PDA

View Full Version : Question to all CURLIES!

Sofoulee
June 29th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Hello all!

After a long leave of absence, I wanted to put up just a few new pictures to track my growth and progress. I noticed that my hair looks just about the same length or shorter *gasp* when compared to the photos taken a few months ago.:mad: I haven't really trimmed anything other than frayed ends, and my routine hasn't varied that much, so I really can't attribute it to that.

Now, I can't really complain, because what it seems like to me is that my curls have gotten much tighter. And maybe that's what is making them look shorter.

This photo was taken back in November of 2008:
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc237/sofoulee/user11798_pic24643_1226279072.jpg

and this one was taken yesterday: June 28th, 2009:
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc237/sofoulee/user11798_pic43038_1246298146.jpg

Does it seem to you like the curls in the first picture are looser than the ones in the second? Or is it just all in my head?

I'm not really sure why, maybe it has something to do with their health and/or moisture in the air? I live in Florida, and goodness knows it's humid down here especially in the summer.

Either way I was wondering if any of you other curlies or wavies have had problems with this "issue" -if I can even call it that...

Thank you in advance!

ps - I finally got all of my natural color back! YAY!

Curlsgirl
June 29th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Ah the blessings and cursings of curls!!! Yes it definitely looks like a tighter curl in the second pic and I am sure that's why it seems shorter. It's gorgeous however so just try to remember it's growing, just takes so much longer to SEE when you are a curly! Enjoy it, it's really looking beautiful!!! Glad you are back!

Cherry_Sprinkle
June 29th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Your curls I think are much tighter in the second photo and I have noticed in mine (though I am not nearly as curly as you are) that the healthier my hair becomes the more of my length my curls take up.. my hair reaches waist length when wet or being pulled, yet when its dry and curly it fals just below BSL.

and... :thud: your hair is lovely!

Sofoulee
June 29th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Thank you so much Curlsgirl! You're hair is looking gorgeous!

and I am in awe of your color Cherry Sprinkle, your hair is beautiful.

demitasse
June 29th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I could take a picture of my hair every single day for 30 days and I'd come up with 30 different lengths depending on how it dried, when it was last washed, what the weather is like, when it was last combed, and a million different factors. Humidity makes my hair look like it's a couple types curlier than it actually is, shortening it. I think only the pin straight gals don't have such wild fluctuations in the appearance of their length.

Your curls look beautifully healthy and shiny though. :)

redcelticcurls
June 29th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Welcome to the world of high summer dew points.

Higher dew points will cause shrinkage, and drier dew points usually result in a looser curl pattern.

That's why I measure my hair wet, lol. My dry length varies from day to day and season to season.

Here (http://pittsburghcurly.wordpress.com/2009/01/23/dew-points-in-pictures/) is a set of pics of what seasonal dew point differences can do to me.

handsclean
June 29th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Yes, they do look tighter. You have beautiful hair, by the way :) This happens to me too.. My hair recently got curlier, and now it feels so short all of the time :( Wet, though, it is very long.

Ryanne
June 29th, 2009, 04:21 PM
They definitely look tighter in the second one, shinier too.

GypsyGoddess
June 29th, 2009, 04:28 PM
They look amazing! When my hair was long still (ah, the days) the length would vary a lot depending on humidity and what styling products I used. But your hair looks great, even if you can't see a difference in length, your curl structure is awesome.

QueenMadge
June 29th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Me, I have hair that seems stuck. I do think your curls in the first photo are a little looser than in the second photo.

My hair has been lack luster as far as curling and I think it is because I have not gotten the moisture part right. I am trying different conditioners to see if I can find one that works best.

When I look at my hair compared to the last 6 months I feel like it is not growing at all. I will confirm this when I have my husband help me measure.

QueenMadge
June 29th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Your hair looks wonderfully healthy in your photos btw.

Bunnyhare
June 29th, 2009, 05:32 PM
yes,the curls look tighter in the second pic.
i have the same, my hair actually is curlier when longer...like it pulls the curl tighter into spirals..and when i moved from FL to UT, it went striaight for a while! Your curls are shiny and look lovley. and you are very pretty too, its only occasionally i see a face here!

bigdreamer
June 29th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I'm totally in awe that you live in Florida and you do not have a big frizzy pile of hair! That humidity down there is tough. Your curls are gorgeous and your hair must be very healthy, that's so great, good for you!

curls2grow
June 29th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Glad you are back, Sofoulee! We have the same hair type, except that yours always looks gorgeous! :D My hair is definitely shrinking more these days and my curls are tighter. Here I am taking better care of it, and it looks shorter no matter what I do. I am hoping my hair suprises me in October when humidity or dew points start to be more curl-friendly. :cheese:

Aries_jb
June 29th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I'm totally in awe that you live in Florida and you do not have a big frizzy pile of hair! That humidity down there is tough. Your curls are gorgeous and your hair must be very healthy, that's so great, good for you!

Second this! Humidity is my hair's mortal enemy, but you have such beautifully defined curls!

I know what you mean. I know my hair is getting longer, but it'll be months before I notice a difference in length. I think I've been here a bit longer than six months, and my hair looks relatively the same length as it did when I joined. I'm hoping that by the end of the year it will look BSL, even though it's waist length right now when soaking wet.

ncurls
June 29th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Hi! I think a lot of curlies are in the same boat depending on the curl type. For example, wet, my hair is BSL and dry it is barely shoulder length! How's that for shrinking in the humidity! :D

Paliele
June 29th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Your hair is so beautiful! I also think the curls look tighter in the second picture. I'm not a curly myself, but my sister is and her hair goes from waist to APL when it dries.

lora410
June 29th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Hey haven't seen you around for awhile; the curls definitely look tighter in the 2nd pict

Dars
June 29th, 2009, 10:26 PM
:thud:Wow, gorgeous curls! I would take note of the length post wash, you will probably be pleasantly surprised! :)

eyesofsummer
June 29th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I'm happy you're back, Sofoulee! Your curls look gorgeous, I can't believe you get no frizz living in FL this time of year! Such perfect ringlets, and shiny, too :D

s_tresses
June 30th, 2009, 12:20 AM
GORGEOUS hair.

curly girl fla
June 30th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I'm still in love with your hair, which looks even healthier and shinier in that second picture. I feel your pain with the Florida humidity/dew points...I never feel like my hair is growing...but I don't get the frizz-free, shiny, defined ringlets that you do, either. Beautiful :)

Sofoulee
June 30th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I want to say thank you to everyone for all your wonderful compliments!

I have to say, my curls definitely have a LOT of frizz in the summer, it was just the first time in a looong time that I'd worn it down like that so I tried to do it pretty.

For those who are interested:
Lots of conditioner (I even use a dollop when I get out of the shower as a leave-in) and mousse, sometimes gel to top it off, but not that night. That's pretty much it. And I just finger-comb and "plop" as I believe it's called, and after it dries a bit, some scrunching, but not too much. ;)

I'm glad to hear you guys agree with me about the curls being tighter... phew, I was starting to think I was making things up for the lack of growth.

:D Thank you all! You're the best.

GlassEyes
June 30th, 2009, 10:03 PM
They do look tighter, and that could be from both the healthier hair and from the humidity.

psvzum
June 30th, 2009, 10:56 PM
What beautiful curls you have! My curls (2C/3A) change with the season and I have to change products to get the effects I want. Your curls look amazing in both photo's : )

Debra83
July 1st, 2009, 02:42 AM
Beautiful curls. Curls give definite length problems though. The longer they get the curlier they get and then they don't show the proper length!

domonic_uk
July 2nd, 2009, 12:27 PM
You could always straighten it then compare the length to the previous hair straightened pictures

ladylibra
July 2nd, 2009, 01:50 PM
Okay now... don't take this the wrong way. It looks more like scraggly waves in the first picture, and the ends are thinner.

The second picture, your curls look "curlier," definitely a tighter curl. And the ends look better. I'm pretty sure that overall, your hair is healthier and that's why the curls are tighter and the ends are thicker. Your hair looks FABULOUS in the second picture! :D

To answer your other question - yes! I live with this problem, especially since I have more 3c hair on top/in front and more 4a hair in the back. When I use my Denman brush I can get my 3c hair to coil more like my 4a hair and it "matches" better. But, then it also gives me more shrinkage. :( If I detangle with a comb, my texture differences are more apparent, but I have less shrinkage.

And either way, my hair appears to grow bigger rather than longer, unless I compare what my hair looks like straightened.

PurpleAshes
July 2nd, 2009, 03:23 PM
Yes, your curls do look tighter.
I hate humidity too.. when air is humid the parts of my hair that are 3a end up looking like 3c, and the parts that are 3c look like some type of 4 xD