PDA

View Full Version : how to prevent hair ends curving in

pdy2kn6
June 30th, 2009, 01:20 PM
i am going to do another self trim very soon but was wondering if there is any method of reducing the potential for hair to curve inwards? the last time i got a professional trim it ended up curving inwards at the end. now since it has grown without any trimming, naturally it has become less curved inwards. does anyone know why hair ends curve inwards sometimes after cutting? (assuming hair is relatively straight and not curly). Sometimes i have seen hair ends which are the same texture, however the hair looks more straight across, rather than curving inwards at all.

hope you guys can provide some insights

free_hug
June 30th, 2009, 01:28 PM
One guess (a hairdresser student told me): it curls in if they trim the inner layers a tiny bit shorter. She also said it would curl outwards in the opposite case (that is, outer layers a little shorter). But just very careful anyways, unless you want it to culr all over the place :) And good luck with the self-trim!

Silver & Gold
June 30th, 2009, 02:08 PM
free hug is correct. You let down the lowest layer and cut it, then you let down another layer on top of that and cut it a tiny bit longer, each new layer is cut just a tiny bit longer and this lets the ends of the hair bevel under. Of course the same method of letting down a layer at a time can be used to cut it blunt by cutting each layer to the exact same place and then there is the other extreme where you cut each successive layer a bit shorter giving soft layers.

So if you go to a stylist you can tell them that you don't like your hair undercut because you don't want the ends all curling under. Then you can decide whether you want it blunt or slightly layered.

bigdreamer
June 30th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Oh my gosh this has been one of my biggest pet peeves about getting my hair trimmed since forever.

I would ALWAYS ask that the ends be cut so they didn't curl under, and 95% of the time the cutter didn't get it right and they went crazy under when drying, not a look i like.

But...at least a few times I have asked for that and it was cut well so that it hung down straight without curling under when air dried. It's been like the holy grail of styling for me, another reason I'm sick of getting my hair cut. No idea why that cannot be done consistently and I always asked for it too! Love to hear if anyone knows what the technique is to stop that.

bigdreamer
June 30th, 2009, 02:40 PM
whoops I just read your reply silver and gold, is that the terminology I should have been using, no "undercutting"? Who knew (well, not me!)

Silver & Gold
June 30th, 2009, 04:06 PM
whoops I just read your reply silver and gold, is that the terminology I should have been using, no "undercutting"? Who knew (well, not me!)

Well, that's the terminology I was taught. My dad was a barber and he taught me the basics of cutting hair.

bigdreamer
June 30th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I googled "undercutting" after i posted earlier and sure enough that is a term for cutting hair so that it bends under. Wow! Wish I knew before! It never occured to me to check for a term to mention to help describe what I wanted :rolleyes: Learn something new every day

Silver & Gold
June 30th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I googled "undercutting" after i posted earlier and sure enough that is a term for cutting hair so that it bends under. Wow! Wish I knew before! It never occured to me to check for a term to mention to help describe what I wanted :rolleyes: Learn something new every day

Well, there ya go. At least now you know.

It occurs to me that there are more than a few areas where if the consumer is ill informed, they don't alway get what they need. Hair services for sure. The medical field is another one. Perhaps working on your car is yet another.

Anyway, the more you know the more empowered you are.

Alun
June 30th, 2009, 06:45 PM
i am going to do another self trim very soon but was wondering if there is any method of reducing the potential for hair to curve inwards? the last time i got a professional trim it ended up curving inwards at the end. now since it has grown without any trimming, naturally it has become less curved inwards. does anyone know why hair ends curve inwards sometimes after cutting? (assuming hair is relatively straight and not curly). Sometimes i have seen hair ends which are the same texture, however the hair looks more straight across, rather than curving inwards at all.

hope you guys can provide some insights

Don't know, but when my hair was a little shorter I used to hate it if it curved out atall. 'Flips' on a guy are mortally embarassing, LOL!

Silver & Gold
June 30th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Don't know, but when my hair was a little shorter I used to hate it if it curved out atall. 'Flips' on a guy are mortally embarassing, LOL!

Ha! I just got a mental image of you sporting a sassy 50's flip ala Mary Tyler Moore. Too funny!

pdy2kn6
July 1st, 2009, 07:24 AM
Oh my gosh this has been one of my biggest pet peeves about getting my hair trimmed since forever.

haha bigdreamer, i totally understand your frustration. This has always been an annoying issue for me, especially when it is airdried, it always ends up curving in. Hopefully now we know the terminology we will have better luck in the future :)

pdy2kn6
July 1st, 2009, 07:25 AM
free hug is correct. You let down the lowest layer and cut it, then you let down another layer on top of that and cut it a tiny bit longer, each new layer is cut just a tiny bit longer and this lets the ends of the hair bevel under. Of course the same method of letting down a layer at a time can be used to cut it blunt by cutting each layer to the exact same place and then there is the other extreme where you cut each successive layer a bit shorter giving soft layers.

So if you go to a stylist you can tell them that you don't like your hair undercut because you don't want the ends all curling under. Then you can decide whether you want it blunt or slightly layered.

thanks so much, i have never known why it did this. Thanks for the explanation. Now i know exactly what to ask for if i go back to a stylist

pdy2kn6
July 1st, 2009, 07:28 AM

haha yeah, i also had that when my hair was around chin length. You get absolutely ripped for having 'curls' lol. I was talking more about general all over curving in.