PDA

View Full Version : Dumbass is my middle name!

MAO
July 2nd, 2009, 06:26 PM
And spontaneity is my downfall! Ok, so last Wednesday, feeling a little bored with my hair, I went across the street to the salon to have a little bit of layering done to my hair.

A couple of MONTHS ago, I got tired of looking at the layers that were growing out (I had too many) and my hair was FINALLY just coming past my shoulders so I had it all cut off to shortest layer. I wasn't really thrilled with the result but I actually got a couple of compliments on it, so I lived with it for these past couple months.

Welllll, my hair is wurly, mostly wavy. The blunt cut just looked awful and my curls/waves were practically nonexistent (6 layers of henna didn't really help either!)
The lady did a really nice job, did exactly what I asked of her and the result was really nice and the ends of my hair formed into curls nicely. Later that night I got the urge to call up my regular hair lady (colorist) and ask her if she had any experience removing henna. She said she did, and I made a Friday morning appointment to go back to blonde.

The color isn't really the point of the story.....she said she wanted to "help bring my curls out" and proceeded to chop in more layers and thinned the ends of my hair within an inch of their life!!!!! EEEEEEKKKKK I hate it!!!! When she was done with my hair it looked like a bad perm after she put a ton of mousse and hairspray trying to scrunch my hair. The shortest layer is maybe 5 inches and my hair just hangs like a bunch of noodles. That is exactly what my hair reminds me of. Limp noodles that aren't really curling. She thinned the ends so much that they just kinda stick out.

Now I was expecting the damage from the stripping, I'm not that naive, and I knew it wasn't gonna come out a perfect blonde. So between the color damage and her bad haircutting, it just looks awful. What I want to know is your guys opinion. I have another appointment with her at the end of the month to finish my hair color. Should I ask her to fix my haircut? She didnt charge me for it (but I didn't ask for it, either!) This is the first time she has screwed up my hair like this and I've been going to her for a while (for color). Or should I just go back to the first lady and ask her to fix it for me (and pay again?!) It is so short I can't even put it up to hide it!! :boohoo:

Sorry for the long post :(

Longlocks3
July 2nd, 2009, 06:31 PM
Hm, I'm not anywhere near a stylist but wouldn't going to get it 'fixed' just result in more chopping? I mean, realistically, anyone would fixed it would cut more off, and it won't look like the previous cut.

But really, if you hate it and can't/dont want to put it up all the time, go have it redone.

ooh, I see now you said you can't put it up to hide. I'm sorry you're not happy with it!

Dementia1013
July 2nd, 2009, 06:31 PM
And spontaneity is my downfall! Ok, so last Wednesday, feeling a little bored with my hair, I went across the street to the salon to have a little bit of layering done to my hair.

A couple of MONTHS ago, I got tired of looking at the layers that were growing out (I had too many) and my hair was FINALLY just coming past my shoulders so I had it all cut off to shortest layer. I wasn't really thrilled with the result but I actually got a couple of compliments on it, so I lived with it for these past couple months.

Welllll, my hair is wurly, mostly wavy. The blunt cut just looked awful and my curls/waves were practically nonexistent (6 layers of henna didn't really help either!)
The lady did a really nice job, did exactly what I asked of her and the result was really nice and the ends of my hair formed into curls nicely. Later that night I got the urge to call up my regular hair lady (colorist) and ask her if she had any experience removing henna. She said she did, and I made a Friday morning appointment to go back to blonde.

The color isn't really the point of the story.....she said she wanted to "help bring my curls out" and proceeded to chop in more layers and thinned the ends of my hair within an inch of their life!!!!! EEEEEEKKKKK I hate it!!!! When she was done with my hair it looked like a bad perm after she put a ton of mousse and hairspray trying to scrunch my hair. The shortest layer is maybe 5 inches and my hair just hangs like a bunch of noodles. That is exactly what my hair reminds me of. Limp noodles that aren't really curling. She thinned the ends so much that they just kinda stick out.

Now I was expecting the damage from the stripping, I'm not that naive, and I knew it wasn't gonna come out a perfect blonde. So between the color damage and her bad haircutting, it just looks awful. What I want to know is your guys opinion. I have another appointment with her at the end of the month to finish my hair color. Should I ask her to fix my haircut? She didnt charge me for it (but I didn't ask for it, either!) This is the first time she has screwed up my hair like this and I've been going to her for a while (for color). Or should I just go back to the first lady and ask her to fix it for me (and pay again?!) It is so short I can't even put it up to hide it!! :boohoo:

Sorry for the long post :(

Oh sweetie! I'm so sorry to hear that. you can't pull it up at all while it grows back? Maybe a headband would work? Do you have pics of before and after?

MAO
July 2nd, 2009, 06:57 PM
At this point, I don't care about the length.....I just want my hair to look nice and my curls to form properly!!

JamieLeigh
July 2nd, 2009, 07:11 PM
I have to say I agree with the advice to go get it straightened out with the person who did a good job on it the first time. It's true, that *straightening it out* just means more cutting, but if like you say, you can't put it up anyway and you're unhappy with it......well, it's your head and you're the one who has to walk around with it. So you need to be happy with what you've got. And if you're not happy, then you need to fix it.

I'm really sorry that you've had a bad experience, and wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide. :grouphug:

Charlotte
July 2nd, 2009, 07:28 PM
Not sure what to say... I honestly feel your pain. :doh: I have fine almost straight hair and a hairdresser once told me that layers would give my hair more body and movement... he was SO WRONG... my hair ended up looking as though it had been chewed by a rat and it was completely see through from my ears down to below shoulder. The only thing I could do was have it chopped off to above shoulder and vow NEVER to get layers EVER again. Perhaps your original hairdresser can improve it with just a little trim? I guess all you can do is chalk it down to experience and remember it will grow back. :blossom:

MAO
July 2nd, 2009, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I just don't get it......my hair is not the least bit thick, but for some reason they always have an overwhelming urge to thin my ends out!!!! I think I will go back to the original lady in the morning. SIGHHH I hope she can make it look nice again! I will try to remember to take pictures and post tonight when I get home......

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 2nd, 2009, 07:51 PM
:grouphug: I am so sorry that you had this problem! First thing I would do is take extra care to moisturize & add protein back to your hair from the bleach.. I don't think I would go back to her for anything if she did all that cutting when you didn't even want it. You could try doing some pincurls or using sponge rollers to help your curls. If you do go back I would explain to her what you didnt like about her 'cut' and what your goal for your hair is. If your stylist has an idea for what your color and length and style goals are they will likely give you a much better cut/color/style next time. :flower:

Longlocks3
July 2nd, 2009, 08:17 PM
I once heard that one stylist are really great at cuts and some are really great at color. I guess it's hard to find someone who can do both equally great. I do agree, go back to the first woman who did a good job. Hey, you can still get your color from the second stylist, just refuse to allow her to take scissors to you!

Also, I didn't mean to sound so mean in my first post. I really am sorry this happened to you. Hair can be a very emotional thing and I remember how it feels to be upset about a bad cut.

MAO
July 2nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
Its okay Longlocks3.....no worries. :flowers: Thank you

misstwist
July 2nd, 2009, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I just don't get it......my hair is not the least bit thick, but for some reason they always have an overwhelming urge to thin my ends out!!!!

It's not you. The current fashion is to thin the daylights out of the ends. Otherwise your hair will just lay there and won't have any movement.

Or at least that's the line I was fed the very last time I let someone else with scissors near me more than three years ago.

psvzum
July 2nd, 2009, 10:15 PM
You poor thing : ( If I were you, I'd go to the stylist who cuts it the way you like.

Charlotte
July 2nd, 2009, 10:31 PM
I second what Cherry Sprinkle said - lots and lots of moisture and protein to help with the colour damage. Hopefully when you see your hairdresser again she will be able to help improve the situation without taking off too much more hair - sometimes even a very moderate dusting will make fine ends look thicker. :flower:

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 2nd, 2009, 10:36 PM
It's not you. The current fashion is to thin the daylights out of the ends. Otherwise your hair will just lay there and won't have any movement.

Or at least that's the line I was fed the very last time I let someone else with scissors near me more than three years ago.

I am growing out this very same cut.. *sigh* she proceeded to tell me my hair was super fine and super thin and coming to LHC I realized that just is not so but now my ends look SUPER thin!

MAO
July 3rd, 2009, 01:32 AM
Well I took a buttload of pictures and am currently having technical difficulty. My resident computer genius is currently sleeping and I won't be seeing him again until tomorrow evening where he will then grunt and mumble and growl at any suggestions of him helping me with anything. I don't even remember how I managed to do my other album. Any questions regarding my technical ability should refer to name in title of this thread. I DID however manage to upload two pictures. I don't know why it doesn't like my other pictures also? Any tips and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Calista
July 3rd, 2009, 03:03 AM
I can see the album just fine. If you would like to insert a pic right here do this:

[ img]http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3407&pictureid=43363[/img], and take out the blank after the first bracket.

I actually like your hair a lot in that picture. Honestly, if it was my hair I´d leave it alone, maybe wear a headband.

ETA: I also like the colour.

hennared
July 3rd, 2009, 07:50 AM
I saw the pictures in the album.

If two haircuts didn't end up with a result you love, I'm not sure I'd recommend going for yet another! I also agree with others; it doesn't look 'bad' to me, though it isn't what you wanted. But if you leave it allone, it will grow out. Getting another cut/straighten may not give you the result you want, either, and you'll have spent more money and maybe caused more damage (straightening?) to you hair... my opinion.

Bunnyhare
July 3rd, 2009, 08:22 AM
I would also say just try to let it grow for a little while, maybe use some clippies to make it cute and then have it fixed once it gets a little length back..but if you really hate it then i guess have the first lady see what she can do to shape it..i hate it when they just start something and go into a cutting frenzy! I am so sorry..HUG!!

misstwist
July 3rd, 2009, 09:00 AM
Well I took a buttload of pictures and am currently having technical difficulty. My resident computer genius is currently sleeping and I won't be seeing him again until tomorrow evening where he will then grunt and mumble and growl at any suggestions of him helping me with anything. I don't even remember how I managed to do my other album. Any questions regarding my technical ability should refer to name in title of this thread. I DID however manage to upload two pictures. I don't know why it doesn't like my other pictures also? Any tips and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Oh, sweetie, you look so sad. Hair disappointments are hard because we see them every darn time we look in the mirror.

I also like the color on you but I do agree that the ends look a little, shall we say, carved. One side looks better than the other, though.

What about some cute little barrettes and clippies to pull the front pieces back? Pin curls are awfully cute at that length.

I would leave it alone for a little bit, a month or two if you can bear it, then go back to the first gal who cut it well and ask her to do a trim to even it up.

:flowers: & :chocolate: for you!

lora410
July 3rd, 2009, 09:16 AM
Yup, they would probably have to cut to fix it. You may just want to wait until it grows out but then again maybe on last chop and fix and you won't have to deal with it again. I would goto the stylist you trust more.

patissegrietje
July 3rd, 2009, 09:16 AM
:flowers: so sorry to read your post; i don't think your hair looks that bad; i also think you should wait a bit before you get another haircut, it will only end up very short.
Maybe you can baby the ends and play around with clips and headbands like others already suggested?

Kiraela
July 3rd, 2009, 09:56 AM
I'm sorry your regular stylist decided to get scissorhappy when you went in for henna removal :(! I would suggest going to the other one - the one who did the cut you liked - to get it corrected.

longhairedfairy
July 3rd, 2009, 10:03 AM
Personally, I would hold it back with a pretty headband rather than do more cutting. :grouphug:

MAO
July 3rd, 2009, 11:14 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions :flowers: Yes, those two pictures don't look half bad, but you haven't seen the other ones where I give a good look at the top layer and how oddball it is. Ok people I got a couple more pictures into my album. I will add the others later, I am going to go get my fixed right now!

Oh yeah, and I hate to say it, but headbands just don't look good on me. I have tried so many times and styles!

lazykerri
July 10th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I'm sorry this happened to you! Stories like that are one reason I haven't had a haircut in about 5 years (I cut it myself.) Now I'm contemplating getting one, but it's a bit scary.

Did you get it "fixed"? Thinning is almost always a no-no for curly hair (even wavy). (Never say never!) It sounds like everyone has some good techniques for letting it grow out. I've heard it said before that you should go back to the stylist if you don't like it, but I think that's a recipe for disaster. I would go to the first one, the one who did it right, and ask if they can fix it a bit so you can live with it.

Maybe he or she will feel sorry for you and give you a break on the price! Especially if it's just a snip here and there. You could also ask that stylist for advice of how to wear it while it grows out. As some others said, you could wait a bit before getting any more cutting. Your stylist may recommend that anyway.

I'm new here--apparently that means I can't see people's albums? or am I looking in the wrong place? I really wish I could see the photos. :Star: I feel like I' m missing out :)

:kitten:

Brat
July 11th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I peeked in your album to see, and I have to say I like it. I wish I could get my hair to have the "stringy" look. I don't have any talent doing my hair, and I'd like my whole length to look like that. Also, I think the color brings out your eyes. Maybe get some cute clips or barrettes to hold it out of your way?

Sorry that happened to you, I'm scared to do anything with mine because of just that feeling.