PDA

View Full Version : Good hairdresser

Toadstool
June 30th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Today I went to have half an inch cut off my top layer. The stylist didn't want to cut more cos I am growing it out. She was very encouraging and only charged £6 (half price) because she said it was only half a haircut.:)
I just don't get why so many people on LHC have bad experiences with stylists. Is it mainly a US thing??:confused:

windinherhair
June 30th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I am not one of the ones who has had many bad experiences from hair stylists. I have recently wondered if more has been cut off my hair then what I have thought or discussed with hair stylists though.

That is nice she only charged half price! I used to work at the mall and there was a hair place in the mall that gave me a discount since I worked there and only would charge me for a bang cut ($5) since my hair was an easy straight across cut. I have never found a place like that since. Usually places want to charge $14-$25 for a simple trim and can easily be done myself.

pdy2kn6
June 30th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Today I went to have half an inch cut off my top layer. The stylist didn't want to cut more cos I am growing it out. She was very encouraging and only charged £6 (half price) because she said it was only half a haircut.:)
I just don't get why so many people on LHC have bad experiences with stylists. Is it mainly a US thing??:confused:

ive had bad experiences (Also a UK-long hairer). Are you north or south uk? im really in need of a good stylist

:)

swanns
June 30th, 2009, 12:51 PM
How nice that you found a good hairdresser! There's a girl at work who's studying to be a hairdresser, I told her today I hope she's not going to become one of those scissor-happy types that'll gladly trim twice what you asked for, and she said she'd never do that. Yay, I did a good deed by being so aggressive about it. I think :D

There is absolutely no way you could get a trim for such a low price here, even if it was just 'half a cut'! The cheapest I've got it was 17€ :shudder:

ETA: I don't think it's mainly a US thing. Finnish hairdressers are generally very scissor happy as well.

Pixna
June 30th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I've had mostly good stylists, and really just one who was nuts. I think it really depends on who you go to (not what country you're in). Like any field, there are good and bad, competent and incompetent. I'm glad you had such a great experience today -- and at half price no less!! :redgrin:

Toadstool
June 30th, 2009, 03:09 PM
ive had bad experiences (Also a UK-long hairer). Are you north or south uk? im really in need of a good stylist

:)

Aberystwyth:)

MunchkinBubble
June 30th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Lucky!
You should get her personal contact info just in case she moves salons without you knowing (that happened to me once and they wouldn't give me the hairdresser's new salon info). She'll be happy for the customer loyalty and you'll be happy because you've got a great stylist for good!

bigdreamer
June 30th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I have never found a stylist to stick with and I've tried all price ranges $14 to $90 (that's my high limit!) Had okay but inconsistent at the lower price ranges and then the $90 one wouldn't stop chatting and didn't pay attention, I had to go back for her to even things up. Made me wait and then chatted too much again. So even paying big bucks didn't quite work out for me. No trimming seems to be the thing to do!

SpinDance
June 30th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I'm in the US and I've both good and bad cuts. After a couple bad (cheap) ones I ended up finding a higher quality salon, asking to get a consultation with a higher ranked stylist, and only after consultation did I let them touch my hair. Since then I've had good luck. They charge me for a 'bang trim', too, not a regular cut. :) My hair is straight across, a bit more than WL, no bangs/fringes. I will say, once I've found a good stylist I stick with them. I've only changed when they leave the salon. If they had moved to someplace close enough I'd have gone with them, but that hasn't happened.

misspriss
June 30th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I had the best haircut in the world recently. Went to a higher end place, paid $60 (and a generous tip), which is more than I've paid before. I want to go back to him so badly, because it was such a great experience. I told him it had been 9 months since my last haircut when I went, because I got such a bad haircut. I hope he doesn't think I haven't been back because I didn't like it, because I loved it!

It still looks fabulous, even though it has grown out for over 6 months.

ETA: I went in looking for a hair CUT, and he told me he would like to keep the length and he did, so I'm pretty happy with him. Come to think of it, I should review the MM calendar and schedule an appointment, he stays pretty booked up...

RancheroTheBee
June 30th, 2009, 08:07 PM
:p Yee! How exciting. I especially like that she charged you so little. How very thoughtful!