PDA

View Full Version : Are headbands too "kiddie" looking on 40+ with graying hair?

curls2grow
July 2nd, 2009, 05:43 PM
[I'm cross-posting this from another forum. Sorry if this is duplicate reading for you.]

I have recently dug out my plastic headbands that I wore daily for almost a year while I was growing my hair past shorter stages. They are decent quality and comfortable. I loved them then. I was dying my hair brown then. They are all either brown or black so they blend great with my hair, in various designs of headband but no flowers, butterflies, frogs, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just prefer simple.

So fast forward about 5-6 years and I am growing my gray in. I am very salt & pepper, just past shoulder length, with a few more wrinkles. I still love my headbands and want to wear them! They keep my hair out of my face (therefore, my hands are out of my hair!), I can wear my hair down and my curls look great when I wear one (thanks, KCCC!)

But I can't help thinking that there's a contrast between my graying hair, aging face and the young-ish look of headbands.

Please share your opinions with me. Even if you are firmly anti-headband. :D

Blue Willow
July 2nd, 2009, 05:49 PM
I don't think headbands belong to any age group, so if they look good wear the heck out of them and enjoy!

eternallyverdan
July 2nd, 2009, 05:52 PM
I'd say wear the headbands, if they're comfortable and they make your hair look good. However, if you want to go with something a little more fashion-forward, and maybe more "age-appropriate" (whatever that means), you could try using pretty silk scarves to tie your hair back, which I always think looks very nice.

But hey, it's your head. Don't spend too much time worrying about how it looks to other people.

Pierre
July 2nd, 2009, 06:05 PM
I see nothing wrong with wearing headbands in your 40s (or any other age). I was wearing headbands in 2005, and I still have them, though my current method of keeping hair out of my eyes is a pair of Flexis, or sometimes a pair of Mini Maxes.

ReddishRocks
July 2nd, 2009, 06:06 PM
My mom and I were just messing with headbands, and I gotta say that the thin ones looked a little young for her (she's almost 15 years older than you too, btw), but the thicker ones looked really great - very polished.

Then again, I could be wrong about the thin ones!:

http://hairbrained.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/wavy-hair-with-band-from-more-com.png

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/76349700.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=06DC19A192BAC83B3A31FAFC3195BB40E30A760B0D811297

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/84596659.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=03579CE45BE4A6AA21D5B7447535087EE30A760B0D811297

I firmly believe you should do what makes you happy!

ETA - I know you're concerned about your graying hair, and I guess what I'm saying is that you shouldn't be... even though these women all have dyed hair. ;) Maybe go for a bolder color that doesn't look so much like it's trying to blend?

wintersun99
July 2nd, 2009, 06:07 PM

rags
July 2nd, 2009, 06:08 PM
Well, as another salt and pepper, I love my headbands! I think they are for all ages. I have a plain black leather one that gets the most wear. Now for me personally, I won't wear the too frilly ones (and by that I mean the butterflies, frogs, etc.) as I do think they look more for younger people. But plain simple headbands - all ages!

Have a look at Wendyg's beautiful Ficcare ones in her gorgeous silver hair in the Ficcare color thread! (or maybe it's the spring sale Ficcare thread? one of those two!)

rogue_psyche
July 2nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
Headbands are great at any age. Your instinct to keep it simple will ensure that you don't pick a little girls' headband. Headbands are too versatile a styling tool to put down after age 12.

Flynn
July 2nd, 2009, 06:21 PM
Maybe those fat, wide, brightly coloured, shiny, padded satin Alice bands are a little "kiddy", but I only say that because I think they look kind of weird on any head over the age of about four. Otherwise, headbands are for anyone and everyone, regardless of age or gender.

Shermie Girl
July 2nd, 2009, 06:22 PM
I am your age, from my sig pic you can tell I am more than just a little grey and have a few lines beginning to crease my formerly oh, so, smooth face. And I love headbands. I don't see them as "kiddie" at all. Granted, I tend to avoid the ones that are bright pink and purple and covered in fur and sparkles. Not that there is anything wrong with bright pink and purple and covered in fur and sparkles... Just not my thing, personally. ;)

GlassEyes
July 2nd, 2009, 06:38 PM
Nope. Not at all.

Life is too short to worry about it. At least with something as tiny as a headband. If I didn't loathe the way they feel on my head, even I would wear them. Keeping my hair out of my face is worth any looks I may receive. xD

cuddledumplin
July 2nd, 2009, 06:46 PM
I think as long as you pick appropriate ones (i.e. not hot pink and glittery) that they work for all ages. I don't plan on ever giving up mine.

paper
July 2nd, 2009, 06:55 PM
I'm older then you, and I wear headbands. Whenever I wear my hair down, I wear a headband. I mostly wear my thin black one, it blends right in with my hair.

JamieLeigh
July 2nd, 2009, 06:56 PM
I agree with Blue Willow's reply whole-heartedly! Headbands don't have an age! :)

Pilgrim
July 2nd, 2009, 07:21 PM
I hope not, because I'm 50+ with graying hair and wear them frequently! I say go for it!

Bene
July 2nd, 2009, 07:25 PM
it really depends on the headband. plastic barbie pink with little plastic hearts and flowers all over it, that's too kiddie for anyone over the age of 10. i do believe there are age appropriate things, such as bright plastic barrettes that people will put on young children.

under the general terms of "headband" and "barrette", there are things that are appropriate for adults and not for children. and there are things that are appropriate for children to wear, but adults really shouldn't wear in, let's say, a corporate setting.

banglaminerva
July 2nd, 2009, 08:51 PM
You all are angels! I'm looking at headbands all the time but stop from buying because of my perceived age thing. Now to go shopping ;)

thanks!

CurlyGirlCa
July 2nd, 2009, 09:22 PM
I'm older than you and I love the thin plastic designs they have at Nordstroms. I usually wear them on second day hair when I don't want to do to much to my hair.

Now that my forehead is a little more wrinkly, I just don't make the pull-back too tight - I make it looser and kind of make my waves/curls wrap around.

lynnala
July 2nd, 2009, 10:08 PM
Heck, I hope not, because I wear them all the time! I favor the cloth covered ones that look like I'm wearing a scarf.

psvzum
July 2nd, 2009, 10:12 PM
Go for it! If YOU feel good wearing them, that's all that matters. Btw, I'm 50 and wear them once in a while : )

Blueglass
July 2nd, 2009, 10:34 PM
I think silver or light brown, plain headbands would go well with your color. I think magenta would look good too, as long as it is not childish and co-ordinates with your clothes.

redcelticcurls
July 2nd, 2009, 10:34 PM
I'm 39, and I wear them fairly often. I can't stand the plastic ones since I have a big head, but I love cloth ones.

I think they're a handy and pretty way to keep your hair out of your face while earing it down. Mine has a tendency to fall forward.

jahof45
July 2nd, 2009, 10:38 PM
I love my headbands and wouldn't give them up due to my age. My headbands are like all my accessories, they reflect my taste. I pick what I like and wear what I like and do whatever turns my crank.

curls2grow
July 3rd, 2009, 08:42 AM
I love all of these posts!

I agree that plastic headbands do interfere with sunglasses somewhat; I dislike having to stretch the arms of my glasses around the ends of the headband. Putting the glasses under the headband ends jacks with the placement and messes my hair up too much.

I seriously may have to invest in 1-2 nicer Ficcare ones during next sale. Just concerned that they won't work for me (shape and length-wise). I would have to see if they are returnable before I order. I also noticed that France Luxe has nice ones, but they are pricey too!

When I bought all the headbands I have (10-15) I went to Claire's, tried them on, etc. took about an hour. They are all keepers though. They don't look too "cheap" even though they were.

Xandergrammy
July 3rd, 2009, 09:21 AM
They are a must-have for me on wash day to keep my drying hair out of my face. I don't think they have an age limit.

Fiferstone
July 3rd, 2009, 09:22 AM
I think they are timeless and elegant, I just wish I could find some that didn't squeeze my head uncomfortably or simply slide off my hair :lol:

marzipanthecat
July 3rd, 2009, 09:35 AM
If you like them, wear them!

A lot of what people wear - and if they carry it off well - is to do with attitude.

OK, I am rather biased too - I like cutesy headbands - although I have problems wearing headbands myself, they seem to ping off (I think I must have a weird-shaped pointy head under all this hair...)

Atlantic
July 3rd, 2009, 10:00 AM
Only classy women wear them past 40. :)

Kiraela
July 3rd, 2009, 10:23 AM
I love the look of headbands on pretty much anyone, of any age! Well, except me, because my head refuses to cooperate.

Sjirsten
July 3rd, 2009, 10:25 AM
I think headbands look nice on people of different ages. When you are 8 it looks cute, when you are 80, it looks classy and elegant. The trick is to tone down the crazy patterns as you get older.
I am sure that you look great with your headbands:)

rchorr
July 3rd, 2009, 11:35 AM
Only if they have "Hello Kitty" on them! hee, hee

I still wear my headbands and I'm 46. I think you'll look great with them!

RCHORR'

Cassi
July 3rd, 2009, 05:32 PM
I think as long as you pick appropriate ones (i.e. not hot pink and glittery) that they work for all ages. I don't plan on ever giving up mine.

I would definitely wear pink and glitter if I felt like it LOL. I have pink & green glitter hair sticks.... does that count? I am more worried about it coordinating with my outfit than I am about it being age appropriate. I think you should keep wearing them if you like them.

Xandergrammy
July 3rd, 2009, 05:35 PM
I would definitely wear pink and glitter if I felt like it LOL. I have pink & green glitter hair sticks.... does that count? I am more worried about it coordinating with my outfit than I am about it being age appropriate. I think you should keep wearing them if you like them.

I was thinking the same thing, Cassi! :gabigrin:

curls2grow
July 3rd, 2009, 05:43 PM
Only classy women wear them past 40. :)I do so like your opinion, or is just plain fact? :D

Pierre
July 3rd, 2009, 07:21 PM
I got one of my headbands out (7 mm wide, 2 mm thick, from a France Luxe group order years ago) which I had hardly ever worn because it's not strong enough to stay on my head. I put it on under my Flexis and it worked well. I may try a style in which I put the headband on first, then put the Flexis on the headband to hold it.

gmdiaz
July 3rd, 2009, 09:41 PM
I think both the tortoise and the silver Ficcare's look awesome in graying hair.

Those are the two colors I am wearing in my graying hair and I do just love them.

Any simple style should look age appropriate for work or home at any age.

dragonfrog
July 3rd, 2009, 10:04 PM
I don't personally wear headbands (I prefer the look of my front hairline/face without one) but I wanted to chime in and say I think headbands + curly hair = awesome, no matter what your age!

curls2grow
July 4th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I think both the tortoise and the silver Ficcare's look awesome in graying hair.

Those are the two colors I am wearing in my graying hair and I do just love them.

Any simple style should look age appropriate for work or home at any age.Just wondering if you've posted pics of these anywhere? I'd love to see them in action on you!

Fairlight63
July 4th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I still wear a headband & I am 64. Love them to keep the short hairs around my face out of my face. Sometimes my bangs just bug me so I will put on the headband.

MomoKoNoHanna
July 4th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I believe headbands have no age limit. So long as you like them then who cares? I love headbands especially ones with pretty patterns. In my sig I am wearing my favourite headband hehe ... tiger headband! I used to have cat ears to but they broke :( So long as you like them it shouldn't matter. I'm nearly 24 and I prance around with cat-ears and I love them!!!

gmdiaz
July 4th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Just wondering if you've posted pics of these anywhere? I'd love to see them in action on you!

I'll take photos for you next wash day, probably tomorrow. :)

chotee
July 5th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Thanks for this thread. I have always stopped myself from buying this beautiful leather headband thinking maybe it suits my daughter who is 17. maybe i should try now for myself....btw, my mom-in-law used to wear thin ones with a bun on the nape and it did look pretty neat on her.....

wendyg
July 5th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Threads like this annoy me: who sets these silly rules?

So this morning I took direct action. Appeared on the BBC's The Big Questions with my (definitely grey) hair loose, wearing a double-arche gold Ficcare headband. Take that, bigots!

(Also on the program was another American with BSL blond hair; a bigwig in the General Synod. After the program we talked, and I mentioned the long hair. "You have to do it, don't you?" she said.)

wg

KarpatiiSiv
July 5th, 2009, 07:58 AM

So this morning I took direct action. Appeared on the BBC's The Big Questions with my (definitely grey) hair loose, wearing a double-arche gold Ficcare headband. Take that, bigots!

(Also on the program was another American with BSL blond hair; a bigwig in the General Synod. After the program we talked, and I mentioned the long hair. "You have to do it, don't you?" she said.)

wg

I noticed this lady on The Big Question with lovely long grey hair and I now know that it was you. Your hair looked great.

Totally agree with you and well done.

I have about 15 hairbands and wear them regularly when my hair is down to keep it out of my face and will keep wearing them for as long as I want!

wendyg
July 5th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Thanks. Thought someone here just might have seen it... (Of course, it would have been more fun to be the subject of an "I saw one in the wild!" thread. But still.)

wg

gmdiaz
July 5th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I'll take photos for you next wash day, probably tomorrow. :)

Here you go, Curls2grow

Ficcare Headband: Tortoise

http://www.splynda.com/Yellowrose/Jaspy_Boomer/070509_Ficcare_Tortoise.jpg

Ficcare Headband: Silver

http://splynda.com/Yellowrose/Jaspy_Boomer/070509_Ficcare_Silver.jpg

RoseRedDead
July 5th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Gmdiaz, you look lovely wearing those headbands. They're very sophisticated, and completely age-appropriate.

Women (and men) of any age can rock a headband... just not the hello kitty ones... <twitch.> (If they want to wear them, they can. I won't stop them. I'll just shake my head in disbelief.)

lyria
July 5th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I think headbands look great and as long as they are comfortable they are a great style solution. I don't think there is an age limit! IMHO one which featured Dora the Explorer or something, might look a bit young...but that would be true on anyone over the age of 7! Otherwise I would say any color or pattern or just plain metal is lovely and can be elegant.

danacc
July 5th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Here you go, Curls2grow

Ficcare Headband: Tortoise
<pic>

Ficcare Headband: Silver
<pic>

Your hair is beautiful in those headbands!

I also like that color blue on you, and the sparkles on the shirt and necklace really bring out the stunning silver in your hair as well. I especially like the crispness of the silver band. :thud:

curls2grow
July 5th, 2009, 08:05 PM
gmdiaz, thank you so much for posting those great pics! You make those headbands look beautiful!!

Just curious, do they fit the same or do you feel more partial to one than the other?

AprilElf
July 5th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I think headbands are great for any age!

My mother wears them a lot and they look really good on her. She has curly (3b?), just past nape-length hair, which is almost all grey now. I'm thinking of one headband in particular that I think looks really pretty on her - it's a plastic one, about a half to three quarters of an inch wide, and is a dark purple or navy blue. Looks great with her hair colour. :)

intothemist1999
July 5th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I'm 39, and I wear them fairly often. I can't stand the plastic ones since I have a big head, but I love cloth ones.

Thanks for asking this! I've had headbands on the brain lately. Haven't worn them in around 15 years.

Speaking of big heads, I"m going to ask about that in another thread :D

Adrienne
July 5th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I always Gravitate towards bright colors, glitter, patterns........ My Friend has one with Hello Kitty on it. Just turned 24. actually got it when her boyfriend took her shopping for her 24th bithday. She Picked out a Hello Kitty Head Band. (and a bunch of other stuff)

Now That (Hello Kitty) Is not excatly my style. the plastic, Rubber, Clearish looking see through, purple one, ( hows that for a description? lol) That I wore today. Just Perfect. I am 25 years and Almost 72 hours old. lol.

Spike
July 5th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Now for me personally, I won't wear the too frilly ones (and by that I mean the butterflies, frogs, etc.) as I do think they look more for younger people. But plain simple headbands - all ages!

Ditto, ditto--fancy rhinestone glittery fairy headbands are either young or whimsical, headband with huge goofy flowers are young, but a simple headband looks fine with grey hair.

Or dyed hair. Wearer's choice.

gmdiaz
July 6th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Your hair is beautiful in those headbands!

I also like that color blue on you, and the sparkles on the shirt and necklace really bring out the stunning silver in your hair as well. I especially like the crispness of the silver band. :thud:

Aah, thank you so much. What a nice thing to say. :o

gmdiaz
July 6th, 2009, 05:21 AM
gmdiaz, thank you so much for posting those great pics! You make those headbands look beautiful!!

Just curious, do they fit the same or do you feel more partial to one than the other?

You're so welcome!

Thank you! :D

I can't say I like one better than the other. . .they're both wonderful to wear. They've got a nice weighty feel to them.

The silver one is heavier and is taller. One of the bands actually sticks up higher than the others.

The tortoise band is wide and flat. It has two little combs to help snug it in your hair.

It's really hard to choose just one of these as my favorite. . .they're both great.

I can't wait to see what headband(s) you end up with! :D

wendyg
July 6th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Headbands ought to be all over the place soon anyway. Has no one but me been watching Gossip Girl's Blair and her amazing collection?

wg

curls2grow
July 6th, 2009, 07:28 AM
I was just asking a simple question and hoping that friendly people whose opinions I value would reply. :)

rags
July 6th, 2009, 08:59 AM
gmdiaz: Oh, those headbands are stunning on you! And your hair is very beautiful. I especially like the way the silver one matches your beautiful silver highlights!

wendyg
July 6th, 2009, 09:58 AM
curls2grow: miscommunication. not criticizing you for starting it but people in general for trying to impose their rigid ideas on others.

wg

Fractalsofhair
July 6th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I think the only type of head bands that look "odd" on adults are either the ones that are the big 80s exercise headbands, or the ones that have hair on them. The latter look OK in fancy updos, but for just around the house, they look silly. The really glittery ones look odd as well, but most look fine. The exercise ones are great for working out, but for a job or something along those lines, it just looks odd! XD However, do what you want, it is your hair.

Bene
July 6th, 2009, 01:19 PM
i just got some headbands from beckababe (http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5302807) at etsy. these are pretty comfortable, with an elastic built into the back so it fits snugly.

i got 5, but this is the one i'm wearing today:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/hair/th_headband.jpg (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/hair/headband.jpg) http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/hair/th_SDC10218.jpg (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/hair/SDC10218.jpg) http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/hair/th_SDC10214.jpg (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/hair/SDC10214.jpg)

edit: i don't have any greys yet, but these are the sorts of headbands i don't consider too childish.

KarpatiiSiv
July 6th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Headbands ought to be all over the place soon anyway. Has no one but me been watching Gossip Girl's Blair and her amazing collection?
wg

I've noticed. She wears some amazing and wacky headbands.

gmdiaz
July 6th, 2009, 06:30 PM
gmdiaz: Oh, those headbands are stunning on you! And your hair is very beautiful. I especially like the way the silver one matches your beautiful silver highlights!

Thank you! :p

You just can NOT beat a Ficcare! Dang, they're expensive but oh do I love them, cherish them and love to look at them. ;)

That's the really cool thing about silver headbands and going gray. . .why not play it up? I soooo earned those silvers. :cheese:

gmdiaz
July 6th, 2009, 06:32 PM
i just got some headbands from beckababe (http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5302807) at etsy. these are pretty comfortable, with an elastic built into the back so it fits snugly.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/hair/th_headband.jpg (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/hair/headband.jpg) http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/hair/th_SDC10218.jpg (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/hair/SDC10218.jpg) http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/hair/th_SDC10214.jpg (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/hair/SDC10214.jpg)

edit: i don't have any greys yet, but these are the sorts of headbands i don't consider too childish.

So cute! I agree. . .that style is fun but does not look age specific.

faeflame
July 6th, 2009, 08:06 PM

Oooohhh, those look cute! Is the elastic covered so it's hair safe? Ok for big headed folk? I'm 40+ and love headbands for their simplicity, but my head must be a size large because they always feel too tight and slide backwards. I've learned to compromise and wear scarves tied as a headband.

curls2grow
July 6th, 2009, 08:16 PM
faeflame, I think I read on beckababe's etsy site that she can adjust the size of the headband if you let her know at time of purchase. To be on the safe side, I would ask before purchasing.

Bene
July 6th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Oooohhh, those look cute! Is the elastic covered so it's hair safe? Ok for big headed folk? I'm 40+ and love headbands for their simplicity, but my head must be a size large because they always feel too tight and slide backwards. I've learned to compromise and wear scarves tied as a headband.

the elastic part is covered in the fabric that is used to make the rest of the headband.

on her site, she has a little blurb about the sizes:

▪ 21" around unstretched, and made to fit an average ladies' size head of 21" - 23". If you need the circumference re-sized larger or smaller, let me know with your order or payment.

i didn't measure my head before i ordered. luckily, my head is JUST small enough to fit it.

hope that helps

edit: yeah, what curls2grow said :o

faeflame
July 6th, 2009, 08:49 PM
curls2grow, Bene,

Thanks for the info! I feel so silly, I shoulda looked around the shop more. These sound great. :)

feralnature
July 6th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I just wish I could find some that didn't squeeze my head uncomfortably or simply slide off my hair :lol:

I have some "headache-less headbands" that I got from Walmart. They fit so well and they truly do not give me a headache. I forget I am wearing them.

Flynn
July 7th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I think they are timeless and elegant, I just wish I could find some that didn't squeeze my head uncomfortably or simply slide off my hair :lol:

... Or both, at the same time.

(I find a lot squeeze too tight at the ends, but are too big everywhere else.)