PDA

View Full Version : scabby scalp

jojo
June 30th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I have had scabs on my scalp now for about 6 weeks and they are driving me mad. It feels like im pouring acid on my head when i wash it. I have had it in the past but not for a few years now, whats the best way to get rid of it. So far ive tried a heavy oil=no good and scritching=made my scalp so sore.

Any advice for a scabby mate? also would this slow growth down?

Toadstool
June 30th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I would go to the doctor.:blossom:

jojo
June 30th, 2009, 03:11 PM
It psorosis that I have, could speak to one of the dermatologists at work i suppose. I wonder if something like vosene or head and shoulders would do the trick? but there so full of chemical wickeds and nasties, that my hair is banned from going near, I dont want to dry it out but then I cant stand the scabs and itchies either.

mmmmmm...back to the drawing board!

Schmoomunitions
June 30th, 2009, 03:12 PM
What about using pine tar soap, just on your scalp only?

jojo
June 30th, 2009, 03:18 PM
That sounds interesting where do you buy them from? and do you know an easy way to just wash the scalp and not the hair? I am so ham fisted!
thanks you two. xx

SimplyLonghair
June 30th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I get a scalp like this when the shampoo that I use has something that I am allergic to or when I am exposed to allergens in other ways. I do an oil and then do a baking soda wash and that does the trick for me. I am very gentle when I do this and very careful in detangling so that I don't cause a bigger shed, because it is fragile at the roots when this is going on. :rolleyes: HTH

teela1978
June 30th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I actually start getting scabbies when my scalp isn't getting clean enough (a bit backwards from a lot of the thinking on this site). Using an sls-type shampoo usually clears it up for me.

ETA: it could actually speed up growth if your scalp is inflamed enough. Swelling brings all sorts of nice nutrients to the area... think hair under a cast after a broken bone, all nice and thick and long :)

daydreamer
June 30th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I seem to get this during PMS a lot -- pimples that crop up on my scalp that turn into scabs... really annoying! The best thing I have found personally is to leave the scabs alone and be gentle with the shampoo and combing. I will also get this badly when I use a shampoo with no sulfates, so I really have to use a sulfate shampoo.
This pine tar soap sounds interesting!

teela1978
June 30th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I seem to get this during PMS a lot -- pimples that crop up on my scalp that turn into scabs... really annoying! The best thing I have found personally is to leave the scabs alone and be gentle with the shampoo and combing. I will also get this badly when I use a shampoo with no sulfates, so I really have to use a sulfate shampoo.
This pine tar soap sounds interesting!

Yay! I'm not the only one :)

Silver & Gold
June 30th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Jojo, it would help to know what your washing routine is. Perhaps that would give some insight.

Longlocks3
June 30th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I have either seborrhea dermatitis or psoriasis, I can never remember which. I just know it's annoying! It creates a type of scale, almost scab like on my scalp. Head and Shoulder made my hair look amazing but it BURRNNNEED my scalp and did not help the condition. No 'dandruff' shampoo does, for me anyway. I occasionally use T/Sal, it's like T/Gel(which has tar) but it has salicylic acid in it that helps break down the scab. Don't use it if your allergic to aspirin though!

Also, when it got very bad I did see a dermatologist and a D.O(doctor of osteopathy). My dermatologist did nothing for me, but the D.O. did finally prescribe betamethasone dipropionate lotion for my scalp. It's not really lotion consistancy but it is a topical steroid. It did wonders but after the initial scabs were gone I only use it sparingly. Even now I have some small ones but I do not use nearly as often as it is prescribed because it is a steroid, which can break down skin overtime. My D.O. also told me that if I have let it go too long I could have developed permanent bald spots, not trying to scare you though! Also I CO now, use vinegar rinses and clarifying shampoo very sparingly.

I hope it turns out alright for you, it's a pain but it is managable.

MomoKoNoHanna
June 30th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I have that at the moment actually, I've been getting it on and off ever since I started using sls free shampoo and mostly natural conditioners. It comes and goes but I use jojoba oil as a scalp massage (gentle on the area were the scabs are) and that helps alot! But I am going back to sls saloon shampoo tomorrow to see if it makes a difference. Im also going back as it seems my damaged hair is not taking well to sls and cone free shampoo :( will try again once the damage is down... I highly recommend jojoba oil its one of my faves :D works wonders on my scalp.

jojo
July 1st, 2009, 07:40 AM
Thanks for all the replies. My routine is I shampoo with clynol which is a salon shampoo to help combat damage, it has no nasty chemicals and I also use their conditioner, I also use bumble and bumble products. I wash my hair about 3 times a week and air dry it.

I was using soapnuts but have ran out and havent got round to re-ordering as yet

disoriented
July 1st, 2009, 07:55 AM
I did almost the same situation as Longlock3. I tred T/Gel shampoo and it alleviated my problem. I also went to my GP and he prescribed me betamethasone lotion which did nothing for me. He finally prescribed me Nizoral lotion which temporarily stopped the problem, but the scabbiness came back.

Apparently it is stress related, the doc said! It may be true because I don't have this problem so often when my workload is not too much now. I still occasionally use T/Gel and soak&float (that yucky Lush tar shampoo) which seem to work for me.

ktani
July 1st, 2009, 08:03 AM
I have had scabs on my scalp now for about 6 weeks and they are driving me mad. It feels like im pouring acid on my head when i wash it. I have had it in the past but not for a few years now, whats the best way to get rid of it. So far ive tried a heavy oil=no good and scritching=made my scalp so sore.

Any advice for a scabby mate? also would this slow growth down?

I get the odd scab from time to time. I break out on my scalp because of my diet occasionally. I also have very mild psoriasis. Catnip tea makes any such area not itch at all and heal faster. My growth rate has been very high lately and my hair looks thicker than ever, so no, I do not believe growth is affected. Stress can exacerbate (make it worse) the condition too. I do not bleed there nor does my shampoo cause stinging. When I am really good with my diet, no problem. Stress is another matter, lol.

Finoriel
July 1st, 2009, 08:11 AM
Since when are you using the clynol shampoo? Itīs possible that this is either the cause of your problem or made an already existing condition worse and therewith noticeable.
That itīs a salon shampoo does not automatically make it a good shampoo :wink: take a look at the ingredients. To me they do not sound overly gentle. If you are sensitive to sodium laureth sulfate or other things in there ... scabs and itchy scalp are a possible result. If you did not have this while using soap nuts, it would be best to go back to them I guess. It can take some time for your scalp to recover again though. Sadly bad skin caused by chemical sensitivities is often a longer lasting annoyance.

Rainbow2911
July 1st, 2009, 08:25 AM
Henna does wonders for healing my scalp when it gets all horrible. Plus washing a little more often than my hair really likes - especially in warm weather - cheers my scalp up.

jojo
July 1st, 2009, 10:15 AM
I get the odd scab from time to time. I break out on my scalp because of my diet occasionally. I also have very mild psoriasis. Catnip tea makes any such area not itch at all and heal faster. My growth rate has been very high lately and my hair looks thicker than ever, so no, I do not believe growth is affected. Stress can exacerbate (make it worse) the condition too. I do not bleed there nor does my shampoo cause stinging. When I am really good with my diet, no problem. Stress is another matter, lol.
Thats makes perfect sence, i have had my fair share of stress this year. will try a catnip rinse tonight, I have some somewhere, thanks x

Tabitha
July 1st, 2009, 10:22 AM
Klorane make a Peony Shampoo for Irritated Scalp. I haven't tried it myself but Klorane products use natural extracts and are usually pretty good, my hair loves their Mango S&C.

If you wanted to read the ingredients list, larger branches of Boots and posher chemists sell Klorane, around a fiver a bottle, or it's on Amazon UK (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000PY9HJQ/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=) but no detailed ingredients list.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31BvMOrH-vL._SL500_AA250_.jpg