PDA

View Full Version : single mystery hair!?

Heavenly Locks
June 29th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Wierd. I was just sitting in front of the window doing an S&D session when I see this odd hair...

I tugged it thinking it was a friend of mines that had gotten tangled in with mine. When I did, it was stuck and I realized it was growing out of my head!

I pulled it out because it was coarse (like 2 of my normal hairs), BLACK and curly! At least a 3B. I held it up to the light and it really looked like it came from someone else's head. Freaky! I even saved it to show DH later haha!

Crazy alien hair. Anyone else get one of those?

Sashay
June 29th, 2009, 02:06 AM
I did. I found one very thick coarse one. It looked very black against my other hair. I'm not even sure if it was damage, or if it just grew that was and somehow got far more abuse than my other hairs. Very weird though...like when I found a crazy four inch hair growing out of my cheek. It was so fine that it was practically invisible, it took me forever to notice it.

Lohari
June 29th, 2009, 02:07 AM
I once got a black black black and coarse hair on my medium brown hair O: It was really strange, don't know how that happened (maybe it really is an alien hair and we were kidnapped while we were sleeping?)... Then it suddenly disappeared and I haven't seen other hairs like that in my head for many years. XD I was secretly hoping all my hair would change it's colour to something darker!

Nevermore
June 29th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Yup. I have hairs of every natural color (from nearly white to pre-lightening Nightshade red to black, all shades of brown and deep red/black) and every thickness, as well as different textures.

Moonstruck
June 29th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Asides from the occasional gnarly white hair? (I'd like to live in denial of this greying thing for now, though I DO love a full head of it. Just not the strands creeping in, you know?

I've had random blonds and reds before, though that's not terribly uncommon for East Asians... apparently something with the pigmentation gets messed up? It's still the same level of coarseness though, for me.

However, my pure white dog (West Highland white Terrier) had this one long BLACK hair. Just one. Standing straight up, too. Weirdest thing ever. It bothered me so much that I plucked it and showed it to the rest of the family, haha. It hasn't come back, as far as I'm aware.

ericthegreat
June 29th, 2009, 02:36 AM
My hair is stubbornly 100% jet black, very coarse and straight. Sometimes, just sometimes I wish my hair would change color like everyone else who was blonde as a child and then went darker. Even during the summer my hair doesn't get highlights. I suppose one good thing is that everyone says that I look anywhere from 7 to 10 years younger than my actual age!

inertia
June 29th, 2009, 04:55 AM
I have a few of those mystery hairs on the crown of my head. There used to be only one but it seems to have convinced some of the nearby hairs to make the transition. Now there are too many to be pulled out and I'm debating getting thermal reconditioning on just that one section of my head.

Charlotte
June 29th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Yeah! Sometimes I find a really blackish super wiry hair that I'm sure couldn't be mine but it's attached fast. :disbelief My daughters (both fair blondes) also have the odd black wirish hair sprouting. Weird!!! :shocked:

AmandaPanda
June 29th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Yes, I've seen a couple of these. They're wiry, and almost black. They really stand out against my light auburn fine hair!

Fencai
June 29th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I didn't find a random hair like that, but my first white one, I did pull out and tape to a piece of paper, that I not only showed my husband, but I also showed to my boss because I found it while at work! LOL!
:eyebrows:

neon-dream
June 29th, 2009, 06:17 AM
I found a really REALLY coarse black hair in my head once, I was freaked out. I don't know how I didn't notice it before since it was the same length at my other hair!

JamieLeigh
June 29th, 2009, 08:32 AM
I've found random coarse blonde hairs in mine before...not grey, since I have a couple of those to compare it to, but blonde! And they're always as long as the rest of my hair, so I'm not sure how I make it so far without noticing them, as obsessed with my hair as I am. :o

mira-chan
June 29th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Yup, I get the weird hairs, though I have more of them and they straighten out with length. My hair is coarse and dark as is so they aren't as noticeable.

Dianyla has a special name for this hairs. :lol:

Rohele
June 29th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I've found one of these before too, and it had been growing for a while, since it was the length of my other hairs. Completely black, and like wire. I pulled it out immediately. I've found random coarser dark ones since, but not like that first one.

LisaJaney
June 29th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I notice that my GREY hairs are a different texture than my normal ones (the greys are thicker and kinda wiry, sometimes) but never way-curly or anything like that. You have a rogue follicle!

GoddesJourney
June 29th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I have these all over my crown and only there. I noticed them starting to grow in when I was about twelve. At seems they've been multiplying over the years because now they're all over. Yes, black, thick, spiral curly hair. Since they're all over only the crown of my head, they stick out regardless of where I part my hair. Also, since my hair is straight to slightly wavy, there is a huge contrast. Those little curlies just make my hair look frizzy since they don't fit in. Sometimes they get a little straighter (so maybe just wavy) as they get long. I think they come from having a pretty broad genetic background. I also have little blonde hairs and some super fine ones of regular brown along with my red/copper strays. Who knew?

Jim
June 29th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I had one of these once, a coarse black hair. What amazed me is that it was right on my hairline on my forhead and it was the same length as my other hair. How did I miss this alien hair for so long? Beats me. I put in a call to Fox Mulder and Dana Scully, but they haven't got back to me yet. I think it is the black oil thing they've been looking for.

Jim

GlassEyes
June 29th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I'm secretly putting my hair on your head. >.> <.< *ninjacreep*

Though my hair is far from coarse. xD;

Copasetic
June 29th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I have found a few really thick and wiry black hairs before. I saved one in a paper bag for a long time along with my grey hairs.

carinkla
June 29th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Yes I once also found a single hair like that. I was so suprised I even posted about it on a dutch hairforum and called it a mutant hair ;)

At first I thought it was black sewing thread entangled in my hair. But was attached to my scalp. It was thicker and more wavy then my own hair and blak. Here my attempts then to make pics to show it.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7713/mutant1nl6.th.jpg (http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mutant1nl6.jpg)http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/2859/mutant2by7.th.jpg (http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mutant2by7.jpg)
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/2627/mutant3sr0.th.jpg (http://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mutant3sr0.jpg)http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/6346/mutant4vh8.th.jpg (http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mutant4vh8.jpg)

enfys
June 29th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I find one of these every few months, and they're usually very long and I usually pull them out.

If they are a normal part of ageing I might not. Is it the stage before greying or something?

Merewen
June 29th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I've got a few of those - dark and course as opposed to the majority fine blond. I'm actually quite fond of them. They're randomly thrown in on the top layer, and aren't very obvious because they're so few. I like the contrast.

Heavenly Locks
June 29th, 2009, 11:10 AM
carinkla that is exactly what mine was like! (except pretty darn curly too) Isn't it strange to find this strangers hair growing out of your head!?

Armelle
June 29th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Yep, get those all the time. They are very tempting to yank out, but I should probably leave them alone...I have so many! Will they be the first to lose color I wonder?

EvaSimone
June 29th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Yep I've found a few of the mystery hairs. They almost feel like synthetic hair because they are so coarse and wiry, they are usually a dark reddish color though.

zen_oven
June 29th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I've been getting one really coarse, super-wiry white hair for many years now. I think I first found it at age 15. Now I'm finding more white hairs that match my texture--EEK. :disbelief Doesn't really bother me that much, but it surprises me sometimes.

muuserid
June 29th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I found a hair like that once--super black and wiry, mixed in with my very fine light brown hair. It was really weird. What was funny though, I was with my bf when I found it and I *almost* managed to convince him that it was one of his hairs that had gotten transplanted and was now growing out of of my scalp.

horseprincess
June 29th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I get a few of those, they are usually dark brown (more like black). Sometimes they are spirals and sometimes the are just coarse. I always pull them out...

Kaamos
June 29th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I have some black, coarse and curly hairs too.

But the weirdest hair was one that was half (the older half) thin, straight and blond and the newer half was black, coarse and curly.... very strange :brains:
I keep this hair on my desk :cool:

Heavenly Locks
June 29th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I found a hair like that once--super black and wiry, mixed in with my very fine light brown hair. It was really weird. What was funny though, I was with my bf when I found it and I *almost* managed to convince him that it was one of his hairs that had gotten transplanted and was now growing out of of my scalp.

ahahaha!! That is too funny :rolling:

Atlantic
June 29th, 2009, 12:58 PM
:( Oooh, finding mystery hairs and yanking them was how I triggered my problems with trich.

Dianyla
June 29th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Dianyla has a special name for this hairs. :lol:
Ah yes! The infamous Head Pube! :couch:

LadyLongLocks
June 29th, 2009, 02:47 PM
YES! I have seen very dark brown almost black hair. I haven't seen one in a while though.

Peter
June 29th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I have a single bright red hair on the top of my head. I think it's funny. :laugh:

jojo
June 29th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Me too, pubic head hair I call them eeek!

Nightshade
June 30th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Yup. I have hairs of every natural color (from nearly white to pre-lightening Nightshade red to black, all shades of brown and deep red/black) and every thickness, as well as different textures.

I just wanted to note that I laughed seeing my hair color referenced as pre-ightening Nightshade Red :spitting:

Heavenly Locks
June 30th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Ah yes! The infamous Head Pube! :couch:

bahahaha!! How apropo!

http://www.smileydesign.net/smileys/imotion36.gif

nowxisxforever
June 30th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I did. I found one very thick coarse one. It looked very black against my other hair. I'm not even sure if it was damage, or if it just grew that was and somehow got far more abuse than my other hairs. Very weird though...like when I found a crazy four inch hair growing out of my cheek. It was so fine that it was practically invisible, it took me forever to notice it.

I get those periodically, from a few specific follicles-- one on the underside of my chin, one on my right boob. It's so weird.

katienoonan
September 19th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I just found my first alien hair! I searched for information on google and... lo-and-behold... LHCwas the first page to pop up! :D

:cheese:

Anje
September 19th, 2011, 02:39 PM
That's nothing....

I've got a few freakish hairs. They're all pure white.....

:D

NotInPortland
September 19th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Yep I have some reaaalllly coarse hairs (compared to what I'm used to with my fine hair!!) growing right down near the back of my neck, and a few of them I've noticed are black and curly too. Really weird eh!

kiwiipop
September 19th, 2011, 04:30 PM
It's good to see this is so common! I only notice them when my hair has dried really flat against my scalp because they're always relatively short (2-3 inches) and stand up above all my other hair. Just these jet black, super thick and strong, wiry hairs. I always pull them out and look at them because they're just so weird to me, lol.

jasper
September 19th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I find them once in a while and try to resist the urge to tug them out.

darklyndsea
September 19th, 2011, 05:03 PM
How would I tell? My hair is mostly gold and dark brown, somewhere in the medium to medium/coarse range, and wavy, but I've got pretty much everything mixed in there: light blonde hairs, curly hairs (not any 4s, though), red hairs, fine hairs...you name it, I've probably got it.

Earelia
September 19th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Haha. Yes I've had one also a few years back. I have straight dark hair with natural highlights on one side and I once found a VERY coarse blond hair on my temple on the darker side of my head. I wish it would come back...

And my boyfriend had this single crinkly blond eyebrow hair (he's got dark brown hair) that grew and grew to be about an inch long. XD

wooliswonderful
September 19th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I'm just getting used to all the white & silver hairs I'm finding now, I didn't expect to find a coarse black one! I was S&Ding the other night and boom there it was, about 20" long and I'd never noticed it. It was seriously thick, unlike the rest of my hair

redmj
September 19th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Every once in a while I find one that actually looks like a piece of copper. They even act like wire. I wish I knew what they were.

NightOwl26
September 19th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I once found a super course white hair on top of my head. It didn't even feel real. And it was so stuck onto my head it hurt to pull it out.

julierockhead
September 19th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I thought I was the only one!

I have straight/very slightly wavy fine hair, and my grey hair is super coarse and has a weird square spiral pattern. It doesn't curl like it was wound around a curler, it makes a 90 degree turn every inch or so. Permanent frizzies. :(

I also have a superfine red hair that grows out of my earlobe, right under my ear piercing. The first time I found it it was six or seven inches, how do you miss something like that?

luxepiggy
September 19th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I've found sparkly shiny gold ones in the past (^(oo)^)

camara
September 19th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Everywhere on my head. There are the dark brown, very thick ones, the occasional black and wiry, also some red ones and a few fine platinum blonde hairs. For the past few years, the white ones get more and more, too. ;)

julliams
September 20th, 2011, 03:22 AM
Both my kids have pretty straight hair but if you look really close (as one does when going through their child's hair for nits) both my kids have tiny thin spirals that look like springs. They probably have about 3 or four on their heads at any one time.

clarinette
September 20th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Well, the most random hair i've found? Was not on my head. It was on my shoulderblade. I swear. Long, white-blonde, 1 A. I pulled it out and looked at it in awe, a shoulderblade hair wtf. And it grows back, too! I'm a monster *sob*

Lapin
September 20th, 2011, 07:28 AM
I get freaky platinum, not gray, hairs sometimes. I usually only notice them when I'm S&D'ing though. But the thing thaat gets me is they pop up in my eyebrows - my thick, dark eyebrows - and they're impossible to weed out!

UP Lisa
September 20th, 2011, 07:51 AM
I have at least one course black hair that is totally unlike my baby-fine hair. I love it. If all my hair was that strong, I could grow it to the floor!

Noreth
September 20th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Well, not a single strand, but a patch of long, fine, straight and well-behaving hair near the nape runs in our family. It's funny because my mom is a fine curly, and my and my brother and sister have courser, curlier hair, and we all have the same thing. One of life's unexplained mysteries, I guess.:shrug:

infinity_girl
September 20th, 2011, 08:03 AM
It's Sadako from the Ring, coming to get you....:p

misspurdy06
September 20th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I found a grey one here and there and some white ones which sucks because I'm only 24.

Baby
September 20th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I have medium/dark brown hair and sometimes I find blonde straws, I have also very straight hair but the other day I found a really curly one sticking out. That was really wierd, and no one in my family have curly hair.

erialc
September 20th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Oh my god, I've been wondering about these weird hairs I sometimes find on my head! I've been wanting to ask about it actually, but haven't bothered yet. Sometimes I find these REALLY coarse and curly hairs in my otherwise really fine and "straight" hair. So weird, but I'm happy I'm not the only one at least! :P

Annibelle
September 20th, 2011, 08:46 AM
I've never found one like that, but one day DH was brushing his TBL, fine, stick-straight, light brown hair, when he found a WL, coarse, KINKY black hair growing in there! It must've hidden just right, because it got to WL without us knowing! We tucked it back into his braid and haven't seen it since. :p I wonder if it's still growin' in there...

Charybdis
September 20th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I have several different kinds of mystery hairs: coarse, 1b black hairs; fine, light brown hairs in the 4a territory that are either tightly coiled or have a super-tight S-wave, and rarely get very long; slightly coarse dark hairs that have very irregular, frizzy curl and a short terminal length (hate these so much); and gray hairs of normal thickness that have an irregular, frizzy curl and appear to grow slowly. I don't have very many of any of these, but they sure are odd. Fortunately, most of my gray hair is normal texture, but the "rogue" grays really stand out because of their color. I've quit plucking them, though, because it's too awkward when they start growing back in.

McFearless
September 20th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I have one naturally orange hair. Its really, really weird. The rest of my hair is naturally jet black.

Delila
September 20th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Some years ago, I found a single strand of coarse hair that was so thick I honestly had NO idea it was mine. I couldn't believe it was growing out of MY head, so naturally I pulled it out. :rolleyes: Couldn't believe it until I saw it from root to tip.

I think of them as Gollum strands. If I live to be 800 and I'm almost bald, I'll still have a few strands, about like that to remind me of what I used to have.

WinterButterfly
September 20th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Exactly this has happened to me. In the midst of my medium fine straight hair, I have been finding incredibly thick coarse wavy to curly hair. I had one growing from the top of my head like alphalpha. I didn't realise it was mine till I pulled on it. That hair got the boot. But I have found a few more hairs like that. It is really weird because my hair doesn't curl at all. So a random curly hair is alien to me. Maybe it is changing types?

mariazelie
September 21st, 2011, 03:33 PM
When my daughter was a baby, with fine, blonde baby hair, she had one lone black hair that was coarser in the back, behind her ear. I must investigate when I see her again to see if I can find it!

melmmo
October 11th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I have been finding random very coarse, very wiry, very curly/kinky (like 4b) hairs in my light to medium brown medium thickness hair since I was a teenager (well that is the first time I noticed). I have to pull them out and play with them because it looks like.... well some kind of weird black fishing line or something. I'm very relieved to know I'm not the only one who gets these!

JessL
October 11th, 2011, 08:38 PM
I used to have one hair on my arm that would grow really long. I do seem to remember finding a few oddly colored hairs on my head before I started dying it several years back but not as extreem as that.

ArienEllariel
October 11th, 2011, 09:57 PM
yesterday I was running my fingers through my hair and found a super super fine as in "cat hair" fine shed hair among the rest of my hair. It was only a few inches long but it definately was from my head (the color matched).

christine1989
October 11th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I get tons of weird hairs- some are goldish blonde, some are red and some are even grow in with a different color and texture but as I let them grow they always change to match my "normal hairs". Sometimes I get fed up waiting for them to change and just henna them to match.

Flying Penguin
October 11th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I have a few kinky/kinked hairs in my 1b hair. When I look at my shed hairs, some of them are randomly wavy too. I always think those are from damage (well at least the ones that look bent are definitely from damage), but some might be just natural, different textures. Also, lol @ the tags on this thread!

UP Lisa
October 12th, 2011, 07:24 AM
My shed hairs are sometimes curly. The hair on my head in only wavy. So I think it must be the weight of all the hairs together that makes it only wavy rather than curly. Each hair by itself can curl.

AMD
October 12th, 2011, 08:01 AM
My hair is already dark, but i've had 2 gray hairs like that pop up in high school, but never returned once plucked.
Ive also had the weird hair growing out of cheek a couple times in high school

Kumiko033
November 3rd, 2011, 04:34 AM
I already have thick hair on it's own but I keep finding more of these well wiry even thicker hairs who just curl and feel like..plastic ?
anyone knowing what these are yet and how to prevent them?
cause i don't want to get even more of them, it makes my hair already look like a mess right now :D

Amber_Maiden
November 3rd, 2011, 06:46 AM
ooohhhh!! That is creepy!!!! Um.... at my temple I have fine blonde hair that grows in... It looks weird if I leave it alone, and basically looks like I went on some weird dying freenzy with blonde dye... so I dye it to match the rest of my head!

DancingQueen
November 3rd, 2011, 06:49 AM
I also have a few of those. They are coarse and black, but as curly as the rest of my hair. I don't mind them though, I let them grow. Who knows, maybe I'm just changing hair color. :)

DancingQueen
November 3rd, 2011, 06:58 AM
Maybe we get super powers with those alien hairs? :hmm:

XcaliburGirl
November 3rd, 2011, 07:00 AM
I have some coarse black curly hairs, but they are part of my natural texture. I like them. I also have medium-weight brown hairs. It's like a 25/75 distribution. I could see why finding a single strand so different from the rest of your hair would be surprising, though.

There is that long mutant hair that grows out of my chin though. :eek: