PDA

View Full Version : My boy got a haircut.... (from himself!!)

Bluebell
June 29th, 2009, 03:39 AM
On sunday morning our 2 boys usually play nice and sweet and we can have another half an hour of sleep extra.

Yesterday we found the youngest playing sweetly with scissors, snipping his pyamas.
Whe he saw our shocked faces he told us he was also playing hairdresser!
On himself!

And it wasn't how Feye told us!!

Fortunately I always cut their hair myself so I could clean the mess right then instead of waiting for monday to go to the hairdresser.
He has very short hair now and I am thankfull for my new thinning scissors, which makes the hacked off locks less obvious.
It is always other peoples children who do this, not our own. True?:whistle:

When the steam from my ears :rant:had cleared away I got a box from my 5 year old. Partner-in-crime had been collecting the locks instead of stopping his brother, or call for us...

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb60/Bluebell-hairsticks/P29-06-09_1033-1.jpg

Heavenly Locks
June 29th, 2009, 03:43 AM
At least he will be cooler in the hot weather! :flower:

What is it about scissors and hair that makes children want to put them to use on themselves?!

Lohari
June 29th, 2009, 03:50 AM
I think all children that I know have done that... Some even more than once. I can imagine how your face looked when you found out about your boys hairdresser experiments. My mother like exploded when she one day found a bunch of hair from the floor and mysteriously my sister had somehow shorter hair in one spot of her head XD

Bluebell
June 29th, 2009, 03:51 AM
At least he will be cooler in the hot weather! :flower:

:D True, he will have a nice cool head, this week we'll have very hot weather here!

whiteisle
June 29th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Ack! I dread the day when one of mine will bless me with this. :disgust:
I just know it's going to be my daughter. She's my redhead. She's my drama queen. She's the one who will end up tattooed and pierced, want a Harley for her first "car", and will go join the circus somewhere 'just because'.

Rainbow2911
June 29th, 2009, 05:19 AM
My daughter did this last year. She cut one side off really quite short but luckily it looked really good when I cut the other side to match! Little monkey.
She wants long hair but her super fine, delicate hair takes forever to grow. So luckily for me our little talk about children and amateur hairdressing has stuck and she hasn't tried again. I would put money on my youngest trying it before long too - he hates hair cuts but can't resist scissors when he finds them.....

kaminagai
June 29th, 2009, 05:46 AM
My son hasn't tried that one YET. Soon, very soon, I'm sure.

Xandergrammy
June 29th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Both my son (who is 28 now) and my grandson (who is 6 now) gave themselves haircuts when they were about 3 or 4. At the time it's frightening and maddening, but I can look back now and chuckle at the results. My poor son completely cut off his bangs down to the scalp. Boy, did that look hilarious as it was growing out!

Hampshirelass
June 29th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Oh, my DD did this when she was 5, she had waist length, white blonde hair at the time. I walked into the bathroom and found a pair of scissors on the floor with handfulls of her hair next to them. I found her in her bedroom, looking in her mirror and admiring her new haircut with pride.

It was awful - I cried!!

She had grabbed huge handfulls of her fringe and all along the top of her head, and had cut as close to her scalp as she could. At best it was a grade 2 in places. She spent a good 18 months with a side parting clipped down to hide it as much as possible, eventually her hair was layered through to try to work with it.

I can look back and laugh now............

redneckprincess
June 29th, 2009, 06:20 AM
my granddaughter decided to cut her own almost waist length hair to shoulder length a few years back (she was about 5 maybe) her mom (a hair dresser) had to give her basically a pixie to fix it..

Bluebell
June 29th, 2009, 06:26 AM
She had grabbed huge handfulls of her fringe and all along the top of her head, and had cut as close to her scalp as she could. At best it was a grade 2 in places. She spent a good 18 months with a side parting clipped down to hide it as much as possible, eventually her hair was layered through to try to work with it.

Oh my!! That must have been some damage!
This will take only a few months, and I was able to hide the weirdest snips so he doesn't look too hiddeous right now.

JamieLeigh
June 29th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Wow! This happened to us a couple of weeks ago. My 5 year old son was trimming his own hair in the bathroom, unbeknownst to me, and my 3 year old daughter walked in and asked for a haircut too. This is the one who is always calling me Rapunzel, and saying she wants to look like me when she grows up. :(

So...I had to even it out, since the damage was so severe, and now she has a pixie cut instead of mid-back locks. It actually does look pretty cute on her, since she has a pointy, heart-shaped face (very elfin!), but I was really upset that it happened. As for my son, well, I give him and my other 2 boys burr cuts twice a year, so it wasn't a real loss for him. (BOY did he get in trouble though!!!)

And the scissors are now on top of the refrigerator. They were in our bathroom cabinet, but since the kids now have figured out how to climb up onto the sink, it's not safe to keep them there.

Tap Dancer
June 29th, 2009, 08:27 AM
my granddaughter decided to cut her own almost waist length hair to shoulder length a few years back (she was about 5 maybe) her mom (a hair dresser) had to give her basically a pixie to fix it..

You have a granddaughter and you're only 30? :confused:

(Sorry for the hijack.)

camirra555
June 29th, 2009, 08:41 AM

(Sorry for the hijack.)

I was wondering the same thing myself...I think she has an adopted child if I remember correctly from another thread.

Going back to the topic I never cut my own hair when I was young but with my barbies it was another story. Although one time in grade 2 I demanded my mom cut bangs for me despite her telling me that it wouldn't go with my curly hair...yeah, she was right....

redneckprincess
June 29th, 2009, 10:34 AM

(Sorry for the hijack.)

I was wondering the same thing myself...I think she has an adopted child if I remember correctly from another thread.

Going back to the topic I never cut my own hair when I was young but with my barbies it was another story. Although one time in grade 2 I demanded my mom cut bangs for me despite her telling me that it wouldn't go with my curly hair...yeah, she was right....

nope my husband is a bit older then me and has children my age and the grand children are my (STEP) grandchildren but I have been around since (most) were born and am the only grandma some of them know.... so yes very odd i know but very true!!! ♥

and yes i do have an adopted child but thats a diffrent story alltogether and shes far to young to have babies lol....

(sorry about keeping the hijax, any more questions you can start a new post or message me personally, i dont mind )

enfys
June 29th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Oh I did this, but I did quite a good job of giving myself a four year old fringe. At least I left it long enough to be clipped back!

It must be great being an infant school teacher, wondering what haircuts the kids will come in with, who'll be next. It also makes me think when I have kids to get a lockable scissor, clippers and razors cabinet just incase...

GlassEyes
June 29th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Hahha. I cut my sister's hair when I was younger. My mom was so maaad.

She still has a lock of the hair I cut though. It's pretty funny in hindsight.

Rohele
June 29th, 2009, 11:49 AM
hehe - that's a lot of hair that was snipped off. My 6 yr old son is currently sporting a bald spot on the back of his head - I found him happily clipping it himself a couple weeks ago because "it was itchy, mom". He wears it short so thankfully it is filling in fairly rapidly.

GypsyGoddess
June 29th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I always cut my doll's hair, trying to give them layers and fringe...

Now my little cousin (she's 3 I think) just cut off all her bangs and the whole family got pics the next day in our emails. She's such a mischievous little girl and so precocious for her age.

Bluebell
June 29th, 2009, 02:13 PM
And the scissors are now on top of the refrigerator. They were in our bathroom cabinet, but since the kids now have figured out how to climb up onto the sink, it's not safe to keep them there.

Hide them!! Now you still can!
My scissors were waaay up high in a little cupboard on the wall. But the little hairdressers thought chairs were invented to stand on.

She still has a lock of the hair I cut though. It's pretty funny in hindsight.

So keeping the locks is a great idea... We can tease him forever with it! :D

Cherry_Sprinkle
June 29th, 2009, 02:18 PM
When I was a little girl, about 4 or 5 I had hair at classic length and I always had these baby curls in the front of my face where bangs would be.. my parents kept my hair in ponytails so one day when it was bothering me because the curls kept getting in my way I decided to remove the problem myself.. so I went and got my play scissors and decided to snip the curl off... I snipped it at about 3cms long on one side of my head... I am sure my parents can sympathize with you lol.

nowxisxforever
June 29th, 2009, 02:19 PM

(Sorry for the hijack.)

I didn't blink at that-- my grandmother was 35 when I was born! That's without any older spouses or anything, just a very young family.

nowxisxforever
June 29th, 2009, 02:22 PM
How horrible that your child did this! I'm sure he felt pretty proud of himself though.

I don't recall whether I did this at all but I probably did. I recall cutting my fringe myself when I was 13 or so, but it wasn't a short fringe, it was the first half-inch on each side to about my chin so I could have something to leave down when the rest of my hair was up. It's why my hair has such a U-shape for ends right now! Haha :) My hair grows sloooow!

I generally played hairdresser with my barbie dolls though.

handsclean
June 29th, 2009, 02:27 PM
My sister is two years younger than me, and I decided when I was five that I wanted to give her a haircut. My parents didn't even noticed until they saw hair in the bathroom sink- and then, they were impressed. I guess I was blessed with natural hairdressing skills. Lucky for my sister!

Eden Iris
June 29th, 2009, 02:27 PM
My 4 yo daughter did this just last month -- gave herself a mullet with safety scissors, cutting the bangs all the way to the roots in the middle. She was (and still is) very proud of herself.

I was appalled but have since learned from people IRL and on this forum that it's extremely common (it never occurred to me to cut my own hair as a child). At least with boys you can cut it all short and nobody thinks twice about it.

Elphie
June 29th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Oh I can remember not finding this funny at all when my oldest decided to give his baby brother a trim, the day before holiday photos no less! We took him to the hairdresser and gave him a very short cut to mask the damage, I used mascara to darken his scalp where he was practically bald from his brother's "haircut" and we made sure the photo put his head in the shadows. No one ever knew but us!

I lopped off one of my sister's pigtails myself. :-)

Nevermore
June 29th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I think this is adorable and so is the end result in some cases. I knew a girl who basically gave herself a reverse mohawk in shoulder length hair and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. We were in preschool at the time.

Coriander
June 29th, 2009, 03:39 PM
My poor son completely cut off his bangs down to the scalp. Boy, did that look hilarious as it was growing out!

I did this, and I was in the 7th grade. :o I have a cowlick that is smack in the middle of my hairline, and I thought that if I cut the bangs completely off, the cowlick would go away.

I was wrong.

I will try to find a picture of that - I know I have one somewhere of the bangs growing out. Horrid.

kaminagai
June 29th, 2009, 06:47 PM
This thread is so funny. I'll try and remember to laugh the day my son decides to give himself a new look.

One of his preschool friends showed up to school sporting a big bald spot. He looked up at me and just grinned. It was so funny. He was so proud. I'm laughing right now just thinking about it.

Xandergrammy
June 29th, 2009, 08:55 PM
nope my husband is a bit older then me and has children my age and the grand children are my (STEP) grandchildren but I have been around since (most) were born and am the only grandma some of them know.... so yes very odd i know but very true!!! ♥

I had a friend who married a much older woman and he became the step grandfather of twins when he was 24!!!!

redneckprincess
June 29th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I had a friend who married a much older woman and he became the step grandfather of twins when he was 24!!!!
its quite common actually you just have to know where to look ♥

SmartyPants
June 29th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Wow! This happened to us a couple of weeks ago. My 5 year old son was trimming his own hair in the bathroom, unbeknownst to me, and my 3 year old daughter walked in and asked for a haircut too. This is the one who is always calling me Rapunzel, and saying she wants to look like me when she grows up. :(

So...I had to even it out, since the damage was so severe, and now she has a pixie cut instead of mid-back locks. It actually does look pretty cute on her, since she has a pointy, heart-shaped face (very elfin!), but I was really upset that it happened. As for my son, well, I give him and my other 2 boys burr cuts twice a year, so it wasn't a real loss for him. (BOY did he get in trouble though!!!)

Why am I more impressed that your 3 year old knows who Rapunzel is than I am concerned that she asked for a crewcut?;)