PDA

View Full Version : vitamins

redneckprincess
June 29th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I am already taking Biotin, prenatals, and gelatin for hair growth what else can/should i take to help maximise growth and more importantly health?

may1em
June 29th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Zinc is supposed to help the anti-shed forces.

kam984420
June 29th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I am already taking Biotin, prenatals, and gelatin for hair growth what else can/should i take to help maximise growth and more importantly health?

Im also taking biotin. They say MSM helps lengthen the antagen phase of your hair cycle and thus, lets the hair grow longer. Im also taking another vitamin B supplement which i will continue to take since my hair is growing pretty fast.:cheese:

Dars
June 29th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Nutritious foods, better than anything a pill can offer. :twocents: I have a great book on this (food sources to vitamins/minerals), if you want I can type up some information. :)

OhioLisa
June 29th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Nutritious foods, better than anything a pill can offer. :twocents: I have a great book on this (food sources to vitamins/minerals), if you want I can type up some information. :)

Agreed. Good diet is your best bet.

Natalia
June 29th, 2009, 10:15 PM

I again will parrot that absolutly nothing can compare to a good diet. Even when you have all the nutrients (like hospital elimental diets) you cant survive like you do on food.

To answer your question (and ask another) does your prenatal contain all the other B-vitamins? If not you may want to make that biotin a B-complex. Biotin is the top hair one but they all benefit your health and therefore your hair. Sillica is popular for hair i havent tried it though. Personally i would sugest a EFA (essential fatty acid) supplement. They come in pills or liquids. You can also get them vegan if the need be. Right now im taking cod liver oil by carlsons. I havent taken it long enough to see hair results (im taking it for the vitamin D as well as the EFA's) but i am hopeful. I am mostly vegetarian (really just a chating semi-pescatarian :p) so my fats some mainly from avacados (since i cant have nuts) and some fishes.

Fats are important for hair and skin health and paying attention to your omega ratios (3's to 6's) helps too. I like to keep my 3's extra high since i have inflamation problems and if my body is fighting inflamations its not working on my hair :).

Oh MSM is another one i see kam984420 already mentioned. Just a note if yout ake the powder it may or may not gie you a little runny nose for a few minutes. Not sure if its just me though :shrug:

MomoKoNoHanna
June 29th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I am currently taking skin, hair and nail tablets. They are by blackmores (tried others but these seem to be the best) they have all you need for hair growth and more. These contain: Biotin, Silca (great for nails and hair! can stimulate hair growth), zinc, B5, folic acid, vatamin c, Horsetail, silicon dioxide, Maganese, Betacarotene and silicon dioxide. I find they work wonders with my hair, skin and nails! I also take fish oil which is suppose to be good for hair and skin as well. I highly reommend finding a hair, skin and nail multi-vatamins.

Please read up on vatamins though or ask your doctor because you can over dose on some like iron and get really sick because of it. As others have said improving your diet should be part of the process. Vatamins should be taken only as a 'insurence'.

I can vouch for the diet changes to as I have improved my diet significantly since deciding I want healthy, longer hair. It usually takes 3months to kick old habbits so bye bye Mac Donalds I no longer crave you!!! If your looking at a healthier diet option I advise changing all the bad things to good things. Like if you are craving sugar go for grapes or some fruit that is naturally high in sugar or even star fruit yummy!!! Star fruit is a super fruit!!! I'm still improving my diet as we speak but it does make a difference to the apperance and overall health of your hair. Oh and excersise stimulates growth as well (walking counts).

may1em
June 29th, 2009, 11:52 PM
MomoKoNoHanna,
The orange font you use is hard to read, and I have good (corrected) vision.

Echoing a bunch of others - a balanced diet is best. I take a pile of supplements myself, but I'm phasing out the multi as soon as I run out in favor of things I don't get enough of in my diet, like calcium and vitamin D (I'm lactose intolerant and hate dairy, and it's pretty difficult to eat enough leafy greens to compensate). Vitamin D is about the one thing most experts say you should take supplements for because for a lot of us, getting the required amount of sunlight to produce it is harmful to our skin.

If you take fat-soluble vitamins, be careful not to overdo them, as your body stores what you don't need. Water soluble vitamins, if you take too much, just give you expensive urine.

For example, I take Vitamin E, but only every other day. Minerals are also easy to overload on, so I take iron only on the days I don't take vitamin E.

I'm going to take my supplements until they're gone. I'll still take the D, the calcium, and the probiotics (they do seem to keep things, er, moving right along), and will reintroduce the others only if I notice a significant decrease in well-being.

Natalia
June 30th, 2009, 12:02 AM
If you take fat-soluble vitamins, be careful not to overdo them, as your body stores what you don't need. Water soluble vitamins, if you take too much, just give you expensive urine.

Excellent advice may1em! I am always forgetting to add that it is so second nature to me. My sister is a nutritionist so i got that lecture about 8 times a month :p hahaha. Thank you for remembering for the rest of us :D

may1em
June 30th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Excellent advice may1em! I am always forgetting to add that it is so second nature to me. My sister is a nutritionist so i got that lecture about 8 times a month :p hahaha. Thank you for remembering for the rest of us :D

Not a problem! Anything in excess carries the risk of serious side effects.

Also, when taking more than one combined vitamin (like if you have a multivitamin and then a hair-skin-nails supplement), make sure the combined amounts of shared ingredients is still healthy. And keep in mind that fortified foods sometimes have pill-level amounts of vitamins in them. If you eat Total for breakfast, you can probably skip the vitamins that day.

Natalia
June 30th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Not a problem! Anything in excess carries the risk of serious side effects.

Also, when taking more than one combined vitamin (like if you have a multivitamin and then a hair-skin-nails supplement), make sure the combined amounts of shared ingredients is still healthy. And keep in mind that fortified foods sometimes have pill-level amounts of vitamins in them. If you eat Total for breakfast, you can probably skip the vitamins that day.

Yeah i know what you mean! I cant get my friends to take a simple multi (even the fun chewable kind) but i can get them to eat total or the like 3 - 5 times a week :rolleyes: . Also for anyone interested you can find many vitamin calculators online that use the tables set forth for the upper toilerable intake per the FDA as well as the daily reccomended intake :)

MomoKoNoHanna
June 30th, 2009, 12:32 AM
MomoKoNoHanna,
The orange font you use is hard to read, and I have good (corrected) vision.

Sorry about that! I usually just highlight everything to read it ( i have 4-5+ vision eh really thick lenses) thanks for the note on that I never realised how light it looked against the different backgrounds will change for future :)

may1em
June 30th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Yeah i know what you mean! I cant get my friends to take a simple multi (even the fun chewable kind) but i can get them to eat total or the like 3 - 5 times a week :rolleyes: . Also for anyone interested you can find many vitamin calculators online that use the tables set forth for the upper toilerable intake per the FDA as well as the daily reccomended intake :)

Well, some flavors of Total are really yummy (I like their raisin bran and they have something with clusters), and multivitamins tend towards the hard to swallow (though the fun chewable kind wouldn't have that problem). I would buy Total more except that it's almost never on sale.

There's a good Vitamin C supplement available in Europe that you drop in water and it makes a fizzy drink. I can't remember what that was called (it came in a yellow/orange tube), but I liked it when I was in Spain, and my sister fell in love with it when she was in the UK. I think a lot of adults would take their vitamins in fizzy drink form.

Sorry about that! I usually just highlight everything to read it ( i have 4-5+ vision eh really thick lenses) thanks for the note on that I never realised how light it looked against the different backgrounds will change for future :)

Not a problem! My vision's good when I have my contacts in or glasses on (I can't use the computer without them), but there are others not so lucky. And computer monitors and browser settings can be really screwy sometimes and not give us a good idea of what it looks like to others. I used to have problems with AIM fonts that looked good on my computer but were too hard for my parents to read. I'd have hated it for them to not tell me and do an electronic smile and nod!

maaria
June 30th, 2009, 01:56 AM
I had a major hair shedding a few months ago, I went to my doctor and she took a blodtest and there she could see that I needed more zink. So now I take zink twice a day, my hair have start growing again, feels fantasic.

maaria
June 30th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Every morning IŽll take vitamins, drop in water and get a fizzy drink to drink up. I hate pills, have difficulty to swallow them.
Here in sweden we have c-vitamin with minerals, we have also "Berocca performance" a green tube.:)

hennaphile
June 30th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Borage oil
Silica
L-cysteine
multi

I'm going to go back to just a multi and evening primrose when I run out of the rest

redneckprincess
June 30th, 2009, 07:56 AM
thanks!!! I do eat a very healthy diet I dont like fast food and actually rairly ever eat out, I dont like other peoples cooking, lol

Pegasus Marsters
June 30th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I've found that a good multivitamin makes a huge difference to the growth and strength of my hair and nails. A chewable multivitamin is the best kind, because those huge horse tablets are hard for the body to digest. Mine was only a couple of pounds for a 60 day supply, and I've been taking it for 2 months now and my nails are growing sooo fast. I think my hair might be too!

Fairlight63
June 30th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Maaria,
I was wondering how many mg is the zinc that you are taking & the brand? I am also going through a shedding time.
Thank you!

bakertwins2004
June 30th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I take

Fish oil
Biotin
Hair, skin & nail multi
Calcium and vit D

These seem to be working for me and are things I don't tend to get enough of in my diet. I take two daily RX meds so adding these in is not a issue for me.

free_hug
June 30th, 2009, 10:42 AM
so water-solubles (B, C) are safe to take every day,
but we should take care with fat-solubles, because the body stores them so we could "OD" on them :) correct me if i'm wrong!

are all the rest fat-solubles? how about biotin? is it the same as vitamin H?

redneckprincess
June 30th, 2009, 10:57 AM
biotin is vitiman H i do believe