PDA

View Full Version : 'Pimping' the forum on other websites ;)

nowxisxforever
June 29th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I've noticed recently that I tend to point people towards LHC a lot. I'm on Gaia and roll around the Fashion & Style forum a fair bit to try to provide a counter-opinion on a lot of the standard hair care knowledge. I suppose I irritate some of the folks there by being a bit contrary, but I've had a lot of people thank me for the info on CO, oils, sulfates/cones, etc. which makes it worthwhile... but I also link LHC in my signature as well as point wannabe-longhairs and existing longhairs towards LHC if they seem remotely interested in long hair knowledge, and point them to our articles here.

Does anyone else do this or do you mostly keep LHC and everything else separate?

If you do point people here from other places, where do you point them here from, if you don't mind saying?

Were you pointed here from someone on another forum, or someone IRL?

I found LHC from the longhair community on LJ! I don't visit there as much as I perhaps should, but I love LHC! :cheese:

nowxisxforever
June 29th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I can't be the only person that does this? :(

EdG
June 29th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I have a link to LHC on the links page on my personal website (http://www.edgrochowski.com/links.htm).

I'm certain my website gets more hits from links on LHC than LHC gets from the link on my website. ;)
Ed

Speckla
June 29th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I do it on nc.com.

redcelticcurls
June 29th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I do it on nc.com.

Me too, but I've probably pimped nc more here than lhc there, lol.

nowxisxforever
June 29th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I have a link to LHC on the links page on my personal website (http://www.edgrochowski.com/links.htm).

I'm certain my website gets more hits from links on LHC than LHC gets from the link on my website. ;)
Ed

Hahah I'm sure! Still a good way to do it though I think. :)

GlassEyes
June 29th, 2009, 07:02 PM
*raises hand*

I will tell you now that I was one of those people you irritated the crap out of on Gaia. xD I'm fairly sure I got into arguments with you in the forums at some point or another.

:lol: And now all I can do is thank you. :-P I'm so glad I no longer care enough to post on that forum. Ugh. I went back and read some of my posts the other day. It was AWFUL. XD; I slightly hate the fact that, for a while, I was a borderline "prommie" there.

nowxisxforever
June 29th, 2009, 07:04 PM

Oh fun! I wish I had more curl :(

Your hair is GORGEOUS by the way!

redcelticcurls
June 29th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Oh fun! I wish I had more curl :(

Your hair is GORGEOUS by the way!

Thank you! :)

I was just admiring your length shot on your other thread! It looks wonderful.

nowxisxforever
June 29th, 2009, 07:06 PM
*raises hand*

I will tell you now that I was one of those people you irritated the crap out of on Gaia. xD I'm fairly sure I got into arguments with you in the forums at some point or another.

:lol: And now all I can do is thank you. :-P I'm so glad I no longer care enough to post on that forum. Ugh. I went back and read some of my posts the other day. It was AWFUL. XD; I slightly hate the fact that, for a while, I was a borderline "prommie" there.

Hahaha sorry hon! I don't *mean* to irritate people, and actually have tried to be a bit less of a hair-extremist of late to boost my credibility a little >____>

You're welcome, hahaha... Onoez! An ex-Gaia (borderline) prommie? ;) I generally don't go on Gaia for much lately, just enough to poke at F&S and change how my avatar looks. It's hard trying to hide the fact that I'm a grombie.

nowxisxforever
June 29th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Thank you! :)

I was just admiring your length shot on your other thread! It looks wonderful.

Oh, thanks! Hehe :)

kaminagai
June 29th, 2009, 07:07 PM
A guy on a beard forum posted a link to LHC. Yes, yes, yes, a beard forum. It's pretty funny.

kaminagai
June 29th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I just wanted to add; the link on the beard forum is what brought me to LHC, and I think this place rocks.

nowxisxforever
June 29th, 2009, 07:11 PM
A guy on a beard forum posted a link to LHC. Yes, yes, yes, a beard forum. It's pretty funny.

A beard forum! That's new! Cool though :]

GlassEyes
June 29th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Hahaha sorry hon! I don't *mean* to irritate people, and actually have tried to be a bit less of a hair-extremist of late to boost my credibility a little >____>

You're welcome, hahaha... Onoez! An ex-Gaia (borderline) prommie? ;) I generally don't go on Gaia for much lately, just enough to poke at F&S and change how my avatar looks. It's hard trying to hide the fact that I'm a grombie.
XD Don't worry about it. It's all for the best, I suppose.

And I wouldn't call myself a prommie, really--that's arrogant, but, then again, I could care less about gaia popularity- but I was fairly well known on the forum. Started a guild based off it that practically KILLED the forum for months. xD;

I'm never on there anymore unless I'm messing with my avatar, nevermind in the F&S. I could care less about the opinions of others on the way I dress (most of the time), and don't need the anonymity of a bunch of teeny-bopping b-tards to do that. :p

I was e.n.t.r.o.p.y, if you're curious. xD;

nowxisxforever
June 29th, 2009, 07:31 PM
XD Don't worry about it. It's all for the best, I suppose.

And I wouldn't call myself a prommie, really--that's arrogant, but, then again, I could care less about gaia popularity- but I was fairly well known on the forum. Started a guild based off it that practically KILLED the forum for months. xD;

I'm never on there anymore unless I'm messing with my avatar, nevermind in the F&S. I could care less about the opinions of others on the way I dress (most of the time), and don't need the anonymity of a bunch of teeny-bopping b-tards to do that. :p

I was e.n.t.r.o.p.y, if you're curious. xD;

Hahaha nice!

Yes I think I remember you :)

redneckprincess
June 29th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I pimp out TLHC quite often on Cafemom in the Hair and makeup forum but I dont know if anyone has joined as a result of my "pimping", lol:cheese::cool::cheese:

ReddishRocks
June 29th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Ditto, but I think I do a lot of cross-pollination. ;) I started out at NC.com, then made my way here (pretty sure I followed RedCelticCurls or Speckla... one of those two!). :D

Rivanariko
June 29th, 2009, 11:12 PM
haha, I actually just found LHC as a result of your signature on Gaia while browsing forums about a week ago! I've been browsing the forums here and reading articles like crazy. I had no idea how abusive I was being to my poor hair! I'm working on reforming, and my hair seems quite happy about it, lol. So Thank You!

Heavenly Locks
June 29th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I do! I've sucked a few over from the horse forum I am on. :) Yeah for the pimp-ers (that's not a word! :p)

Quixii
June 30th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Hehe! Every time I see you on there I just get this weird sense of pride. Like, "Oh, that's the girl that got me to join the site I now really enjoy! Yay!" But yeah, I'm not as forceful as you, but I do occasionally mention the site on Gaia. I also linked to it on Facebook and occasionally pester my mother, since I think she would get some useful information from here. =D

nowxisxforever
June 30th, 2009, 01:28 AM
haha, I actually just found LHC as a result of your signature on Gaia while browsing forums about a week ago! I've been browsing the forums here and reading articles like crazy. I had no idea how abusive I was being to my poor hair! I'm working on reforming, and my hair seems quite happy about it, lol. So Thank You!

Yay!! I love it when I hear things like that ^____^

You're welcome, and I'm glad you like LHC! :cheese:

nowxisxforever
June 30th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Hehe! Every time I see you on there I just get this weird sense of pride. Like, "Oh, that's the girl that got me to join the site I now really enjoy! Yay!" But yeah, I'm not as forceful as you, but I do occasionally mention the site on Gaia. I also linked to it on Facebook and occasionally pester my mother, since I think she would get some useful information from here. =D

Haha yay!! Yeah I'm a bit forceful, but I try to be nice :\ Sometimes, anyway. I'm glad you like LHC!! :D

Lohari
June 30th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I've sometimes felt like "Hmm, maybe I should link LHC so she/he could learn something about proper haircare... Hmmm.", but somehow I have never done it. Yet. I'm not too active on internet communitys (I'm on Gaia too, btw XD) that I would see much people who abuse their hair and don't realise what is wrong. But someday I will, someday...

Isilme
June 30th, 2009, 03:48 AM
what is this Gaia you are all talking about? I'm over at Mookychick at times (but it seems like it's generally younger people there so I don't always have much in common with the members but the articles are funny) and I'm sure I have irritated some people over there with my links to LHC.

GlassEyes
June 30th, 2009, 05:10 AM
what is this Gaia you are all talking about? I'm over at Mookychick at times (but it seems like it's generally younger people there so I don't always have much in common with the members but the articles are funny) and I'm sure I have irritated some people over there with my links to LHC.

www.gaiaonline.com

nowxisxforever
June 30th, 2009, 08:50 AM

Gaia is the site GlassEyes linked... it's a big forum designed for teens but there are plenty of adults bumping around, especially ones that've been on there since they were teenagers. An ex of mine made me get an account there, elsewise I never would've... and so I dress up my avatar and then poke around their fashion& style section on the hair threads, lol. :x

soopahgrover
June 30th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I remember people pointing here years ago on the hairboutique.com boards that I used to frequent, but I didn't pick this board up then, probably because I was so into Hair Boutique.

It feels to me like there's too much traffic here... it's overwhelming!
I guess this is proof that the internet is more mainstream now than it was 5-7 years ago.

ButterCup02
June 30th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I do! I've sucked a few over from the horse forum I am on. :) Yeah for the pimp-ers (that's not a word! :p)

*raises hand* I'm one of your recruits LOL! But you already know that :)

I haven't told too many people on line about it, but I have told several of my off line friends. Not sure if they've checked it out or not! I did personally sit at my one friend's computer with her and show her NightShade's article on hair damage LOL!

(BTW, the smilies here are wicked!!! :cheer::beerchug: LOL!)

GlassEyes
June 30th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I guess this is proof that the internet is more mainstream now than it was 5-7 years ago.

o-o You think LHC has too much traffic? XD Try Gaia. It's one of the biggest online forums in the history of the net.

nowxisxforever
June 30th, 2009, 09:21 AM
o-o You think LHC has too much traffic? XD Try Gaia. It's one of the biggest online forums in the history of the net.

This. LHC is perfect-- not as fast as Gaia (I just posted my thread in the GD...Oh, I refreshed 2 seconds later and it's not on the front page anymore! Nooo!) but not as slow as some other forums (I posted my thread three weeks ago and not only has no one responded, but there's no new threads...) - It's a nice moderately fast pace. Plenty of new material, not overwhelming, and not stagnant.

Periwinkle
June 30th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I'm a member (+ moderator) over at one of the largest teen forums on the net. I followed a link from there to get to LHC, and I do occasionally 'pimp' LHC over there, especially when talking about LoL.

RedStripe
June 30th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I've linked to LHC a couple of times from Bhuz. It's a forum for belly dancers, and every once in a while someone posts a thread with a question about hair.

Fifty-Five
June 30th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I don't know if I've mentioned LHC on other forums, but I know I've gotten a few people to join. Two of whom I met on Gaia, and one I met on facebook. =P I think my sister still floats around on here, browsing a such. =3

Rivanariko
June 30th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I also got into Gaia via an ex-boyfriend. I don't venture into the main forums all that much anymore, mostly I stick to my horse guilds where my friends are, but if I'm bored I'll lurk around some of the other forums, and that's where I saw your sig. :)

But wow, I can't believe how many Gaians there are on here. o.O

nowxisxforever
June 30th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I also got into Gaia via an ex-boyfriend. I don't venture into the main forums all that much anymore, mostly I stick to my horse guilds where my friends are, but if I'm bored I'll lurk around some of the other forums, and that's where I saw your sig. :)

But wow, I can't believe how many Gaians there are on here. o.O

Yaaay!

I don't go into the GD much anymore because I just find it so hard to care about it. I can care about the F&S section because there's just so much silliness about hair. Poking around F&S is a new hobby of mine... when a friend asks what I'm doing I tell them I'm either reading LHC or being Right on Gaia. Yes, Right with a capital R. ;) (I know, I know-- different strokes, my way isn't the only way-- but SOMEONE has to counteract all the silly product worshipping!)

Rivanariko
June 30th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Yaaay!

I don't go into the GD much anymore because I just find it so hard to care about it. I can care about the F&S section because there's just so much silliness about hair. Poking around F&S is a new hobby of mine... when a friend asks what I'm doing I tell them I'm either reading LHC or being Right on Gaia. Yes, Right with a capital R. ;) (I know, I know-- different strokes, my way isn't the only way-- but SOMEONE has to counteract all the silly product worshipping!) Haha! I know EXACTLY what you mean! I avoid the GD like the plague anymore. I hung out there when I first joined (wow, 5 years ago? Has it really been that long? I feel old...) but I don't even lurk there anymore. I haunt the LD from time to time, which is probably where I found you.
I'm the resident encyclopedia in the horse guilds though. :D

enfys
June 30th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I remember people pointing here years ago on the hairboutique.com boards that I used to frequent, but I didn't pick this board up then, probably because I was so into Hair Boutique.

Did you have the same name? If so, I remember you. If not someone robbed your name. It's almost too slow now on hairboutique.com so I rarely go there now. It laid a good foundation for me though.

I don't pimp LHC out because the people I'd be pimping to either already know about it, or would have no interest at all.

Krystyle
June 30th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I've mentioned it in some youtube comments.

nowxisxforever
June 30th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Haha! I know EXACTLY what you mean! I avoid the GD like the plague anymore. I hung out there when I first joined (wow, 5 years ago? Has it really been that long? I feel old...) but I don't even lurk there anymore. I haunt the LD from time to time, which is probably where I found you.
I'm the resident encyclopedia in the horse guilds though. :D

Possibly! I venture out to the LD periodically when there isn't anything going on in F&S or LHC.

Dec 2004 here... I feel old too :(

GlennaGirl
June 30th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I haven't, really. I don't know why, but I think of LHC as more of a thing that people who love long hair or want to do better by their hair will find on their own. I think of it as...a place that people who really do love hair gravitate.

I don't know whether that makes sense!

Anyway...therefore, I really don't pimp LHC. I remember I found it Googling something to the effect of "dye hair blonde without damage," believe it or not. One of the hits was a post here on LHC. I feel that a certain class of people is here--even as different as we all are. There's just...something that binds us together and that can't be fished for and found.

Okay. Enough LHC existentialism for the day. :P

nowxisxforever
June 30th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I haven't, really. I don't know why, but I think of LHC as more of a thing that people who love long hair or want to do better by their hair will find on their own. I think of it as...a place that people who really do love hair gravitate.

I don't know whether that makes sense!

Anyway...therefore, I really don't pimp LHC. I remember I found it Googling something to the effect of "dye hair blonde without damage," believe it or not. One of the hits was a post here on LHC. I feel that a certain class of people is here--even as different as we all are. There's just...something that binds us together and that can't be fished for and found.

Okay. Enough LHC existentialism for the day. :P

Yes, although... not everyone will find it by chance that really should be here.

Generally if someone is willing to throw what they thought they knew about hair out the window and learn an alternative way, they belong here. People that come in and are negative for about 20 posts and then leave? Even if they stumbled in by chance, they weren't meant to be here, because they just don't think like we do and aren't willing to consider something different.