PDA

View Full Version : why is it....? do you ever feel this way?

redneckprincess
July 1st, 2009, 10:39 AM
That when I see other members with hair measuring 16-19" long it just looks to me that they seem ALOT longer then my 18"?

Maybe its my perception, or just my everyday wave thats not worked straighter to get a leingth shot that dosent get photographed? Or maybe I'm not measuring correct?

I guess I was just wondering...is it just me, or do others feel this same way...

patience
July 1st, 2009, 10:41 AM
They could have a shorter torso than you. My length would look totally different on a 6 footer (I'm 5'3")

thankyousir74
July 1st, 2009, 10:47 AM
They also might not have an updated measurement. I sure know that I haven't measured it again, I kinda wanna reach APL before I measure :3

swanns
July 1st, 2009, 10:47 AM
I know exactly what you mean. A lot of people with hair even inches shorter than mine seem to me to have hair a lot longer than mine. And I'm really not that tall (5ft7), so I've just come to the conclusion it's all in my head. :rolleyes: Also, thick hair tends to look shorter than thinner hair.

Fencai
July 1st, 2009, 10:49 AM
OOO.. I go through this too!!! Its part of the reason I stopped measuring! (that and the fact that I was always getting a different number because of my waves)
But, yeah I hear ya!!!!

Kiraela
July 1st, 2009, 11:02 AM
Oh yes, I feel that way all the time. Other people with around 36" hair look so LONG! But on me it still feels and looks way too short. :/

HairColoredHair
July 1st, 2009, 11:16 AM
Smaller head, shorter neck, shorter torso, shorter legs, etc, all make hair look longer...

Part of the reason I go by landmarks now.

lapushka
July 1st, 2009, 11:24 AM
I'm at 19.7 inches now and in the pic my hair's at least about half an inch shorter (hasn't been updated for a while).
I have a short neck, as you can see in the first sigpic, so there you go. ;)
I'll be reaching BSL at 24.4 inches.
I'm 5.7 with a really short torso (but long legs).
Some of us have to be a lot more patient, I guess... :shrug:

Heidi_234
July 1st, 2009, 11:40 AM
I know exactly what you mean. A lot of people with hair even inches shorter than mine seem to me to have hair a lot longer than mine. And I'm really not that tall (5ft7), so I've just come to the conclusion it's all in my head. :rolleyes: Also, thick hair tends to look shorter than thinner hair.
I'd have to disagree with you. I've some member who had hair with thinning ends, and after they trimmed it some it was much thicker looking, and it looked longer despite the trim.
But I agree, other people's hair tends to look longer for some reason. I always eye waist length hair and think to myself "whoa that's long" while my hair is actually longer, but I don't consider my hair as long. It's weird, but it happens. Some lengths do tend to look longer than they feel, like waist length for example. I started a thread ago asking how can we convince ourselves that we do have long hair, but more people said they feel the same, rather than answer the question.

redneckprincess
July 1st, 2009, 11:59 AM
I'm at 19.7 inches now and in the pic my hair's at least about half an inch shorter (hasn't been updated for a while).
I have a short neck, as you can see in the first sigpic, so there you go. ;)
I'll be reaching BSL at 24.4 inches.
I'm 5.7 with a really short torso (but long legs).
Some of us have to be a lot more patient, I guess... :shrug:
your is the exact person I was talking about at that moment, lol the longer pic in your siggy just seems sooo much longer then mine (I'm 5'6") I had to ask my DD12..."is my hair as long as this ladies?" maybe it id depending on how I hold my head...and I still have alot of face framing layers near the front...maybe thats it..

concrescence
July 1st, 2009, 12:06 PM
I think this, too, about some of the hair I see with comparable measurements to mine (especially when they say that they can also do hairstyles that I can't yet). I think this is caused by how low on the forehead your hair starts, how big your head is, how long your neck is, and other body proportion differences. I also think this is most noticeable at our length ( chin to above BSL).

Ryanne
July 1st, 2009, 12:17 PM
I have absolutely no perception of measured length, most things being in inches here isn't helping either, so I hardly look at the numbers. But I guess it all depends on the length differences/combination of body parts.

swanns
July 1st, 2009, 12:21 PM
I'd have to disagree with you. I've some member who had hair with thinning ends, and after they trimmed it some it was much thicker looking, and it looked longer despite the trim.
But I agree, other people's hair tends to look longer for some reason. I always eye waist length hair and think to myself "whoa that's long" while my hair is actually longer, but I don't consider my hair as long. It's weird, but it happens. Some lengths do tend to look longer than they feel, like waist length for example. I started a thread ago asking how can we convince ourselves that we do have long hair, but more people said they feel the same, rather than answer the question.

I was thinking hair that is just thinner over all, not just ends. You know, the kind of hair that sort of rests on your back beautifully instead of going places and being super puffy. :) I do agree that when someone has thinned ends trimmed of their hair can actually look longer.

swanns
July 1st, 2009, 12:23 PM
I have absolutely no perception of measured length, most things being in inches here isn't helping either, so I hardly look at the numbers. But I guess it all depends on the length differences/combination of body parts.

Ha, inches used to confuse the heck out of me as well but I'm so used to talking about inches when talking about hair lenght now that if someone told me their hair was, say, 87cm long, I'd have no idea what that lenght might look like :D

RancheroTheBee
July 1st, 2009, 12:41 PM
I don't even use the traditional measurements because my layers are so short in the back that it's confusing. Plus, my head is super long, I guess, so it always looks short anyway.

I just picked some layers in the front to measure if I want to keep track of growth.

Heidi_234
July 1st, 2009, 01:07 PM
I was thinking hair that is just thinner over all, not just ends. You know, the kind of hair that sort of rests on your back beautifully instead of going places and being super puffy. :) I do agree that when someone has thinned ends trimmed of their hair can actually look longer.
As a fellow curly wurly I can feel your frustration. All that frizzy mess of a hair! :rolleyes: But it got better when I stopped worked against the natural pattern or comb it out. On the other hand, when it lays nicely in waves it does look 'thinner' but not longer, just more see though. :shrug:

lyria
July 1st, 2009, 01:10 PM
I would also suggest that it may just be a height difference. At 29" long and 5' 10" tall, I am still about 3-4 inches from my waist, but there are others here who have a similar length and are already at waist! I agree that it can be frustrating, but your hair is beautiful and you will get there!

teela1978
July 1st, 2009, 02:10 PM
I think it mostly has to do with head size. You've just got a bigger brain :) (well... probably not, but a bigger skull from the front of your hairline back). I often wonder what numbers would be if we measured from our napes instead... I suppose that can be even more fluctuating.

ETA: Also, I think a lot of us don't really bother measuring all that often but put new pictures up a lot (because that's fun). So measurements can be off... mine is probably 3 months before my avatar...

enfys
July 2nd, 2009, 03:06 PM
Quite a few people measure wrongly/differently too, either like Ranchero to make it easier for themselves, or just because they don't know we measure over the head.

If there are bigger differences, more than a few inches, that could be why.

neon-dream
July 2nd, 2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah height has a huge impact.
The only advantage of being as tall as me is that it takes ages for my hair to reach milestones! Hah

jojo
July 2nd, 2009, 03:56 PM
Funny you should post this, I always think that too and was only yesterday discussing this with Lora. She is like 1 inch longer than me yet hers looks super long!

It must be body propotions or maybe hair anorexia!

jojo
July 2nd, 2009, 03:59 PM
I think it mostly has to do with head size. You've just got a bigger brain :) (well... probably not, but a bigger skull from the front of your hairline back). I often wonder what numbers would be if we measured from our napes instead... I suppose that can be even more fluctuating.

ETA: Also, I think a lot of us don't really bother measuring all that often but put new pictures up a lot (because that's fun). So measurements can be off... mine is probably 3 months before my avatar...
mmm.. speaking as Lady of the pumkin head appreciation society AKA PHAS that makes sense and with my giraffe neck to boot, its all against me!

ReddishRocks
July 2nd, 2009, 05:39 PM
Smaller head, shorter neck, shorter torso, shorter legs, etc, all make hair look longer...

Part of the reason I go by landmarks now.

Ditto. My hair pattern at different times of year even effects my perception of my length... It's the trend that counts I think. ;)

JamieLeigh
July 2nd, 2009, 07:23 PM
Could be a lot of things - a couple of people on here don't measure from the front hairline, they just measure from the crown down and don't count the rest as length. (If I did this, I wouldn't be at 42 5/8", I'd be at 36" or so) Also, everyone's necks and other body parts are all different sizes and lengths. Classic hits me between 41 & 42", but others have to get to 44 or 45" to get here. And like someone else posted earlier in the thread, lots of us are behind on updating the info under our usernames. I don't even keep up with it most of the time. It's all relative. :)

hellkitty
July 3rd, 2009, 09:40 AM
I agree with what others have said. My hair to be classic length had to be 43 inches. One (rough) way you can divide people is by long torso (with short legs) and short torso (with long legs). I'm long torso. If I sit in a chair and bring a foot up onto that chair, my knee is about at the top of my bustline. Short torso'd gals have knees almost equal to their shoulders!

With a long torso and a long neck, even body part measurements get distressing. Still, I say to myself I'm closing in on FOUR FEET of hair! That's awesome by anyone's standard.

HK

shadowclaw
July 3rd, 2009, 10:27 AM
I've noticed this a lot too. When I first joined LHC, I would look at everyone's info as I read through the posts and I would constantly be like, "What? How is that possible?" My hair is a little longer than BSL right now, and I'll see pictures of other people with length in the range of BSL, but their measurements seem quite a bit different. I'll also see people with the same measurement as me, and it will be either significantly shorter or longer than mine.

I've accepted that there must be differences in body part sizes and torso lengths, although I admit, I never took the start of the hairline into account.

Speckla
July 3rd, 2009, 10:47 AM
I'm at 22.5" and my hair is sometimes a few inches above my shoulders...oh wait, I have curly hair..sorry, sometimes I forget. :)
I'd say stop comparing and just enjoy your own hair. I used to be able to make a decent bun at this length but that's when I had layers. Thicker hair = harder to do some styles for me.
Your sock bun is totally amazing. I want to try it (thanks Glasseyes) but I'm afraid that it will look like a frizzy bump.