PDA

View Full Version : How much do I cut?!

ttubabe
June 30th, 2009, 09:41 PM
So I'm fairly new to LHC and have read amazing things and I absolutely love it here. I am in need of your help however!
I scheduled a trim for the 17th of July and after I clarified the other day to diagnose my hair (which I don't think I did properly) I noticed I had horrible split ends. I'm using a coney conditioner so it hides them pretty well but the more I looked at my ends and gently pulled on the strands they would just snap off. I was so depressed!!! I'm a curly girl about a 3C and my hair's just about half an inch above my tail bone. I love my length but I have a feeling that I'm going to have to cut off at least 2 inches to get rid of the damage.

I'm using up the last of my coney stuff very soon and I'm thinking of going CO without cones and doing my coconut oil treatments twice a week instead of just once a week like I am now. Does anyone have any other suggestions to help repair my hair so I won't have to cut that much off? I noticed the other day that I had splits and a little further up I had the little white little dot. My hair grows pretty fast and my stylist is really good about not cutting too much off but I figured I could get the best advice from all the people on here.

Bene
June 30th, 2009, 09:48 PM
is your hair at tailbone while curly or pulled straight?

ttubabe
June 30th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Pulled straight. Sorry I should have put that :p.

OhioLisa
June 30th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Well, you can't repair breakage or splits really, so you're going to have to eventually cut them off to be rid of them. Whether you want to cut more now, or do it in stages is up to you. :shrug: (Gee, I'm of no help, eh?)

Bene
June 30th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Pulled straight. Sorry I should have put that :p.

what is roughly your length when you let it go curly?

the reason i'm asking this is because it pretty much comes down to "how much of your length are you willing to lose"

like ohiolisa said, there's no mending damaged hair. you have to decide what is more important. if you just want to manage non-damaged hair, then chop off the damage. if you want to maintain length, then small trims here and there. one way or another, that damage has to go bye bye.

or, you can keep using cones until your hair is longer and you can cut back then. the problem with that is, you'll be debating a big chop vs micro trims then too.

Longlocks3
June 30th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I'm going to try to talk you out of a big cut!

I have straight tailbone length hair. I have split ends. Some as short as above my shoulders, and bunches inbetween. I do S&Ding(search and destroy split ends). I don't get them all but it's also hard to have a big cut all at once.

Plus I love curly hair, since I never will have it myself. I bet no one else will see the bad ends as much as you do, also you can keep it up more. That will help with future damage!

Madame J
June 30th, 2009, 10:10 PM
When you run your hands down the length of your hair, do you feel a point where your hair feels different than the rest? My husband, at his last trim, had about about 1/2" of fried ends and you could clearly feel the difference as you ran your hands down his hair. Wherever you start feeling a noticeable difference is probably where you should cut. You'll have to clarify again to get rid of the 'cones since they'll hide this demarcation. Good luck.

RancheroTheBee
July 1st, 2009, 06:29 AM
If the damage is really two inches up the shaft of the hair, I say go for it. If your hair grows quickly, it will be back to TB in no time at all. Normally, I would suggest a microtrim, but if the damage is going higher up on your hair, you may as well trim it off before it just starts self-trimming.

Good luck! Keep us updated.

And welcome. :flower:

jojo
July 1st, 2009, 06:45 AM
Id say cut the damamged bits off, 2" is hardly anything at your length to lose and it will need cutting off eventually. I recently had the same ends as you describe, my hair was not growing just breaking off. Now just a month after having the cut (1" or just over) my hair is easier to comb and its growing again.

Its up to you at the end of the day, and it boils down to which you prefer length or healthier hair? You can disguise the ends with cones if you decide not to cut the 2" and just dust.

Its a tough call eh? good luck whatever you choose. x