PDA

View Full Version : So how do you...

ShadowSwallow
June 29th, 2009, 12:02 PM
... shower without washing your hair?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm considering going back to using 'poo bars. I had excellent results from them the first time around, but the only problem (for me) was that my hair started to need to be washed less often than every 24hrs.

My body and face have very firmly told me that a once-a-day shower is completely non-negotiable for them, and I couldn't figure out how to shower without washing my hair. Do I just let it get wet? Will it be more greasy then? Do I try putting it in a shower cap? What?

Because I needed to be out every day I didn't feel like I could experiment... but now, I'm up to it.

So how do you do it?

Spike
June 29th, 2009, 12:08 PM
If my hair is long enough, I'll put it up in a simple bun. If I'm too short to bun, I'll use a shower cap.

demitasse
June 29th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I use a shower cap. They're cheap and easy to use. At your length, you should have no problem getting your hair under one. Just twist it a little on top of your head and use your other hand to slip it on. Then just keep tucking around the edges to make sure you've got it all.

Ryanne
June 29th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I bun it with a hairstick or hairscroo.

charlyee
June 29th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I use a shower cap also.

krissykins
June 29th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I too use a shower cap. I got three for like $2 at wal-mart and they last pretty long for me.

Gumball
June 29th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I just grab a giant claw clip and clip my hair up. Going about the rest of my shower I really just have to worry about not thrusting my head under the faucet. It's easy enough to grab a wash cloth and wash my face, if not just splashing water on my face with my hands.

natt i nord
June 29th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I only shower weekly. If needed I just wash a bit with a flannel in the evenings. That's enough to keep me unsmellable :D

abritta3
June 29th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I take a shower daily but I use the CO only method :)
My hair gets some moisture from the COs everyday and I oil after with damp hair.
There is shampoo in the shower but I just tend to ignore it...

Coriander
June 29th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I do this all the time... I will put my hair up in a bun or clip to keep it out of the water. If my scalp is feeling a bit overdone from the heat out here, I'll simply water down my hair and maybe do a bit of conditioner on the very ends. That way my head feels refreshed but I haven't shampooed it.

mira-chan
June 29th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Bun then shower cap.

Amoretti
June 29th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Just bun and keep my head out of the way of the water.
ETA: I also have the hand held shower option.

aisling
June 29th, 2009, 01:33 PM
No problem with a lovely hand held shower, they're definitely more versatile. I only put my hair up and it stays dry.

ButterCup02
June 29th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I usually put it in a bun or a clip and just don't put my head under the water :)

neon-dream
June 29th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I bun my hair then shower cap over the top of it :)

vampodrama
June 29th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Two words - detachable showerhead.

Heidi_234
June 29th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I put my hair up and then microfiber toobie on top to make sure it won't get wet by accidental sprays of water or the steam if it winter, and it's colder.

Peter
June 29th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I just ponytail my hair and keep my head out of the water. A few bits might get slightly wet but nothing noticeable.

Eden Iris
June 29th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I put it in a big old octopus clip that stays in the shower for that purpose. If my hair gets a bit damp that actually helps with styling.

enfys
June 29th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I put it in a big old octopus clip that stays in the shower for that purpose. If my hair gets a bit damp that actually helps with styling.

I have a shower clip too! An ugly pink thing.

I bring the shower head level with my neck so above the neck stays dry. I cleanse my face seperately.

Shower caps never worked so well for me but I have emergency ones.

Lohari
June 29th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I also have ugly plastic yellow claw-clips for the purpose of keeping my hair up when I'm taking a shower. They're so ugly that I couldn't wear them outside my house even if someone paid for it XD But yeah, put your hair up/in a showercap, step in the shower wash yourself and just watch that you won't wet your hair : D
sometimes I wash my bangs at the same time, it works if I'm careful and the rest of my hair won't get wet. But sometimes I get random wet spots, like having the roots and the tips dry but the middle wet. It looks funny!

masterofmidgets
June 29th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I either put my hair up in a quick bun or do braided pigtails and pin them up across the crown of my head. The first is good because it's quick, the second is better because less of my hair gets wet. (I had a shower cap, but I left it in CA and haven't bothered to buy a new one.)

Xandergrammy
June 29th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I clip mine up with 2 octopus clips.

viking_quest
June 29th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I bun it then put it in a showercap.

misspriss
June 29th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I usually put mine up in my turbie towel. If I have smoothed out my hair by damp bun or straightened it, I don't want it to get wet. I hate shower caps, because my head sweats in them, so I just use the towel. If I wear my hair curly, I don't shower without getting it wet. I just rinse it and condition a little on the ends. I sometimes wet and condition my hair without washing my body while I am wearing it curly.

Jinx2234
June 29th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I put my hair up with a claw clip, and move the showerhead so that its pointed more down instead of out. Usually my hair gets slightly damp, but only parts of it.

may1em
June 29th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I put it up in something made out of plastic, cloth, or metal, and face into the shower stream. When I rinse my back, I stand far enough away to keep my hair out of the water.

EdG
June 29th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I either use a shower cap, or fold up my hair and hold it over my head in the shower. The latter allows me to rinse my scalp. :)
Ed

Bene
June 29th, 2009, 06:27 PM
bun, then shower cap.

off topic, but has anyone noticed the hideous colors that shower caps come in? i'm currently tolerating this pepto bismol pink job... i snatch it off as soon as i'm out of the shower so i don't have to look at myself wearing it in the mirror.

Elphie
June 29th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I have the same, ugly yellow jaw clips that Lohari must have! I just clip it up and shower. I wash my face at the sink instead and I also have a hand-held shower in both my shower stall and my tub (they're separate) so I have a few options.

EdG
June 29th, 2009, 06:37 PM
off topic, but has anyone noticed the hideous colors that shower caps come in? i'm currently tolerating this pepto bismol pink job... i snatch it off as soon as i'm out of the shower so i don't have to look at myself wearing it in the mirror.I don't like that color either. I'm even more embarrassed by shower caps with floral prints. :lol:
Ed

Paliele
June 29th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I just bun mine on the (rare) occasions that I want to shower without getting my hair wet. It gets a few damp spots, but not enough that I feel the need to use a shower cap.

I use my shower cap almost exclusively for my henna treatments, but I don't mind the color (or lack thereof). It's just a cheapie clear plastic one from some hotel somewhere.

marzipanthecat
June 29th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Use a shower cap. I use one for exactly the same reason - I don't need to wash my hair every 24 hours, but I like to wash the rest of myself!

Despite what people think, yes, I can get all my hair under a shower cap easily...

marzipanthecat
June 29th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I don't like that color either. I'm even more embarrassed by shower caps with floral prints. :lol:
Ed

Oh, I am Queen of Tacky, I have a leopard print shower cap, and also a shower cap with pink cupcakes printed all over it, and also one with green frogs printed all over it...

I like kitsch!

Nyghtingale
June 29th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I bun it with a stick.

Dars
June 29th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I loop my ponytail so the ends are tucked in and chuck on a thin fabric headband to keep my fringe and curly bits at my nape tucked in.

rhysiana
June 29th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I either bun with the one remaining plastic stick I have from a pair that my hair broke the other one of, or I used the claw clip I keep in the shower. The claw clip works a lot less well than it used to at shorter lengths, so if my plastic stick ever dies, I think I will be very sad. Then I shower as normal. I don't mind if the edges of my hair (ends, around my face, whatever) get wet, so long as it is all mostly dry when I get out.

Flotsum
June 29th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I bun it and put on a shower cap.

Pierre
June 29th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I leave it in whatever updo I have. Sometimes I've had to scritch my scalp while wearing braids; this results in the braid loosening a bit.

JewelsSparkles
June 29th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Another bun + showercap person here! I always feel the need to stand directly under the shower head, so the only way for me to keep it dry is to bun it & then use a showercap. If you don't 'need' to stand directly under the shower head you could probably get away with just one or the other.