PDA

View Full Version : Not so manly now? (pics pics pics)

ReddishRocks
July 1st, 2009, 08:56 PM
If you recall, I had some trouble looking manly in updos (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=27590). :D I decided to get some bits cut to help things along...

I actually have the best stylist in the world. First of all, I told her that I'm still growing out, but I wanted her to look at my layers and hemline to see if anything needed serious balancing. I wear my hair down a lot, so I don't want to walk around all Picasso. ;) She looked, she touched, she said, "Nope. You don't need a thing." :heartbeat

Then came the whispies. I had seen some pictures of girls with very cute nape curls, and I thought that would be nice, so she cut me those. I then figured it'd be good to have a little all the way around my hairline. Fine. When we were done, she said exactly what I was thinking, "I don't know how the heck you're ever going to find them again, but there they are." :o We also decided we didn't like the ones we'd cut near my ears. They're long enough to put up, so no worries.

The front turned out GREAT - I'm very pleased. I've only washed once since then, so I can't tell if the nape curls are going to work out yet... I think they're still trying to figure out that they can curl! I hope they get it together down there, otherwise it'll take them 2 years to catch up with the rest of my length... whenever I decide to stop letting that grow!

In the future, I'm just going to do it myself.

Down, it really doesn't look all that different:
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x143/ReddishRocks/39June092.jpg http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x143/ReddishRocks/29June09back.jpg

Aaaaaand I'm honestly not a huge fan of these pics, but hey, I'm still getting used to this updo business. ;) That's a failed Figure-8 that turned out okay held by Beetnik505 purple heart sticks. :)
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x143/ReddishRocks/1July093.jpg http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x143/ReddishRocks/1July09beatnik505purpleheart.jpg

misstwist
July 1st, 2009, 09:14 PM
Very cute! I'm glad you like them.

I hope you don't mind me suggesting that if you do decide this is the way you want to go and not let it grow back out, I think your face will be a little better balanced if the tendrils end right around your chin.

Of course, if they haven't quite gotten the message that they are short and should curl up they may yet spring up to chin length, especially if you scrunch them.

Also, if it was my hair, I would take that center lock and trim it so that it is about nose length. I just think variation in length looks a little more natural, but you may think that short would get in your way.

You have my ideal red color and whurlies. I would wear mine down way more if it looked like that!

ReddishRocks
July 1st, 2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks much. :)

There is a little lock that's nose length, but it's tough to see in that picture. I'm still playing with how much of my hair to leave out and what to put back up... I'll try chin and see how it goes. :) I'm used to leaving out bigger chunks of hair, and I'm having a hard time finding all these thin little tendrils... They tend to merge with their "mother-clumps" and become difficult. ;)

jessie58
July 1st, 2009, 09:22 PM
OMGosh, your hair is SO pretty. I love it down and up, that bun is so pretty too.

Elainehali
July 1st, 2009, 09:26 PM
Very cute!

I'm glad that the stylist found your hair perfect without a trim. Way to go. :cheese:

ReddishRocks
July 1st, 2009, 09:39 PM
Very cute!

I'm glad that the stylist found your hair perfect without a trim. Way to go. :cheese:

I was SO pleased to hear that! I really didn't want to do any kind of dusting. Wavy hair hides a LOT of length sins too... ;)

OMGosh, your hair is SO pretty. I love it down and up, that bun is so pretty too.

Thank you! I'm still a little nervous about updos... but I'm getting over it. Lots of pretty new hairtoys are helping. :rolleyes:

handsclean
July 1st, 2009, 09:46 PM
It looks very pretty :) I really didn't have anything to add to this discussion, other than- look! We have the exact same hairtype :) I just got excited for a minute there!

bugeyedmonster2
July 1st, 2009, 09:48 PM
Very nice, love the curls and the bun. (I have straight hair, so of course I LOOOOVE curls.)

And I'm slightly jealous that you have a good stylist.

(^_^)/
BEM

redcelticcurls
July 1st, 2009, 09:52 PM
I didn't think it was manly in the first place. :)

But, I do like the wispies, and I'm sure you'll like them even more as you get more used to styling them.

Do you notice those pieces any differently when you wear your hair down?

ReddishRocks
July 1st, 2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks for all the compliments! :heartbeat

I didn't think it was manly in the first place. :)

But, I do like the wispies, and I'm sure you'll like them even more as you get more used to styling them.

Do you notice those pieces any differently when you wear your hair down?

You know, it's going to take another wash or two to see if they really start to separate in the front. At first I was concerned that I'd created smaller curl clumps that would just end up looking stringy and weird. Thus far, all seems well. Seems to add a bit of texture without sticking up/out oddly. Time will tell. :)

Lexibeth
July 1st, 2009, 10:37 PM
up or down, I love the way it frames your face :)

Bene
July 1st, 2009, 10:48 PM
such pretty curls... i wish my hair would cooperate like that

Flynn
July 1st, 2009, 10:50 PM
Very nice! It looks very lovely and "soft" with those pieces down! (I didn't think you looked "manly" before though!)

ReddishRocks
July 1st, 2009, 10:56 PM
such pretty curls... i wish my hair would cooperate like that
We're pretty close in hair type - I bet you could make yours do something similar! My routine's all written out in painful detail on my blog... I won't lie, it's a decent amount of work. :disgust:

Bene
July 1st, 2009, 11:05 PM
We're pretty close in hair type - I bet you could make yours do something similar! My routine's all written out in painful detail on my blog... I won't lie, it's a decent amount of work. :disgust:

*goes off to stalk some blogs now*

manderly
July 1st, 2009, 11:14 PM
Manly shmanly. You look very feminine and pretty :D

akilina
July 1st, 2009, 11:26 PM
It looks great! Those curls are so pretty too :]

nowxisxforever
July 1st, 2009, 11:42 PM
I was SO pleased to hear that! I really didn't want to do any kind of dusting. Wavy hair hides a LOT of length sins too... ;)

It really does-- mine is wavy but part of it will curl into ringlets if I treat it right just after a wash, but the ringlets are really fragile and fall apart at the slightest provocation-- when I go to trim my hair I just look at my ends and do a S&D, and will take small amounts off of the end of each wave-curl-mother-THING and it generally looks even. It's never straight, so.

bugeyedmonster2
July 1st, 2009, 11:52 PM
Pretty.

(^_^)/
BEM

Ryanne
July 2nd, 2009, 12:30 AM
I didn't think it looked manly before, but this does look very lovely and feminine. It makes it a lot softer, love the curls.

Melisande
July 2nd, 2009, 12:36 AM
Very very lovely. I'm in awe of curls. You can really do such a lot with curls. My straight hair would never allow me to achieve the wispy look - I can pick between "sadistic librarian" and "bag lady on home leave"... :roll: ..

jessie58
July 2nd, 2009, 01:22 AM
It looks very pretty :) I really didn't have anything to add to this discussion, other than- look! We have the exact same hairtype :) I just got excited for a minute there!

Hey we're triplets, I have the same hair too, except maybe a little thicker.

Charlotte
July 2nd, 2009, 01:52 AM
I love the colour and texture of your hair. Your messy bun looks very enticing too... all in all very, very pretty. :)

LutraLutra
July 2nd, 2009, 02:38 AM
That looks great, and no one would ever think you looked manly. To be honest, you never looked manly in the first place, but it does look a little softer, which is pretty. :)

Newniepg
July 2nd, 2009, 02:40 AM
I think the wispies really suit you, and you are right, they are really feminine and girly! Your hair is really beautiful by the way.

MandaMom2Three
July 2nd, 2009, 05:15 AM
Very pretty :flowers:

free_hug
July 2nd, 2009, 06:37 AM
Hey, just dropped in to mention i love your blog (just noticed the link in your siggy today), and that between long or curly, it's time for you to choose both :)

Fencai
July 2nd, 2009, 06:39 AM
wow! that's really pretty!!!

Rentlle
July 2nd, 2009, 06:58 AM
I love it!
I never managed to make a figure 8-bun that pretty!
lovely curls also! :)

SpecialKitty
July 2nd, 2009, 07:48 AM
very pretty, ReddishRocks!

redcelticcurls
July 2nd, 2009, 08:10 AM
Hey, just dropped in to mention i love your blog (just noticed the link in your siggy today), and that between long or curly, it's time for you to choose both :)

Ah, but that is the challenge. After a certain point, curl drag sets in.

JessTheMess
July 2nd, 2009, 08:15 AM
I loveeee your waves!!!!!!! Can I borrow some?

ZadenWillowfyre
July 2nd, 2009, 08:24 AM
Ooo! Pretty curls! I need to get me some hair toys hehe.

rags
July 2nd, 2009, 08:51 AM
Very very lovely. I'm in awe of curls. You can really do such a lot with curls. My straight hair would never allow me to achieve the wispy look - I can pick between "sadistic librarian" and "bag lady on home leave"... :roll: ..

Ditto!

I like the wispies, gorgeous!

ReddishRocks
July 2nd, 2009, 10:10 AM

LMAO - you made me snort my cereal! :D Thanks for the compliment!

ReddishRocks
July 2nd, 2009, 10:15 AM
Ah, but that is the challenge. After a certain point, curl drag sets in.

Yes, I used to be a lot more 3a when I was around APL. Now I'm dragging out to 3a up front and 2c/2b in the back. :D Fine with me - I love how my hair changes all the time!

coolbreeze212
July 2nd, 2009, 10:54 AM
Your curls...your color.....your wispies....you.....ALL beautiful!!

LadyLongLocks
July 2nd, 2009, 12:43 PM
Very cute! I have been considering doing the same with the bangs, the longer ones. They seem perfect since you can still comb them back in a bun if you want.
Looks great on you :)

psvzum
July 2nd, 2009, 10:32 PM
You have gorgeous hair!!!!

zombi
July 2nd, 2009, 10:37 PM
just another "I love your hair!" over here! It looks great.

redneckprincess
July 3rd, 2009, 07:08 AM
looks so good!! and pretty ♥

curly girl fla
July 3rd, 2009, 08:24 AM
Always beautiful, before-after-up-down! Never the least bit manly, either. I love the length you've achieved, too... :)

Kiraela
July 3rd, 2009, 10:36 AM
I definately like the shorter bits - they look very pretty in your hair.

Also: Your color is amazing.

Bunnyhare
July 3rd, 2009, 11:07 AM
I always like the little ringlets some get at the neck line when they had an updo, i always thought they naturally happened (from necklaces or something)and never thought of cutting them in! Your pictures look fabulous!you did a good job with the sticks! My curls always take a bit to realize where they are after a trim/cut..it will probably act different in a few days but have fun!

ericthegreat
July 3rd, 2009, 01:19 PM
You look beautiful ANYWAY. Don't listen to any jealous haters who say you look manly or whatever. And your curls are just scrumptious!

gmdiaz
July 3rd, 2009, 09:49 PM
I am loving your curly wisps! They look great down or in an up do! They're very flattering but you never did look anything but feminine!

You look beeeutiful! A great success story!