when you're fighting with her (in this care it's my room mate) about "waist is here, not there". She thinks I have shoulder blade length hair and "waist is here *she showed her hips with her hands* You will be allowed to say that you have waist length hair only when you will reach this length (she showed hips again)". WHAT? Did you have biology at school?! (She had, as we were in the same class.) I am not at shoulder blade. I am in halfway to waist, which is the narrowest part of the torso;)
;)

Wow. Has she never shopped for clothing online before? I thought by now everyone would be familiar with the little silhouette sporting the dotted lines indicating bust, waist & hip . . . apparently not :p

nellreno
December 24th, 2010, 12:58 PM
When they say they shampoo their hair three different times in one sitting with three different shampoos: one for dandruff, one for hairloss, and one for the good nutrients the shampoo has has. Oh, and they sometimes do this twice a day because their hair is falling out. That made me facepalm.

nellreno
December 24th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Really? You never learned to braid as a child?

Some people don't, really. There was no one who could teach me, so I taught myself how to braid and french braid hair in high school. Not everyone has the same childhood....

luxepiggy
December 24th, 2010, 06:06 PM
. . . by their horrified reaction when you mention that you haven't used shampoo since October (^(oo)^)v

luxepiggy
December 24th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Some people don't, really. There was no one who could teach me, so I taught myself how to braid and french braid hair in high school. Not everyone has the same childhood....

I just learned how to braid this year . . . when I joined LHC :o

MissManda
December 24th, 2010, 06:16 PM
... when their first reaction to seeing a photo of someone with knee-length hair is that they must sit on it all the time.

... and when their reaction to you telling them that maybe the person wears their hair up a lot is "What's the point of beautiful long hair if you don't wear it down?"

christine1989
December 24th, 2010, 06:19 PM
When they give me the "ick face" when they see me put coconut oil in the ends of my hair.

IcarusBride
December 24th, 2010, 07:59 PM
My Mother- She puts her hair up with elastics (rubber bands) when it's in her face at work and she has 'nothing else' she can put it up with, and when she gets home she has to cut the elastic out. I taught her how to use a pen as a hairstick to put her APL hair into a bun. She went to a party and showed all of her friends (mid-40s soccer moms with ~SL hair) how to do it, and apparently it was like a magic trick, no one had ever heard of such a thing but they really liked it?! Haha I was shocked no one ever thought to put their hair up with a pencil, I've been doing it since middle school.

When my mother, after learning how to use hairsticks ^, started using chopsticks from chinese takeout in her hair, the ones you have to pull apart and are all splintery non-smooth wood. *cringe*

My brother tried telling me the "I'm going to cut off your hair when you are sleeping!" joke, and I told him the "I'll cut off your finger while you're sleeping!" joke. His finger, they can reattatch in less than an hour and a few months PT, whereas my hair would take years to grow back!

My entire family and friends now know better than to mention LOL, and in fact they also tell their family and friends not to have anything to do with them.

My friend from High School (went to cosmetology school for a few months but dropped out, because disability pays better than employment!) constantly is telling me that I need to trim my hair 1 inch every 6 weeks and it will make it grow faster, she "KNOWS" this because she "went to cosmetology school" and I am being unreasonable for believing things I read on the internet (LHC) over her 'education'.

My male friend (a friend of my then-bf) told me that women who wear their hair up are boring, and men don't find these boring women attractive until they are 30 or older. He's a hypocrite, though, because he has drawing/paintings of etheral long haired women as his computer desktop. If these women really existed, they'd be wearing their hair up most of the time to keep it in that good of condition!

My maternal grandmother has the idea that shampoo, dishwasher detergent, hand soap, dish soap, and washing machine detergent are all interchangable. My mom has told me countless times that when she was a kid, my grandmother would buy a bunch of bottles of whichever was cheapest and they'd use it for all those functions until it ran out!

When curly haired girls make youtube videos of flat ironing their hair strait, and then using a curling iron to curl it. It makes NOOOO sense to me. I guess the point is to make more 'perfect' artificial looking curls? But then they tell you to fling your hair around to 'make it look more natural and messy'. Whyyyyy ? The original hair was beautiful! :(

Lianna
December 24th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I think LHC has a lot of different members, so it's possible to find someone who washes their hair twice with shampoo everyday (me), or people who is afraid of oil (seen lots).

I did CO for about almost a year, with no real benefits for me (I hanged in there alright). With shampoo I have much better growth.

I even thought about putting someone who cuts their hair 20 inches in one sitting, but you what, I've seen this happen here too. :)

This about brushing hard, well, it happens here aswell, sure we might feel 'worse' about it than non-LHC'ers (maybe).

So I don't have good pointers to share.

ETA: The are lots of things shared in this thread that members do, or can do, because their hair don't brake at the sight of a metal elastic, plastic comb or bleach. Henna IS bad for some people's hair (there's even a thread about it). These kinds of threads are good and bad. Bad because makes me feel I shouldn't be here (I've tried lots of the recommended things this past year), good because I don't need all this "special treatment", and I'm sure I'm not the only one in the world, that's maybe why you see someone using a plastic ball brush.

kschr2004
December 24th, 2010, 08:38 PM
When someone says:

'So let me get this straight. The first picture you send me on Yahoo Messenger is of the back of your head?'

LOL.

Uni&Corn
December 25th, 2010, 02:43 AM
When they warn you in Youtube tutorials to only flat-iron your hair 2-3 times a week because it's damaging.
Haha. How about never?

Igor
December 25th, 2010, 03:23 AM
My friend from High School (went to cosmetology school for a few months but dropped out, because disability pays better than employment!) constantly is telling me that I need to trim my hair 1 inch every 6 weeks and it will make it grow faster, she "KNOWS" this because she "went to cosmetology school" and I am being unreasonable for believing things I read on the internet (LHC) over her 'education'.
Trimming an inch every 6 weeks = (52/6) x 1 = minus 8,6 inches a year
Igor’s annual growth = 0,6 x 12 = 7,2 inches
Yea, that would land me at minus 1,4 inches per year…
Right, “her education” sure makes her wise about growing hair faster
:p

Igor
December 25th, 2010, 04:08 AM
When they proudly brag of their 225 $ digital ion ceramic flat iron, their salon bought shampoo and conditioner range (Containing organic truffle oil, exotic cocoa extract and genuine pearl protein with repairing Photozyme Complex Molecules &#169; ) and the Stimulating Enzyme Therapy &#169; heat protection spray with genuine bamboo flower seed keratine that “definitely conditions hair when you flat iron it!”

…And their hair still looks like crap because they shampoo twice, barely conditions once (Don’t want to weigh that hair down! “You should only condition the bottom half of your hair, you know!”) backcomb “for volume”, then flat iron to kill waves and finish it off with a blast of stylish spray enough to fumigate the entire house

Dragon
December 25th, 2010, 05:26 AM
When they think all shampoos and conditioners work the same.
When they don’t use conditioner.
When they love scissors.
When they are scared to wear there hair in it’s natural state because it’s not 100% straight
When they pile there hair on there head to wash and tail dry it ruff.
When they have never herd of oiling hair.

slythwolf
December 25th, 2010, 05:31 AM
When you mention that you hope you get out of work before the grocery store closes on Christmas Eve because you forgot to buy conditioner the last time you were there, and the person you're talking to replies that there is usually a little bit of conditioner left in the bottle and you can take the cap off and scoop it out. Then when you explain, while twiddling your tailbone-length braid, that you actually use about a quarter of a bottle of conditioner every time you wash, the person replies that you can mix the conditioner with water to stretch it.

0.o

anemix1005
December 25th, 2010, 03:38 PM
When they tell you "you have a lot of hair! you should cut off some volume!" (been told this A LOT of times) :rolleyes:

anemix1005
December 25th, 2010, 03:40 PM
When they proudly brag of their 225 $ digital ion ceramic flat iron, their salon bought shampoo and conditioner range (Containing organic truffle oil, exotic cocoa extract and genuine pearl protein with repairing Photozyme Complex Molecules © ) and the Stimulating Enzyme Therapy © heat protection spray with genuine bamboo flower seed keratine that “definitely conditions hair when you flat iron it!”

…And their hair still looks like crap because they shampoo twice, barely conditions once (Don’t want to weigh that hair down! “You should only condition the bottom half of your hair, you know!”) backcomb “for volume”, then flat iron to kill waves and finish it off with a blast of stylish spray enough to fumigate the entire house

hahahahahahhaha I loved this one :D
most of the girls in my city are just like that

prosperina
December 25th, 2010, 03:49 PM

Of course not everyone had the same childhood, but I'd certainly qualify high school as childhood. Or at least for me, they're all sort of lumped together in the kid years. :D And the fact that you taught yourself merely indicates my previous point: it's so not hard. Especially English braiding. I'm always amazed when people are impressed by a simple English braid.

Avvoltoio
December 25th, 2010, 04:00 PM
youtube and many other place is full with trolls, and people without knowledge, when i wached video about trim, i have seen too much time when the hairdresser cut too much ... and the comments like she should cut for her a bob, or buzzcut, i really hate this type of members

Rare to find real good tutorial for long hair for hair growers, what i found good videos later i got know it was from an LHC member

Lianna
December 26th, 2010, 03:55 AM
... and the comments like she should cut for her a bob, or buzzcut, i really hate this type of members

You HATE someone because they prefer a shorter hairstyle? Okay...

Avvoltoio
December 26th, 2010, 11:04 AM
You HATE someone because they prefer a shorter hairstyle? Okay...

i not care if someone prefer short hair or bald, but i hate when i see comments all over only about this when the video has not about cutting long hair to very short, or comments on a long haired people video who just present his/her hair, and they comment something like that.
I not go to comment on bald or shor haired people's video something like to grow their hair it would look better on them ...

Lianna
December 26th, 2010, 11:52 AM
i not care if someone prefer short hair or bald, but i hate when i see comments all over only about this when the video has not about cutting long hair to very short, or comments on a long haired people video who just present his/her hair, and they comment something like that.
I not go to comment on bald or shor haired people's video something like to grow their hair it would look better on them ...

It would be annoying if they're just "presenting" their hair, but if it's a haircut video, I don't see any problems with someone saying what style they like. About the last part of your comment, that I would think is pretty rude because it's like you're saying someone "needs" long hair to be beautiful.

Bonkers57
December 26th, 2010, 12:04 PM
You got that right, Katurday! :D

I didn't (not hair, anyway) - my hair was never long enough as a child.

I got this from a friend: "Do you french braid your hair yourself?" :lol: She is a friend so I'm not going to snap at her, but really? She knows I live alone, and she's not one prone to silly illogical statements either. I just think that a lot of people are amazed that anyone could something with her own hair other than brush it. I had a girl at work ask me if I did my own braid and this time it was a simple half up English braid. Really? You never learned to braid as a child?

Lianna
December 26th, 2010, 12:22 PM
A lot of the things said in this thread some members do, sometimes damages their hair, sometimes it doesn't. Then some people say to me there aren't any "LHC rules". They're still members because they joined the forum, just not following all the rules.

Unless they're not considered "true members" because they do something "bad" to their hair. *sigh*

Avvoltoio
December 26th, 2010, 12:24 PM
It would be annoying if they're just "presenting" their hair, but if it's a haircut video, I don't see any problems with someone saying what style they like. About the last part of your comment, that I would think is pretty rude because it's like you're saying someone "needs" long hair to be beautiful.

I writed "video about trim" on my first comment not haircut, or getting new style, for me trimming mean cut hair to keep it healthy, and get rid of the split ends without taking much length, not about get new style, and so i don't like the comments about to hack of long hair at any video.
And hating that type of comments not mean i hate short hair lovers
If i was rude, i sorry i don't wanted to hurt anybody

Lianna
December 26th, 2010, 12:35 PM
It's just that trim and haircut are similar things. It's not really "off-topic".

Avvoltoio
December 26th, 2010, 01:09 PM
It's just that trim and haircut are similar things. It's not really "off-topic".
i feel heavy difference.
And if it is haircut video so it would be not offtopic, why anybody comment like that "she should give her a buzcut", or "cut it short!"? i think it is also rude, and against the hairdresser or the longhaired client too

ChayahSaahene
December 28th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Hilarious....all of it....hilarious.

rosance
September 30th, 2012, 11:31 PM
LMAO! Before getting involved with the growing of healthy long hair, I used to look into tutorials on how to take care of long hair. I found this youtube video where I was amazed at how much hair the girl had and how long it was as well. Soon that amazement decreased as I saw her literally clawing her hair. I am not the one to exagerate, she really was. She said she had just washed her hair and was going to show us her routine after washing it. Her hair was still wet, cannot remember if it was damp, but for sure still wet. She bent forward bringing her hair towards the ground, got a leave in product on her hands and put it in her length by clawing her fingers through her hair, going downwards at the same time. I could not believe she had so much length and hair despite the fact that she was badly mistreating it. I decided to look into other tutorials and discovered that they were extensions. I cannot remember her saying anything about extensions on her hair routine.
I could tell she was not an LHC member because of the torture that hair went through.

piffyanne
October 1st, 2012, 01:15 AM
LMAO! Before getting involved with the growing of healthy long hair, I used to look into tutorials on how to take care of long hair. I found this youtube video where I was amazed at how much hair the girl had and how long it was as well. Soon that amazement decreased as I saw her literally clawing her hair. I am not the one to exagerate, she really was. She said she had just washed her hair and was going to show us her routine after washing it. Her hair was still wet, cannot remember if it was damp, but for sure still wet. She bent forward bringing her hair towards the ground, got a leave in product on her hands and put it in her length by clawing her fingers through her hair, going downwards at the same time. I could not believe she had so much length and hair despite the fact that she was badly mistreating it. I decided to look into other tutorials and discovered that they were extensions. I cannot remember her saying anything about extensions on her hair routine.
I could tell she was not an LHC member because of the torture that hair went through.
PRICELESS! :gabigrin:

ETA:

When they have the taletell full-frizz look that comes from boomsticking brushing what should be beautifully defined waves.
:oops: Mine's too long for my curls, the weight pulls them straight, so I get the Frustrated Frizz.

I've TRIED EVERYTHING, but I'm not going to get layers to release the curls, I rely too much on updos.

So you'll have to allow ONE person with hair like this ^ to be on LHC.

melusine963
October 1st, 2012, 03:10 AM
When they don't understand why you wear it up so often "because it looks so nice down!" Yeah, it looks so nice down because I keep it up so often.

This. I get so tired of explaining this to my significant other.

eros
October 1st, 2012, 03:38 AM
When they have the taletell full-frizz look that comes from boomsticking brushing what should be beautifully defined waves.
EXACTLY!! You made this post ages ago but I can still relate. :) I have a friend who does that. She literally rips the brush from the top of her till the ends. She uses a round brush, and shes not even using it right. Her hair looks terrible, but I don't want to say anything, because she likes her hair so much. Whatever works for her I guess.

RileyJane
November 20th, 2012, 06:46 PM
whennn they make fun of you for NOT heat styling/ coloring your hair, only to find a year later that my hair growth is substantially more than theirs :P

melusine963
November 20th, 2012, 07:15 PM
whennn they make fun of you for NOT heat styling/ coloring your hair, only to find a year later that my hair growth is substantially more than theirs :P

Heh, I'd have to try very hard to conceal my schadenfreude at their plight.

kidari
November 20th, 2012, 07:43 PM
when they call a bun tutorial "better than the sock bun tutorial" and it consists of teasing the entire ponytail before arranging it into a bun and then using tons of mega hold hairspray to keep your masterpiece in place

Alexblue
November 21st, 2012, 11:23 AM
too true Kidari.

When any updo in fact consists of curling tongs, backcombing and hairsray before the bobby pins make an appearance.

MissAlida
November 21st, 2012, 12:06 PM
When the girl sitting in front of you in class idly twists around a lock, gets her fingers entangled by it, and the rips through the tangle. I literally got goosebumps from the sound of snapping hair.shudder:

~honeyflower~
November 21st, 2012, 12:20 PM
When anything with words "adds volume, shiny, thickens, frizz-free" is a must-have product even if it has damaging ingredients.

millyaulait
November 21st, 2012, 01:55 PM
When the girl sitting in front of you in class idly twists around a lock, gets her fingers entangled by it, and the rips through the tangle. I literally got goosebumps from the sound of snapping hair.shudder:

Aaaaah! D:

Hwyfar
November 23rd, 2012, 07:42 AM
When they say "Your hair is on the edge of being creepily long" when your hair is a bit over BSL :D I had a debate of hair length with a friend yesterday.

melusine963
November 23rd, 2012, 10:10 AM
When they say "Your hair is on the edge of being creepily long" when your hair is a bit over BSL :D

:bigeyes: I've never heard anyone describe long hair as creepy before.

Hwyfar
November 23rd, 2012, 10:21 AM
It was surprising for me too :D She told me it's like too long nails - which I admit is creepy. But I don't see the connection at all :D She did admit though that she may have caught the discust from her boyfriend, who apparently has a very strong aversion for too long hair and nails.

shutterpillar
November 23rd, 2012, 11:08 AM
Someone is probably not a LHC member when they don't dream about hair sticks. :wink:

gillybeanxo3921
November 23rd, 2012, 02:39 PM
When they tell you that henna is *terribly* damaging to hair, and certainly far worse than chemical dyes.

Oh My God! I get that from my stupid friend all the time. It annoys me so much.

When as they're teasing their bleached waist length hair, clumps of crunchy hair are clogging up the comb and are flying all over the floor (actually saw this yesterday). The same girl, has bangs that will not grow. Well, that's what she says, but we can all infer that the ends just keep breaking off before the hairs can grow out.

Maybe someday I'll tell her that. I've noticed generally when I tell people what's wrong with their hair, they mostly just get annoyed.

white.chocolate
November 23rd, 2012, 02:56 PM
Someone is probably not a LHC member when they don't dream about hair sticks. :wink:

This reminds me of a couple of people who commented when I wore hairsticks, "You look Asian" or "Oh, are you copying Asians?" That was annoying.

Also, ... when that someone says French braids instead of Dutch braids.

CurlyCurves
November 23rd, 2012, 05:34 PM
When their hair has been fried and bleached into oblivion *puke*

AutumnLocks
November 23rd, 2012, 05:48 PM
I was just talking about this with my DH. I've decided that the next time someone tells me I "should donate all that long hair" to locks of love I'm going to say....I'm already going to be an organ doner when I die. They can have my long hair when I'm dead too!

You know someone isn't an LHC member ...when they complement your hair and ask what you use...you tell them nothing special, just shampoo and conditioner, and a vinegar rinse and ABSOLUTELY NO HEAT! They look at you like you just grew another head before their eyes and say....But I can't go without blowdrying, flatironing,bleaching and teasing my hair. It would look just awful! ::::eyeroll::::

Natalia
November 23rd, 2012, 05:53 PM
When they dont have to worry about where their hair is when zipping up jeans or tall boots lol

Perididdle
November 23rd, 2012, 08:48 PM
Why are you wearing a bun? you're like 16, not 78 :o

Ahh! I found a nice octopus clip and was using it when I didn't have time to deal with my hair/was stretching a wash too far. I gathered the hair at the nape of my neck, twisted, flipped it upward and had it clipped. My sorority sister -- who has long hair which looks quite nice, though she's a sun-in, straightener/blowdryer loving, mainstream sort ;) -- commented, "oh, loving the grown up hair!" It was teasing and pleasant, but it still made me laugh. Who knew?

piffyanne
November 24th, 2012, 02:02 AM
When s/he says your hair looks great, then when told that you only wash once/twice a week without shampoo, it's suddenly greasy, smelly, and gross. Because Exxon Valdez clearly visited my head since 5 seconds ago.

LOVE THIS ONE.

I don't mention it to many people, because I know what would come next.

CSallaround
November 24th, 2012, 02:03 AM
When telling a friend about a hairstyle or treatment I did and her response is "sounds like you were really bored"

Same friend saying "I don't care about doing that stuff. IT's only hair, it'll grow back"

DarkCurls
November 24th, 2012, 02:08 AM
When they ask you (because they know you're hair-obsessed) if a certain product will repair split ends and are surprised that the answer is always no.
When they brush their curly hair when it's wet with those plastic-tipped brushes and ask you why you cringe.
When they think you're weird and get bored when you drag them to the supermarket 30 minutes away... just because you've run out of conditioner and you can't survive without it. (They don't even use conditioner.)

Amygirl8
November 24th, 2012, 08:43 AM
When you're at a restaurant and the woman at the table next to you has a sock bun, and your mom is all "it's so elegant and pretty!!!"
And then asks if you could do it for her as well, even though her hair's not even chin length. :rolleyes:

When your friend says she'd rather have flat-ironed hair than non-straight spit-endy hair, and you're just like that's exactly what you have. :rolleyes: her hair has been fried to the oblivion lol.
When people are amazed that you do your hair yourself.
When people think you are the most gifted stylist ever (my friends commission me to do their hair).

Sharysa
November 24th, 2012, 11:33 AM
My sister saw me search-and-destroying once and remarked that it had taken me twenty minutes to do about a third of my hair.

She then told me that it was "inefficient" and showed me a much better way... that "only got rid of 35% of the split ends."

rtree721
November 24th, 2012, 12:08 PM
When they blow dry and straighten their normally spiral-curly hair everyday without heat protectant and don't think it will damage it.
When they say "I am trying to grow my hair out" but get their haircut every other month into a new layered short 'do.

AutumnLocks
November 24th, 2012, 03:52 PM
You know someone is probably not an LHC member......

when they see you wearing a hairstyle and ask:

"Did you do that yourself?"

I had this happen the other week and I was just wearing 2 long English braids (nothing too fancy)...

My response:

Uh,...yes...why, yes I did...

Note: Not sure why they asked me that (granted they weren't very fluent in English, but still...).....Perhaps I should feel flattered they thought I might have a personal hairdresser. :D ;)

I was a nursing assistant for 25 years. I worked in nursing homes most of that time and wore my hair in one single braid down my back. It was past TBL at the time. So many of those little old ladies would ask me...Honey do you do your own hair every day? When I would tell them yes they were just awed.

jacqueline101
November 24th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Ripping brushes through hair frizzy and hair spray galore.

AutumnLocks
November 24th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I've been trying to figure out why our cat goes wild over my wet hair. I don't even use oil on it. She will climb onto the back of my chair or the back of the sofa and start to rub her face on my damp hair. She also chews on my hair and she's even managed to bite my scalp...:shrug: I try never to fuss at her because she's actually a very affectionate little kitty.

DancingGirl
July 16th, 2013, 05:58 PM
When they threaten(either jokingly or sometimes seriously) to shear off your ponytail as you walk past them. I have had several people(both people I know and total strangers) say this to me. I'm not a violent person by nature, but if a hair comes off my head that's not due to my own shedding, that person is asking for a beat down.
Haha I just bust out laughing at the part about them asking for a beating.

10000days
July 16th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Touch my hair and meet Jesus! :guns::rip:

Hahaha! Best line ever! I am cataloguing this one for the future!

Leeloo
July 16th, 2013, 08:07 PM
When they gat a hair cut every couple of months and straighten their hair every day.

Syaoransbear
July 16th, 2013, 08:18 PM
When they buy $30 salon brand olive oil in a tiny 30 ml bottle that is almost entirely cones and chemicals instead of just buying real olive oil because real olive oil "doesn't say it's meant for hair".

FuzzyBlackWaves
July 17th, 2013, 08:46 AM
When they think it's totally plausible to both dye your hair and straighten it whilst growing it out long and healthy.
When they plead with you to use a hair drier.
When they insist that brushing wet hair is fine.

TheIronMaiden
July 17th, 2013, 10:11 AM
When someone asks you if you use hair extensions... Happened to me...

Bellechevelure
July 17th, 2013, 10:19 AM
I sleep a lot at my boyfriend house and the girlfriend of is brother too. And her hair habit afraid me! She do all the thing you said here.She wash it everyday (even if they are not greasy) with a sulfate/cone shampoo and do not use a conditioner. After her shower see brush her hair wet (she ripping the brush in her hair), then blow dry it and finally straighten it. Sometimes she go in the pool and restart all the processes. Oh and, she dye it in black...

Tini'sNewHair
July 19th, 2013, 07:51 AM
I love growing my hair long and healthy but i dont know much about how to do it in the best possible way and that is why i joined this group because i want to know more and learn as much as i can to protect and better care for my hair so I cant exactly give many comments on this topic since im still doing a few wrong things to my hair BUT i could still throw one or two which always bothered me personally:

**(havent been to the hairdresser in many years for this reason tho) when i'm hiding my tears at how upset i am because the hairdresser pretty much gave me a whole new haircut/dramatic length when i said to just TRIM the tips - everyone always comments with "hair grows back, whats the big deal?!" or "she didnt cut all that much" ahhhhhhhhh that always makes me want to cry more sadly
**When I’m trying to advice a friend who always complains how her hair never grows and its pretty obvious why!!! – because she damages it in the worst possible ways by using extre heat to curl, bleaches, never trims when it desperately needs to because her split ends have reached over a quarter of a way up her hair and it looks awful… so yeah… I try to be gentle with my advice but its like im not heard at all so from now I try to avoid having conversations about my hair with her because I cant stand to hear her complain about her when she refuses to do anything about it. ah well…
Sorry this is long

Vik
July 19th, 2013, 08:56 AM
When they don't understand why you are proud your hair is "virgin" and you are completely heat-/style-/chemically alter-resistant even though "it would spice you up [or whatever idiotic reason]" "and that air drying hair gives you a head cold"

jacqueline101
July 19th, 2013, 09:01 AM
You can tell when hair means nothing to them. It's treated badly ripping a comb or brush through it, chemicals, and heated tools. No tlc with care or oils no protective styles no hair friendly toys. They do any thing and everything to get by.

Tori Angeli
July 19th, 2013, 09:04 AM
When they're the register worker at the store who gives you a concerned look and lets you know that all three of these bottles you are buying are, in fact, conditioner.

LadyCelestina
July 19th, 2013, 09:33 AM
When they think that if their hair looks good after using heat ------) heat must be good for hair!

When they don't go through a "cones are bad" phase :D I'm sorry if there are lhcers who didn't experience cone hatred,but it's true for many.

PJolie
July 19th, 2013, 09:53 AM
I only wash once a week and some people around me here find it strange, but back to where I'm from (an island on the Caribbean) almost every girl wash just once a week. Sadly most of them use tons of chemical and perms to keep their hair straight.

Must admit tough I am guilty of some things said here :s

mary*rose
July 19th, 2013, 09:54 AM
When they ask if I braid my own hair. I get this so much! I don't understand it. Who else would braid my hair haha? The elves? (Though that would be lovely. Ah. Arwen...)

sarahthegemini
July 19th, 2013, 10:18 AM
A friend of mine dyes her hair SO often, everytime I see her, her hair is a slightly different shade of blonde - bare in mind, she's a natural blonde yet dyes it/bleaches it so it's platinum/white blonde, ugh. She actually recently decided to dye her hair a more natural blonde ... the next time I saw her, it was bleached again :-/

The-Young-Maid
July 19th, 2013, 01:25 PM
When they buy $30 salon brand olive oil in a tiny 30 ml bottle that is almost entirely cones and chemicals instead of just buying real olive oil because real olive oil "doesn't say it's meant for hair".

But you can't just use oil, its for cooking you know. LOL No, you need to buy an expensive HAIR product. *facepalm* Meanwhile I've had the same jar of 17 oz EVOO for ... three years(?) now and I'm just now below halfway.

The-Young-Maid
July 19th, 2013, 02:06 PM
When they're the register worker at the store who gives you a concerned look and lets you know that all three of these bottles you are buying are, in fact, conditioner.

LOL It's ok I bought three bottles of shampoo yesterday:wacko:

Tori Angeli
July 19th, 2013, 02:11 PM
LOL It's ok I bought three bottles of shampoo yesterday:wacko:

Clearly we were made to balance each other out.

The-Young-Maid
July 19th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Clearly we were made to balance each other out.

It's an LHC thing,:eyebrows: I also get looks when I buy two or more oils at a time from Sally's.:rolleyes:

Tori Angeli
July 19th, 2013, 02:44 PM
I have done this at GNC. They look like they've been hit by the Tasmanian Devil whirlwind.

Skade
July 19th, 2013, 04:36 PM
When they ask if I braid my own hair. I get this so much! I don't understand it. Who else would braid my hair haha? The elves? (Though that would be lovely. Ah. Arwen...)

I know a lot of LHC people think it is a strange question, I have seen other people say it too. But I don't think it is, because I am quite bad at braiding my hair so often when I have a nice braid it is one of my friends who have done it for me. So that is what I often answer when I get the question. Though elves would be even lovelier :)

Brileeka
July 19th, 2013, 04:41 PM
When they say you should wash your hair every day because you're nasty if you don't. Yes I've actually heard someone say that.

alexis917
July 19th, 2013, 06:05 PM
When I say I didn't wash my hair that day and they go, "WHY DIDN'T YOU SHOWER?!"

Carolyn
July 19th, 2013, 07:15 PM
When they ask if I braid my own hair. I get this so much! I don't understand it. Who else would braid my hair haha? The elves? (Though that would be lovely. Ah. Arwen...)I've gotten this question too several times. I'm always like "whaaat??? Why wouldn't I braid my own hair?" I don't really understand how you don't know how to braid :shrug:

The-Young-Maid
July 19th, 2013, 07:49 PM
When I say I didn't wash my hair that day and they go, "WHY DIDN'T YOU SHOWER?!"

When a shower *must* include washing hair... :rolleyes:

MaryRose
July 19th, 2013, 07:51 PM
When they use dish soap to wash their hair.

My mother in-law does this!!. I had no idea that other folks did this too.

alexis917
July 19th, 2013, 08:14 PM
When a shower *must* include washing hair... :rolleyes:

My grandmother always tells me I need to shower "for real this time" if she sees my hair is dry after a shower. I've outgrown the fake bath phase grandmom, that was a toddler thing...

dancingrain91
July 19th, 2013, 10:51 PM
When their tutorial is for "extra long hair" and it's not even bsl. I always thought it had to be waist at least before non lhc ers considered it long.

When they accidently burn off some of their hair.

When they explain the health benefits to your hair of daily blow drying and or straightening. (Apparently it's "rejuvenating")

I actually brush my hair and blow dry sometimes on cold, so I can't say much about that. I have a wooden paddle brush to be more hair safe but I just couldn't get my hair tangle free with a comb.

PraiseCheeses
July 19th, 2013, 10:54 PM
... when they ask you, "Why do you have a pen in your hair?"

It was a Timberstone Turnings stick.

Vik
July 20th, 2013, 07:19 AM

YES! I have heard that before. I think I could seriously injure myself with facepalms upon such rubbish!

Suze2012
July 20th, 2013, 11:06 AM
I haven't read all of this thread...must come back and read the rest...

When you are crouching down in the kitchen at work and someone says 'Ooh!! You smell all shampooey and lovely! I take it you have given up the no shampoo thing then?'
Me: Nope, that's my conditioner you can smell..

Must say I am outraged reading about the SO-HO traders in shopping malls grabbing and straightening chunks of people's hair (mentioned earlier in this thread).
I would be absolutely livid if someone did that to me!
I would be straight to the customer service of the shopping mall to complain.

Someone who worked at Vodafone grabbed my arm once as I walked past to get my attention,
He had tried the usual spiel and I had politely declined, he tried again, I politely declined, he stopped and blocked my path and stood with his arms and legs out wide to stop me getting past, I moved and he grabbed my upper arm.
His team mates had stopped and just stood watching by this point.
I complained. He got fired.
Seriously out of order and a great way to never get a customer or lose custom. Thirty or so people saw it happen too. Idiot!

mary*rose
July 20th, 2013, 11:09 AM

Haha yes. Oh, the hair industry. I haven't been using shampoo for a year and a half now and I'm still tempted by all those pretty ranks of promising bottles in Giant and CVS...

sarahthegemini
July 20th, 2013, 11:12 AM
When people cut their hair then stick in extensions .

mary*rose
July 20th, 2013, 11:15 AM
I know a lot of LHC people think it is a strange question, I have seen other people say it too. But I don't think it is, because I am quite bad at braiding my hair so often when I have a nice braid it is one of my friends who have done it for me. So that is what I often answer when I get the question. Though elves would be even lovelier :)

I guess I'm just so used to having it braided... My mom has braided my hair ever since I was little (yes, I was that little girl who always came to school in Dutch braids and pigtails...) and I've braided my own hair at least since I was ten. So I guess it's just a little subconsciously insulting when people ask that, as if my mom still does my hair. But I see where you're coming from.

sisi33
July 20th, 2013, 11:23 AM

Blasphemer! In what way, exactly does a TT stick look like a pen?! :disgust:

Vik
July 21st, 2013, 07:27 AM
...when you are growing out your hair, then right when it is at that can't-do-anything-with-it stage somebody tells you "Oh, it's time for a trim". shudder:

saluqifreak
July 21st, 2013, 07:37 AM
...when their "bun" consist of literally crumpelling up all their hair into their fist until it looks like a rat's nest and is tangled beyond belief, and tying an elastic around that. Which they will then later rip out. shudder:

The-Young-Maid
July 21st, 2013, 07:45 AM
...when their "bun" consist of literally crumpelling up all their hair into their fist until it looks like a rat's nest and is tangled beyond belief, and tying an elastic around that. Which they will then later rip out. shudder:

I tried this pre LHC and to this day I still can't figure out how they get their hair to stay... with one elastic too. I guess my hair has just always been too heavy for it.:rolleyes:

Skade
July 21st, 2013, 07:48 AM
When you are going out with your friends for the evening, and one of them says "Wait, I will just give my hair that finishing touch" and then take the a hair spray can and empties half of it in her hair.. :justy:

I couldn't resist screaming, "stop it, you are choking your hair!"

Vik
July 21st, 2013, 08:01 AM
Skade - or the variation: hairspray-tease-hairspray

PinkyCat
July 21st, 2013, 10:05 AM
When they go on and on
And on
About their new cosmic nuclear flat iron that makes their hair so healthy.

Skade
July 21st, 2013, 10:19 AM
Skade - or the variation: hairspray-tease-hairspray

shudder: Oh yes Vik, see it too often. It is like it is not enough to choke the hair, they need to stab it to, make sure it is dead.. :hatchet:

Vik
July 21st, 2013, 10:37 AM
:lol: @ Skade Better safe than sorry. What better excuse for the next cut and color than "no matter what I do, my ends are shot and the hair looks so dull. Must be genetic"

I cannot recall one week where I did not have to listen to somebody praise their latest and greatest torture iron or dryer, which is "totally safe for hair". Unlike letting it airdry, which cannot be good for hair or scalp. Uh-huh.

goldenlady
July 21st, 2013, 10:42 AM
Not sure if this ones been said..

When they laugh at your shower cap.

Happened when I went to Uni..my girl housemates were really confused by the plastic hat in the bathroom... :s

kelly20364
July 21st, 2013, 10:43 AM
"Your hair was so sassy when it was short"...which I then pulled out my hair stick and shook my hair like a goddess....and said, "Yeah there's nothing sassy about this":cool:

Sarahlabyrinth
July 21st, 2013, 02:14 PM
When they fall into hysterical laughter for a solid 5 minutes when they see you wearing a sleeping cap...

The-Young-Maid
July 21st, 2013, 02:39 PM
When they fall into hysterical laughter for a solid 5 minutes when they see you wearing a sleeping cap...

I'm glad my brothers haven't seen mine yet. Hopefully they never will.:silly:

Sarahlabyrinth
July 21st, 2013, 03:18 PM
I'm glad my brothers haven't seen mine yet. Hopefully they never will.:silly:

It was my sister who laughed at me and my brother in law told me it would scare all the men away. But my SO when he saw it for the first time just smiled, kissed me and said he thought it made me look cute and now he reminds me to put it on to protect my hair. But I admit I do think he is biased. In a nice way.

chen bao jun
July 21st, 2013, 06:28 PM
When they make a youtube video on doing a 'cinnabun' and it involves putting a rubber band thing around their hair and then bobby pinning the edges down around the rubber band so that their hair looks kind of like a bun. And you know that their hair is too short to make a real bun because of the way they backcombed, ripped through it and then applied two different kinds of hair gel and a lot of hair spray to it before they even began the so-called bun...

stachelbeere
July 22nd, 2013, 02:18 AM
when a youtuber curls the hair BEFORE french braiding it. I don't understand WHY. seriously, can anyone explain why this step was neccessary!?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evEkbXwHKQo&list=UUctjAAIUSW3DRS-5Phh_hgQ

Michiru
July 22nd, 2013, 03:13 AM
Hey in the Portland Metro area we have mid-mall stands called SO-HO and they come after you in the isles with flat irons and hair spray. The main SOHO employee caught me by the ponytail of all things and started applying fake hair (this is against health code for cosmetologists in this state.) I have a call to make.

They had this in MD too. I made the mistake of wearing my hair down around them and I had to speed walk past their stands.

rut.de.leu
July 22nd, 2013, 04:34 AM
when a youtuber curls the hair BEFORE french braiding it. I don't understand WHY. seriously, can anyone explain why this step was neccessary!?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evEkbXwHKQo&list=UUctjAAIUSW3DRS-5Phh_hgQ

I think because the curling gives the hair a fullness and makes it easier to section for the braid. I think it's a little silly, myself, but I think it does serve a bit of a purpose. I know I'd skip that step for my own hair, eep.

Kaelee
July 22nd, 2013, 07:58 AM
Hey in the Portland Metro area we have mid-mall stands called SO-HO and they come after you in the isles with flat irons and hair spray. The main SOHO employee caught me by the ponytail of all things and started applying fake hair (this is against health code for cosmetologists in this state.) I have a call to make.

UGH!!!

When you're at an event and you have an "eco friendly stylist" harassing you constantly to let him put chalk in your hair. I am going to the same event this year and I'm afraid I might run into that guy again. :rant:

gillybeanxo3921
July 22nd, 2013, 08:37 AM
when they talk about how they bleached their hair and it fell out, so now they're using blonde box dyes over and over again to get their hair cornsilk blonde. And they want to dye it back to brown and get extensions before the summer ends.

Yup, friend's cousin told me this!

FireFromWithin
July 22nd, 2013, 09:01 AM
You have to explain what a hair stick is by comparing it to a pencil in the way it holds up hair and then saying that its solely used for hair. Cue confused expressions. Was quite funny.

H.e.L
July 22nd, 2013, 11:52 AM
When explaining WO to your seemingly interested, granola friends nets you surprised looks.
When explaining to the same friends that you personally use WO (to great effect) causes abject horror.
:rolleyes:

piffyanne
July 25th, 2013, 01:54 AM
when your mother FORCES you to use shampoo when you go to an event she's been looking forward to. Apparently my happy hair was messing with her juju or something.

Pissed me off, since shampoo messes with my shower schedule for weeks to come

Neneka
July 25th, 2013, 02:28 AM
When they are worried of your mental health when they hear about your hair care routine. Happened to me a couple of times when I did WO. I learned not to tell people everything.

Cassidy
July 25th, 2013, 03:36 AM
When they BRUSH their hair while taking a shower because it's "easier" to get the tangles out :thud:
When they have never heard of the phrase "search and destroy"
When the words "heat protectant" and "protective hairstyles" mean absolutely nothing to them

hellucy
July 25th, 2013, 04:12 AM

I often get this from the kids at school, usually the littler ones.
Recently some of the 11 year old girls in my class had me put their hair up in a bun held with pencils so they're learning!

restless
July 25th, 2013, 11:32 AM
...when you tell them youre growing out your virgin hair colour and it´ll be a long journey because the last 10 inches are still dyed and they immediatly reply "You could just cut it off".

Just? :bigeyes: Theres no "just" about cutting it all off...

GRU
July 25th, 2013, 02:15 PM
When they BRUSH their hair while taking a shower because it's "easier" to get the tangles out :thud:

I do this, but only when my hair has conditioner in it....

NoRush
July 25th, 2013, 02:46 PM
When a dutch braid rolled into a but seems to them like a amazing feat and when long hair (shoulder length, I kid you not) is so difficult to manage and high maintenance :disgust: It kind of baffeld me, especially the last one, I've had hair of all lengths from ear to waist and it seems odd to me that 5 minutes with a blow dryer is considered high maintenance...

bubastis
July 28th, 2013, 08:09 AM
when they don't understand that you are still growing your hair because it is allready so INCREDIBLY long (happenned to me slightly past bsl)

when they are constantly on your case about getting layers/a fringe

when they complain about not being able to dye hair red because it fades so fast (hello henna)

when they say long hair is a hassle to get ready in the morning (I never got this one,short hair takes much more styling,long hair you can just throw up in a bun!)

when the whole process of washing/conditioning their hair only takes 5 minutes :)

Elecita
July 28th, 2013, 02:08 PM
When they box dye their hair every month and then complain about frizz, dryness and breakage.

When you can HEAR their hair breaking when they brush it, even though you're in another room and listening to music.

When you can't even tell when their hair is greasy or dirty, because it always looks horribly dry and fried to you.

Tori Angeli
July 29th, 2013, 02:59 PM
When their favorite conditioner changes formula and instead of flipping out, they may or may not notice a slightly different-looking bottle.

PraiseCheeses
July 29th, 2013, 10:42 PM
When they fall for Herbal Essences's proud healthy hair campaign hook, line and sinker upon reading "No Silicones!!!11" on the shampoo bottle and "No Sulfates!!!11" on the conditioner bottle. :doh:

When you overhear them in Sephora saying, "Wen? I'm curious about that... late-night TV and all, hahahaha! So... you like, don't wash your hair? You just condition it? That's... so weird!" (It was so, so hard to remain :lipssealed:!)

When the salesgirl in Sephora refers to your merely waist-length braid as "really long hair." She has no idea what really long hair is! :lol:

amanda_the_tall
August 2nd, 2013, 08:53 PM
When she says 'my hair is soooooo long this is the longest it's ever been!' and it's *barely* APL. And people agree with her that it's long! Then she gets frustrated that it's too thin (from constantly straightening and blow drying and bleaching).

BreeTheBoss
August 16th, 2013, 07:39 PM
When they curl their hair, and hairspray the hair in place....WHILE ITS STILL ON THE IRON!
When they are doing a morning routine and have wet hair and use a crap brush to brush it

alexis917
August 16th, 2013, 10:29 PM
When they curl their hair, and hairspray the hair in place....WHILE ITS STILL ON THE IRON!
When they are doing a morning routine and have wet hair and use a crap brush to brush it

I saw a curling tutorial once where the lady suggested you hairspray before, during, AND AFTER curling! I died a little.

melusine963
August 17th, 2013, 07:29 PM
When they use their braid as a dangly cat toy.

YamaMaya
August 17th, 2013, 07:41 PM
When they impulsively decide to radically change their hair for the worse through bleach, harsh dyes, and ridiculous hairstyles (like that half shaved cyndi lauper look that seems to be coming back). Even worse when they already had lovely hair.

HylianGirl
August 17th, 2013, 08:42 PM
When you see a hair tutorial that includes blowdrying each section of the hair straight with a round brush so that then you can put the hair into rollers and then blow dry it more to make the rollers act faster. What's the point of blowdrying it straight in the first place?

grungy haze
August 17th, 2013, 09:07 PM
When they load their hair with hairspray, flat iron it, tease it and flat iron it again.

When they look at you with disgust when your hair has coconut oil in it.

When they bleach their hair five times in a row and cry on youtube about it falling out.

CurlMonster
September 16th, 2013, 11:31 PM
When they get braidwaves by braiding their hair and then running a flat iron slowly over the braid. :run:

Becky9679
September 16th, 2013, 11:52 PM
When they get braidwaves by braiding their hair and then running a flat iron slowly over the braid. :run:

:bigeyes: I don't even have the words for this.

When they compliment you on your hair and ask for advice on their own....which they then refuse to take because it goes against everything they "know" about hair.

When they assume long hair must be so much more difficult to look after. Probably if I was to use heat styling and a lot of product it would be but I've never done either of those things, even before I was a member here :p

When they describe your hair as "damaged" because it's thinner at the ends, and don't seem to understand when you explain that if you go for long periods without trimming then natural shedding will also cause this to happen, but that the thickness will travel down your hair eventually.

When one person in particular keeps saying your hair is lovely but would look so much nicer if it was "all the same length" and are totally confused when you say you don't mind or prefer it the way it is!

MyKing'sQueen
September 17th, 2013, 02:35 AM
When they tell you that straightening your hair with a flat iron will actually make it healthy and you should definitely do it! Yep, happened to me in college. Granted, her hair was only shoulder length therefore didn't look bad.

Stray_mind
September 17th, 2013, 05:25 AM
When they put all chemicals there is on their hair.

When they think long hair is not pretty.

chen bao jun
September 17th, 2013, 08:03 AM
I'm digesting the thing about flat ironing a braid.
I thought I'd heard it all.

teddygirl
September 17th, 2013, 08:20 AM
When you see a hair tutorial that includes blowdrying each section of the hair straight with a round brush so that then you can put the hair into rollers and then blow dry it more to make the rollers act faster. What's the point of blowdrying it straight in the first place?

Blowdrying it that way will make it really smooth, so no frizz. Then when you curl it the curls are all really smooth, aand the same texture. I've done it before (well with a curling iron lol)

alimc
September 17th, 2013, 09:28 AM
when they have their head covered in short broken off hair as they have bleached it then died it pink one too many times.. Girl must have wondered why I looked so horrified. Poor hair.. (She seemed happy with it tho so hey-ho!)

leslissocool
September 17th, 2013, 10:09 AM
When they have and love Kate Gosselin's hairdo ( John & Kate + 8 ).

That updo should be outlawed :bigeyes:.

When someone lifts your braid and can't believe how heavy it is. Well, yeah it's coarse hair it's going to be really heavy!

Squiggy
September 17th, 2013, 10:43 AM
When they tell you that straightening your hair with a flat iron will actually make it healthy and you should definitely do it!

I had a stylist tell me that I should flat iron my hair because it will seal the cuticle and trap in moisture. Now, I may not have been a hair expert (still am not!) but something tells me that applying heat to, well, anything, does just about the opposite from trapping in moisture.