PDA

View Full Version : Figure eight leftover hair

Curlsgirl
June 30th, 2009, 06:40 AM
I think I have seen a thread on this before but well for a long time a Figure 8 worked perfectly on my hair, just the right amount of hair when I twisted and then turned it over with no excess hair sticking out. Now it seems that overnight there is a bit of hair leftover that I don't know what to do with. I try to stick it in under the eight but it doesn't seem to have anywhere to go. Does this make sense? Any suggestions? I use a fork or a stick to anchor the style if this helps.

heidihug
June 30th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I still do a figure 8-type updo, although I have lots of excess length. I just twist the first couple of large coils as normal for a cinnabun, then wrap the rest of my hair tightly around the base, under the top two coils. That way, when I flip up (or down, depending upon where I place the bun on my head) the top-most coil, the rest of my hair is relatively hidden. Though there is a bigger "bump" in the middle of my 8 than there would be on someone with shorter hair.

I don't think this would work really well on someone with very thick hair though!

SpinDance
June 30th, 2009, 08:00 AM
I've been having the same problem. Now I get that 'extra' tucked underneath the lower loop of the '8' by carefully moving the stick or fork so that the ends are caught between the overlapping loops and the lower edge of the bottom of the '8'. I have to sort of stretch the lower loop down to trap the 'extra' in place and hold it there just so with the stick/fork. Now it seems to be staying better, although there is a bit more of a bump in the middle. I decided I liked the bump more than ends waving around. YMMV

eadwine
June 30th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I do the infinity with a bit of hair left over. I find that the amount of twisting helps with regulating how much hair is left. The tuft I leave, it doesn't bother me at all :)

If I do want it gone, Amish pins to the rescue :)

longhairedfairy
June 30th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I always have some left that's hard to wrap or tuck.

NickalNack
June 30th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Oh wow... for some reason when I clicked this thread I was expecting a picture of a figure 8 of SHED hair. Haha, wow.

Kanntara
July 1st, 2009, 03:02 PM
I have, I'm guessing, about three inches or so of leftover hair. I just leave it free. My last wrap goes long the top of the "bun". I flip the top loop down, then with the hairstick I grab some of the hair in what is now the top of the bun, pull it over the loose hair to pin it down, then push the stick down and out. I like the look and it's messy without being messy. A little bit longer and I might even be able to have curled ends for a dressy look :D I planned on taking pictures later when my hair dried so I'll be sure to include one of the bun :)

darkwaves
July 1st, 2009, 05:18 PM
I would just leave it loose and curly. If I remember right, wonderlywroughte had pictures of a fabulous messy F-8 bun on the old site.

(I wish I could manage a figure 8, much less with excess! Mine still fall out.)

Kiraela
July 2nd, 2009, 01:57 PM
I catch the extra under the bottom loop and secure with two sticks. MOST of the time, that holds the ends in fairly well, although occasionally I will end up looking like a hedgehog or something, with pointy pokey bits sticking out everywhere.