PDA

View Full Version : not sure where to start

tammytamtam
July 2nd, 2009, 02:04 AM
There is so much information here, that I am not sure where to start. What were your first steps to grow your hair long? Oiling, damp bunning, cwc?

minkstole
July 2nd, 2009, 03:08 AM
You could try one of the stickies at the top of the page;)

kdaniels8811
July 2nd, 2009, 03:10 AM
Look under "articles", there is information for newbies. Good luck and yes, there is TONS of information. Welcome to the LHC.

Stormsong
July 2nd, 2009, 03:25 AM
Perhaps try starting with this article from the articles section of the board.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39

There's a lot of stuff in the articles section :)

Dvips
July 2nd, 2009, 08:18 AM
I started with finding a non-SLS shampoo, getting a seamless comb (I like those by Creative, which I bought online at Headgames), and damp-bunning... but you're hair might respond differently than mine to things. (Mine was past my shoulders, fine, thin, "virgin", slightly wavy.)

Definitely check out the threads/articles that people directed you to for many more ideas!

Most importantly, remember to start out slowly. If you change too many things at once, then you do not know what your hair is responding to (whether it is a good response or a bad one)! Also, some changes take some time (a week or two) to show a difference, so it is not always useful to try something once and then to leave it.

Hope that helps!

Kirin
July 2nd, 2009, 09:08 AM
There IS a lot of information to wade through on this site! It can be daunting to someone new and trying to sift through acres of knowledge and experience.

My simple advice is, start simple. Try a few things, with products you already own. Don't rush out to buy something expensive as a first trial, as you may be dissapointed, and frustrated.

Inexpensive things to try first is conditioner only washing, using a cheap (99 cent) conditioner such as V05, or Suave. Don't spend a fortune on some rare fantastic comb, just find an affordable one with no seams at your local pharmacy. If you want to try oils, I recommend starting with just one, such as coconut which is the usual standard for most around here.

Once you try a few things, you can expand, if they don't work, switching to another plan without the frustration of having spent a ton of money. If it does work, you can expand with better products.

There is no "right" way to care for your hair, only what works for you and you alone.

feralnature
July 2nd, 2009, 02:00 PM
When I joined here January 2008, my hair was like my avatar. I started using Suave or VO5 shampoo and conditioner and also rinsing the conditioner out with cold water rather than warm while in the shower. My whole shower would be warm, but the last rinse would be cold to smooth each hair shaft and reduce the appearance of damage and add shine. Also, I would get out before every trace of conditioner would be gone, thus leaving a small coating in my hair. I do not put conditioner on the top of my head, just below the ears and down. That keeps the crown of my head looking full and the ends well conditioned. My siggy pic is recent and you can see my ends are damaged. That eventually happened as they were damaged with chemicals from my old pre-LHC days. I have not trimmed at all since joining here and i know they are damaged, however I am getting good growth and can pull all my hair into a pony tail or braids and that is nice when working outside. So the ends will be dealt with later.

Also, I am aware of every hair and try not to break even one. I don't want to let a hair clasp or a head band or scunchie or reading glasses break even one hair. Before LHC, I was not conscious of it and I had lots of broken hairs. I do put my hair up damp but it is more for convience than for putting moisture into my hair. I put it up after showers just to get it out of the way. We have had temps over 100 for the last 13 days with two days 108 F, so I can go outside and it is dry in a minute or so!

I use coconut oil in my hair and learned how much to use by trial and error. I love it! Read what you can on it and then buy some from the grocery store baking section. I bought LouAna 31.5 oz for about $8.00. It will last forever. You can eat it as is or cook with it if you wish as it is good for you inside as well as out.

I fingercomb my hair or use a wide tooth comb. I shed very little. I am gowing out virgin hair and allowing my grey to come in. I do not flat iron or blow dry. No hairspray or anything like that. I take Biotin 5,000 mcg and a multivitamin/minerals and Vitamin C and have everyday since jan 2009. I also take glucosimine MSM recently.

I try to eat enough meat and eggs to get a lot of protein. I think someone my weight and age and activity level needs about 90 grams, not sure exactly.

Anyway, that's what I do. But the very first thing I did was try to read everything on this website. :)

MunchkinBubble
July 2nd, 2009, 02:30 PM
Until you start experimenting with new routines I suggest the basics:

Switch to seamless wide-tooth combs instead of brushes.
Braid your hair at night.
Satin pillowcase.
Stop trimming until you actually need to (it will probably be longer than the reccomended 6-8 weeks).
NO heat-styling.
Protective updos.
Just in general be more aware of your hair - when you lean back in chairs does it get stuck between your back and the chair? Does it get caught in seat belts? etc.
Start to be way more gentle with your hair - the less your hair tangles, the less you need to detangle.

From there I say just start weeding through all of the information on here (there's a lot!!) and you can start to try out different washing methods and treatments.

Welcome! And be prepared - its addicting here!

Honey39
July 2nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
I tried with letting my hair dry without blow-drying, to find out what myhair type was - I realised I was curly! Lol. Then I tried conditioner-only washing, which I still do a year later every day. I went through loads of fads, and gradually settled into a routine, although lately I've been experimenting with molasses and vinegar rinses.

But start SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW - otherwise you won't know what's working and what's not, it will be overload on your hair!!

danacc
July 2nd, 2009, 08:33 PM
Perhaps try starting with this article from the articles section of the board.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39

There's a lot of stuff in the articles section :)

I'm adding my vote to the link above. When I was new, I read and (mostly) followed Ursula's advice. And when I didn't, I later wished I had. ;)