PDA

View Full Version : Celtic Bun Thing-y

eternallyverdan
July 1st, 2009, 04:30 PM
So, I was messing around trying to figure out a hairstyle for a wedding I'm going to this month and I came up with this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/forevagreenearth/CelticBun.jpg

This one is a little lumpy, and the lighting in my bathroom makes my fuzzies stick out like sore thumbs, but I kind of like it.

What do you think?

~GypsyCurls~
July 1st, 2009, 04:33 PM
That's pretty! I'm sure you'll get lots of compliments on it. Even better if it's a Celtic-themed wedding :)

Lexibeth
July 1st, 2009, 04:57 PM
Very nice! May I ask how you did this?

coolbreeze212
July 1st, 2009, 04:59 PM
Ooohh....I like it!!

Ryanne
July 1st, 2009, 05:01 PM
That looks really neat! Have fun at the wedding.

Jessikinz
July 1st, 2009, 05:10 PM
Cool, how did you do it?

eternallyverdan
July 1st, 2009, 05:14 PM
Very nice! May I ask how you did this?

Certainly! If you've ever done a Celtic bun, it's basically a style where you "crochet" your hair. I just did two of them and pinned them straight up instead of wrapping. In more detail:

1. Put your hair in a ponytail very low on the nape of your neck
2. Divide in half and pull of side over your shoulder to save for later
3. Now, using the half that's hanging down your back, you're basically going to make a knot, but only pull the tail through a little bit-- just enough to put 2-3 fingers in.
4. Continue pulling little loops through until you've used up all of your hair.
5. On the final one, pull the tail all the way through, put it in between your hair and your head, and bobby pin all of it into place.
6. Do the same with the other side.

I'm not sure how long your hair has to be for this to work, but if it's not long enough for your tastes you can try dividing your hair into 3 parts to get a little more length out of it.

redneckprincess
July 2nd, 2009, 03:29 PM
ooooh very pretty

Longlocks3
July 2nd, 2009, 04:03 PM
I copied you today.:D

I made three 'lines' with my hair though. I like how smaller groups of hair look smoother....

But WOW this takes up TONS of length! I have 40'' of hair and even with smaller bits of hair I can only do four to five loops!

Unless you do super small bits of hair you need really long hair!

eternallyverdan
July 2nd, 2009, 04:41 PM
I copied you today.

I made three 'lines' with my hair though. I like how smaller groups of hair look smoother....

But WOW this takes up TONS of length! I have 40'' of hair and even with smaller bits of hair I can only do four to five loops!

Unless you do super small bits of hair you need really long hair!

Oooh! I'd love to see pics if you have time to get them! I sort of want to try three, but I'm afraid that my sections would get too long and eat my head.

I know what you mean about the length. When I do a regular Celtic bun with all of my hair I can only get 3-4 loops, and my hair is well on its way to knee length.

ilandree
July 3rd, 2009, 05:05 PM
This is great. Can't wait to try it!!

may1em
July 3rd, 2009, 05:20 PM
Oh, so basically you make a starting chain (as in crochet) with each half of the ponytail and pin them up. Cool!

Longlocks3
July 3rd, 2009, 06:38 PM
Oooh! I'd love to see pics if you have time to get them! I sort of want to try three, but I'm afraid that my sections would get too long and eat my head.

I know what you mean about the length. When I do a regular Celtic bun with all of my hair I can only get 3-4 loops, and my hair is well on its way to knee length.

Just for you!:D

I have some taper because of a stupid decision to have a layer when my hair was bsl, so one of my lines of hair is small than the others...

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv49/kaitlinrobertson/hair012.jpg

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv49/kaitlinrobertson/hair013.jpg

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv49/kaitlinrobertson/hair014.jpg

I really want to try a whole bun of hair lines and see how big of a bun I can make out of them.

eternallyverdan
July 6th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Oh, wow, Longlocks! I just got back from vacation today and saw these pics-- that looks gorgeous! Your hair is so smooth and shiny in this updo. What are you using to keep yours up?

I'm thinking about trying it with a bunch of smaller strands as well, but twisting them around the center for a cool swirly look.

Aditi
July 6th, 2009, 04:18 AM
The bun looks awesome, did you wear it on the wedding?

Charlotte
July 6th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Oooh... I like this celtic bun! :)

rach
July 6th, 2009, 05:17 AM
i made this? which is done differently but has the big bun look

you'd need to wrap it round the more hair you have- it would actually look more stunning with longer hair.

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/hair/SDC12267.jpg
(excused the escape strand)
dutch braid turned round and clipped in place.

don't know if that helpful or not but it i've said my peace anyway :D

eternallyverdan
July 6th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Aditi, the wedding hasn't happened yet, but I think I will wear it this way-- it's an outdoor wedding and I want something classy that will keep it off my neck so I don't roast to death.

I really like the way yours looks, Rach! It seems like updos with folded braids always give a lot of volume, which is nice when your hair is shorter. Your updo is also a good alternative for those with shorter hair who want something similar but can't do the crochet thing because it needs so much length.