PDA

View Full Version : Do particular hair types grow faster?

abritta3
June 29th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Do particular hair types grow faster? It seems that people with 1a hair (or close to that end of the spectrum) seem to get more monthly growth than us on the other end of the spectrum...could shrinkage just be to blame?
Just a thought ;)

neon-dream
June 29th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Hmm interesting question!
I think it's possibly just shrinkage, but I'll be watching this thread to see what other people think!

Buddaphlyy
June 29th, 2009, 06:14 PM
A persons actual growth rate and the appearance of growth are two very different things. I don't think any hair types grow faster than others. I'm sure that if curlies always straightened or straight hairs always curled when they measure, the results would be the same.

Bene
June 29th, 2009, 06:22 PM
i don't think any type of hair grows faster, i think it's somewhat harder to get an accurate measurement with curly hair. curls are contingent on so many factors, humidity, manipulation, etc. so, if one month you measure at one length, and two months later you measure at another, it could possibly appear to not have grown at all or even shrunk.

Longlocks3
June 29th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I think my hair grows pretty fast! But I sometimes put soft rollers in my hair at night and if I really try I can get it so curly that instead of being TBL, it's like waist maybe even BSL. So this does lead me to think that curlies grow just the same it's just all taken up in the curls!

AnneAdeline
June 29th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I think the actual growth rate depends on genetics, and can vary independent of hair type.
But as to what looks like is growing faster, definitely straight hair. With 1 hair, all the growth translates directly into length. But with curls, not so much.

redcelticcurls
June 29th, 2009, 08:25 PM
A persons actual growth rate and the appearance of growth are two very different things. I don't think any hair types grow faster than others. I'm sure that if curlies always straightened or straight hairs always curled when they measure, the results would be the same.

This.

I measure wet for consistency in measuring. That number isn't what you see, but I do have it, albeit wrapped up in some curl.

I recall once complimenting a type 1 on her waist length hair. She told me that perhaps mine would get that long someday too. Oddly enough, at that time, a blowout on me would have had me at barely hip length. She didn't think that I had just as much hair as she did, if not more, but it was caught up in shrinkage.

ReddishRocks
June 29th, 2009, 09:22 PM
As others have said, I think curl pattern just tends to eat up length. In my case, as I get longer, it SEEMS as though I'm getting longer and longer faster and faster because the weight of my hair is pulling out my curl pattern as it goes. Kind of a bonus if you're going for length. ;)

ericthegreat
June 29th, 2009, 11:08 PM
My growth rate is exceptionally fast. I remember one exceptionally fast rate of growth was between May of 2007 to July 2007. At that time I still received regular trims at my hair salon. I trimmed about an inch off in May of 2007, and my hair fell below middle back. By July I was already at the small of my back reaching towards waist! That July I did a dusting of about 1/2 an inch. Actually, an even better example is when I was a child and my parents would force me to get crew cuts. Within 3 months into the school year, I would already be sporting a bowl cut bob and when it got "too long" for their liking it was back to the clippers again. It was this endless cycle of forced childhood haircuts that made me ever the more vigilant to grow my hair to terminal once I grew too big for them to to drag to the barbershop!

carinkla
June 30th, 2009, 03:19 AM
mm I have no idea..my measure growth is at best 1 cm a month and one of my hairtwins has even had a worse growth rate..