PDA

View Full Version : Odd stretch test results for protein/moisture balance

MunchkinBubble
June 29th, 2009, 04:01 PM
My hair has been pretty dry and dull lately. The ends are terrible and I've been shedding even more than usual (and usual=quite a bit). I assumed it was a lack of moisture as my hair is so brittle and dry looking - and every time I run a comb through it it brings with it at least 15 hairs (even when its tangle free). So I've done a few moisture treatments over the last couple weeks, increased the oilings, and reduced the washes. Things haven't gotten worse, but they defintiely haven't gotten better.

So now I'm thinking maybe I need protein?
I tried the stretch test but instead of breaking immediately, and instead of stretching then breaking, I stretched it a bit (10%?) and when I released the tension my hair instantly curled up like a curly-q. (Kinda like when you run scissors along a ribbon to make it curl.) I should mention my hair is very very straight. When I stretched it again it broke fairly easily. I tried it again with another hair and the same thing happened (curled right up after releasing tension).

Does anyone know what this means? Does this mean my hair is weak and in need of protein? Or does this mean my hair is dry and in need of moisture?

Or is it possible to need both?

Thanks!

dragonfrog
June 29th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I'm sorry, I don't know the answer. But some of my hairs did this the other day when I did a strand test, so I'll be watching this thread for answers too :)

theshadowpuppet
June 29th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Sounds like my hair. I'm not sure, though.

birdiefu
June 29th, 2009, 05:24 PM
The stretch test is best done with a wet hair - was yours wet?

General results for the test are:
Stretches about 30% and returns to normal state - healthy hair
Stretches 30% or more, does not return to a normal state - needs protein
Does not stretch very far, breaks instead - needs moisture.

From what you describe, it sounds like your hair is in need of protein. Do you have a history of chemical treatments on your hair, or lots of heat styling? Usually virgin hair doesn't need much additional protein, but it depends on the individual head of hair, too. It is also possible to need both protein and moisture, but it is such a balancing act that it's best to add what your hair seems to need at the moment. However, I would *always* follow a protein treatment with a deep moisture treatment.

HTH!

ETA: Normal stretch length can be from 20-30%, it's not exact. But you may want to try that far on another wet strand and see what happens.

redcelticcurls
June 29th, 2009, 05:34 PM
It sounds as if your hair may be a little too elastic and needing some protein. Fine hair doesn't contain as much protein as coarse hair, and it sometimes needs some help with protein treatments.

MunchkinBubble
June 30th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks guys!

I bought a protein treatment last night that I'm going to try tomorrow (wash day). I'll let you know how it goes!

teela1978
June 30th, 2009, 04:29 PM
(is anyone else stretching all their shed hairs now? it's kinda fun... :))

birdiefu
June 30th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Hope the treatment works well! Remember to do a moisture treatment when you are done, or you can end up with the opposite problem of too much protein/too little moisture.

Teela - it is fun. :p I usually twist both ends around the fingers of either hand (like you are about to floss your teeth), otherwise I am never sure if its actually stretching or just pulling through my fingers.

Kirin
June 30th, 2009, 07:06 PM
It needs protein.

Hair that stretches out a bit, then springs into that shape lacks the protein bonds it requires in healthy hair.

Hair that needs protein might feel gummy or pasty when wet, snarly and yet at the same time soft. I would think thats what your hair is crying out for currently.

Speckla
June 30th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I'm wondering if this can also mean hair needs more internal protein - as in a diet more rich in protein. I noticed that my hair got stronger and less like the above mentioned when I added more protein in my diet.

redcelticcurls
June 30th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I'm wondering if this can also mean hair needs more internal protein - as in a diet more rich in protein. I noticed that my hair got stronger and less like the above mentioned when I added more protein in my diet.

I could see that making sense for new growth, but, I wonder if it would really affect the hair portion that is already out of the follicle.

Buddaphlyy
July 1st, 2009, 10:27 AM
I could see that making sense for new growth, but, I wonder if it would really affect the hair portion that is already out of the follicle.

No it wouldn't. Hair thats already grown missed out so to speak.

teela1978
July 1st, 2009, 05:36 PM
It needs protein.

Hair that stretches out a bit, then springs into that shape lacks the protein bonds it requires in healthy hair.

On the other hand, if you overstretch your hair (mine goes out pretty far if I'm careful enough, almost 2x as long!... I'm not having a very productive day :)) it definitely goes all curly. A little stretch (10-20%) doesn't seem to make that change though.