PDA

View Full Version : Oil overload

Dementia1013
July 2nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
Ok, so I never oiled before I came here to LHC and I think I may be using too much or something. I try to use very little, but it must stay on my hands or something because eventually my entire head is so oily that I need to take a shower. The oil I think is all over my brushes and combs as well.

I showered then let my hair air dry embracing the frizzies. when putting it up into a sleep braid I used my BBB just once through my hair and it was oil city again. The next day I CO'd and got my hair back the way I wanted it again and tried cleaning out my BBB thinking that some Oily hair was stuck on there. This time I used my little asian wood comb and my hair oiled over AGAIN! I don't know what it is, but it's driving me crazy!

Perhaps I have to clarify? could I have too much conditioner build up or something? My comb slides through like butter, no snags or knots or anything, but the oily texture I hate. I like not having flyaways, but I hat it clumping to gether looking like I haven't showered for a month.

Has anyone gone through this? Any good clarifying suggestions? If anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Rohele
July 2nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
Is the CO washing new to your routine too? Maybe the conditioner you are washing with is a little heavy? I have also heard that sometimes people will go through a greasy period when going to CO washes as well.

How much oil are you using?

feralnature
July 2nd, 2009, 05:39 PM
What kind of oil are you using? How much? Are you using too much conditioner? Wash your brush and comb out in warm soapy water and dry them. Oiling your hair is a learning process but you will have it mastered very soon :)

Dementia1013
July 2nd, 2009, 05:44 PM
I use just a drop of Olive oil, but it seems to takeover my entire head. can I wash BBB and a wood comb in water and soap? Do you think I should clarify?

rogue_psyche
July 2nd, 2009, 05:53 PM
It is probably the olive oil. On the no-poo LJ community there's a huge warning against olive oil because you have to use conventional shampoo to rinse it out. Try a lighter oil such as sweet almond or coconut. My hair drinks up almond oil the best. You might have to clarify though, which is always a bummer when you have colored hair.

Dementia1013
July 2nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
It is probably the olive oil. On the no-poo LJ community there's a huge warning against olive oil because you have to use conventional shampoo to rinse it out. Try a lighter oil such as sweet almond or coconut. My hair drinks up almond oil the best. You might have to clarify though, which is always a bummer when you have colored hair.
Not too overly concerned. It's time to do the roots anyway so i'm already going to be re-dying. So it's the Olive oil huh? I guess I'm done with that. I may just wash with shampoo and see if that clears things up first. Thank you. It's been driving me nuts, because normally my hair isn't like this. It's not overly dry, but it's definitely not this oily either! :D

Rohele
July 2nd, 2009, 08:25 PM
Well, I'm able to get olive oil out quite well with CO washing, but it would be too heavy for me to use without intending to wash my hair after (I'll use about a tablespoon a couple of hours prior to washing). I've been using a few drops of jojoba oil if I intend to leave it in. I think though, trying a lighter oil would help.

danacc
July 2nd, 2009, 08:26 PM
To get olive oil out, I have the best success with CO wash, rinse, shampoo, rinse, CO wash, rinse. I don't think you will need to clarify. Since a CO wash got your hair back to where you wanted, you may be able to get it out with several CO washes. But if you're due for it anyway, I'd add in a shampoo wash.

For your BBB, clean the bristles with a mild shampoo. First, wet the bristles under running water. If it has a wood head or handle, try not to get the back of the brush or the handle too wet. Once the bristles are wet, set it down. Wet your hands, add a drop of shampoo, and create lather on your palms. Rub the lather into the bristles. If you have a non-wood comb, you can use the back (flat) edge of the comb to help distribute the lather into the brush as well. You want to get the shampoo onto the bristles down to where they meet the head of the brush. Rinse the shampoo using running water. Towel dry, then set on the counter to air dry.

For the wooden comb, use a damp cloth and wipe it down, then use a dry cloth as if you're polishing it. You can also use a dry toothbrush to get between the tines.

GlassEyes
July 2nd, 2009, 08:29 PM
I can CO out olive oil, but you might like something lighter like coconut oil. My hair rarely, if ever, looks greasy. xD; Olive oil is the one oil that can make it so.

Knittergirl
July 2nd, 2009, 08:31 PM
I would use coconut oil next time. You only need about a fingernail-full. BTW, I love your hair color!!!

Dementia1013
July 3rd, 2009, 12:11 AM
Ok, so update. I went out and I got Suave Clarifying shampoo and Suave Strawberry Cone free conditioner. I had been going this entire time thinking that I was cone free... When I took the time to look at my conditioner I was shocked to see it chocked full of cones!

I figured since I apparently have never gone cone free before to try some Suave while I'm redoing my hair.

I finished stripping my roots and rinsed the bleach out in the shower and finally got to use my new conditioner and OH MY GOODNESS. It was fantastic! :D

I was afraid to try a different conditioner because my hair was so used to the security blanket of Cones, but after that one wash, my hair feels amazing! So soft and I think even easier to get my comb through! :D

I'm in the process of cleaning my brushes right now, but I think my oily problem was somewhat because of my conditioner as well. I feel so much better and am ecstatic over my new found CO Brand. :cheese::cheese:

Thank you once again LHC. Oh, I also found some coconut oil at the store and will be trying that, but one experiment at a time. :D

Elettaria
July 3rd, 2009, 06:37 AM
Ah yes, olive oil. That one can be a bugger to get out. The trick is to put the shampoo on your hair before you get it wet. I once oiled with olive oil before I knew that, and before I knew that olive oil is too heavy for most people's hair, and was washing and washing and washing it in an attempt to get it out. Another trick is to plait or bun your hair straight after oiling it, as it will absorb the oil better and is less likely to end up looking greasy.