PDA

View Full Version : Perm Recovery Advice Needed

Hairth&Home
June 30th, 2009, 03:04 PM
In an effort to recapture the tighter curls of my youth I had my first - and last - perm three months ago. It seemed like a good idea at the time, and it looked nice for a while, but gravity is setting in and ... well ... I think I need help. I've never had to "grow out" a perm before.

Any perm survivors out there have some helpful advice?

ElenTikvah
June 30th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I grew out my last perm over 15 years ago, so my memory is a little dim on the exact details...

My hair spent a LOT of time in ponytails and banana clips (the only updos that I knew at the time) and eventually, I cut my almost BSL to shoulder length to finally get rid of the last vestiges of the perm. It was a drastic chop, but for me, it was the right thing to do.

~Tik

Dark Rosaleen
June 30th, 2009, 03:55 PM
You could use some sponge rollers to help keep it curly, as well as curling the new growth so it blends a little better.

Permed hair also loves moisture, so condition condition condition. Braids and ponytails are also good for keeping it out of the way.

Hairth&Home
July 1st, 2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks for your advice! :-)

It surprised me that the perm curls were frizzier than my natural curls. I learned too late that's usually the case. The stylist gave me a product to help offset the frizz and give the curls more definition, but it makes my hair feel heavy and sticky so I stopped using it.

For now I'm wearing my hair up in a Ficcarre or in a Gibson Tuck most days. I'm doing weekly coconut oilings and SMTs but my hair still feels like it needs ... something.

Anyone know if that shea butter conditioning creme (I found the recipe here at LHC a while back) works well on curly and/or permed hair?

GlassEyes
July 1st, 2009, 07:12 PM
It works well for my curly hair, though I've stopped using it because I'm out of shea butter.

MomoKoNoHanna
July 1st, 2009, 08:22 PM
I had a perm done about 2 years ago when I was 21. It was "Shirley Temple Curls" As the perm went down it formed nice waves which I grow out. The only advice I can give is: 'Condition, Condtion, Condition.' My hair got really dry so oiling may help to (wish I new about oils back then). I also did a big chop to ear length hair but you may just want to keep split ends under control. It took a year and a bit for my hair to gain length and fully recover. I'll never forget Mum calling me Shirley Temple she took great delite calling me that and ending it with 'cute'. Hehe it shouldn't be as painfull to grow out as you only got waves so you are already half way there :)

MomoKoNoHanna
July 1st, 2009, 08:25 PM
Correction: I thought I read waves somewere so please disregard. But waves are a sign your curls are starting to go.

Flaxen
July 1st, 2009, 10:13 PM
The pictures have expired from this old thread, which is a shame because they were spectacular, but you'll want to read Wholeheart Mom's Story (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=26444).

Stormsong
July 2nd, 2009, 07:33 AM
My last perm was a spiral perm about 7 or so years ago. All I can really do is reinforce the condition condition condition advice, and treat those ends nicely and keep them from getting too tangled. I didn't and ended up chopping from somewhere between BSL and APL to just above shoulder to remove the birds nest tangle that I couldn't get a brush or comb through.

HairColoredHair
July 2nd, 2009, 07:39 AM
The pictures have expired from this old thread, which is a shame because they were spectacular, but you'll want to read Wholeheart Mom's Story (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=26444).

Seconded. Her hair's recovery was remarkable.

Hairth&Home
July 2nd, 2009, 10:29 AM

Thank you so much for the link, Flaxen. Wholeheart Mom's tale is very entertainingly told! I'm grateful for the details she included about the products and methods she employed. Now I have a list of things to try on my hair.

I'm fortunate in that my hair was not badly damaged. Although the curl/wave is frizzier than my natural curl, my hair is still silky and the ends are fine. I credit oil and SMTs for that.

My biggest regret is that I allowed vanity to cloud my judgement. I should have realized that I couldn't restore the hair of my youth with a perm.

I've learned my lesson ... Never again!:)