PDA

View Full Version : Should I cut?

Jules diamond
June 28th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Hi everyone!

For the past few months I've been doing S&D and getting rid of my split ends. But they just seem to be getting worse! I've got several inches of colored hair that I'm growing out but I think that the damaged hair is splitting so there's no end to them.

I'd really like to keep the length I have now and I was planning on starting half inch trims when I got to waist, but I can't stand these split ends!

What did you guys do or what would you do in this situation?

TIA!

Debra83
June 28th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I would do a microtrim, and see if that helps. But first off, trying a clarifying shampoo. I got that advice AFTER I'd microtrimmed. It might take off build up that seems like split ends I guess.

Stubborn
June 28th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I'd say no more than one inch.

Elphie
June 28th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I'd try doing some catnip soaks and seeing if that helped any before cutting.

EvaSimone
June 28th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I agree first do a clarifying shampoo. Then if your ends still feel bad I would probably take an inch off.

I have hair that was dyed frequently and flat ironed therefore the last six-eight inches of my hair is in very bad condition so I understand your problem. Occasionally my ends will start feeling terrible and I think that I could seriously take 5" off and still have awful hair. Instead of getting a huge cut I'll get a 1" trim and honestly my ends will feel wonderful and like it has new ends. If I was you I would just try 1" you'll be surprised how much better your hair feels!

hennaphile
June 28th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Try cassia and oiling after, then see what to do :) :twocents:

Charlotte
June 28th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I have very fragile ends due to highlighting. They also tend to split (or else I get dots appearing about an inch or two up the hair shaft). I can't bear to cut it all off at once though or I'd end up with a pixie cut. So, I'm currently heavy oiling with almond oil before every wash (every 3-4 days) and using a coney leave in conditioner afterwards. Also doing half inch trims every 6-8 weeks. I'm hoping this helps...

Cherry_Sprinkle
June 28th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I'd try doing some catnip soaks and seeing if that helped any before cutting.

I will second this, get maybe a 1/2" professional trim, and perhaps change your scissors?

Jules diamond
June 28th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Where could I get a good clarifying shampoo?

Cherry_Sprinkle
June 28th, 2009, 08:00 PM
any shampoo that has SLS will clarify.. V05 has lots of them ;)

lora410
June 28th, 2009, 08:11 PM
The only thing S&D did for me was cause my hemline to get thin. I ignore my splits now unless it take a toll on my hemline, then I do a small trim.

RancheroTheBee
June 28th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I personally don't bother with S&D anymore, either. I just trim every couple of months to refresh the ends, but that's about it.

Perhaps your scissors are dull. Maybe just this once, go in for a professional trim, being very specific on how little you want cut off. Their scissors are going to be a lot sharper.

Teacherbear
June 28th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I clarify by adding a little bit of baking soda to my shampoo. I do this every other month or so.

When it comes to the cut, I always find how much difference just a 1 inch trim can make. Personally, I got my best 1 inch trim at a barber's shop (with the red/white pole and everything). You might consider that.

Bene
June 28th, 2009, 10:15 PM
i'm gonna agree with clarifying first. sometimes that build up can really make hair feel pretty bad. i've been there and had the good luck of having people here bring up clarifying.

if trimming is absolutely unavoidable, half an inch is more than enough. after that, babying your ends is the best way to keep the damage to a minimum. :)

daydreamer
June 28th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I am in the same boat as you are. The problem I think is that the splits will be in all parts of the damaged hair, so making a little trim to get the splits really won't solve it. S&D helps, but I understand, it seems they just multiply more and more in the damage! In my own case I held on as long as I could until I couldn't stand my ragged S&D'ed hemline anymore, and cut 1 1/2 inches today. Feels tons better! So I'd say just baby it and let it grow some more if your hemline/texture isn't bothering you too much, or maybe cut just a little bit to see if it helps you feel better about your hair.

Willow
June 28th, 2009, 11:35 PM
If you are going to S&D, you need to use very, very sharp scissors. Dull scissors will seem to make them multiply. It's just that you are damaging the very end of the hair when you cut it and it takes a couple of weeks for you to be able to see it. So you are cutting off a damaged end but you are making new damage which will then become evident in a couple weeks. I would suggest going for a 1/2 inch trim and starting fresh with your S&D with very sharp scissors.

Jules diamond
June 29th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Thanks for the input everyone! My mom found a woman in wal-mart with hip length curly hair and luckily she managed to get the name of the woman who cut it for her. I'll be checking that place out soon and picking up some clarifying shampoo tomorrow. I didn't think that there could be buildup on the ends of my hair though, since I only use shampoo.

Bene
June 29th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Thanks for the input everyone! My mom found a woman in wal-mart with hip length curly hair and luckily she managed to get the name of the woman who cut it for her. I'll be checking that place out soon and picking up some clarifying shampoo tomorrow. I didn't think that there could be buildup on the ends of my hair though, since I only use shampoo.

um... it might be a good idea to try conditioner before you cut

Jules diamond
June 29th, 2009, 04:07 AM
I've tried conditioner, but it doesn't do anything for my hair. It's pretty oily as it is, and even if I only use it on the ends it doesn't seem to make a difference.

GlassEyes
July 9th, 2009, 04:05 PM
o-o 2c/3a hair that doesn't need conditioner? o-o;; My mind is blown.

Jules diamond
July 26th, 2009, 04:48 AM
I don't think it does. Are there people with oily hair that use conditioner?

Ah, and I washed my hair again shortly after and as it turns out the conditioner I'd used on it (garnier 3 minute deep condition) was causing it to look so bad. After I washed it out and went back to no conditioner it went back to normal.

Desideira
July 26th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Maybe you hair just dont like cones conditiners? Maybe protein or moisture based cond would be good for you? or maybe oiling just the end after wasing?

If you have problems with splits I personally belive that they need some "food" and this can give them conditoniner. Or maybe its becuase the scissors are not shapr enought

I alwasy avoid cutting hair at all cost so I woudl try anything I can before cutting it.

Allegra
July 26th, 2009, 06:41 AM
IMHO there isn't really such a thing as oily 'hair' as such, rather just oily scalp. Often in this case the length of the hair and scalp need completely different treatment. I would say that your ends are crying out for some form of conditioning (just keep it away from your scalp to prevent 'oiliness'). Just keep experimenting, try lots of different conditioners; coney, cone-free, try mixing honey into your conditioner as well since dry ends need moisture above all else. Shea butter on my dry hair has been a godsend for my ends.

Also I definitely agree with everyone who has mentioned that possibly your scissors are the culprits. My ends sound exactly like yours and i used to obsessively S&D but they kept getting worse, till i stopped. I no longer cut my splits, just use shea butter, put my hair up or braid it and ignore them, and the number of splits has reduced dramatically.

spidermom
July 26th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Try a 1/2" trim. The tiniest trims can make a difference.