PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Advice - Gentle Hair Dye?

Zopheya
July 1st, 2009, 04:06 PM
Hello, long-haired friends!

I am seeking recommendations for a gentle, healthy (ha) hair dye.

I cringe at even using the word "dye" or "color," but I need to rectify my past hair mistakes. A few months ago I went stupid, cut off a few inches and highlighted my hair.

Now, I need to start from square one and get my hair to what it used to be: thick, natural-colored and tailbone length (eventually, longer). In order to truly start over, however, I feel that I need to color my hair back to its natural shade first. I hate to do this so soon after the last color treatment, but it will take forever to let the highlights grow out and I think that my hair will look much healthier if it is one color again.

So, the question I have for all of you is, can you recommend a natural (organic?), gentle dye that won't totally wreck my hair, leaving it brittle, dry and utterly without shine? My natural color is very dark brown to black.

Help! - and many thanks in advice for spreading the wisdom!

rawgirl75
July 1st, 2009, 04:12 PM
A henna/indigo blend?

amaiaisabella
July 1st, 2009, 04:12 PM
I don't know any natural dyes, but Clairol's Loving Care is very gentle. Manderly is our resident queen on it, and I've used it a few times if you have any questions :)

GlassEyes
July 1st, 2009, 04:14 PM
A henna/indigo blend?
Or even henna/katam could work.

You may want to look to elumen for predictable results though. It's not natural, but it is deposit only, so little-to-no damage from mperoxide/ammonia.

Zopheya
July 1st, 2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys! I will check out all of those options. It is good to know that Clariol is gentle - I was considering it as an option but wasn't sure how gentle it ACTUALLY was, versus the advertising image.

curls2grow
July 1st, 2009, 07:03 PM
Before you buy Clairol, you might want to check out Robert Craig (http://www.robertcraig.com). Only downside is that it has to be mail-ordered. They have excellent customer service by e-mail or phone for any questions prior to ordering or after. I use the Clear approx. every 8-12 weeks.