PDA

View Full Version : I've learned a new bun (APL)

jeno
June 30th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34
It works very well with my APL layered hair and I'm VERY pleased. And I got a new hairstick yesterday and it's perfect for it. YAY!

http://i43.tinypic.com/wgpb15.jpg http://i39.tinypic.com/ndkl1d.jpg

Bene
June 30th, 2009, 01:11 AM
oh yeah, this is a great bun, this was the second bun i learned and still use :)

i'm wondering though, is this like a nautilus with the opposite hand?

Natalia
June 30th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Very pretty :) congratulations!

earthpulse
June 30th, 2009, 03:48 AM
I went and tried this and it actually works for me! For some reason I never seem to be able to get my hair to stay put with a hair stick (on the rare occasions that I do I can't duplicate it.) But this one took ten seconds and feels secure enough to go to dance class in. Hurray! Thanks for sharing it.:)

Jessikinz
June 30th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I just tried this and it works for me :) Thanks for sharing with us! And I like the pictures of yours.

GlassEyes
June 30th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I'm trying this now. xD; My hair may not be long enough though.

Edit: Just got it. It's a bit tight though. xD It's not going anywhere, that's for sure.

Deimos
June 30th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Quick and easy! Nice pictures, your hairstick is very cute.

ButterCup02
June 30th, 2009, 09:35 AM
It looks great! I'll have to give that one a try!

bakertwins2004
June 30th, 2009, 10:25 AM
OH yay! I need to give that a try.

ZadenWillowfyre
June 30th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Oooo very nice...I need to learn some hair tricks lol.

jeno
June 30th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I have practiced a few times now and I can do it without a mirror. I love this bun... The bun looks bigger than an ordinary bun held with hairpins.
Glad you like it too! Pictures please!

Samitra
June 30th, 2009, 11:59 AM
I'll definitly have to try this out! Thanks for posting :)

camirra555
June 30th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I'm gonna try this one too! I really need to invest in some hair sticks, it'll be motivation to keep my hair up

paper
June 30th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Great bun, thanks! I just tryed it, it was very easy and holds well!

teela1978
June 30th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I've been wearing this for a couple hours now and I like it! Mine has lots of pieces sticking out and it's kinda cute :)

serious
June 30th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I love this bun, thank you for sharing :flower:

And, here is the picture of mine:
(I was in a hurry, so it's not the best one)

http://hotimg25.fotki.com/a/89_216/137_136/DSCN1213-vi.jpg (http://hotimg25.fotki.com/p/a/89_216/137_136/DSCN1213-vi.jpg)

HappyHair87
June 30th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I wanna do it!!! I'll try this one tomorrow after i co wash! :-) Thanx for the link!!

teela1978
June 30th, 2009, 05:03 PM
oh yeah, this is a great bun, this was the second bun i learned and still use :)

i'm wondering though, is this like a nautilus with the opposite hand?
Don't you pull the loop over the rest of your hair in a nautilus? I think it's pretty different, this one you use openings of the 2 twists to anchor it. Almost reminds me of the lazy wrap.

RoseRedDead
June 30th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Thank you for sharing this. Another quick and easy bun to add to my arsenal!

rags
June 30th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I'm ashamed to say it took me five tries, :o but I've got it now! I really like this bun; it holds with only one stick and looks bigger than my usual cinnabuns. I think this one will be getting a lot of wear - thanks so much!

GlassEyes
June 30th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I need a bit more length to wear it comfortably, but I did do it. xD;

renarok
June 30th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Here is my version, it holds well, it is almost like a lazy wrap bun on me.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2590/3676293215_ce60454e4d_m.jpg

Laurel32
June 30th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Yay! It holds, I can't stop looking at it in the mirror. :D Thank you for the link.

coolbreeze212
June 30th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Very cool, Jeno! Looks so pretty in your hair.

I might try this tomorrow!

coolbreeze212
June 30th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Here is my version, it holds well, it is almost like a lazy wrap bun on me.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2590/3676293215_ce60454e4d_m.jpg

That's lovely!!

Honestwitness
June 30th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I tried it and it worked for me too. It's my very first bun with a hair stick. I'm surprised it works.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2850&pictureid=43202

bakertwins2004
June 30th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I am silly... I can't do it. I will try some more but I think I am a up-do dope.

renarok
June 30th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I tried it and it worked for me too. It's my very first bun with a hair stick. I'm surprised it works.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2850&pictureid=43202
I really like this:) Your curlie wispies at the nape are very pretty.

renarok
June 30th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks coolbreeze!:)

hellkitty
June 30th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Honestwitness,
Your hair is so pretty! I love all the different shades of grey and white. It looks marvellous! And the bun looks so cute!

Can this work on longer hair does anyone know?

HK

teela1978
June 30th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Here's mine

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/lchamber78/20090631-pencilbun.jpg

It's huge!!!! I feel like I have the biggest bun in the world!

jeno
June 30th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Nice buns everyone! Keep on bunning!

wahmof9
July 1st, 2009, 09:26 AM
APL?

I am a solid APL and I can't do this lovely bun!!! Is it just me?:(

wahmof9
July 1st, 2009, 09:28 AM
OK..if you can then I should be able to. Maybe I am bun challenged...let me go try again!

bakertwins2004
July 1st, 2009, 09:28 AM
Nope I can't either. But I just thought it was that I am unskilled at buns and updo's

wahmof9
July 1st, 2009, 09:44 AM
Nope I can't either. But I just thought it was that I am unskilled at buns and updo's
Nope...I just can't do it.

Ok...I tried and tried and I did one but I can't tell it'll fall easy..not very secure....

Let me try uploading a picture!

Yes, it did fall after I took the picture!:(

wahmof9
July 1st, 2009, 09:46 AM
Nope...I just can't do it.

Ok...I tried and tried and I did one but I can't tell it'll fall easy..not very secure....

Let me try uploading a picture!

http://www.recipesfromhome-online.com/images/LHC-bun.jpg

Yes, it did fall after I took the picture!:(

rags
July 1st, 2009, 11:46 AM
I am wearing this today. I love it because it makes me look like I have more hair! :D

Wahmof: It took me several tries to get this right. I had to not use my whole hand, but only two or three fingers, and twist it pretty tightly, because my first few tries just came loose. But it's been in now since early this morning!

jeno
July 1st, 2009, 12:51 PM
Wahmof: It took me several tries to get this right. I had to not use my whole hand, but only two or three fingers, and twist it pretty tightly, because my first few tries just came loose. But it's been in now since early this morning!
This is how I do it too, I don't use my whole hand.

GlassEyes
July 1st, 2009, 12:58 PM
I think that maybe the thicker your hair, the more trouble you'll have.

I haven't hit APL, and I can do it--It nearly broke my stick trying to though. XD So even I need more length.

Samitra
July 1st, 2009, 01:58 PM
I'vre tried it. After 20 something tries, I gave up. I tried with using only three fingers, two fingers... even tried using only one finger, and it didn't work. I know I'm updo challenged, and that I need some more lenght (my hair's layered, and not yet APL). But I think I've figured out the technque. Now I just need longer hair :)

wahmof9
July 1st, 2009, 03:27 PM
I am wearing this today. I love it because it makes me look like I have more hair! :D

you ARE a GENIUS! I never even thought of that! I am going to try right now and if it works by my first hair stick!:cheese:

I just DID IT! I am so happy :cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese:Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

And it does make me feel like I have more hair!!! Hair sticks here I come!

Thank you for sharing the "finger" trick and for the post...I am wearing a bun! Yeah!

wahmof9
July 1st, 2009, 03:28 PM
This is how I do it too, I don't use my whole hand.
Yes, using just two fingers rather than my hand did the trick thank you soooooooo much. A new hair do...:)

wahmof9
July 1st, 2009, 03:30 PM
I'vre tried it. After 20 something tries, I gave up. I tried with using only three fingers, two fingers... even tried using only one finger, and it didn't work. I know I'm updo challenged, and that I need some more lenght (my hair's layered, and not yet APL). But I think I've figured out the technque. Now I just need longer hair :)
I am so sorry but it will come...it took me a while and my hair is past APL...going for BSL I can't wait. If only looking at your hair daily in the mirror did the trick...sigh!

perlexquisit
July 1st, 2009, 03:51 PM
When my hair a few inches shorter (perhaps APL or a bit longer), I put my hair up in a very similar bun:). Instead of using the hand all the way I switch to the thumb before wraping the rest of my hair around. And one hair stick is enough to secure my bun this way all day if I bun tight.

Arctic
July 3rd, 2009, 07:05 AM
Thanks for posting this! After few tries I got it and it's very secure! It reminds me of upside down lazy wrap bun but is nore secure feeling. I also like that it requires minimal twisting :) This bun deserves a name!

rags
July 3rd, 2009, 07:37 AM
Yaay Wahmof! I'm so glad you did it! :cheer::cheer::hifive::disco:

I agree that this bun needs a name!

Tabitha
July 3rd, 2009, 08:06 AM
What a great find! thanks so much for posting this.

I'm having real trouble with updos at the moment, and have been for a number of months, (since before I cut my hair, and cutting it hasn't helped) so I approached this with a fair degree of scepticism.

Imagine my surprise when I managed it on the second try. I had to keep pausing the video and did it step by step. I kept in mind the advice about not using the whole hand, and in fact only used two fingers. It looks neater than my rook's-nest cinnabuns, my layers seem to be confined, and it feels very secure too. The ends aren't tucked in, but they are lying flat and not looking messy.

I had to do it with a biro because I'm at a friend's house without any hairsticks. Will definitely practice some more with some of my sticks that aren't getting any love at the moment because my bun-skills had deserted me.

janiejones
July 27th, 2009, 02:37 PM

My hair's just about your length (~21") and I wasn't totally able to get the bun, mine has lots of little ends sticking out the edges....but it's sooo close!

And now I really, really want to buy a hairstick....

ericthegreat
July 27th, 2009, 02:45 PM
That looks awesome Jeno! And its amazing how you we somehow able to tuck in all the loose ends especially since your hair is layered and at APL.

OrnamentalGravy
July 27th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks so much for this! I have NEVER successfully used a chopstick in my hair until now! Awesome!

saskia_madding
July 27th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Wow. That was super easy, and I'm always looking for new buns that uncoordinated girls like me can do. Thanks!

keight425
July 27th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Yay! I did it!!! Thank you for a APL bun!!!! This is the first one I've been able to do!!!!! I'm gonna go check it out in the mirror now.

That girl has a really cool accent (from the video)

redneckprincess
July 27th, 2009, 05:43 PM
thats pretty cool I will have to keep that in mind when mines gets longer

Tressie
July 27th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Congratulations! It really looks lovely! Like your stick too! (o: