PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed in Milestone?

Islandgrrl
July 1st, 2009, 08:02 AM
Here's my question.....have you ever been disappointed when you reached a milestone you longed for? One that you thought would be a Really Big Deal?

I've reached waist. I thought I'd be thrilled, but I'm not. I thought at waist I'd have enough length to do more of the so-cool updos I drool over, but it's just not happening.

Waist seems, if anything, to be an awkward length for me and I'm hugely disappointed.

SimplyViki
July 1st, 2009, 08:16 AM
Me too! I'm right there with you. I'm at waist and it's just kind of ho-hum for me... maybe more cool updos at hip? Or classic? We'll see. I know what you mean about the length seeming awkward. It's so tempting to run into a salon sometimes, and just beg them to give me some "shape" or something while threatening under pain of death to not remove length, LOL.

SpecialKitty
July 1st, 2009, 08:25 AM
Islandgrrl - first things first - CONGRATULATIONS on reaching waist! You've reached a milestone and that deserves a little celebration. Maybe you could celebrate by wearing your hair down for a bit just to enjoy it? I understand awkward lengths - I'm at one right now. Because your hair is so thick, it makes sense that many updos, even with waist-length hair, would still be hard to manage. I'm sorry you are disappointed, though.

Raederle
July 1st, 2009, 08:26 AM
Here's my question.....have you ever been disappointed when you reached a milestone you longed for? One that you thought would be a Really Big Deal?

I've reached waist. I thought I'd be thrilled, but I'm not. I thought at waist I'd have enough length to do more of the so-cool updos I drool over, but it's just not happening.

Waist seems, if anything, to be an awkward length for me and I'm hugely disappointed.

I think I know what you mean. After all, it's not as though you go from BSL to waist overnight. The change occurs gradually, so it kind of makes sense that there's not a huge transitional difference.

That said, I've read others with thick hair such as yours point out that they need extra length to do the same styles that ii's can do at a given length.

Heidi_234
July 1st, 2009, 09:05 AM
Waist looks longer than it is. But the great thing about this milestone is that all the fun begins when you reach it. You'll be hip in no time, BCL follows... It's not the long count from BSL to Waist anymore.
I do agree with what is said above me, people with thick hair need even more length to be able to do certain updo's. On the bright side, when they manage to, it looks twice as impressive. :D

Tabitha
July 1st, 2009, 09:14 AM
I had pretty much the same when I reached waist. The excitement of reaching my goal rapidly wore off but I let it grow for a few months longer until I decided it was more trouble than it was worth, and didn't actually flatter me when it was down.

I looked at some old photos and decided to chop back, now I'm at BSL and much happier with it. Although I seem to have lost my updo-fu somewhere along the way, it deserted me at waist and despite several cuts and more/less layering, I haven't managed to get it back.

I see your hairtype is rather similar to mine, give or take a touch of waviness.

bakertwins2004
July 1st, 2009, 09:27 AM
Awe! Congrats on your milestone. I would LOVE to be where you are now. Good news is it's still growing. You'll get where you want to be.

longhairedfairy
July 1st, 2009, 09:40 AM
In some ways. I'm really happy that I've reached TB, but I don't like that my ends are so see-through.

Well done, reaching waist.:)

GlennaGirl
July 1st, 2009, 10:04 AM
I was at very close to BSL a little over a year ago and somehow it didn't look as long as I was expecting. I don't know...it wasn't as "wow!" as I was hoping.

amaiaisabella
July 1st, 2009, 10:07 AM
I haven't had hair longer than shoulder length since I was 16, and I thought APL would feel so long. If anything, it feels like a halfway point! I do hope BSL will feel long enough :)

jojo
July 1st, 2009, 10:13 AM
I find it frustrating getting from BSL to waist but im betting I will still find that length frustrating too, funny lot aint we?

nienna42
July 1st, 2009, 10:13 AM
Hehehe heh. I've yet to find a milestone very exciting. >_> Tailbone is pretty nice, but I still can't do that many updos, and it still doesn't feel that long, somehow. This was my ultimate goal when I joined LHC.

Congratulations on reaching waist, even if you're finding it disappointing. ;)

Islandgrrl
July 1st, 2009, 10:18 AM
What great replies! Thank you so much!! :) It's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels a bit of a letdown.

My disappointment doesn't really have anything to do with how long it isn't, but rather that all the uber cool updos are still inaccessible to me. I can't manage a simple figure 8....STILL. Forget about a Chinese bun (although I think that one may be more related to a lack of sufficient coordination on my part). :o

I had somehow convinced myself that by the time I got to waist I'd be doing more than the average cinnamon bun. I guess I'll have to wait for hip!

I do agree that APL to BSL was HUGE, though. And that BSL to waist sort of sneaked up on me.

Thank you for the congratulations, everyone! :happydance:

And, amaiaisabella, is there really a "long enough?"

Islandgrrl
July 1st, 2009, 10:22 AM
I find it frustrating getting from BSL to waist but im betting I will still find that length frustrating too, funny lot aint we?

Yeah, I guess we are a funny lot!

Jojo, I haven't seen you around in ages! I'm so happy to see you here today!

dorothea-brooke
July 1st, 2009, 10:23 AM
Me too, islandgrrl! For me, the issue was that even though my hair is now at waist unstretched, it just doesn't look that long to me. I don't think an "amateur" (non-LHCer) would even call it waist-length -- most people would call someone's hair "waist-length" when it's actually more like TB. (People have no idea where waists are! :laugh:)

So I still don't feel like I have very long-looking hair.... :( Oh well, the only answer is to keep growing! I hope you feel more comfortable at the next milestone! :flower:

SpinDance
July 1st, 2009, 10:25 AM
I always wanted my hair down past my bum, but was disappointed that my hair thinned out so much past my waist. It got very thin at TB length. I had those fairy tails cut back above my waist a couple of months ago. I am hoping that it will be thicker as it regrows now that I'm no longer stripping the scales off with molded plastic combs.

I have been shocked that a single stick is now my preferred method of holding a bun. There are many of the lovely buns and styles that I'm not able to do yet. I hope as the length comes back that I'll be able to try them.

ZadenWillowfyre
July 1st, 2009, 10:34 AM
I can definatley understand. I love it when its down (am in between waist and hipish I think) but it's so think it's still hard to do anything with! It's just motivation to keep on growing!

Kiraela
July 1st, 2009, 10:59 AM
Firstly, Congrats on reaching waist!!

I do know all about not being able to do the updos you want - tbe ones that i/ii's can do 5", or even 10" shorter than we can, sometimes... Here at past-TB, I'm not long enough to do the really long styles, and too long for a lot of the shorthair styles! (I will never be able to do a french twist. I have accepted this now. Grrr.)

Juneii
July 1st, 2009, 11:03 AM
yup, you're not alone. I just reached waist as well. didn't even notice until I wore my dress and realized my hair is resting on the ribbon tied around my waist.

I thought it would have been amazing, last year I was telling myself, okay, I'm at APL by this time next year I'm gonna be at waist! only to realize that it still doesn't do much..

congrats on reaching waist,

hip length here I come! :]

darkwaves
July 1st, 2009, 11:38 AM
Waist is odd for me, too. It just bounces there, and looks weirdly mid-back. I know it`s waist--but even to me it looks shorter than that, even when I have my hands perched on my waist as proof. I think that`s because it`s well above, for example, the ``waist`` of my jeans.

Most people would call someone's hair "waist-length" when it's actually more like TB. (People have no idea where waists are! :laugh:) So true. Well, I`m still growing, so maybe TB will be more dramatic!

And Islandgrrl, I feel your pain about not being able to do the dramatic updos! That`s the downside of having thick hair. I still can`t do a figure 8, either, but my hair compacts enough that I can finally do Karen Lynn`s knot, which I`ve been trying for since BSL.

dorothea-brooke
July 1st, 2009, 12:07 PM
It just bounces there, and looks weirdly mid-back.

"Looks weirdly mid-back"! :laugh: That'e exactly it!

The other day I was hanging out with some friends, and had my hair up in a Ficcare. So one of them said, "Hey, how long is your hair now, anyway? Let's see it!" So I sort of (fake-modestly) said, "Oh, it's waist-length now...." and took it down, shook it out, and turned around. And he actually snorted and said "Empire-waist maybe!"

:oops: So, yeah, I think only LHCer's really understand what "waist" means. For the rest of the world, we have to be TB in order to look waist-length. Sigh....

swanns
July 1st, 2009, 12:14 PM
I've never had an actual goal - I always just wanted long hair (until recently - now I'm thinking classic will be where I'll finally be happy with it, although I'll gladly grow longer if it still grows). The thing is, if the short-haired 16-year-old me had seen the lenght of my hair even two years ago I'd have been thrilled with the lenght! How ever, two years ago I wasn't happy with it at all. And I'm still not. It keeps getting longer but I still feels very short. I'm really hoping I'll finally find it long at classic.

ETA: Oh and I used to be one of those people who had no idea where waist is :D I only figured it out when I was already at hip.

enfys
July 1st, 2009, 02:02 PM
Waist is rubbish. I was looking forward to it too, but I decided waist length is over rated.

Roll on hip. I still won't be happy until I'm at fingertip without layers, but I'm thinking anything after this will get better.

mhiap
July 1st, 2009, 02:05 PM
My main goal was BSL but when I got there it was fairly anticlimactic!

I was so much happier when I got from chin length to shoulder length than when I reached BSL. Now it's almost at waist and I keep wanting to cut it :shrug: Maybe it's just because my ends are a bit dry but I feel like it's at an awkward length. I don't really know what my next goal is. Maybe I'll just never be happy with it!

amaiaisabella
July 1st, 2009, 02:06 PM
And, amaiaisabella, is there really a "long enough?"

I'm thinking not :D

AmyJorgensen
July 1st, 2009, 02:20 PM
Sorry it isn't as exciting as you thought. I went through a similar disappointment that I had hair that others stated was long enough for certain do's, but I found that my thickness really hindered things. Well, it can be a pain, but try to be happy your hair is thick. I'm sure some people would trade ability to do styles for increased thickness.

Bunnyhare
July 1st, 2009, 05:14 PM
Oh I am so happy for you to be at a goal! and sorry you are disappointed, perhaps your thickness needs a little length to get those long updos..don't give up, maybe just a little more then you'll just whip those newer styles out! You are doing the updo challenge,right? *HUG* hang in there! your hair is so beautiful!

coolbreeze212
July 1st, 2009, 05:37 PM

I understand you feel disappointed with your newest length...but I wanted to say "congrats" anyhow...waist is my next goal and I'm chompin' at the bit to get there!!!

Koala Kim
July 1st, 2009, 05:41 PM
Congratulations on reaching waist! :cheese:

And yes- to echo others who have already posted- I did feel somewhat disappointed when I first hit waist.
It seemed like such a magical milestone, you know? :shrug:

lora410
July 1st, 2009, 05:44 PM
1" to go here and dissapointed. It doesn't feel long to me and my bun isn't huge like I hope dit would be..LOL

MomoKoNoHanna
July 1st, 2009, 07:47 PM
Congrats on your growth! Wish I was there :) Oh well I will get there soon. Maybe you should compare your hair from the past? Maybe that will make it more significant? I reach my first goal (collar length *just*) and I am not overly thrilled even though it can be tied back into a ponytail (mini). Maybe give yourself a hair treat to celebrate? Hehe thats what I would do ;)

Roseate
July 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM
It's funny, the last time I grew my hair out I had no goal in mind, and each new length I reached seemed fun and exciting, and a little surprising, since I wasn't really waiting for anything to happen.

This time I'm so eagerly awaiting various goals that I think I kind of set myself up for disappointment- nothing really happens at goal lengths, you creep up on them a millimeter at a time, so there's not really a dramatic fanfare.

Also, waist was a very blah length for me, seems it's often a tough length for thick-haired folks.

Sheltie_Momma
July 1st, 2009, 09:05 PM
rambling....I didn't really know about milestones until a few months ago when I came here, but it gives me a lot of satisfaction to tie certain lengths with certain memories and family photographs. Like when I was pregnant in 2004 my hair was layered above shoulders - very "styled". By Summer of 2007 I am hugely pregnant with second child in our family pictures and my hair was APL, without bangs. My children have never known with anything other than long hair, they marvel at the pictures of me and Daddy in Amsterdam when I had a pixie cut with little bangs. I don't know if this way of thinking will help you or not, but it helps me.

My hair is so wavy and so thick that it seems like grows out 5 inches for every 1 inch it appears to grow down. It's only when looking at it over 4-5 years that I can really appreciate it. Someday I WILL be able to do neat buns, and they will be HUGE that's what I keep hoping for anyway....

hennaphile
July 2nd, 2009, 03:30 AM
Yes. I hardly noticed when I reached TB because it was so thin :(

Jezzie
July 2nd, 2009, 04:26 AM
First congrads on meeting waist. That's my goal after BSL. I can understand your disappointment. I'm looking forward to reaching waist but I know (if I don't become obsessed with hair measuring lol) that I probably wont even realise it's there. Last time my hair was at waist I didn't even notice till I needed it styled for a formal and my hairdresser told me she'd need 4 packets of rollers (with 10 rollers to each packet) because my hair was so long. I literally did the "oh really? yeah I suppose it has gotten long!". Even now when I look at photos from that time of my life I think wow was my hair really that long? I didn't feel long.

Natalia
July 2nd, 2009, 04:41 AM
After just realizing last night that i might be true waist i understadn what you mean. The updoes i can do i like and i am happy with my selection. The only thing i am dissapointed about (if iam in fact at waist) is that my ends are so this. I know i have been shedding and have thin hair anyway but i like my natural hemline right now and im sad its not as thick as it could (or i feel it should) be. Another sad thing is my ends do in fact need a trim as much as i like to remain in denial about that i cant for much longer. Which means i will be losing length and will probably be back above waist again :(.... Ive never been this long so having to give up length already is depressing

Curlsgirl
July 2nd, 2009, 06:15 AM
At first I was surprised that you all can't do a figure 8 when I have been able to do it with my thick hair for quite sometime but then I realized waist is 34 inches for me and shorter for others because of my long back waist length. :o

Anyway, that said, my hair is also at an awkward length. I miss my "cute" updos at BSL and shorter and I thought waist would be so different and fun and dramatic! Silly I guess because like some said it's not as if you go from BSL to waist overnight! In fact, it took me what seemed like forever! And still with my wurls, I am not quite there when dry usually and that will be still a while to go. :rolleyes:

Also with this summer weather I can't really wear it down much to enjoy the length, WAY TOO HOT! So I am stuck with braids and figure 8s. I don't really like buns and like you all said it's still too short with the thickness for much more. Still I feel like I have so much HAIR!! I am glad my ends are still thick though, that's one good thing. Think positive!! Right? :D