PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite thing...

Absinthegelatin
July 2nd, 2009, 02:36 PM
about this community?

I'll admit to being a little baffled when I first learned that I was required to have a specific number of posts here before I could acquire certain privileges (viewing albums and profiles, etc.) I suppose I was confused because this had never been the case with all of the previous messageboards/communities I had frequented before. However, I kept posting and began to realize how crazy and screwed up the internet can be when it brings together people who don't have to follow any rules when they post. Also- the lurkers!!! Who knows who might be out there...

well I guess I should say that I DO know a little about who is out there- I will use the forum TOTSE as an example. That place is rife with unsavory characters and just plain old relentless jerks. The saddest thing is that at least a moderate percentage of people there really do have something nice/interesting/relevant to contribute, but they eventually have to bow to the immense pressure of the general attitude of the forum, which is one of intense collective hatred. : c

So I guess what I am saying is this: I didn't think that TOTSE was such a terrible place to be until I found this community here a couple of years later. I think I am beginning to understand how much effort it takes to really make a place like this work.

In conclusion, I ask you all: What is your favorite thing about The Long Hair Community?

RoseRedDead
July 2nd, 2009, 02:39 PM
I'll admit to being a little baffled when I first learned that I was required to have a specific number of posts here before I could acquire certain privileges (viewing albums and profiles, etc.) I suppose I was confused because this had never been the case with all of the previous messageboards/communities I had frequented before.

This is sadly because of hair f&ti$hi$ts, I believe. The mods are really good about protecting us members.

My favourite part is just the glut of information. I like to read and learn EVERYTHING. :eyebrows:

Laurel32
July 2nd, 2009, 02:41 PM
Everyone (with a few exceptions) is very respectful and supportive. My hair has improved by leaps and bounds because of the knowledge that everyone here has. I love that the LHC is filled with people from different backgrounds and experiences. I know, more than one favorite thing.:eek:

enfys
July 2nd, 2009, 02:45 PM
Aside from what's been said, I quite like the pace. It's not a remote community, it's a thriving sub-urban community. Not too fast paced but not too slow.

I like how informative the non-hair stuff is. My chemistry and cultural understandings have come on leaps and bounds!

thankyousir74
July 2nd, 2009, 02:50 PM
All of the information about haircare coming straight from the people who have NICE hair.

Not from companies who want you to buy their product, not from salons who want you to keep thinking that short hair is "teh coolness", and not from people who don't know the first thing they talk about.

On LHC the members are informed, know the truth about hair care and even creatively experiment with different techniques to truly unlock the secret behind long, beautiful healthy, natural locks.

But what really keeps me coming back is the new things I learned on here besides haircare. I would have *never* known about menstrual cups, and many other things relating to the natural health of my body. LHC helped me see things that normally go overlooked in my real life, and I think that this kind of community, bustling with so many different people from various parts of the world has turned out to be a very good thing for me. :3

:cheer: Long Live LHC! :cheer:

Absinthegelatin
July 2nd, 2009, 02:52 PM
This is sadly because of hair f&ti$hi$ts, I believe. The mods are really good about protecting us members.

My favourite part is just the glut of information. I like to read and learn EVERYTHING. :eyebrows:

Indeed. It it nice to not have to worry about having your pictures stolen by some freaky hair-obsessed type.

I also like how there are multiple paths towards the goal of healthy hair. There is there a lot of information and it is really *diverse*...
I think more people benefit from the diversity of methods here instead of having to be told: "Go buy this or that product."

Absinthegelatin
July 2nd, 2009, 02:55 PM
Aside from what's been said, I quite like the pace. It's not a remote community, it's a thriving sub-urban community. Not too fast paced but not too slow.

I like how informative the non-hair stuff is. My chemistry and cultural understandings have come on leaps and bounds!

I'll admit that I am still working on the chemistry thing (eh... acid mantle??) although I have to agree that I too have learned quite a bit about different cultures around the world just by visiting this site.

Longlocks3
July 2nd, 2009, 03:36 PM
I've only been a member two months but wow. It has completely changed my views on hair topics and non-hair topics! Like before, CO sounded questionable, and I was scared to try it. Also, menstrual cups sounded sick! But now, I CO ONLY and am saving up for a menstrual cup. I guess I 'trust' this site so when I see people who recommend these 'different' things I'm much more likely to try them than if I read it in a magazine.

Honey39
July 2nd, 2009, 03:39 PM
I like this site because by definition - hair grows slowly. If people are interested in being here because they are growing their hair, it tends to be fairly long-term regular attendance. I love the fact that although I'm really shy about joining in on websites, people here tend to stick around because they are growing their hair, and it's not about one month of activity and bam, you're done, it's YEARS, lol.

Plus - I've always been really fascinated by hair. I read this site almost every day without fail, it's definitely one of my 'regulars'..>!

may1em
July 2nd, 2009, 03:53 PM
The support. This community has been invaluable to me not only for hair related things (I would never have found out about Fox's shea cream, AOHR conditioner, Ficcares, or a lot of hairstyles without it), but for all sorts of other things, too. Florenonite posted a thread about a beginning running program that has me doing aerobic exercise on a consistent basis for the first time ever, Manderly posted a thread about shovelgloving that led me to the diet that's working for me, the IUD thread was super-helpful in my decision to get one, and everyone's just so friendly. I share a lot less that some do about personal life stuff, but I find myself actually caring about how some of the ones who do are.

I like not having to have a different forum for everything I need support and encouragement with. I can always find something here.

Also, hats off to the mod team, who do an excellent job keeping us safe from the creeps and diffusing tension when we get into arguments.

Dementia1013
July 2nd, 2009, 03:55 PM
All of the information about haircare coming straight from the people who have NICE hair.

Not from companies who want you to buy their product, not from salons who want you to keep thinking that short hair is "teh coolness", and not from people who don't know the first thing they talk about.

On LHC the members are informed, know the truth about hair care and even creatively experiment with different techniques to truly unlock the secret behind long, beautiful healthy, natural locks.

But what really keeps me coming back is the new things I learned on here besides haircare. I would have *never* known about menstrual cups, and many other things relating to the natural health of my body. LHC helped me see things that normally go overlooked in my real life, and I think that this kind of community, bustling with so many different people from various parts of the world has turned out to be a very good thing for me. :3

:cheer: Long Live LHC! :cheer:

Well said. This is huge for me as well getting advice from people who actually take care of their hair. I can't tell you how many times I've been to the salon listening to a woman with over processed, perma-fried hair tell me how I should treat my hair to achieve gorgeous locks. lol.

I love that everyone here is so supportive of everything. Alot of forums people get 'flamed' for no reason at all, and when I joined I was welcomed with open arms.

I was nervous at first coming on here, because I dye my hair and I didn't think that I would fit in, But I was welcomed and praised and now i'm an LHC'er for life! I've even tried getting my Sister in-law to join. I just realized (after she took her ponytail down) that she has waist length hair. Just never saw it because it was always in a messy bun on her head. So hopefully she will come join us. :D

Fiferstone
July 2nd, 2009, 03:55 PM
I too am amazed at the sheer knowledge of this incredibly diverse group of people, and I respect that the rules are here to keep us all civil and cordial to one another and to protect members from those whose aim is exploitation of some kind or other. Welcome to the community:grouphug:

Tom Steinberg
July 2nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
Besides the obvious benefits of a community of like minded people I like the friendly atmosphere and the fact that there are things besides long hair to talk about too. I do have a life outside my long hair interest :) How about you?

lundmir
July 2nd, 2009, 04:37 PM
There are lots of things I didn't even think I could do with my hair. The respectful atmosphere, the friendlyness, this is a great place. Besides the fact that thanks to this place my hair is in better shape dyed a bright unnatural red than when I had virgin hair, haha.
There's also a lot of stuff to talk about, not only hair! I love the diversity, both from having people with different backgrounds, and from discussing just about anything.

windinherhair
July 2nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
The thing that I have most enjoyed about the community is being able to relate with everyone and share the common interest of long hair. I am sure I am not alone when I say this, but I have never really known of anyone personally that liked to have hair as long as mine. Many of my friends have ended up cutting their hair shorter over the years. The second thing is the manner of the community. Everyone has been very friendly here too.

Bunnyhare
July 2nd, 2009, 05:36 PM
I have to ditto all that has been said here too! I always thought of "chat rooms" as creepy places and insincere..but here it feels real, I think because it is a long term based idea, growing hair, and the pictures and suggestions really make it fun to peruse,daily! ANd i feel like you could really get hlep with just about anything here..Thank you all! I really am blessed to be a part here. YAY! Long Live TLHC!

rags
July 2nd, 2009, 05:48 PM
I love the "feel" of this forum - the fact that you do have to have time in to see things, that the mods keep tensions diffused, etc.

I also like the diversity of people on here, and the wealth of knowledge to be found on all subjects, not just hair.

More than one thing, I know!

Silver & Gold
July 2nd, 2009, 06:21 PM
I've always been into alternative and natural health and beauty care. Because of this most people think I'm a bit dotty, sweet and enthusiastic, but dotty. But here I feel downright conservative in my views. So it's nice to be on LHC where I don't stand out as the "eccentric one".

I also enjoy the various random topics on philosophy, religion and points of view that come up now and again. Even when they get a bit strained it never feels downright ugly or unsafe because the mods nip it in the bud and everyone just moves along to the next topic.

I also love that I feel fairly safe here. On other forums that I've been on in the past I generally had to deal with the random guy looking for cyber sex who would befriend you only to turn things on you later. Yuck! LHC generally doesn't even let these types get a toe-hold and that is nice.

I also enjoy the fact that it is an international community. That really broadens the perspective and information available.

Coriander
July 2nd, 2009, 06:40 PM
I love the fact that we're all united here by a common love for our hair. In addition to that, we have an extremely supportive community with wonderful moderators.

And as my third thing, I love the plethora of random information I'm able to learn here on a daily basis :)

paper
July 2nd, 2009, 06:50 PM
Theres too many to just name one thing!

I have learned and keep learning so much here about hair care, styling, hair toys, etc. I'm growing out hair dye and embracing my grays, I get so much support here with that.

The friendships are probably the best. To have someone to talk to and get advice from.

JamieLeigh
July 2nd, 2009, 07:04 PM
I of course appreciate all the efforts the mods make (and the members who notify them when trouble is brewing). Without the guidelines set out in the Terms we agree to when we join, there could not be such a warm community where all are accepted (I know there are some of us who do not accept everyone so readily, but the majority of us seem to skate away from conflict and try to keep the focus on what really matters), regardless of age, appearance, etc.

In addition, I enjoy looking at the photos that are posted, especially the progress photos where there are several years worth of pictures in one post. I think it's fun to see how far some of us have come with patience and work. :)

GlassEyes
July 2nd, 2009, 07:25 PM
Pegs. Pegs is my favorite thing about this forum. XD

But second would be the other people. xD

Sure, I disagree with a LOT of them--I doubt I'm everyone's favorite person either, but being on this forum has made me a lot of friends. A lot of friends I wouldn't mind seeing in real life, even.

Okay, not a lot of friends, but there are people on here I get along with wel, and I like being able to talk to them.

Second would be the hair, but psh. XD; Who needs that when there's cool people?

eternallyverdan
July 2nd, 2009, 08:15 PM
I'd have to say my favorite thing about the forum is the fact that everyone is so warm and open-- you always get congratulatory posts when you've managed a new updo or grown a couple inches, and people are sympathetic when you're shedding or tangly or unable to make anything but a turd bun.

Cricket1
July 2nd, 2009, 08:36 PM
^That's my favorite thing too.. In my opinion, the long hair community members are some of the nicest people on the net. I don't think I've ever seen the members here say nasty things to eachother just for fun. In the previous message board i visited, I had a pretty bad experience with bullies. people there were so awful towards eachother. Imagine my surprise when I joined here.:cheese:

MAO
July 2nd, 2009, 08:47 PM
I love the fact that there are so many people into 'alternative' i.e., natural remedies/products, and so many friendly, open-minded people.

Willow
July 2nd, 2009, 09:33 PM
I wondered why I couldn't view pics here..I must not have enough posts! I thought it was my computer..lol. How many do you need?

invisiblebabe
July 2nd, 2009, 11:25 PM
I love this site because there seems to be a fairly high correlation between long hair lovers and cat lovers :kitten:

jessie58
July 3rd, 2009, 12:23 AM
I was the opposite of the OP. This is the first online community I had ever been to. It was so interesting, so much great information. People are friendly, funny and nicely behaved.

I found out later that other communities are not at all like this. I believe that moderators are a big part of the reason that people keep within the rules and are respectful of others.

Quixii
July 3rd, 2009, 01:38 AM
I'm really enjoying all that I'm learning here. I haven't gotten a chance to put much of it into use (sorry :( ), but I just feel so much more knowledgeable now. Plus, the fact that there's so many people that have huge expanses of hair knowledge that I could ask things from.. well, it's cool.

Now, if only I could convince my mother that wanting to put oil in my hair and requiring a wooden wide toothed comb weren't such insane ideas...

rach
July 3rd, 2009, 03:55 AM
this place has been an eye opener to new ideas.
people seem more relaxed here.
feel listened to.
people generally seem to want to help.
there's allot of hair experience on here and people who have shown these ideas work in the long run :D

Absinthegelatin
July 3rd, 2009, 04:02 AM
Well said. This is huge for me as well getting advice from people who actually take care of their hair. I can't tell you how many times I've been to the salon listening to a woman with over processed, perma-fried hair tell me how I should treat my hair to achieve gorgeous locks. lol.

I love that everyone here is so supportive of everything. Alot of forums people get 'flamed' for no reason at all, and when I joined I was welcomed with open arms.

I was nervous at first coming on here, because I dye my hair and I didn't think that I would fit in, But I was welcomed and praised and now i'm an LHC'er for life! I've even tried getting my Sister in-law to join. I just realized (after she took her ponytail down) that she has waist length hair. Just never saw it because it was always in a messy bun on her head. So hopefully she will come join us. :D

Oh I have seen the pictures of your hair and I love, love LOVE the color!! It is nice to see long purple hair here. I bet you get compliments on it daily?

Absinthegelatin
July 3rd, 2009, 04:05 AM
I wondered why I couldn't view pics here..I must not have enough posts! I thought it was my computer..lol. How many do you need?

I believe the minimum post count for this is 25. c:

Tap Dancer
July 3rd, 2009, 05:29 AM
I like being surrounded by people who share similar interests (mostly hair, of course, but other things too). It's a safe place to be where I can share things about myself that I wouldn't post on any other forum.

Stormsong
July 3rd, 2009, 05:34 AM
I'm not a huge poster, I mostly lurk, but the main thing I love about this site is the support.

Moderator support to keep the community friendly and open and the member support for helping people when they feel down about their hair/anything else, for when people are feeling up about new growth/styles they can do, support with a wealth of information of tricks and tips about all the subjects under the sun (and probably a few more). I guess basically it's about being a huge extended family and friends group formed around a love of hair.

Newniepg
July 3rd, 2009, 05:45 AM
I think the thing I love most about this community changes the longer I am here. At first I was amazed by the wealth of knowledge about hair and alternative ways to care for it. Then a little while later it was the fact that I could spend aaages looking at photo's of long hair. More recently I think it has been my admiration for the people on this forum who are actual, real life people who have such a range of personalities, faiths and lifestyles- yet seem to coexist fairly happily. Given that I went to high school and was miserable because I was so different to everyone else, I think that tolerance is a very precious thing. We can all have our own opinions without hurting the feelings of people who differ.

Ah, yes. Gushing over. :S

Kiraela
July 3rd, 2009, 09:41 AM
I think it's the community itself. The members are my favorite thing about LHC. Everyone has such vastly different experiences - such different views, ways of life, etc. The way the different cultures of thousands of different people mesh together, blend, rather than clashing, as happens everywhere else I've ever been on the internet. Everyone has something to teach, something to learn, something interesting to say. Even when I don't particularly agree with someone, they still make me think.

Well, that and the inspirational pictures ;).

marzipanthecat
July 3rd, 2009, 09:49 AM
I like that pretty much everyone on LHC seems so laid back and generally accepting of all sorts of lifestyles. "If it isn't hurting anyone, hey, that's fine" sort of attitude. It seems very kind.

Also, tremendously good hair advice!

And no one gets snotty about hair having to be a certain length before being considered "long". Everyone here just wants to grow their own hair to whatever length suits them!

Also - very important - how incredibly good the moderators are. Very little spiteful madness seems to go on here!

kdaniels8811
July 3rd, 2009, 09:51 AM
I love it that everyone is as hair-obsessed as I am. I have tried for YEARS to grow my hair and arm pit is about as long as it got. Now I am to BSL and getting beyond it, thanks to all the knowledge and advice I have garnered from this forum. This is the only on-line community I have ever belonged to, and I love it. The support is terrific, thank you to everyone. Oh, and my hair toy collection has gotten tothe rediculous point... Smile! Love this place!

Cricket1
July 3rd, 2009, 05:02 PM
I think the thing I love most about this community changes the longer I am here. At first I was amazed by the wealth of knowledge about hair and alternative ways to care for it. Then a little while later it was the fact that I could spend aaages looking at photo's of long hair. More recently I think it has been my admiration for the people on this forum who are actual, real life people who have such a range of personalities, faiths and lifestyles- yet seem to coexist fairly happily. Given that I went to high school and was miserable because I was so different to everyone else, I think that tolerance is a very precious thing. We can all have our own opinions without hurting the feelings of people who differ.

Ah, yes. Gushing over. :S
Amen .....