PDA

View Full Version : I didn't believe it, but now...

smerrie
June 29th, 2009, 08:14 AM
This is my big fat huge THANK-YOU to this forum!

My mom has been telling me for years now that I was damaging my hair - I held the dryer to close, I shouldn't dye my hair one shade lighter just because, I should NOT straighten my hair ever day, etc. etc.

And when I first read this forum, all I could think was that I was not willing to go all natural for nice hair - I hate my texture and I have too much damage anyways.

But I have made some changes, and WOW!

For almost 2 weeks now, I have not straightened even ONCE! I used to do it every single day, sometimes twice if I had somewhere to be at night and my hair looked flat.

I wash only about 4 times a week (as opposed to once, sometimes twice, daily). I still use my favorite Herbal Essences moisturizing shampoo, and a Pantene hair mask that does Wonders for my accutane-dried hair.

On the days I wash, I blow dry carefully - or leave naturally curly! And I have received some really nice comments ("you should wear your hair curly more often!") from friends!

And in such a short period of time, I can't believe the difference!!! My hair is soooo SOFT! People used to always comment on the softness of my hair, and I thought I had lost that forever! But now, I cannot even notice or feel the split ends around my face that were exasperated by straightening. I actually LOVE my hair right now, despite the fact that before, I thought it would take months/years before I could like it again.

This forum has helped me to 1) appreciate my hair, 2) take better care of my hair, 3) experiment more, 4) and now, to love my hair. THANKS!
:cheese: <this is such a stupid smiley, but it fits :p

Tap Dancer
June 29th, 2009, 08:24 AM
My mom has been telling me for years now that I was damaging my hair - I held the dryer to close, I shouldn't dye my hair one shade lighter just because, I should NOT straighten my hair ever day, etc. etc.

Moms know best. ;) Your mom sounds like a smart lady. :)

smerrie
June 29th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Haha, well the best part is, she washes her hair twice daily, perms, colors her hair, and uses plenty of product! Which is why I always kind of blew her off!

bakertwins2004
June 29th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I am with ya. Once I came her and started on my hair health journey I am AMAZED at my hair. I always thought I was just doomed with "bad" hair. The joys of coconut oil and no cones showed me my hiar was just unhappy not bad.

LisaJaney
June 29th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Welcome to the "Family"! The biggest thing I am glad for in your post is that you now love the hair you have. To me, all the rest will follow (damaging it less, etc) because all the damage typically stems from the "I hate my hair how it is naturally". If we can learn to accept what we have, work with THAT and not try to CHANGE it, the damage will just decrease drastically as a result.

Glad to see you tackled the biggest monster of the lot and WON!

SeaShell
June 29th, 2009, 10:53 AM
congratulations on your progress!! I have had a similar experience too. I've been coming to this forum for over 6 months but only just actually signed up. I didn't think I could go without blow drying, straightening, washing and dying my hair but I've cut back a lot on those things and it really has helped! Good luck and happy growing!!

enfys
June 29th, 2009, 10:58 AM
All four things you've learned are crucial to happy hair.

I bet you're glad you found us now!

Laurel32
June 29th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I can relate! :D It has been really fun and eye opening to discover my natural hair and I love it!

young&reckless
June 29th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Congrats! I am with you 100&#37; on how small changes and just letting your hair be can change how your hair looks and feels so much.

Happy growing

redneckprincess
June 29th, 2009, 11:18 AM
isnt it fantastic, I just only wish I had found this forum earlier.. glad your hair is responding well

neon-dream
June 29th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Yeah I also wish I'd found it earlier but I'm with you too!
It's a really friendly place too :)
Happy Growing :flowers:

zen_oven
June 29th, 2009, 11:53 AM
That's wonderful! I can totally relate--my husband told me a while ago that I used to complain about my hair all the time and say that I hated it. He said that since I started this whole journey a year ago, he never hears me say those things anymore!

LHC is awesome. I am so glad you are now loving the hair you were born with!

ButterCup02
June 29th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Congrats!! Your hair in your siggy looks beautiful :) I had the same relevation, I've just threw down the flat iron 2 months ago and my hair looks 100 times better, and feels so much better! DH loves it natural, he never did like iet flat ironed. I'm so glad my friend pointed this site out to me!

Orchid_28
June 29th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Yeah I wished I listened to my mom years ago lol. I went through some pretty bad damage for awhile. My hair was growing at all for the longest time...at least a 1-2 years until I stopped dying it, heat styling it, and washing it everyday. Then my hair finally went back to its healthy self!

Keep up the healthy growing!

daydreamer
June 29th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Good for you for making those changes!! My own hair barely survived to get this long with all the damage I did to it pre-LHC... now you are on the road to hair recovery. :D

Lexibeth
June 29th, 2009, 04:57 PM
It looks great! I am in the same boat and I love how soft my hair is since I've stopped!

Dementia1013
June 29th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Fantastic! I'm glad you're loving your hair now! It's a wonderful feeling. :D