PDA

View Full Version : Partially flaky?

Fillette
July 2nd, 2009, 01:01 PM
Hi everybody,
I have been faithfully doing CO for a while now and I absolutely love it! I clarify as needed with diluted shampoo, about once a month or so. My hair loves it and for the most part, my scalp loves it too.
The only weird thing is that my scalp is flaky on the top of my head. It is strange because it only happens on the TOP of my head. The rest of my scalp is just fine and loves CO.
At first I thought that it was build-up that happened because I put my leave in conditioner (Suave Coconut Conditioner) everywhere, including the scalp. So I stopped putting it on the scalp. I still have flakes.

Does anybody else go through "partial flakiness?" What advice could you give me? Should I just clarify more often? If yes, wouldn't I be over-shampooing the rest of my scalp? Maybe I just need to clarify the top of my head more often?

TIA :)

magpielaura
July 2nd, 2009, 01:36 PM
I get a flaky patch above my right ear. Sometimes it is better, sometimes worse. Sometimes my whole scalp joins in! CO seemed to sort it out at first, but then it came and went again as before. Lately I'm not CO washing much and have been doing herbal things and SLS free shampoos and it is better....though I wouldn't be suprised if this is just a coincidence and it came back again!

So I'm no help at all! My only sugestions are ensuring you scritch/massage this area particulaily well, try using vinegar rinses, experiment with a few different condisheners. I'd be interested if anyone else has a similar "small patch" dandruff condition and what has helped.

rogue_psyche
July 2nd, 2009, 01:42 PM
Did your scalp get sunburned? I have flakies from a sunburn on my scalp at the moment and it is quite annoying. The sunburn happened three weeks ago and I'm still flaking...

Roseate
July 2nd, 2009, 01:49 PM
I sometimes have flakes just in the very front of my hair, right in my widow's peak. They are usually pretty superficial and I can get them off by massaging the scalp with a little jojoba oil on my fingers, right in that spot. Mine seem like just a little dryness, not buildup or any severe reaction (which I used to get when using SLS).

Fillette
July 2nd, 2009, 06:05 PM
Did your scalp get sunburned? I have flakies from a sunburn on my scalp at the moment and it is quite annoying. The sunburn happened three weeks ago and I'm still flaking...

Hi rogue_psyche,
I don't think this is due to sunburn. I have not been in the sun lately and I tend to wear a hat when I am out... But thanks for pointing it out. This is something I definitely need to watch out for. :)

Fillette
July 2nd, 2009, 06:11 PM
Magpielaura and Roseate - thank you for your responses.
I guess I am not the only one who has flaky patches. I think I'll try using shampoo on the top of my hair more often. I'll start with once every two weeks and if that does not help, try once a week.

I'll also try Magpielaura's suggestions about scritching and vinegar rinses.
Thanks again! :flowers:

Dex
July 2nd, 2009, 06:19 PM
I get that too, right in front.
But I'm clueless as to how to help you...

magpielaura
July 3rd, 2009, 03:51 AM
I sometimes have flakes just in the very front of my hair, right in my widow's peak. They are usually pretty superficial and I can get them off by massaging the scalp with a little jojoba oil on my fingers, right in that spot. Mine seem like just a little dryness, not buildup or any severe reaction (which I used to get when using SLS).

I've done that too sometimes - Aloe vera gel is quite good as well if you don't want to use oil (my hair gets greasy quite easily, so the AVG is better for me). Sometimes I just massage with dry fingertips and lightly with my my nails to dislodge the bits, then fluff my hair to shake them loose.

manderly
July 3rd, 2009, 04:10 AM
OMG, I was just going to post the same thing. I'm plagued right now with flakies (quite large sometimes :oops:) around my hairline, mostly right at the top in my widow's peak. I've been scritching, massaging, oiling, coing, and dandruff shampooing. It's so annoying to step out the shower and see soggy flakes that somehow escaped 3 poo bar lathers worth of scrubbing and massaging!!

rogue psych, thanks for suggesting that. It's entirely possible it's a bit of sunburn or something, that didn't occur to me either, so I'll look out for that now :)

But it occured to me a few minutes ago that I went though the exact same thing exactly a year ago, so now I'm thinking maybe it's due to the heat. I get really bad heat rashes too, so maybe a flaky scalp and heat rashes in summer go hand in hand for me.

Thanks for starting this thread :) It's good to know I'm not the only one!

magpielaura
July 3rd, 2009, 06:13 AM
Thanks for starting this thread :) It's good to know I'm not the only one!

It is nice to know you are not alone isn't it! You can be doing all the "right" things and still have annoying white bits in your hair.

Kiraela
July 3rd, 2009, 10:34 AM
I've also got the flakies right around my front hairline and on the top of my head (not at my part but about 1-2" away on either side). I try scritching them off, but the only thing that seems to be really keeping it under control is vinegar rinses.

justme
July 4th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I also have the flakes only on the top of my head and around my face. I've never had any flakes from my ears down, that I know of at least. Washing my hair upside down no matter what products I used seemed to help quite a bit, but I have no idea why. Maybe try that out?

I'd love to hear of any other remedies.