PDA

View Full Version : Shedding - does it just look like more sometimes?

jera
July 2nd, 2009, 01:44 AM
Yesterday I lost some hairs combing out after a wash. At first it looked like a lot :( but one of the strands was over two feet long ! :)

This calmed me down right away. What seemed like a lot was just a few hairs that were very long anyway so it looked like I'd lost a lot when in fact I hadn't. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

I wanted to post this in case any newbie members feel panicky about shedding. Sometimes the length of those shedded hairs is as important as the quantity, because if you're a long hair, you may be losing less than you think.

CrowningGlory
July 2nd, 2009, 04:10 AM
I've noticed the same thing recently. I'll comb my hair and it looks like there's a lot of loose hairs caught in my comb but when I release them it's only a few just doubled over. Another thing I've noticed is my long hair all over the place. When my hair was shorter I never noticed those shed hairs on the floor, in the bath, on clothes, but now I do!

Laurel32
July 2nd, 2009, 06:47 AM
I think that sometimes it looks longer. Today in the shower I pulled out what I thought was a lot of hairs, but I counted and I only pulled out 6.

rhubarbarin
July 2nd, 2009, 07:02 AM
I used to get worried about my shedding.. I've shed 400 hairs in one go before! I don't worry any more. My circumference never gets any less.

girlcat36
July 2nd, 2009, 07:09 AM
I try to tell myself the same thing---that my hair is(slightly) longer so sheds will appear bigger.
I also tell myself that my hair is very fine, so I probably have more hair than I think, and so can afford to shed more. :rolleyes:
And I tell myself that my terminal length is probably much shorter than most LHCer's---though I don't know that for sure----hence I will shed more as my hair gets longer.
Right now I am trying very hard to ignore my shedding.

Fillette
July 2nd, 2009, 01:10 PM
I believe that as our hair grows, it appears that we shed more because the strands are longer and make bigger "hair balls." So I really try not to worry too much about shedding. And if I do worry, I just take the time to count the shed hairs and it usually calms me down because it is rarely far from the normal count.

The only time I really start worrying is when I notice a lot of shorter strands of hair (like 1-2 inches) because they might be due to breakage.

rags
July 2nd, 2009, 01:45 PM
I try to tell myself the same thing---that my hair is(slightly) longer so sheds will appear bigger.
I also tell myself that my hair is very fine, so I probably have more hair than I think, and so can afford to shed more. :rolleyes:
And I tell myself that my terminal length is probably much shorter than most LHCer's---though I don't know that for sure----hence I will shed more as my hair gets longer.
Right now I am trying very hard to ignore my shedding.

Have you been in my head girlcat? That's exactly the same spiel I give myself! (including the shorter terminal due to health issues)

Kiraela
July 2nd, 2009, 01:51 PM
Oh, I've definately noticed that my sheds look like 'more' now, even though I am quite sure it is the same amount. It's just that a single three foot long hair balled up looks massive, even compared to a few 2 foot long hairs. I've also noticed more since moving to this new apartment, oddly. The house we were in before had very... flat I guess... carpets - very little texture - so the hairs were sucked up by the vacuum and went away. Here, the carpet is more lush and catches the hairs - some days I will find what looks like a pathway of hair from the bedroom to the bathroom, but when I collect them it's really only a dozen hairs or so!

jera
July 2nd, 2009, 03:28 PM
I've noticed the same thing recently. I'll comb my hair and it looks like there's a lot of loose hairs caught in my comb but when I release them it's only a few just doubled over. Another thing I've noticed is my long hair all over the place. When my hair was shorter I never noticed those shed hairs on the floor, in the bath, on clothes, but now I do!

Yup. I've had that one super long hair wound around the teeth of the comb til it looks like a hairball. :D I never noticed shedded hairs when my hair was shorter either. :eyebrows: