PDA

View Full Version : How long will it take you to achieve your hair goals?

Pages : 1 [2]

blackgothicdoll
February 22nd, 2021, 09:38 AM
Now that I've completed my 2-3 year journey of getting rid of dye, heat damage, and bad layers, I feel like I'm ready to just let it grow again. My goal is hip stretched, so I'm thinking maybe 3 years? I feel bad because I lost three years due to the growing out/cutting out of damage, so it feels like it's never going to happen for me. I hope it does, though.

MusicalSpoons
February 23rd, 2021, 10:27 AM
Shoo(p-be-do-be-do-)ing the gremlins away ...

FaeBroom
February 23rd, 2021, 10:34 AM
@blackgothicdoll You've completed such a huge goal though, don't get so bogged down into hair regret that you forget that! Starting with a clean slate must be so refreshing, and for me it'll take years to feel that. But it feels nice to commit to the journey, finally. I can't wait to be where you are right now, despite the time it took to cut out the damage (:

bparnell75
February 23rd, 2021, 11:50 AM
I've already been there to classic and cut back 6 inches, growing to classic again but the ends don;t seem to be much thicker than last time.

lapushka
February 23rd, 2021, 12:10 PM
I've already been there to classic and cut back 6 inches, growing to classic again but the ends don;t seem to be much thicker than last time.

Have patience. It can take a couple years for thickness to travel down. If your thickest bits are, say, at BSL, that is still going to take a while.

beha
February 24th, 2021, 02:32 AM
My current goal is classic. It's at hip now so I estimate a year and a half.

GordonMurphella
February 24th, 2021, 02:43 AM
I agree with blackgothicdoll, too.

GordonMurphElla, are you around MBL now? I’m also aiming to hit waist, but I reckon it will be by the end of the summer.

I am, through no fault of my own :) Benign neglect/willful ignorance and being in my house but for one day a week over the last year. And my hair grows wicked fast this time of year. We'll get there!

Lyanna
February 24th, 2021, 04:20 AM
For now, I think I'd like to achieve mid-thigh length, so many years for sure if I want to have nice ends and length. But for a closer milestone like classic, I think 3 years is realistic (still seems really far away though! ;) )

Siv
February 24th, 2021, 05:10 AM
Hm I hit TBL last november and back then I guestimated that I'd reach CL by next november. Haven't measured since then so I'll stick with probably november 2021. BCL was my original goal, I'm just continuing growing because of hair boredom at this point.

blackgothicdoll
February 27th, 2021, 05:55 PM
@blackgothicdoll You've completed such a huge goal though, don't get so bogged down into hair regret that you forget that! Starting with a clean slate must be so refreshing, and for me it'll take years to feel that. But it feels nice to commit to the journey, finally. I can't wait to be where you are right now, despite the time it took to cut out the damage (:

Sorry I'm terrible at replying to people! Thank you for the encouragement! Yes I can definitely say it's a lot easier now that I have no cutting to think about. As a note for you, there are some people who successfully grow out dye or other forms of damage without drastic cuts!

Good luck to yourself as well :o

Laurel Rose
February 27th, 2021, 07:33 PM
My current goal is TBL with a blunt U hemline. From there, who knows? I've got 3-4 years until my shortest pieces reach and will continue to trim the bottom every 6mo until they catch up. I have old layers too but those are only ~4" up so they should be gone relatively soon.

GoddesJourney
February 27th, 2021, 11:25 PM
I'm at butt crack and I would like to try classic just once. Maybe another two years if I'm lucky. That said, they just changed the shampoo and conditioner that was working really well for me so I may get set back a long time if new products cause damage. I won't grow my hair longer if I don't love my hair and if it gets destroyed it doesn't exactly magically repair. I could lose years of growth if I don't find something good, quick.

GordonMurphella
February 28th, 2021, 02:37 AM
I'm at butt crack and I would like to try classic just once. Maybe another two years if I'm lucky. That said, they just changed the shampoo and conditioner that was working really well for me so I may get set back a long time if new products cause damage. I won't grow my hair longer if I don't love my hair and if it gets destroyed it doesn't exactly magically repair. I could lose years of growth if I don't find something good, quick.

What were you using GoddessJourney? Maybe there's a twin-ish product out there for you. For the record, been there done that with a few products over the years.

GoddesJourney
February 28th, 2021, 04:55 AM
I was using Maui Moisture (purple bottle). It has shea butter and macadamia oil. I've never had or seen another product like it. Not sure what they did to it but it's clearly a different product. It still has mostly the same ingredients but the end result is not even close.

GordonMurphella
February 28th, 2021, 05:21 AM
I was using Maui Moisture (purple bottle). It has shea butter and macadamia oil. I've never had or seen another product like it. Not sure what they did to it but it's clearly a different product. It still has mostly the same ingredients but the end result is not even close.

Ah, never used any of the Maui products so I can't help. But I do commiserate, if that counts! Good luck.

BuddhaBelle
February 28th, 2021, 05:46 AM
I've found myself one of those hair growth calculators so I know when I will achieve my next goal. My current ultimate goal is classic, but these are my in-between goals and when I'll achieve them:

Waist - October 2021
TB - September 2022
Classic - January 2024

Let's see if these are accuture! :confused:

Megaira
February 28th, 2021, 08:28 AM
I just got my last buzz cut to get rid of 3 bleached inches and I'd like to get to waist length - this should take around 4 years for wet / stretched hair, maybe 6 months longer due to hair structure.

ArtOfNoot
March 1st, 2021, 12:45 AM
I still have 7.5" left before my overall goal length, if I can manage another no-trim year, I think I can make my goal in a little more than a year

Moon_Rabbit
March 2nd, 2021, 12:06 PM
I'm about 20 cm from TBL so it should take a bit under 2 years.

constancev18
June 24th, 2021, 04:51 PM
It took me 6 years to reach my TBL goal and I started with shoulder length hair, but it took about a year of those 6 for me to figure things out. Back then it was learning not to damage the ends but my thickness was good. Now it's the opposite but medication is helping and new growth is not chin length. Maybe 4 inches. So, I think it may still take 6 years for the thicker hair since I have the protective styling down. Probably 2 years for the thinner hair to reach TBL.

I'm revising from 6yrs to 3yrs. Showing a bit more care is paying off although 3yrs could be ambitious. Hopeful!

momof3mary
June 24th, 2021, 05:28 PM
5 years. I started my own challenge for myself that I won't cut for 5 years from today. I'll only allow s&d once it gets long enough for me to actually see my ends. Every time I cut my hair I end up with a buzz cut again, so I'm done with cutting my hair.

foreveryours
June 24th, 2021, 05:36 PM
Longer than I've been growing

Bat
June 24th, 2021, 08:33 PM
Pretty sure it will take 10 years for me lol

Eastbound&Down
June 24th, 2021, 08:47 PM
About 2 more years to get to hip, then I'll maintain for at least a year.

ArtOfNoot
June 24th, 2021, 09:03 PM
I think I'll crest hip by this year, I actually used to think hip would be too long for me but wl still feels like bsl to me! So grow, I shall :shrug:

Diana Prince
June 24th, 2021, 11:46 PM
At least 4 years. If I never cut my hair, I'll get there in 3 years, but I will definitely do some trims in the meantime.

0xalis
June 25th, 2021, 12:46 AM
Honestly... I have no idea. I should be at APL by the end of the year if all goes well, but beyond that... it's a mystery!
I'm starting from buzzed, and my last buzz was in May of 2019. My goal being classic... that's gotta take at least 6 years from start to finish, but probably more.
I've already had one major trim from bottom-of-neck back to chin length, so it really does all depend on how many trims I need to get there with a decent hemline,
that's why I won't bother measuring my hair and estimating based on how many 6 inch segments there are between now and then.

purple_omelette
June 25th, 2021, 03:00 AM
2.5, maybe 3 years. I want to get to knee, and after that, probably maintain :) but I'm happy with my current length too!

Iyashikei
June 25th, 2021, 05:26 AM
About two years, with an error marge of six months. My hair does seem to grow pretty quick but I like my hemline to look neat at all costs, so I get a trim every three months.

Bat
June 25th, 2021, 05:32 AM
5 years. I started my own challenge for myself that I won't cut for 5 years from today. I'll only allow s&d once it gets long enough for me to actually see my ends. Every time I cut my hair I end up with a buzz cut again, so I'm done with cutting my hair.

Maybe I should try and join you I’ll be maintaining my sides and bangs until I get sick of them

momof3mary
June 25th, 2021, 08:07 AM
Maybe I should try and join you I’ll be maintaining my sides and bangs until I get sick of them

5 year no cut challenge is on!!

shutterpillar
June 25th, 2021, 08:13 AM
Oh geez, probably 3 years.

aloewurly
June 25th, 2021, 03:50 PM
I'm not sure how I want to go about my goals. Once I reach some sort of mid-back agreement I'll mantain for a few months or so to get rid of the oldest ends, and then grow onwards to hip (which will probably be longer, because wurls). So this whole process... I estimate it will take 4 or 5 years if I'm lucky.

JasminxCat
June 25th, 2021, 05:46 PM
If I keep obsessing over my ends, 5+ years. If I just let it do its thing, 2 years

Nox_Inber
June 26th, 2021, 10:39 AM
For waist I'm expecting 6 months, possibly a year if I decide to prioritize my hemline. I've been thinking about tailbone as my ultimate long hair end goal and I'm expecting that one to take a minimum 2 of years.

sipnsun
June 26th, 2021, 06:44 PM
Since I'm a slow grower I'm not sure I'll make it but I hope to reach TBL by Christmas 2022.

ZoeZ
June 26th, 2021, 06:53 PM
I'm hoping for tailbone by the end of next year - so i.5 years.

_Melly_
June 27th, 2021, 09:10 AM
The longest section of my hair is just brushing the back of my neck, so for bra strap length (current goal, may change) probably a year or two?

Solovey
June 27th, 2021, 03:26 PM
It's about 15" to go so if I'm lucky maybe 1.5/2 years away?

Arciela
June 27th, 2021, 09:52 PM
I honestly have no idea, my hair has been maintained at my waist for a while now to cut out damage and the icky hair from my huge shed I had in December.

I want it really long, at least to my thighs, so I expect it to take quite some time!

Bat
June 28th, 2021, 03:13 AM
5 year no cut challenge is on!!
good luck! I'll be surprised if I can even do 6 months but I'll keep you company anyway

momof3mary
June 28th, 2021, 10:04 AM
good luck! I'll be surprised if I can even do 6 months but I'll keep you company anyway
My son told me there's no way I'll make it that long😂 I told him he's supposed to encourage me not tell me I can't! He just smiled at me.

Bat
June 28th, 2021, 10:57 AM
My son told me there's no way I'll make it that long�� I told him he's supposed to encourage me not tell me I can't! He just smiled at me.

Take over to the no trimming club let’s prove him wrong then!

Natalia_A00
June 29th, 2021, 11:57 PM
Hopefully 6 months! We'll see. Now that my hair is very long (past tailbone length, to the middle of my butt), it grows much slower... When it was BSL or waist length it used to grow like a weed ;)
However I want to have very thick ends, so maybe it will take longer than that, because of the microtrims

Celtica
July 1st, 2021, 04:05 AM
Hello LHCers :cheese: I'm back on LHC after about a 8 year absence. I had tailbone-tailing to classic length hair -about 39in if I remember correctly, that I cut back to chin-length in around 2012-13. I've had my hair in variations of bobs since then, until my last cut in January 2019, when I started growing it out again, because actually I prefer long hair, and regular cuts cost more than I was happy paying every 6 weeks-2 1/2 months. In my 8 year absence I've started going grey, which I'm just letting happen. My hair is currently 26in, which is just about an inch shy of waist for me.
I remember when I was here before we were all putting monistat on our scalps in the hopes it would increase growth lol. Are we still doing that? I thought of it the other day while using sebizole ketoconazole shampoo for my seborrheic dermatitis, and wondered why we didn't just use medicated shampoo instead. Incidently, I think the ketaconozole shampoo does increase my hair growth.

Edited to add after updating my hair type/length/goal...my hair has apparently turned finer and thinner as well as grey with age. I used to be M/iii in my 'youth'.

Eastbound&Down
July 1st, 2021, 08:31 AM
Hello LHCers :cheese: I'm back on LHC after about a 8 year absence. I had tailbone-tailing to classic length hair -about 39in if I remember correctly, that I cut back to chin-length in around 2012-13. I've had my hair in variations of bobs since then, until my last cut in January 2019, when I started growing it out again, because actually I prefer long hair, and regular cuts cost more than I was happy paying every 6 weeks-2 1/2 months. In my 8 year absence I've started going grey, which I'm just letting happen. My hair is currently 26in, which is just about an inch shy of waist for me.
I remember when I was here before we were all putting monistat on our scalps in the hopes it would increase growth lol. Are we still doing that? I thought of it the other day while using sebizole ketoconazole shampoo for my seborrheic dermatitis, and wondered why we didn't just use medicated shampoo instead. Incidently, I think the ketaconozole shampoo does increase my hair growth.

Edited to add after updating my hair type/length/goal...my hair has apparently turned finer and thinner as well as grey with age. I used to be M/iii in my 'youth'.

Welcome back, happy growing!

prudie_bug
July 1st, 2021, 10:18 AM
I thought of it the other day while using sebizole ketoconazole shampoo for my seborrheic dermatitis, and wondered why we didn't just use medicated shampoo instead. Incidently, I think the ketaconozole shampoo does increase my hair growth.

I use ketoconazole shampoo infrequently for my dandruff--but I'll start using it more frequently now to see if it helps growth :'D

QueenElla
July 5th, 2021, 09:05 PM
If I have average growth, it'll take a little over 2 years to reach my goal, which is hip length. I took my first measurement last week! I briefly tried the monistat on scalp experiment last autumn and felt like I had success, although I didn't take any measurements to know for sure haha. Am considering trying it again because I'm always looking for ways to speed up growth!

Dark40
July 11th, 2021, 02:37 PM
I've just realized now since about a month ago when I had to trim a cm of my ends in order for me to reach my goal of tbl it will most likely take me a year or so to get there. Because, my hair grows fast. So, I don't have any problems with that, thank God. :) I will be shocked when that dream of that hair length happens. Because, that will be the longest it will have ever been in my whole entire life.

Dark40
July 11th, 2021, 02:44 PM

Welcome back, happy growing! I've also heard of this monistat thing increasing your hair growth rate as well awhile back. Til' this day I've never tried it. Because, I'v always thought that it was a fad or to me, it was very hard to believe that a product that us women use on our bodies increases our normal hair growth rate. I still really find that hard to believe.

Kathie
July 11th, 2021, 05:14 PM
Welcome back, happy growing! I've also heard of this monistat thing increasing your hair growth rate as well awhile back. Til' this day I've never tried it. Because, I'v always thought that it was a fad or to me, it was very hard to believe that a product that us women use on our bodies increases our normal hair growth rate. I still really find that hard to believe.

I usually head over to Google Scholar or PubMed to research products or claims.

Topical application of products can effect hair growth and retention (heaps of the hair research out there focuses on hair loss).

Products simply soak into our skin and bind with cell receptors, increase circulation, or prevent oxidative damage.

QueenElla
July 11th, 2021, 05:45 PM
It was my understanding that monistat works for hair growth when applied to the scalp because it is an anti-fungal, so people with candida issues on the scalp would benefit from it!

momof3mary
July 11th, 2021, 07:04 PM
I had posted that it would take 5 years to reach my goals but I decided to do it in stages. Currently at a buzz cut. About a half inch. First goal is pixie. I hem and haw about my hair too much so I might park it at pixie for awhile or I might change my mind and grow it into a shag. Everyone I know including myself likes the way I look better with short hair. So who knows. But definitely not buzz cut short as I look like the buzzards from the old cartoons who's mamma done told him to get something for dinner. Anyhow, I love seeing everyone's goals and progress!

Pouncequick
July 16th, 2021, 04:01 PM
Depends on which goal. The goal next on my list is classic which I'm only about two inches (or 4ish months) away from.
I would like a more even hemline which I'm years away from (probably at least three years since I have bangs at shoulder length).
I would also really like whatever length makes a nice coronet braid easy on me. I really like the hairstyle on me and doing it with two braids is twice the pain of doing it with one. I am unsure where that would happen for me. My current estimate is fingertip length so I have room to tuck the tail and can push the braid a bit forward on my head, but I plan to maintain for a bit at classic to thicken the hemline.

Kathie
July 16th, 2021, 09:43 PM
I think it will take me about 2 years, I'm aiming for waist. But years just fly by these days!

GoddesJourney
July 16th, 2021, 10:00 PM
Another year or two to reach classic. Maybe I could do it in a year, maybe not. But i plan to trim at least once so it's unlikely.

JasminxCat
July 16th, 2021, 10:08 PM
I think I might grow beyond my original goal then chop off the extra length to donate if possible. 3-4 years?

Arciela
July 17th, 2021, 12:36 AM
I want classic length so mine will take a bit longer sadly. Probably another year!

Stray_mind
July 17th, 2021, 02:48 AM
My fixed hair goal is TBL. I think it will take around 4 more years to achieve it. After i hit TBL, i will grow as long as it will grow though. :)

paulownia
July 17th, 2021, 05:34 AM
Around 2 years I hope, my goal is mid-back.
Then we will see. If I continue to spend so much time here maybe I will finally catch LHC-itis and go for classic ;)

Bat
July 18th, 2021, 05:35 AM
My hair grows so slow now so I might reach my goal of mtl+ in 20 years D:

FaeBroom
July 18th, 2021, 07:59 AM
If I maintain an average growth rate, then I will reach my first goal of waist in eight months to a year. I plan to maintain around there until I get rid of my bleached ends, so I will have to calculate that goal once I reach waist and see how far down my virgin hair is. After that, who knows?? I think I may end up at classic, so five years? Probably more? I'll really just be along for the ride at that point :p

Glitch
July 18th, 2021, 01:25 PM
With all the maintenance I need to get rid of my dyed ends from 2019, probably at least a year or two :(

Kathie
July 19th, 2021, 06:16 PM
I was looking at an old thread that mentioned a golden ratio for determining ones most aesthetically pleasing hair lengths.

On this page:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8193&page=5

So it ends up the waist and fingertip length are my golden ratio lengths. Waist has always been a major goal, so I'm definitely aiming for there (34 inches- about 2-2.5 years)

Fingertip hasn't crossed my mind until now. I like how its such a round number on me- 50 inches. So I'm setting a new tentative goal of fingertip, stopping in at waist to see how I feel. Fingertip would take me around 5-5.5 years.

Lots of 5's here so let's throw in some numerology (not a hobbie for me- but just for fun).

"The numerology number 5 is an expression of personal freedom with wit and a sense of adventure."

Indeed, that pretty much sums up the thought of fingertip for me!

Bat
July 21st, 2021, 01:54 AM
My golden ratio is classic :D mid thigh is 50 inches on me mtl is definitely a super major goal of course I still have apl and hip as majors to get to first

Jools69
July 21st, 2021, 02:06 AM
I think I have about 2 years before reaching my goal of classic at 43 inches, according to my hair growth. I’m halfway there, since starting my journey at 22 inches when I joined LHC in December 2019. Trying to stop the urge from trimming off healthy thin ends to thicken my hemline, and avoid playing with and styling too much with heat to help preserve them.

Hedwig
July 21st, 2021, 06:41 AM
My goal right now is to grow it back to the length I had before I got my accidental mullet in March. Right now my longest layers falls somewhere between my clavicles and boobs. My hair has been growing pretty fast, my bangs are thankfully finally long enough to be tucked behind my ears and stay there! That took about 3 1/2 months. So I'm thinking that my hair will probably have a really nice length by the end of the year. :) I honestly can't wait.

firewerky
July 22nd, 2021, 09:27 AM
I've just figured it out and it looks like I need another year and two months to reach waist lenght! That's my current goal. I wanted to grow my hair longer but I think that it may disturb my work (I'm a dentist and no one wants to have hair in their mouths :D )

MusicalSpoons
July 23rd, 2021, 09:48 AM
I've just figured it out and it looks like I need another year and two months to reach waist lenght! That's my current goal. I wanted to grow my hair longer but I think that it may disturb my work (I'm a dentist and no one wants to have hair in their mouths :D )

Buns :D you can grow your hair as long as you want if you put it up and out of the way! And welcome to LHC :)

misspriss
July 23rd, 2021, 10:06 AM
My goal (at least for now) is waist length. I anticipate reaching that goal in 18-24 months.

I did the golden ratio, and my short number is right at waist length!

Longer number is below classic, about 1/3 down my thigh. I don't think I can commit to that length. Waist it is!

timiddrake
July 23rd, 2021, 10:19 AM
When I joined I didn't really have a goal length. After some thought I decided that waist is my current goal. I think I can make it by December 2022 with minimal trimming.

squirrrel
July 23rd, 2021, 10:51 AM
Currently heading for MTL when I shall start quarterly trims to see if my ends get better when maintained. Then I shall decide if I want to grow on or not. December 2022 will see me there, possibly for a few months by then…

firewerky
July 23rd, 2021, 12:28 PM
Buns :D you can grow your hair as long as you want if you put it up and out of the way! And welcome to LHC :)

You're right! That gave me hope, maybe I'll try TL :D We will see I guess!

MeowsterofForce
July 23rd, 2021, 02:45 PM
I'm guessing it will take roughly a year and a half to get to my goal, based on the standard growth rate of 1/2 inch a month. But I don't know how fast my hair grows, so I'm going to start measuring it once a month to see if that's accurate. I'm at BSL right now, but the distance from there to my hips is... significant.