PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo rant in major paper (aka. the general masses are in revolt!)

BittSweetCherry
June 29th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Today's 'Heckler' in the Sydney Morning Herald has a skeptic I'm sure most of us will agree with:

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/shampoo-claims-are-a-bit-too-fruity-20090629-d2h2.html

amaiaisabella
June 29th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Very interesting article! It's good to see hair care get mainstream attention.

tigerlily896
June 29th, 2009, 08:45 PM
haha, its things like that that get a person to think: "what am i about to put on my head?" and "whats the difference between this and handsoap??"

Krystyle
June 29th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Yep! I was actually a bit disappointed when I looked up the ingredients on the back of my newest conditioner. I bought it at Whole Foods. I didn't have enough time to read all the ingredients thoroughly until I got home. You'd think something meant to moisturize wouldn't have alcohol in it. Duh! Right? Really, if it's natural or organic, there shouldn't be ingredients in it that I 'have' to look up because I don't know what they are. I might just end up as one of thouse people who make their own.

ReddishRocks
June 29th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Yep! I was actually a bit disappointed when I looked up the ingredients on the back of my newest conditioner. I bought it at Whole Foods. I didn't have enough time to read all the ingredients thoroughly until I got home. You'd think something meant to moisturize wouldn't have alcohol in it. Duh! Right? Really, if it's natural or organic, there shouldn't be ingredients in it that I 'have' to look up because I don't know what they are. I might just end up as one of thouse people who make their own.

Not all alcohols are drying. :flower: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=22466

These ones tend to be okay, from http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products :

Fatty Alcohols

Provide emollient effect, lubricity, emulsion stabilization

Behenyl alcohol
Cetearyl alcohol
Cetyl alcohol
Isocetyl alcohol
Isostearyl alcohol
Lauryl alcohol
Myristyl alcohol
Stearyl alcohol
C30-50 Alcohols
Lanolin alcohol

HTH! :) I do tend to agree that it stinks that we need a chemistry manual to understand what's in our products...

RancheroTheBee
June 29th, 2009, 10:28 PM
There's several excellent articles on The Beauty Brains website that discusses how much an ingredient is concentrated based on where it appears on the list. For instance, for most shampoos, the concentration is 20% water, 10% sulphates, and 1-2% of whatever else is listed.

nowxisxforever
June 30th, 2009, 03:09 PM

This is the biggest reason why I'm looking into Indian washing and am toying with the idea of trying soapnuts. I should know what it is that I'm washing my hair with.

Right now I'm being a bit lazy with SLS-based shampoos, but I don't like them.