PDA

View Full Version : I might have to shave my head.

Runzel
June 28th, 2009, 03:55 PM
As I'm mentioned in a few other threads, I have very severe multiple chemical sensitivities and am unable to use any commercial hair products because of my intolerable reactions to them.

Well, wanting to try CO I set out to make my own in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=27159). I wasn't sure how well I'd tolerate all the fancy ingredients and decided to just start with what I had: oil, water, and lots of guar gum. The guar gum left major build-up in my hair--I'm talking the inability to run fingers through my hair for even a few inches, hair so clumped an heavy that when I moved the individual strands swayed by the weight would hurt badly, and unable to put it up because of the pain. Combing it out took a good 45 minutes.

I tried soapnuts, over and over. I tried vinegar. I even tried a very mild non-toxic laundry detergent. For some reason I forgot to try baking soda (I don't know how that happened). Nothing was helping. As ill as I am I don't have energy to spare, and being able to put my hair in a quick updo is non-negotiable.

So I tried a commercial product. I went with a "fragerance free" cleansing lotion that didn't have protein or other such stuff. That did the trick. All build-up was removed, my hair was workable again, and the pain of individual hair being tugged due to insane clumping and weight was gone.

But now, unfortunately, I'm reacting to my own hair. I knew it was a risk when I did it, and I'm still hoping the problem can be resolved. Right after I washed with the cleansing lotion I used baking soda and then a vinegar rinse. I wrapped towels around my head to lessen my exposure (since I was reacting badly) and as soon as my hair dried I applied coconut oil very liberally. I was finally able to get to sleep with a large sheet wrapped around my head, but even that cover wasn't enough--I woke up with my eyes almost completely swollen shut.

Since then I've applied more coconut oil and then washed with aloe vera (even though I'm allergic to it) and honey, hoping that in some way they might help. I'm planning to apply more oil and then try a really strong solution of soapnuts tonight. If anyone has other ideas I'd be happy to hear them, but be forewarned I am very limited in the products I can use.

I'm hoping something will work, but I'm also somewhat of a realist. These sheets of cloth I have wrapped around my head throughout much of the day are straining my neck and giving me headaches, and the chemicals themselves are also giving me many unpleasant symptoms. If the problem is not resolved soon I will have no choice but to get rid of all my hair and start over again from scratch. If that happens I'll be sure to get a few pictures of it before it's gone! I currently don't have any. While I would much rather keep my hair, at the moment it's making me so ill physically that I'm not exactly sad at the prospect of losing it; I just want to be healthy and well! I'm sure I'd miss it later, but what's there to do? :shrug:

Honey39
June 28th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Why don't you try WO only? That might be what you're looking for, and it's very gentle and non-intrusive - the thread on it is fab.

I'm so sorry you're suffering like this - I wouldn't shave just yet, I would hold on to the two week rule, and just do nothing for a couple of weeks, just gently comb out and maybe gently oil, and wear up. See if that helps. It almost sounds like you've done TOO much to your hair, and it's so frustrating. You also sound very down, which is why I would also go for the doing almost nothing apart from very gentle grooming for a couple of weeks.

Take care

AmyJorgensen
June 28th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I feel terrible to hear of your difficulties. Was there anything that was successful for you before you wanted to start COing?

Runzel
June 28th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Why don't you try WO only? That might be what you're looking for, and it's very gentle and non-intrusive - the thread on it is fab.

I'm so sorry you're suffering like this - I wouldn't shave just yet, I would hold on to the two week rule, and just do nothing for a couple of weeks, just gently comb out and maybe gently oil, and wear up. See if that helps. It almost sounds like you've done TOO much to your hair, and it's so frustrating. You also sound very down, which is why I would also go for the doing almost nothing apart from very gentle grooming for a couple of weeks.

Take care

My current problem is that my hair has chemicals in it that are making me sick. WO does not get rid of those chemicals. These chemicals are making me so nauseous that I cannot get enough food to eat, which make the two week rule a little difficult to follow. :lol: I cannot currently just wear my hair up...I have to wear it with sheets of fabric wrapped around it completely which makes my head very heavy and is causing me a lot of pain.

I feel terrible to hear of your difficulties. Was there anything that was successful for you before you wanted to start COing?

I was able to just do vinegar and some WO along with light oiling, and while that was passable, as a wurly my hair never has enough moisture and even the gentlest of combing was breaking it. I hadn't used commercial products on my hair in 3 years, and I knew it needed moisture.

ratgirldjh
June 28th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Actually WO may help. You just need to do it several time.
Or you could try putting a LOT of VCO on your hair and leaving it for several days and then washing it out over the next several days with water only. Yes, it will be greasy for a few days - but when you finally get the oil out it will also take the chemicals with it - and not ruin your hair.

Also while you have the VCO on your hair it will be protecting you from the chemicals.

good luck

Runzel
June 28th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Actually WO may help. You just need to do it several time.
Or you could try putting a LOT of VCO on your hair and leaving it for several days and then washing it out over the next several days with water only. Yes, it will be greasy for a few days - but when you finally get the oil out it will also take the chemicals with it - and not ruin your hair.

Also while you have the VCO on your hair it will be protecting you from the chemicals.

good luck

Thanks for the suggestions. I've actually already been slathering my head with coconut oil, and these severe reactions are even with my hair covered it it. :shrug:

But don't worry people! I won't do anything drastic until I've heard it all and held out for as long as my body will allow. :)

birdiefu
June 28th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Do you know what chemicals you are sensitive to? Or if they are derived from particular ingredients (coconut is a big one)? If you can track down what is causing the problems, it may be easier to determine what you *can* use. Do you have allergies to any other oils or natural products other than the aloe? I would also suggest that any other products you try, to patch test on your inner arm or somewhere first so you don't go through the trauma of your whole head getting affected. What is the name of this "cleansing lotion"?

Have you tried shampoo bars (just pure soap)? Or even just some Dr. Bronners to get any residue out from your hair right now. Again though, I would patch test first. You mentioned soapnuts (aritha), have you tried shikakai? That is often more cleansing than the aritha, and works pretty good with already oiled hair.

I am so sorry to hear of your troubles, and hope you can solve this without having to take your hair off! ((hugs))

ETA: CO works as a washing agent because of the emulsifier in it. Guar gum is a thickener, not an emulsifier. Although it can help keep oils and water suspended longer before separation, it cannot emulsify them and therefore is not a good washing ingredient. Too much can also really make your hair tacky and hard, sorry you had to learn that the hard way. :(

demitasse
June 28th, 2009, 04:39 PM
This is probably a stupid question, but you've seen a doctor, yes? I can't imagine someone having a condition this severe without seeing one but it wasn't mentioned.

I'm sorry you have to go through this. Hopefully head shaving will be the absolute last resort. :)

DragonLady
June 28th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I use a pre-shampoo mixture every week of egg yolks, molasses, honey and oil. The only reason I follow it with shampoo is to remove the (slight) coating so catnip tea would work. But the mixture leaves my hair surprisingly clean. Maybe something like that would work for you?

lora410
June 28th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Well, if the actual chemicals in your hair are making you ill then I wouldn't hesitate to shave it. Your well being needs to come before your hair. I really hope you feel better soon and please see a doctor and a skin allergy test done.

Roseate
June 28th, 2009, 04:50 PM
What about a lighter, less porous barrier than yards of cloth? Like a silicone swim cap? Could be more comfortable until you get the allergens removed from your hair, and probably would be a better shield.

Also, in the future, probably you'll want to patch test new products before slathering them on your head. I'm sure you know that, and it is a bit of a PITA, but at least you won't end up allergic to your own hair again.

:grouphug: Hang in there!

neon-dream
June 28th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Well, if the actual chemicals in your hair are making you ill then I wouldn't hesitate to shave it. Your well being needs to come before your hair. I really hope you feel better soon and please see a doctor and a skin allergy test done.

Same here. I know it's easy for me to say because I'm not in your position, but health comes before anything to me.
I absolutely love my hair but if it was making me ill, it would have to go.
Hopefully you feel better soon :] :grouphug:

hennaphile
June 28th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Oh I am SO sorry you're going through this. For what it's worth, I'd advise you not to give up yet, maybe a derm or maybe even a naturopath could help? I don't know if it would help at all, but have you thought about indian herbs, or other natural products ( a lot of the "natural" products out there aren't very natural at all)

Runzel
June 28th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Thank you for all the replies!

Do you know what chemicals you are sensitive to? Or if they are derived from particular ingredients (coconut is a big one)? If you can track down what is causing the problems, it may be easier to determine what you *can* use. Do you have allergies to any other oils or natural products other than the aloe? I would also suggest that any other products you try, to patch test on your inner arm or somewhere first so you don't go through the trauma of your whole head getting affected. What is the name of this "cleansing lotion"?

Have you tried shampoo bars (just pure soap)? Or even just some Dr. Bronners to get any residue out from your hair right now. Again though, I would patch test first. You mentioned soapnuts (aritha), have you tried shikakai? That is often more cleansing than the aritha, and works pretty good with already oiled hair.

I am so sorry to hear of your troubles, and hope you can solve this without having to take your hair off! ((hugs))

ETA: CO works as a washing agent because of the emulsifier in it. Guar gum is a thickener, not an emulsifier. Although it can help keep oils and water suspended longer before separation, it cannot emulsify them and therefore is not a good washing ingredient. Too much can also really make your hair tacky and hard, sorry you had to learn that the hard way. :(

I am sensitive to so many synthetic chemicals that there are literally too many to list. That's the way it is with severe MCS, unfortunately. I have some natural allergies and many food intolerances (so many that I can only eat three foods at this time, yes, I am seeing several doctors!) but the main problem is smelly toxic chemicals that normal people can tolerate at low exposures but my body cannot. My illness is extremely severe and I cannot go out in public due to the chemicals, and my doctors must follow a strict regime in order to see me. While I understand your curiousity and would normally welcome your questions about my illness, at this time I do not have the energy to answer them. While I also realize that it might be hard to believe that I'm this ill, all I can says is that I have several doctors looking out for me, a wonderful caregiver and I'm doing everything possible to get well. :)

No, I cannot tolerate soap, not even homemade soap with one ingrediant such as soapinified organic olive oil or soaponified organic coconut oil. I curently use baking soda and vinegar for all washing where soap would otherwise be required. I can't even get near teh bars of soap to try them...the smell for the other side of teh room is bad enough to make me vomit.

I did patch test some, and this was the best of the worst. The other products we had on hand I couldn't even get near. In a non-emergency situation I would normally take months ot order products and test them individually many times over, but my hair was causing me a great amount of pain due to the clumping and heavy build-up and I could not put it up. I just didn't have that time. :(

I have not tried shikakai. What is it? Is it like soapwort? I do have soapwort but haven't tried it yet.

The name of the cleansing lotion was called "Basis" "pure & simple".

This is probably a stupid question, but you've seen a doctor, yes? I can't imagine someone having a condition this severe without seeing one but it wasn't mentioned.

I'm sorry you have to go through this. Hopefully head shaving will be the absolute last resort. :)

Yes, I'm definitely seeing a doctor, thank you for your concern. :) In fact, I have several doctors who keep in tune with my condition and help me on a regular basis. I am so blessed to be very well taken care of. :)

I use a pre-shampoo mixture every week of egg yolks, molasses, honey and oil. The only reason I follow it with shampoo is to remove the (slight) coating so catnip tea would work. But the mixture leaves my hair surprisingly clean. Maybe something like that would work for you?

Hmm...in might, especially if I can use sorghum syrup in the place of molasses. I'm a little concerned about the protein, though, as I've read that if you don't have enough moisture and then get protein on your hair it caan make things pretty bad. However, it's definitely something I'd try before getting rid of my hair, and I know I wouldn't react to the eggs.

Thank you. I have told myself many times that my body comes before my hair because my body's alive--my hair isn't! I actually wish it was as simpel as an allergy...(for notes on doctors read my above responses.)

What about a lighter, less porous barrier than yards of cloth? Like a silicone swim cap? Could be more comfortable until you get the allergens removed from your hair, and probably would be a better shield.

Also, in the future, probably you'll want to patch test new products before slathering them on your head. I'm sure you know that, and it is a bit of a PITA, but at least you won't end up allergic to your own hair again.

:grouphug: Hang in there!

A silicone swim cap is a possibility that I'll look into. Brand new items tend to be the worst as far as outgassing chemicals into the air, but I don't have much experience with silicone yet. The reason for the heavy sheets is because I don't have any other fabric, nor can I get any other fabric to use at this time since it takes a few months of processing before it is tolerable for me. However, you have given me an idea of cutting them smaller...I suppose that option should have been obvious, shouldn't it? All this weight around my head must have something to do with it! :rolleyes:

Runzel
June 28th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Same here. I know it's easy for me to say because I'm not in your position, but health comes before anything to me.
I absolutely love my hair but if it was making me ill, it would have to go.
Hopefully you feel better soon :] :grouphug:

Thank you. If I am not able to find a solution I will certainly put my health above my hair.

Oh I am SO sorry you're going through this. For what it's worth, I'd advise you not to give up yet, maybe a derm or maybe even a naturopath could help? I don't know if it would help at all, but have you thought about indian herbs, or other natural products ( a lot of the "natural" products out there aren't very natural at all)

Yes, I have a naturopath who sees me regularly. :) There are some indian herbs I use, such as soapnuts, but the immediate problem is getting these chemicals out, which natural products so far are unable to do. I have searched "natural" shampoos and conditioners and have never found one even worthy trying because they had so much stuff in them that I've reacted to in other things. That's why I just say "no commercial products".

Thank you, everyone, again for the suggestions and the support. I really appreciate it!

MomoKoNoHanna
June 28th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Do you have chemicals in your hair that won't come out or you are just looking for a good shampoo and conditioner? I also have bad allergies to natural and some checmicals (though not as servre) so I can relate a little. I switched to using organic shampoo and conditioner. At the moment I am using Sukin. Before I switched I did a clarifying by using Giovanni shampoo. This has helped me alot... I would suggest trying something oraganic but as other have said please do the patch test and check the ingredients. One product line I would not recommend is the Organix as they do use some chemicals I found this out the hard way by having a reaction to there so called lavender range (I am allergice to fake lavander). I also recmmend a vatamin tablet called Echinacea Ace with zinc, high potency. This has helped me alot with my allergises, sinus and it also prevents colds and flu's. But please talk to your doctor before considering vatamins.

You can also talk to your doctor about solutions for your hair. Im sure they could help alot more.

good luck!

vindo
June 28th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Do you have MCS?

The only rescue I could imagine is a procedure that pulls the chemicals out of the hair. Unfortunately those are done with chemicals, and you might react to those then.
But maybe a list of INCI could help?
There may also be natural ways to remove the chemicals to some extend. Is it dye?

I wish you all the best, in case it gets you really sick I think shaving is really the best you can do :(

Runzel
June 28th, 2009, 06:06 PM
If I may make a request to everyone, I know this is kind of a lot to ask, but if you would please read my posts in full or at least speed read or scan thouroughly before replying, I'd really appreciate it. :) That would save me from having to repeatedly explain myself, which can become quite an energy drain. Thanks!

Do you have chemicals in your hair that won't come out or you are just looking for a good shampoo and conditioner? I also have bad allergies to natural and some checmicals (though not as servre) so I can relate a little. I switched to using organic shampoo and conditioner. At the moment I am using Sukin. Before I switched I did a clarifying by using Giovanni shampoo. This has helped me alot... I would suggest trying something oraganic but as other have said please do the patch test and check the ingredients. One product line I would not recommend is the Organix as they do use some chemicals I found this out the hard way by having a reaction to there so called lavender range (I am allergice to fake lavander). I also recmmend a vatamin tablet called Echinacea Ace with zinc, high potency. This has helped me alot with my allergises, sinus and it also prevents colds and flu's. But please talk to your doctor before considering vatamins.

You can also talk to your doctor about solutions for your hair. Im sure they could help alot more.

good luck!

Thank you for your suggestions. As stated in my first post, my currently problem is chemicals in my hair that I cannot get out and I am reacting badly to. I did indeed do a patch test--the other products we had made my airways swell shut, so this was the best of the worst. :) Again, I used it for an emergency situation to keep me from having to hack my hair off from the physical pain it was causing me due to extremely heavy build-up issues form the guar gum.

I have taken Echinachea with zinc before, the problem is I became allergic to the fillers and colorants in it. :) I currently have to get all my supplements custom-made. Yes, my doctors are very involved in everything I take.

ETA: I looked up Sukin and I'm not finding an ingredient's list. Is there any way you could let me know what they are?

Do you have MCS?

The only rescue I could imagine is a procedure that pulls the chemicals out of the hair. Unfortunately those are done with chemicals, and you might react to those then.

But maybe a list of INCI could help?

There may also be natural ways to remove the chemicals to some extend. Is it dye?

I wish you all the best, in case it gets you really sick I think shaving is really the best you can do

Thank you for your well wishes. Yes, I have very severe MCS. What's INCI? No, it is not dye.

MomoKoNoHanna
June 28th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Sorry I got confused by the long information :confused: If you could find a clarifying shampoo that might help as suggested in my other post. Clarifying usually gets rid of most things. But you might need to use a heavy conditioner afterwards as it may make your hair dry.

vindo
June 28th, 2009, 06:22 PM
INCI are chemical ingredients. I thought if your case may not be too severe you might be able to cope with the stripping of chemicals.
But then again.. I studied Biology not Medicine :(

wintersun99

iris
How about trying again with baking soda, a longer soak maybe? Baking soda should open up the hair shaft a bit so that the stuff that's bothering you can get out, maybe all you need is a slightly longer soak than the baking soda application you tried after the cleansing lotion? Followed by a vinegar rinse of course to close the cuticle again.

Are you sure you're not allergic to coconut oil?

I had never heard of MCS, looked it up, and wow, that must be a terrible thing to have. I know that LHC makes it sound very tempting to try out all sorts of things (CO etc), but with your condition it seems like it would be safer to stick to just what you know works for you, right? If you know that baking soda, vinegar, and water only mostly work for you, I'd just stick to that, doesn't seem like it's worth the risk to try other things. I'm really sorry that you're going through this, it must be awful to react to all kinds of things. :(

birdiefu
June 28th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I hope you don't think my questions earlier were to be nosy or doubting you. I wasn't aware of how aware you were of what your sensitivities or allergies were to - it was just to get some thoughts put out there. :flower: From your responses, it seems like you have been dealing with MCS for a while, and I am very sorry to hear it! I hope we can help you figure something out.

Shikakai is another Indian cleansing herb, it is often used in conjunction with Aritha for washing hair. At this point, it looks like herb or egg washing may be your best bet considering you react to even soap. If you have not reacted to Aritha (soapnuts) in the past and have not tried it yet since this problem began, I would probably go ahead and try to wash with that, if you have it on hand. I would try to soak and rinse the hair as much as possible, a lot of the chemicals may be water soluble but take a while to fully disperse and leave the hair.

The INCI is the ingredient list on a product. I googled the cleansing cream you mentioned, but could not find it online. If you can list the ingredients, it may help us figure out if they can be removed relatively easily or if it may be a more difficult task.

Canarygirl
June 28th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Perhaps bentonite clay mask on the hair? It supposedly has detoxifying properties and though I'm skeptical about internal detox, it may help external detox... A google search should provide numerous sites to read and research. You can pick up bentonite clay quickly at any type of store like Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc. if you do not wish to order it.

I was also going to suggest a clay mask on the hair. I've been using Morrocco Method shampoos (www.morroccomethod.com (http://www.morroccomethod.com)) and they have a product called "Zen Detox" that is clay/volcanic ash based. It is touted to remove toxins from the hair when used once weekly for a few weeks. I ended up buying a less-expensive clay than the Zen Detox (I thought it was overpriced). This product is called Redmond Clay sold by the people who make 'Real Salt.' Their website is www.realsalt.com (http://www.realsalt.com) (the salt is fabulous by the way) but they also sell a very nice clay with volcanic ash in it and I thought it would work the same as the Zen Detox. Anyway I've used it and it was very pleasant on the hair and not difficult to rinse out. Here is a link to the product:
https://www.realsalt.com/shop/redmond-clay/redmond-clay.html

EvaSimone
June 28th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Okay I looked up multiple chemical sensitivities for anyone who is interested in what Runzel has you can check out this page:
www.multiplechemicalsensitivity.org

Runzel I am kind of getting the idea that you are a bit over stressed by the amount of information and ideas that people are giving you. So I am sorry if my suggestion is useless. :flower:

It's pretty hard to know what sensitivities you have or what things you can't use when we aren't really given any information besides "commercial products" and then you mentioned aloe also so it seems like you have an extensive list of products that you can't use.

I've used this shampoo and supposedly it's dermatologist tested and it's hypoallergenic but I don't know if that means anything with your type of condition.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Hypo-Allergenic-Shampoo/SBS-623472,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair01

Hope this helps and please don't give up hope! :flowers:

Cherry_Sprinkle
June 28th, 2009, 07:06 PM
would it be possible to give us a small list of things you know you can use? Such as..

eggs
baking soda
pure aloe gel
honey
lemon/lemon juice, or other citrus
any conditioners at all you can use?
catnip
chamomile
coconut milk
coconut oil
extra virgin olive oil
any other oils?
any shampoos you can use?
carrots

from my understanding about chemicals and silicones in hair is that if you cant use a clarifying product that continuing to wash will break them down over time, however if you are ill I would just advise to use something you know works, if all else fails at least give your hair a trim so wearing it up isnt hurting you so badly if you're unwilling to remove it all. :grouphug: I am so sorry you are having to deal with all of this.

QueenMadge
June 28th, 2009, 07:07 PM
For the weight of your hair issue, can you braid it and cover it with a lightweight organic cotton t-shirt? I am so sorry for your suffering. I have an acquaintance with MCS and it is horrible.

Darkhorse1
June 28th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I'm trying to understand--you said you have chemicals in your hair you can't get out. Did you dye your hair or did chemicals some how get into them. I've read all your posts but I can't seem to understand.

I am figuring your hair is long, so it is the chemicals on the length you are reacting to, that is causing a reaction.

My best bet would be speak to your health care professionals. They may know of a product we do not that can help you deal with this without having to shave your head.

Have you tried apple cider vinegar? ACV rinses might help with any ph level and restore balance, but I'm not sure anything can strip chemicals.

If the chemicals are bothering you from your hair, is there a point to which you don't have any on your hair? Ie, new growth? You wouldn't have to then shave, but maybe just trim/cut the chemicaled area?

Hugs to you. My mom has a light version of this due to systemic lupus, but does not react this badly. My aunt has this as well, but it triggers asthma.

Charlotte
June 28th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Please forgive my potential ignorance (I am new to the forum) but would a "natural" baby shampoo with no sulfates etc also cause problems? Just something extremely gentle...? I hope you don't have to shave off your hair... :(

Darkhorse1
June 28th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Ugh. Having re-read your post, it's the non-toxic laundry detergant that's the problem. Despite that, these chemicals are made for cleaning clothing, not hair. The product would be harsh for any of us, but with your condition.

I would contact a Dr asap to get their input. Even if it means using an organic shampoo to remove those chemicals, I'd do it. In the long run, washing out those chemicals will help you. I hope. ((Hugs)))

Runzel
June 28th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Thank you for your replies. I can't respond one at a time right now, but the idea of using clay is excellent; I do have some sort of medical grade clay on hand though I haven't used it before.

No one's suggestions are useless. :) But yes, it is a bit difficult to sort through all the information, especially when I'm very unwell! Thank you all for your kindness.

Thank you everyone, for your consideration and for seeking to understand. I'm truly grateful. :)

As for a list...here's the best I can do off the top of my head:

Can do:
Coconut oil
Grapeseed oil
Honey
AVG (though I sem to be mildly allergic, I can manage aloe if it'll help in an emergency)
white vinegar
baking soda
washing soda (never tried it on hair before)
clay (never tried it on hair before)
eggs (never tried on hair before)
glycerin
Soapnuts
Rosemary
Horsetail

Can't do:
jojoba oil
commercial products
nettles
soap

There are probably more to add to both lists but they aren't coming to mind at the moment.

Current plan of action: get the clay, soak my hair in it for a long time, and report on the results. :) I'm excited; I think it might help!

wintersun99
June 28th, 2009, 07:31 PM

Cherry_Sprinkle
June 28th, 2009, 07:34 PM
ok, you might try doing some eggs mixed with quite a bit of honey, (if you can use any citrus you should add a little to this too), some baking soda, and if you can stand a little bit of vinegar and leave on as long as possible.. if you can't stand the vinegar, follow up with a water & vinegar rinse and then use some coconut or grapeseed oil as heavy as you can stand to protect from drying out.

The honey and baking soda are drying to your hair but they will pull some impurites out of your hair (they strip my color from my chemically dyed hair).

Don't use any AVG if you are even mildly allergic as that might make the whole process mute.

If you can use carrots.. buy a bunch and throw them into your blender or food processor and make a 'paste' out of them and add that to your concauction too... cover your head with a pillow case or some sort of shower cap or something that your skin will tolerate and leave on 30mins if possible.. any sign of itching or discomfort, remove immediately.

If you can use catnip (since you said no to nettles I am not sure?) you could steep this for about an hour (just as you would tea) then strain and soak on your hair also.

Good luck :) please report back any progress! :grouphug:

Flynn
June 28th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I'd just stop everything. Coconut oil included. No honey, no anything. Give it a few days. After that, water only, or if you can't stomach that, get a cotton sock and fill it with oats, and use that to wash your scalp and face. It doesn't work great on hair, and you have to rinse really well, but I guess it is better than nothing, and it is almost nothing. (It's a recommended soap alternative for dermatitis and eczema.) Still, water only is probably a better option at this point.

Never mind how natural any of the things you can think of -- or that are suggested -- are, don't do it. Not when you're like that.

It doesn't matter if you don't normally react to things, when you're this bad (and I've been there too...) you don't want anything at all. Even things you're normally fine with can turn into real nasties.

Tangles
June 28th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I'd just stop everything. Coconut oil included. No honey, no anything. Give it a few days. After that, water only, or if you can't stomach that, get a cotton sock and fill it with oats, and use that to wash your scalp and face. It doesn't work great on hair, and you have to rinse really well, but it is better than nothing, and it is almost nothing. (It's a recommended soap alternative for dermatitis and eczema.)

Never mind how natural any of the things you can think of -- or that are suggested -- are, don't do it. Not when you're like that.

I think this is good advice. It's possible that the chemicals could just be absorbed or that the sebum could help strip them.

Flynn
June 28th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I'll add, if you do think you have residues there that are affecting you, lots and lots of water will do the trick as well as -- or better than -- anything else, and will not cause you any further problems. I'd just leave it alone, even thinking that, though.

Cherry_Sprinkle
June 28th, 2009, 08:43 PM
*add* Don't apply any of the above suggested stuff to your actual scalp just the hair, and have you asked your doctor for advice on removing chemicals from your hair? its possible they will have prior knowledge of the same situation.

Anje
June 28th, 2009, 09:17 PM
When you say you can't use soap, is that commercial soap or anything saponified? I'm wondering if you might get decent results from a good, pure castile soap (literally made from oil, water, and lye, only). CV's Castile & Calendula (about 1/3 of the way down this page (http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/soapbars.htm)) might work, and there are a number of soapers around who might be willing to make you something with one oil you can tolerate and nothing else.

For both WO and soap bars, you'll probably want an acid rinse of some form. Vinegar from something you can tolerate is a good option (you say white vinegar is OK), and citric acid is another option. I find that the vinegar cuts the sebum a bit when I'm doing WO, which is nice when you're in one of the greasy phases.

Unless you're absolutely sure they're OK, I'd stay away from the eggs, coconut oil, washing soda, and AVG, as these are common or known allergens, and I can't imagine the washing soda would be nice on hair, given that it's rather caustic.

Do try using catnip tea as a conditioner (works for a lot of people, and often said to be soothing), but do a spot test with it on your arm before applying it to your whole head! For a few days, though, I think you should just soak yourself in a bathtub full of water for a while, and just let whatever's in there leach out. Water is your friend -- all else is optional.

danacc
June 28th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this. I hope one of the ideas posted helps!

Since you stated earlier that "the main problem is smelly toxic chemicals that normal people can tolerate at low exposures but my body cannot", I'd suggest that you keep trying. It sounds like waiting and doing nothing will just get you sicker as long as there are chemicals with fumes in your hair. I second the ideas of clay (I'm sure you'll test first since it sounds like that would be a new thing), repeated baking soda washes with possibly longer soaks if you have the energy or can get help to manage it, and plain old water soaks.

Anje and Runzel, I hope you don't mind me jumping in here on the soap question. It's hard to keep everything straight. There is a lot of information in the thread given the seriousness and uniqueness of the situation. From a previous post from Runzel, no form of soap is doable:
"No, I cannot tolerate soap, not even homemade soap with one ingredient such as saponified organic olive oil or saponified organic coconut oil. I currently use baking soda and vinegar for all washing where soap would otherwise be required. I can't even get near teh bars of soap to try them...the smell for the other side of teh room is bad enough to make me vomit."

teela1978
June 28th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I'll add, if you do think you have residues there that are affecting you, lots and lots of water will do the trick as well as -- or better than -- anything else, and will not cause you any further problems. I'd just leave it alone, even thinking that, though.

This is pretty much my thought. I think filling up the bathtub and soaking your hair for a while a few times a day sounds like the best plan.

Most of the chemicals in haircare products are somewhat water soluble, it seems like they'd leech out eventually.

Alia
June 28th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Distilled water rinses might help to pull out chemicals, as it is almost totally h2o without any added chemicals/minerals. Maybe, you could soak your hair in a sinkful, then rinse with a fresh bottle? I'm sorry you're going through this--it sounds intolerable.

Chanterelle
June 29th, 2009, 12:19 AM
I haven't ready all posts so I apologize if I'm repeating something.

Have you tried washing your hair with egg yolks if you're not allergic to it? I do it occasionally and it works.

Heavenly Locks
June 29th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I don't have anything to add other than I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Please be well and take care of yourself. :flower: I will be waiting to hear how you are doing. This can't be easy for you and I wish I could do something more for you...

((HUG))

manderly
June 29th, 2009, 02:36 AM
I feel for you suffering with this. :grouphug: I would like to echo the clay and lots of water or distilled water rinses. I wouldn't try any other things as you are very sensitive right now. And I'd like to gently remind people on your behalf to PLEASE take the time to read all the posts before commenting :)

ericthegreat
June 29th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Runzel, if you haven't done this already please do a very thorough allergy test to see just what you are allergic to. Coconut is actually quite a common allergen for some people, you so may be unwittingly be causing your body's own reaction. You really need to do a check up of your autoimmune system to see why you are allergic to so many common household chemicals. You may either need to be more vigilant about the air you breathe, food you eat and water you drink.

Niphredil
June 29th, 2009, 03:07 AM
If I would be in your shoes, I think I would cut (not necessarily shave) until an inch or two are left and go WO. I always thought that with a short style, it is easier to adjust to WO and make it work than when the hair is long and 'polluted' with all kinds of chemicals or natural residues.

Other than that, I would second the Clay and Distilled water suggestions. Maybe you can even use Activated Carbon (on the length only), as it would bind a lot of chemicals.

I hope you will find a solution that will make you feel better! *hug*

SHELIAANN1969
June 29th, 2009, 06:34 AM
I would try WO, get some pure organic cotton cloth and use it as a turban/ scarf/ headcovering and cut a little at a time untill the chemical laden hair is gone and the new growth has caught up.

It will take awhile, and you'll be wearing a head covering for a long time, but you are doing that anyway, in a way.

You can at least make it so it isn't as bulky and uncomfortable. Find something thin and make it as comfortable as you can.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Elbereth
June 29th, 2009, 06:57 AM
You mentioned that you only have heavy sheeting fabric to cover you hair because chemicals in new cloth irritate you. How about used scarves? Maybe you could find some nice cotton second hand scarves, from relatives or friends or even a yard sale. You could wash them gently with the detergent you tolerate when you get back home and then use them to protect your hair. At this point, I think a nice real scarf would make you feel a bit better :flower:

Also, if you think you will be wearing a head covering for a long time, you could already purchase some new coverings and put them away to "cure", that way you would have something nice to wear later.

I hope you will start feeling better soon.

Shadow
June 29th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Runzel,

If it's any help at all I shaved my hair all off once. I did a number one with a pair of barber's clippers :)

It was wonderfully freeing and I could get away with WO for months. If what's in your hair is causing damage to you and you can't get it out, then starting from scratch may not be the worst option for you.

Like you said, your body is more important than your hair and if shaving your hair off, and getting it to a point where it's not a strain on your body, would help your body to better cope with the stress it's under then it could very well be one of the best things you've ever done. If you're currently covering your hair with cloth anyway, no one would even know if your head was shaved and it would only take a month or two, with good care and regular massage (which you don't need any products for) for it to grow into a cute little pixie crop and then you can walk around as normal while it grows out. Or you can just do what I did and wear it proud :)

My hair grew back really quickly, and it was stong and shiny and healthy. Plus not having long hair to worry about styling was just what I needed at the time. I also found that it really taught me a valuable spiritual lesson about what is really important to me in life and how I often place way too much importance in how I look rather than in who I am.

I know it's not the sort of solution you were looking for, but in my honest opinion (drawn from my personal experience), sometimes vanity needs to take a back seat to health.

Good luck, sweetie :)

Periwinkle
June 29th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Afraid I have no help for you, but I'm going to add my well-wishes :flowers:

Melisande
June 29th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I think Shadow's advice is very sound. If you suffer so much, you may feel great relief when your hair comes off. At least you can reduce the fumes from your hair. It must be horrible to live in our "normal" surroundings and be sensitive to the poison that surrounds us all. Like a Cassandra telling a truth that nobody else can hear or wants to hear.

I hope you will soon feel better, and I hope we humans get our act together and re-discover the environment and its basic rules for global well-being. So that no immune system is provoked any more like yours is, Runzel.

Thank you for telling us about it.

NamedForTheMoon
June 29th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I'm also agreeing with Shadow's advice. Once you remove your hair and all those toxins, you should start feeling a lot better. And then you can start doing water only, and as your hair grows into it, it will be used to doing WO washes because that's all it will ever have known. And later down the road, if you need more moisture for your hair, you can just use a little coconut oil on the ends at night.

I really hope you start feeling better soon!

Kirin
June 29th, 2009, 12:08 PM
There is no use walking around sick with hair you cannot enjoy as it is wrapped up all the time. Your health is much more important than your hair at this point in time. The frustration you are living with, as well as the trials and failures are only going to add to stress and exacerbate your symptoms.

Personally, in my opinion, I think you should shave it off, as you are NOT enjoying your hair at all in this state, let alone seeing it being wrapped up all the time.

I think you will feel much better starting over and using WO, right from the start and feel better, and feel better about yourself.

Stormsong
June 29th, 2009, 12:17 PM
If I were in your position, I think I would cut my hair. Yes, it may seem a harsh step, but if it's one of the things contributing to poor health, then it would have to go, you can always grow your hair again later when you're better/recovering, you can't do that if it's helping to kill you.

That said, this is you, and you want to try and save it. I totally understand that, but I think you should set a limit to how long you try leaching out the chemicals in your hair without seeing/feeling a considerable difference. After that, it's more important that you work on getting back to an acceptable level of health. Beautiful long hair is desirable, but you won't get that, or enjoy it, if you don't have your health.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and I hope it works out the way you want it to :)

birdiefu
June 29th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I hope you are doing a little better right now. In your last post you mentioned you wanted to try the clay - if you did how did it go? Since your doctor(s) are aware of your MCS, have you brought this up to them yet? I am assuming they would be open today as it's a Monday, and I would definitely contact them if possible.

Wishing you the best!

Pixna
June 29th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Hello, Runzel. I'm sorry you are having such a rough time of it!! Several months ago, I had a horrific episode with severe eczema where my the skin on my face was just peeling off like paper -- it itched like crazy and was unbelievably sensitive. I know it was some sort of immune reaction, and I was fortunate to be able to narrow it down within a few weeks, eliminate the offenders, and start to heal. However, I needed to find appropriate products to use while I was narrowing down the culprits AND while I was healing.

I discovered the Lavera Neutral line (http://www.lavera.com/catalog/Neutral_Hypoallergenic-3-1.html), which is about as free of allergens and triggers as a product can be. They have everything from cleansers for face and body to lotions and soothing balms. They were the only things that got me through that unbelievably dreadful period.

Lavera also makes a "Basis" line -- I don't know if that is the product you tried previously. There are ingredients in that line that I definitely would NOT recommend for you. The Neutral line is entirely different.

I was lucky in that I was able to continue to use my regular shampoo (which I didn't think I could, but it turned out not to be a problem), so I have not tried the Lavera Neutral Shampoo (http://www.lavera.com/products/Neutral_Hair_Body_Shampoo_6_6_oz-39-3.html), but I would imagine it to be as gentle and chemical-free as all of the other items in the Neutral line. They do not have a Neutral conditioner, so you will need to improvise with that (maybe a very highly diluted ACV or baking soda rinse would work).

I would suggest giving them a try (the ingredients are listed with each product in the line). Good luck and best wishes to you!!!

Toadstool
June 29th, 2009, 12:53 PM
How terrible. I just want to extend my sympathy for what you are going through. Hugs

Laululintu
June 29th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Hope you start feeling better soon :flower:

rawgirl75
June 29th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I too have serious chemical sensitivities (but not to your severity) and am allergic to soap as well. I also moisturize my skin and hair with 100% cold pressed coconut oil only.

My advice: Cut short and start over again. Wash with WO or soapnuts.

If you take good care of your new hair, you'll have grown healthy shoulder length chemical-free hair in less than 2 years. (That's what I did in Oct 2007 and I'll have BSL hair by this winter.)

deko
June 29th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I'm so sorry that you must suffer this kind of medical condition. I would first try clay or shikakai and if they would not help then shave my hair off. If the situation's not getting better you shouldn't risk your health for "just a hair". Hair will grow back.

longhairedfairy
June 29th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Before cutting I think I would put Fuller's earth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuller's_earth#Uses) in my hair. It's often used as chinchilla dust (not the sand kind or the pumice kind) but it absorbs toxins.

aahavaa
June 29th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I have severe MCS also...will send you a friend request. One thing which has helped me when I have found myself in a similiar situation was swimming in the sea and keeping my hair in there a good while.It really seemed to strip it all off.You have to really stay there a while and swim around with your hair wet.A quick soak will not do the trick. It is amazing how much hair holds on to smells, even from just being in the fresh air but close to other people wearing smelly stuff.
The only shampoo I can use is urtekram, the no perfume one. All others even if they call themselves unperfumed , smell of one thing or another to some extent..or I end up reacting to.
Hope you can sort it out without cutting your hair. xx

JasmineDaisy
June 29th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I am really sorry for what you are going through. I hope you find a solution to your problem. :flower:

may1em
June 29th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I have nothing to add, except:grouphug:

I really hope you can find a way to start feeling better soon. Your health is the most important thing.

GypsyGoddess
June 29th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Nothing to add, except be well! It isn't worth being sick over hair. I basically buzzed mine off some time ago and it really was a learning experience in what femininity means to me.

renarok
June 29th, 2009, 10:08 PM
I hope you are finding relief from your condition. I really like the swimming in the sea idea, for its relaxation appeal.

Tangles
June 29th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Waist is pretty long. I think hair that long is just going to be hard to clean. Perhaps, cut to APL or shoulder first and see if the gunk comes out easier. I know you probably said "shave" for a good reason, but there's no reason to buzz your hair if a short(er) cut will facilitate the cleansing process. Good luck, whatever you end up deciding :flower:

NamedForTheMoon
June 30th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Runzel, we haven't heard from you for a few days. Personally, I'm starting to feel worried! Are you okay?

ratgirldjh
June 30th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Bentonite clay is supposed to absorb toxins from skin and hair. It is even said to remove toxins from hair that has been dyed. I have done clay packs on my hair and it definitely helped to remove build up, including protein.
This might be something to try. You can buy bentonite clay at health food stores and some grocery stores under the name Aztec Healing Clay and it is not expensive.

Runzel
July 1st, 2009, 11:59 AM
Thank you for all your comments. It's going to take me a bit of time to read them all! So far I still have my hair and am beginning to experience some relief. Now it's more of a long-term thing of whether or not the chemicals will dissipate at a fast enough rate so as not to unduly hinder my recovery from it.

I'm sorry to worry anyone; I was simply not well enough to come back on.

The clay difinitely helped a lot, along with repeated washings of soapnuts, baking soda, and vinegar with plentiful coconut oil inbetween it an attempt to protect my hair a bit.

I plan to read and respond to the comments more fully sometime soon.

Thank you all for your support!

Cherry_Sprinkle
July 1st, 2009, 12:14 PM
:grouphug: I am so glad to hear you are feeling better! I hope you continue to improve quickly! :flowers:

WritingPrincess
July 1st, 2009, 12:40 PM
I'm glad you're on the road to recovery!

enfys
July 1st, 2009, 01:58 PM
So glad you're feeling better Runzel! I didn't post before because I had no idea what to suggest. I hope you recover from this awful turn quickly.

longhairedfairy
July 1st, 2009, 03:21 PM
I'm glad to hear you're doing better and hope you continue to improve (rapidly!)! :grouphug:

Stormsong
July 1st, 2009, 03:43 PM
Very glad to hear that you're feeling better, and not had to loose the hair either yet! :)

MomoKoNoHanna
July 1st, 2009, 05:40 PM
I'm so glad that you are feeling better! I hope you feel a lot better soon and recover with your full set of hair:)

carloota
July 1st, 2009, 06:23 PM
I'm glad you're feeling better. I know Niphredil has mention Activated Carbon. Activated carbon, also known as activated charcoal, is supposed to absorb many toxins. In fact, some people ingest charcoal pills. I have a bottle. Sometimes I'll open a gel cap and pour the charcoal into my wash water when I'm washing my hair. I googled activated charcoal and found this information. Hope this helps. :)

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/activated_charcoal/article_em.htm

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question209.htm

Ursula
July 1st, 2009, 07:06 PM
You might want to try using distilled water for WO or for your final rinse, or collecting rainwater. You might try doing a mermaid soak - after washing and rinsing yourself, clean the bathub and fill the clean bathtub with clean water, get in, and soak for half an hour or more, to help disolve away anything clinging to you.

For wrapping your hair, you might want to look at some Sikh sites with turban-wrapping instructions. In particular, the "house" turbans, as being lighter weight and less formal. http://www.sikhnet.com/pages/tyingturbans

Coriander
July 1st, 2009, 08:32 PM
I'll continue to send good thoughts your way. Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better :) :flower:

Runzel
July 2nd, 2009, 08:21 AM
The current situation is that I can keep my hair bunned and not have intolerable problems with it,b ut the moment I take it down I begin reacting again. I'm still going through the clay, baking soda, vinegar, and coconut oil, but I can only manage it once a day due to low energy.

Now lets see if I can't respond to at least some of these posts. :)

Are you sure you're not allergic to coconut oil?

I had never heard of MCS, looked it up, and wow, that must be a terrible thing to have. I know that LHC makes it sound very tempting to try out all sorts of things (CO etc), but with your condition it seems like it would be safer to stick to just what you know works for you, right? If you know that baking soda, vinegar, and water only mostly work for you, I'd just stick to that, doesn't seem like it's worth the risk to try other things. I'm really sorry that you're going through this, it must be awful to react to all kinds of things. :(

Yes, I'm dead certain that coconut oil is not a problem for me. :) It is the only oil I can eat and I've been using it on my hair off and on for the past several months without the slightest hint of a problem with it. :)

I definitely agree with sticking with what works for me. The reason I stepped out to try something new was because my hair was breaking, no matter how gently I combed it. My hair is chronically dry, and being a curly after reading up several things on here I was certain that it needs moisture. Oil did not work. WO did not work. I even tried NW and that made it so bad it was breaking about twice as much. So I assure you, the second I find something that works for me I will cease experimenting! In the meantime I think I'll be content with breakign hair for now. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to understand--you said you have chemicals in your hair you can't get out. Did you dye your hair or did chemicals some how get into them. I've read all your posts but I can't seem to understand.

I am figuring your hair is long, so it is the chemicals on the length you are reacting to, that is causing a reaction.

My best bet would be speak to your health care professionals. They may know of a product we do not that can help you deal with this without having to shave your head.

Have you tried apple cider vinegar? ACV rinses might help with any ph level and restore balance, but I'm not sure anything can strip chemicals.

If the chemicals are bothering you from your hair, is there a point to which you don't have any on your hair? Ie, new growth? You wouldn't have to then shave, but maybe just trim/cut the chemicaled area?

Hugs to you. My mom has a light version of this due to systemic lupus, but does not react this badly. My aunt has this as well, but it triggers asthma.

Ugh. Having re-read your post, it's the non-toxic laundry detergant that's the problem. Despite that, these chemicals are made for cleaning clothing, not hair. The product would be harsh for any of us, but with your condition.

I would contact a Dr asap to get their input. Even if it means using an organic shampoo to remove those chemicals, I'd do it. In the long run, washing out those chemicals will help you. I hope. ((Hugs)))

I'm sorry my posts were difficult to understand; when I'm doing poorly my cognitive skills become compromised as well.

Actually, it was not the laundry detergent--it was the cleansing lotion. I washed my hair with the laundry detergent while trying to get out the guar gum, after I had tried all other alternative methods. I had no reaction to it--zero. I smelled it. I put it on my arms. No problem at all. I had absolutely no reaction to it prior, during, or after washing my hair with it. The smell did not linger on my hair, and I felt absollutely fine.

It was several days later (with no abnormal health problems)that I tried the cleansing lotion. The cleansing lotion was a last resort. I knew I reacted to it. I used it anyway as a calculated risk. Out of all the shampoos I tested in that brief period of time, this was the one that didn't cause an imemdiate life-threatening reaction, though I certainly began reaction the second it left the bottle. And it is that exact same chemical smell that has been overwhelming me ever since.

So I repeat, I am 100% percent certain it was not the laundry detergent. And believe it or not, I do understand that laundry detergent was made for fabric. ;) :lol:

Runzel
July 2nd, 2009, 08:23 AM
Please forgive my potential ignorance (I am new to the forum) but would a "natural" baby shampoo with no sulfates etc also cause problems? Just something extremely gentle...? I hope you don't have to shave off your hair... :(

Thank you for your kindness and concern. Yes, even "natural" baby shampoos are too much. Just smelling it from the bottle is enough to cause immediate adverse reactions. (WElcome to the forum!)

I'd just stop everything. Coconut oil included. No honey, no anything. Give it a few days. After that, water only, or if you can't stomach that, get a cotton sock and fill it with oats, and use that to wash your scalp and face. It doesn't work great on hair, and you have to rinse really well, but I guess it is better than nothing, and it is almost nothing. (It's a recommended soap alternative for dermatitis and eczema.) Still, water only is probably a better option at this point.

It doesn't matter if you don't normally react to things, when you're this bad (and I've been there too...) you don't want anything at all. Even things you're normally fine with can turn into real nasties.

You seem to be a very direct person, and I respect that. A lot of times being blunt can save a whole lot of time and energy. So to be blunt myself: your advice to stop everything and wait it out is like telling someone with severe poisoning to do likewise. Especially when I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that honey, baking soda, and vinegar cause me no adverse problems. Conversely, oats would cause me to break out in terrible hives. :rolleyes:

I do understand and apply the tecnique of stopping everything when you don't know what you're reacting to, or if you've suddenly become hypersensitive and things that were fine in the past might not be now. It's a very useful tool that I've used on multiple occasions. :) But when you know exactly what you're reacting to and it cannot be immediately removed from you environment (or it can but contaminates other things left behind) then at that point it is absolutely essential that anything and everything possible be done to remove that contaminant.

That isn't to say I don't appreaciate your suggestions. I agree that lots of water would be ideal, but unfortunately that is not and option for me due to other factors.

When you say you can't use soap, is that commercial soap or anything saponified? I'm wondering if you might get decent results from a good, pure castile soap (literally made from oil, water, and lye, only). CV's Castile & Calendula (about 1/3 of the way down this page (http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/soapbars.htm)) might work, and there are a number of soapers around who might be willing to make you something with one oil you can tolerate and nothing else.

For both WO and soap bars, you'll probably want an acid rinse of some form. Vinegar from something you can tolerate is a good option (you say white vinegar is OK), and citric acid is another option. I find that the vinegar cuts the sebum a bit when I'm doing WO, which is nice when you're in one of the greasy phases.

Unless you're absolutely sure they're OK, I'd stay away from the eggs, coconut oil, washing soda, and AVG, as these are common or known allergens, and I can't imagine the washing soda would be nice on hair, given that it's rather caustic.

Do try using catnip tea as a conditioner (works for a lot of people, and often said to be soothing), but do a spot test with it on your arm before applying it to your whole head! For a few days, though, I think you should just soak yourself in a bathtub full of water for a while, and just let whatever's in there leach out. Water is your friend -- all else is optional.

(soap question answered in following quote)

Thank you for the information. I don't think I've ever had an encounter with catnip before. It'd be interesting to test that out someday.

A bathtub sounds wonderful! However I currently do not have access to one.

I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this. I hope one of the ideas posted helps!

Since you stated earlier that "the main problem is smelly toxic chemicals that normal people can tolerate at low exposures but my body cannot", I'd suggest that you keep trying. It sounds like waiting and doing nothing will just get you sicker as long as there are chemicals with fumes in your hair. I second the ideas of clay (I'm sure you'll test first since it sounds like that would be a new thing), repeated baking soda washes with possibly longer soaks if you have the energy or can get help to manage it, and plain old water soaks.

Anje and Runzel, I hope you don't mind me jumping in here on the soap question. It's hard to keep everything straight. There is a lot of information in the thread given the seriousness and uniqueness of the situation. From a previous post from Runzel, no form of soap is doable:
"No, I cannot tolerate soap, not even homemade soap with one ingredient such as saponified organic olive oil or saponified organic coconut oil. I currently use baking soda and vinegar for all washing where soap would otherwise be required. I can't even get near teh bars of soap to try them...the smell for the other side of teh room is bad enough to make me vomit."

Thank you for the encouraging support. I don't mind at all with you jumping in to answer a question for me; I'm so glad you did!

This is pretty much my thought. I think filling up the bathtub and soaking your hair for a while a few times a day sounds like the best plan.

Most of the chemicals in haircare products are somewhat water soluble, it seems like they'd leech out eventually.

Yes, a bathtub would certainly be a wonderful thing! (That is, except for the lead that leaches out of most of them...:eek:)

I don't have anything to add other than I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Please be well and take care of yourself. :flower: I will be waiting to hear how you are doing. This can't be easy for you and I wish I could do something more for you...

((HUG))

Thank you so much! :)

I feel for you suffering with this. :grouphug: I would like to echo the clay and lots of water or distilled water rinses. I wouldn't try any other things as you are very sensitive right now. And I'd like to gently remind people on your behalf to PLEASE take the time to read all the posts before commenting :)

Aww, thank you. :)

Runzel, if you haven't done this already please do a very thorough allergy test to see just what you are allergic to. Coconut is actually quite a common allergen for some people, you so may be unwittingly be causing your body's own reaction. You really need to do a check up of your autoimmune system to see why you are allergic to so many common household chemicals. You may either need to be more vigilant about the air you breathe, food you eat and water you drink.

I appreciate your concern for my wellbeing. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I do have several doctors who work with me to be as healthy as possible. I have indeed done many, many allergy tests. And while I do have manny allergies, multiple chemical sensitivities are not allergic reactions. Rather, they're direct reactions to the toxicity of dangerous chemicals which, at low level doses, have no noticeable effect on people without this condition.

Consequently I am extremely aware of the quality of the air I breathe, the water I drink, the food I eat, and much, much more. A simple example is that conventionally grown fruits or veggies will make me ill, while organically grown produce will not (so long as I am not allergic to it). I have been blindly tested in this matter on multiple occasions, and each time was reporting unexplained illness within a few hours of consuming the conventionally-grown produce. So I am painfully aware of how important these sorts of things are to health and have been maintaining such practices for the past several years. :)

Runzel
July 2nd, 2009, 08:24 AM
If I would be in your shoes, I think I would cut (not necessarily shave) until an inch or two are left and go WO. I always thought that with a short style, it is easier to adjust to WO and make it work than when the hair is long and 'polluted' with all kinds of chemicals or natural residues.

Other than that, I would second the Clay and Distilled water suggestions. Maybe you can even use Activated Carbon (on the length only), as it would bind a lot of chemicals.

I hope you will find a solution that will make you feel better! *hug*

Thank you! I'm really liking the Activated Carbon idea,a nd I'm tryign to figure out why I didn't think of that. I guess that's where community comes in, isn't it? :)

You mentioned that you only have heavy sheeting fabric to cover you hair because chemicals in new cloth irritate you. How about used scarves? Maybe you could find some nice cotton second hand scarves, from relatives or friends or even a yard sale. You could wash them gently with the detergent you tolerate when you get back home and then use them to protect your hair. At this point, I think a nice real scarf would make you feel a bit better :flower:

Also, if you think you will be wearing a head covering for a long time, you could already purchase some new coverings and put them away to "cure", that way you would have something nice to wear later.

I hope you will start feeling better soon.

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately second-hand stuff is often filled with so much chemicals that no amount of washing and airing-out can cleanse them. :(

Runzel,

If it's any help at all I shaved my hair all off once. I did a number one with a pair of barber's clippers

It was wonderfully freeing and I could get away with WO for months. If what's in your hair is causing damage to you and you can't get it out, then starting from scratch may not be the worst option for you.

Like you said, your body is more important than your hair and if shaving your hair off, and getting it to a point where it's not a strain on your body, would help your body to better cope with the stress it's under then it could very well be one of the best things you've ever done. If you're currently covering your hair with cloth anyway, no one would even know if your head was shaved and it would only take a month or two, with good care and regular massage (which you don't need any products for) for it to grow into a cute little pixie crop and then you can walk around as normal while it grows out. Or you can just do what I did and wear it proud

My hair grew back really quickly, and it was stong and shiny and healthy. Plus not having long hair to worry about styling was just what I needed at the time. I also found that it really taught me a valuable spiritual lesson about what is really important to me in life and how I often place way too much importance in how I look rather than in who I am.

I know it's not the sort of solution you were looking for, but in my honest opinion (drawn from my personal experience), sometimes vanity needs to take a back seat to health.

Good luck, sweetie

I really appreciate your kind words. As I went back and forth on almost getting rid of it. I realized that one of the main reasons I want to keep it is for manageability so that I can focus on healing. I cannot use hair elastics, so the only way I can put my hair up is with a hairstick, which requires a bit of length. Currently, if I seriously need to conserve energy, I can put my hair in a bun and leave it for several days and nights on end with it staying out of my face and out of my way, while still looking decent. If I cut it all off (which is still a possibility) then I'd be sentencing myself to at least two years of not being able to put my hair up and out of the way. Since every little movement causes a loss of energy, not being able to put my hair up could really slow down my healing over the next several years.

But your words from the "other side" are a good reminder and definitely helpful to keep me balanced in my decisions as this becomes more of a long-term problem.

Afraid I have no help for you, but I'm going to add my well-wishes :flowers:

Thank you! :)

I think Shadow's advice is very sound. If you suffer so much, you may feel great relief when your hair comes off. At least you can reduce the fumes from your hair. It must be horrible to live in our "normal" surroundings and be sensitive to the poison that surrounds us all. Like a Cassandra telling a truth that nobody else can hear or wants to hear.

I hope you will soon feel better, and I hope we humans get our act together and re-discover the environment and its basic rules for global well-being. So that no immune system is provoked any more like yours is, Runzel.

Thank you for telling us about it.

Aww, thank you. :) It isn't exactly fun being the canary in the coal mine, but I'm glad when people see it and determine to do something about it.

I'm also agreeing with Shadow's advice. Once you remove your hair and all those toxins, you should start feeling a lot better. And then you can start doing water only, and as your hair grows into it, it will be used to doing WO washes because that's all it will ever have known. And later down the road, if you need more moisture for your hair, you can just use a little coconut oil on the ends at night.

I really hope you start feeling better soon!

There is no use walking around sick with hair you cannot enjoy as it is wrapped up all the time. Your health is much more important than your hair at this point in time. The frustration you are living with, as well as the trials and failures are only going to add to stress and exacerbate your symptoms.

Personally, in my opinion, I think you should shave it off, as you are NOT enjoying your hair at all in this state, let alone seeing it being wrapped up all the time.

I think you will feel much better starting over and using WO, right from the start and feel better, and feel better about yourself.

Thank you to you both. :) I'm not entirely convinced WO would work for my hair, but I suppose that's another subject for another thread....:D....anyway, I have to admit I'm a little surprised to find this much support for getting rid of my hair within a community that's all about long hair. I love it!

If I were in your position, I think I would cut my hair. Yes, it may seem a harsh step, but if it's one of the things contributing to poor health, then it would have to go, you can always grow your hair again later when you're better/recovering, you can't do that if it's helping to kill you.

That said, this is you, and you want to try and save it. I totally understand that, but I think you should set a limit to how long you try leaching out the chemicals in your hair without seeing/feeling a considerable difference. After that, it's more important that you work on getting back to an acceptable level of health. Beautiful long hair is desirable, but you won't get that, or enjoy it, if you don't have your health.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and I hope it works out the way you want it to :)

Especially to the part of you post I bolded, I give a hearty amen! That's exactly my current plan. The chemicals are currently leaching out at a rate where I'm no longer reacting intolerably in the short run, however, in the long run low-level exposure could really do a number on my delicate health. I think so far I have made the right decisions for me, but I am continuing to evaluate the situation. Thank you for your balanced reply!

I have severe MCS also...will send you a friend request. One thing which has helped me when I have found myself in a similiar situation was swimming in the sea and keeping my hair in there a good while.It really seemed to strip it all off.You have to really stay there a while and swim around with your hair wet.A quick soak will not do the trick. It is amazing how much hair holds on to smells, even from just being in the fresh air but close to other people wearing smelly stuff.
The only shampoo I can use is urtekram, the no perfume one. All others even if they call themselves unperfumed , smell of one thing or another to some extent..or I end up reacting to.
Hope you can sort it out without cutting your hair. xx

I'm sorry to hear of your MCS; I will check out the shampoo you use. Seawater sounds like an interesting idea! I don't currently have access to it, but I'lld efinitely keep that idea tucked away for future use. :)

Okay, marathon post is finished! Again, thank you to everyone for your comments, suggestions, and support. I sincerely do appreciate it.

Kirin
July 2nd, 2009, 09:03 AM
Trust me, no one wants to shave their head, its usually a last resort. Sadly though in your case, you are being made much more ill by what is going on, and there are times to make yourself well first. My opinions on hair might be different than others here, (not sure though), but to me it is for the individual, and an adornment. It is not a thinking breathing thing I -must- nurture or I am a failure or neglectful.

One would not think too long about removing a limb that was full of gangrene, because the risk is too high. In you case, it is your hair that is making you currently ill, I would not mess around with that for too long.

The self as a whole is more important than an individual part, and overall health is imperative, and not up for negotiation in my opinion. If my own hair was causing, say, continual migraines, or some other allergic type reactions such as you are facing, I would have NO hesitation being rid of it.

I do not know how you could continue after that, as I am not versed and knowledgeable of your condition. However, my main concern is your health and well being, not the length of your hair.

I truly wish you some relief to your current problem. If I can help in any way, please let me know.

Darkhorse1
July 2nd, 2009, 02:30 PM
Thank you for the clarification on the cleansing lotion being the culprit. No worries--my mother suffers from systemic Lupus and on her really bad days, she has a brain fog and cannot articulate well at all. I understand what you are going through in that respect.

I thought about the poster who said soaking/laying in salt water helped remove toxins from her hair. What if you got sea salt and filled a basin with water and sea salt and just soaked your hair in that. You could do this upside down, hair in the basin, whilst sitting. Not sure how comfortable that would be for you, but it might help?

The masks/clay will do the best at drawing out any chemicals. Though, I would think they would have been removed by now? Again, not sure how long these last in hair as I know hair is porous.

Hugs!

feralnature
July 2nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
I have read this whole thread and I really feel for you and hope you can find some relief soon. It must be awful to be so sensitive. I do have to express my opinion though. If it were me, I would go water only. I would let my poor scalp rest. I would really reconsider the vinegar and baking soda. Vinegar is an acid and can burn your scalp and soda is abrasive and a base and you know what happens when you mix them, think school science project, the ever popular lava spewing volcano. I would also seriously consider cutting my hair if it was making me ill.

I know that only you know yourself and your hair and that my advice is just that. Good luck and well wishes :)

Deborah
July 2nd, 2009, 09:19 PM
If my hair were causing me problems like yours is causing you, I would not hesitate to remove most or all of it. You hesitate to cut because you believe you will find it too difficult to keep it out of your way. If you cut it very, very short, and keep it that way, you will find it cannot be in your way due to it's extreme shortness. If you still react badly to your hair or the various things that keeping it clean involves, then shave away and keep it shaved until you are fully recovered. Only then would I consider letting it grow again.

With such severe allergies, it may be that wearing long hair is simply not a sensible or wise choice for you. Actually, some women can look quite attractive with very short hair. If I were you, I would decide to become one of their number! You can do it! Be healthy! :flower:

Runzel
July 2nd, 2009, 11:18 PM
I have read this whole thread and I really feel for you and hope you can find some relief soon. It must be awful to be so sensitive. I do have to express my opinion though. If it were me, I would go water only. I would let my poor scalp rest. I would really reconsider the vinegar and baking soda. Vinegar is an acid and can burn your scalp and soda is abrasive and a base and you know what happens when you mix them, think school science project, the ever popular lava spewing volcano. I would also seriously consider cutting my hair if it was making me ill.

I know that only you know yourself and your hair and that my advice is just that. Good luck and well wishes :)

Just to clarify, I'm not mixing baking soda and vinegar together and putting them on my hair....that would sure be a funny sight! :lol: Rather, I'm dissolving a little baking soda completely in water, putting that in my hair, rinsing it out, and then putting a little vinegar in water, putting that in my hair, and rinsing it out. :)

If my hair were causing me problems like yours is causing you, I would not hesitate to remove most or all of it. You hesitate to cut because you believe you will find it too difficult to keep it out of your way. If you cut it very, very short, and keep it that way, you will find it cannot be in your way due to it's extreme shortness. If you still react badly to your hair or the various things that keeping it clean involves, then shave away and keep it shaved until you are fully recovered. Only then would I consider letting it grow again.

With such severe allergies, it may be that wearing long hair is simply not a sensible or wise choice for you. Actually, some women can look quite attractive with very short hair. If I were you, I would decide to become one of their number! You can do it! Be healthy! :flower:

This is the first time checmials in my hair have caused me health problems, so it's a relatively new thing. I'm certainly not going to keep my hair if it's making me sick all the time. However, this is the first time it's happened, so I'm in uncharted territory. If I can get the chemicals out and all is as before, then there would be no reason to cut it. However if I cannot get the chemicals out completely then you are right, the obvious choice is to cut it.

If I were to cut it very short or shave it then keep it that way it would take extra energy that I don't have, since I'd have to keep cutting it.

Flynn
July 2nd, 2009, 11:26 PM
You seem to be a very direct person, and I respect that. A lot of times being blunt can save a whole lot of time and energy. So to be blunt myself: your advice to stop everything and wait it out is like telling someone with severe poisoning to do likewise. Especially when I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that honey, baking soda, and vinegar cause me no adverse problems. Conversely, oats would cause me to break out in terrible hives. :rolleyes:

I do understand and apply the tecnique of stopping everything when you don't know what you're reacting to, or if you've suddenly become hypersensitive and things that were fine in the past might not be now. It's a very useful tool that I've used on multiple occasions. :) But when you know exactly what you're reacting to and it cannot be immediately removed from you environment (or it can but contaminates other things left behind) then at that point it is absolutely essential that anything and everything possible be done to remove that contaminant.

That isn't to say I don't appreaciate your suggestions. I agree that lots of water would be ideal, but unfortunately that is not and option for me due to other factors.

Fair enough: my experience has been that if it is dry, stationary, and I'm not adding anything, the reaction settles down enough within a few days that I can then wet it (moving the residues around again) and get all the crap out. The reaction always continues for some time after the irritant or allergen has been eliminated, so just stopping and not letting it come into contact with my skin again can do the trick. This usually happens to me if I (for some stupid reason, and I do) try a leave-in conditioner.

I have bad dermatitis, and have severe reactions to a lot of things, too.

If I've had a really bad reaction to something, even trying aloe vera to soothe the burns makes everything so much worse. And I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt that I don't have any problems with fresh aloe vera.

So, I'm not speaking entirely out of ignorance and assumption here: I'm speaking from what has worked and does work for me. And for me, doing anything, even if I know it won't hurt, has always made it much, much worse. *Shrugs*

Elettaria
July 3rd, 2009, 04:22 AM
I'm in a similar situation to you, and have cut a third off my hair in the last few months due to illness (from thigh-length to waist-length, and may need to cut off more). I've got severe ME/CFIDS. In my case the problem is not having the strength to wash and deal with my hair as much as it needs. I do have probems with chemical sensitivities, and while it's nowhere near your level, I have to be very strict about using only the products that work for me, and get dermatitis very easily. Then I proceed to get a bad reaction from the soothing cream prescribed by the doctor!

The best hair range I have found is http://www.houseofmistry.com/shop/hair-care-c-9.html. I use the ginseng herbal products. However, I've checked through your list and all of the hair care products contain plants you don't get on with, such as nettle or jojoba. The company's still excellent, and the products are far and away the gentlest I've ever found. (To give a frame of reference, Faith by Nature and Urtekram are both known for being "natural" and gentle, and both irritated me severely. I can't go anywhere near commercial products.) Would http://www.houseofmistry.com/shop/organic-soap-with-vit-e-p-15.html be worth trying? It's incredibly gentle (at least by my standards, which I realise may not be enough), soap-free, and based on soapwort. I find it a little drying on my hair myself, but it's better than nothing. They're in the UK, but I think they have suppliers in other countries too. Failing that, someone in other countries may be making similar products. Dr Mistry might even custom-make something for you if you request it, it's worth a shot. I think he'd enjoy the challenge.

I'm gathering that there are two issues surrounding the idea of cutting your hair: practicality (being able to get it out of the way comfortably) and loving having long hair. For the second, I've found it helps to cut my hair a bit at a time. I think I've cut about 15" off total, but the largest chop at any one point was the 4" I had off on Tuesday. My hair is now shorter than it's been since primary school, to give you some idea of how much long hair means to me. This allows me to get used to it gradually, both psychologically and physically. I think my favourite length was tailbone, which it was a few days ago, but I'm having a bad year, I need to be practical, and I'm determined to enjoy the benefits of each different length I pass through. Plus I got used to tailbone pretty fast and found it was rather liberating and I preferred it, to my surprise. In addition, my ends now appear so much thicker, which is lovely to see. Although it does make it much harder to get them into a bun that stays put, having a taper seemed to work a lot better.

In your shoes, I'd probably cut about half off and see how I got on with that before going for a shaved head. Admittedly it does sound like shaving might be the best option, but with everything you're trying, you may as well try shorter hair on the way there if you can. I found a hairdresser who does home visits and doesn't use anything other than water on my hair, so presumably that should be manageable for you.

Next there's the practicality problem. You say that you need to be able to put it into a bun held by hairsticks as you can't use hair elastics. This is just the sort of challenge that this forum excels at meeting! Put up a post asking people if they can work out a way around this for shorter hair, especially the people who have similar hair to you. I'm sure they'll be able to work something out. Perhaps a different type of hair toy, made out of a material you can tolerate? Or a different type of bun? What hair toy materials and finishes can you tolerate? Wood? Dymondwood? Metal? Are there any materials which will be OK only if they're old enough? Once you've worked that out, I'd cut your hair to the shortest that is practical and still makes you feel like you have a decent amount of hair, and see how you get on.

justme
July 4th, 2009, 02:58 PM
For future washing, once (hopefully) these chemicals have gone away, you could check out this (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=168909&postcount=4) old post on using eggs, lemon juice, and honey to wash. I used it several times and it worked well.

I'm glad to hear it's getting a bit better and wish you luck in finding a permanent solution that works.

Runzel
July 12th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Update time.

So long as I do a 2-hour bentonite clay soak followed by washing my hair with baking soda and vinegar, as well as liberally applying coconut oil as soon as it dries--every single day--then I am no longer reacting to my hair.

If I skip a day or two I can sometimes swing it if I don't touch my hair at all and keep it up (never taking it down at all), but I still end up with swollen eyes in the morning, which worsens considerably with each day I put off washing it. As soon as I go through the above proceedure, I'm fine again...until the next day.

I think by now it's pretty clear that these chemicals in my hair are there to say. The repeated washings have also put my hair in quite a deplorable state. And while I could keep up this high-maintenence routine for a little while, when the next big wave of illness hits it would be impossible. Furthermore, this routine is ruining my hair so that the healthy non-chemical roots are getting the same harsh treatement and being ruined as they grow out. (I'm beginning the process of trying to avoid my scalp in the clay soakings, but I'm not sure how well that is going to work)

As it is, if my hair is any shorter I don't think I'd be able to put it up with a stick. I cannot use elastic due to my illness, and I must keep my chemical hair up for it to not bother me as the chemicals outgass after it dries. So the way I see it, that amounts to two options:

Keep up this routine (if physically able) and trim slowly until non-chemical hair has grown out, then stop the destructive routine and trim slowly, waiting for the poor quality hair to grow out.
Shave now (remember, I cannot have chemical hair "down" at all) and wait for things to grow out, enduring the extra energy and inconvenience of growing out short hair and not being able to put it up for a few years.I don't know how much longer the first option will be a possibility. The second option would bring instant resolve, but it's a big decision.

I'm probably going to end up trying option 1 until I am no longer able and then suddenly do option 2 the moment I am fully convinced that I must do so for the sake of my health. And who knows...by then it might have grown enough that I might not need to shave it all off.

If anyone has a third option, I'd like to hear it. :)

Also, I have not yet been able to get my hands on some activated carbon, but that's something I hope to try soon.

nowxisxforever
July 12th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Oh no, those nasty chemicals are still in your hair? :( I am so sorry!

I'd go with #1 as long as possible. Maybe try trimming an inch every month, so that by time you get up to successful-ponytail-length, most of the chemicals should be gone.

Runzel
July 12th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Oh no, those nasty chemicals are still in your hair? :( I am so sorry!

I'd go with #1 as long as possible. Maybe try trimming an inch every month, so that by time you get up to successful-ponytail-length, most of the chemicals should be gone.

Thank you for your support.

Unfortunately I cannot use pony-tail holders of any sort, since they all require natural or synthetic rubber which I am severely reactive to, so "ponytail-length" doesn't do anything for me. :(

Unless I learn how to do it just with ribbons or cloth ties....it hasn't worked in the past, but perhaps I might figure out how to make it work from pure desperation? :lol:

Bunnyhare
July 12th, 2009, 04:33 PM
i think they sell activated charcoal at pet supply places for fish tanks
i am so sorry this has been such a mess for you..keep your spirits up and do what you have to to be healthy, that is the ultimate importance!

Shandra
How much could you cut off and still get it all up in a stick?

Also, I don't know if you can use it, but I've found that leather works better than ribbons or cloth ties. Especially if you wet it a touch first, as it shrinks when it dries.

Tabitha
Your daily routine sounds exhausting to me, and I'm a reasonably fit and well person! I can only be bothered with washing my hair once a week.

I say get rid of the hair and get some rest.

Runzel
July 12th, 2009, 04:38 PM
i think they sell activated charcoal at pet supply places for fish tanks
i am so sorry this has been such a mess for you..keep your spirits up and do what you have to to be healthy, that is the ultimate importance!

Thank you!

How much could you cut off and still get it all up in a stick?

Also, I don't know if you can use it, but I've found that leather works better than ribbons or cloth ties. Especially if you wet it a touch first, as it shrinks when it dries.

Under the assumption that the Lazy wrap bun takes the smallest amount of hair to complete, it looks like I can atually cut off a good three or four inches (lots of it is taper) and still be able to do that one.

That's a good suggestion. I can tolerate really old and well-worn leather.

Your daily routine sounds exhausting to me, and I'm a reasonably fit and well person! I can only be bothered with washing my hair once a week.

I say get rid of the hair and get some rest.

Thank you. :D

DragonLady
July 12th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I have to agree it's time to let go of the hair. Repeatedly exhausting yourself isn't going to help in the long run, the damaged hair still has to come off, and you're not enjoying it at all now, anyway.

So I'd let it go and begin again. Buy some cute hats or a chic wig and relax 'till you've begun to recover some. Then decide what to do from a better vantage point.

Laylah
July 12th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about your suffering:( I'd say it would be best to shave off your hair and start fresh with WO. In the long run it will be healthier for both you and your hair, I'm sure.

I wish you the best with whichever option you choose.

Fractalsofhair
July 12th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Hey, I'd suggest shaving your head and letting it grow out if it bugs you terribly and is making you ill. Hair does grow!(Though if you can avoid shaving it, that's best!) Can you use SLS shampoos? I have chemical sensitivities as well(Not as severe, but still a huge pain), and one wash with Whole Foods unscented would work well, I'm sure to get the chemicals out. Then, Alaffia and soap bars are probably your best bet. The only synthetic in Alaffia is that IDK how their essential oils are distilled(Steam would be fine, solvent might be iffy.), and they do use a synthetic thickener in their conditioner(Ceytl Alcohol, sp?). It works great for me.

Soap bars are generally a safe option, Chagrin Valley sells soap bars without essential oils(and with), and Doc Bronner's does as well. If you know a local cold process soap maker, they'd be able to make you a custom order, I'm sure!(Wait... I see sensitivity to soap. Do you know if it's the lye, or the oils. They(Meaning you, or a soap maker who is helpful!) can make all natural lye with ashes, and water, that likely will bother you less. It depends on how the lye is made, but the trace amounts could be the problem. http://soapmaking.tribe.net/thread/d51d7064-80ef-4c58-9fee-b5677711a13e Homemade lye recipe. Choose cloth for the filter, I would think(an organic you're safe with) and only woods you're not allergic to. Create the ashes in a fireplace, don't use lighter fluid(or in a clean grill) and only use oils you don't react to, organically grow/raised(lard may be an OK option.).)

WO sounds like it may be the best option, or herbs. It may be more work in the short term to have "pretty" short hair, but hair does grow, and well, if you're sick, people are more understanding if you don't look too great.

What are you currently using to wash your body? It's probably fine to use on your hair, although it might be harsh? Are you allergic to cones?(EXTREMELY RARE!!!!) There are some... cone based products that are unscented/preservative free, but are meant for... romantic as opposed to hair use, that may help with the dry appearance.
Deep oilings occasionally will help as well. There are tons of herbs that are good for cleansing, and may help you.

Overall, I suggest figuring out what exactly in soap bothers you and why(Since most lye is synthetically produced, rather as homemade lye may bother you less, if made with the right woods and such), and cutting off the chemicals.

Also, are you absolutely sure there is nothing in your water you're reacting to? A lot of water has traces of chemicals that bother people, even without MCS/hypersensitives to chemicals. Can you use items that are in plastic containers? These are all things to consider. BTW, coconut milk is great for nourishing extremely damaged hair! (High in protein and fat! :) )

Fiferstone
July 12th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Hi Runzel: I second DragonLady's vote to let it go and start afresh with virgin hair. I hope that provides some relief to you. You have bigger battles to fight and you need all your strength for those. No matter the actual physical length your hair winds up being while you detox, you're a longhair at heart. :grouphug:

wintersun99
July 12th, 2009, 05:43 PM

Gulbahar
July 13th, 2009, 02:26 AM
@Fractalsofhair
Runzel can't use any of the things you mentioned. She explained it all in this long thread. There is very little left for her to use for washing which makes life very difficult.
Runzel, may be in your situation shaving really is the best option. I feel for you!

Flynn
July 13th, 2009, 02:41 AM
If you're still having serious issues with it, it's probably not worth it. Shave, and rock that funky fuzz as it grows out. If I didn't have to go through the fugly intermediate stages my hair does when I'm wearing it short and leave it uncut for too long, I'd do it every couple of years!

justme
July 16th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Does anyone know what buffs (http://www.buffwear.com/) are made of? If they are usable for you, they are a great way to get your hair out of the way for long hair and I imagine for shorter hair if you do cut.

Here are a couple pictures of how I use them to get my hair out of the way.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/justmelonghair/2007/2007-08-12-28buff.jpg ..... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/justmelonghair/2007/2007-10-11-05-1.jpg

manderly
July 16th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I'm pretty sure they have elastic in them, but I'm sure she could do something similar with a cotton scarf or something :)

Runzel
July 16th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Thank you all for your continued support and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Yesterday I patch-tested the activated carbon (I know it's supposed to be fine, but with my health I never know) and it seem slike I should be able to try it, so I'm hoping to get that done this evening. It's the last shot. I migth try it a few times, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up cutting it all off. I'll keep you all updated.

HappyHair87
July 16th, 2009, 09:50 PM
If its to the point you feel youre going to die....please cut it off!!! Hair will grow back hun!! I know its easier said than done....but how would it sound?....you dying from a hair accident?

We don't want that :(

Ara
July 16th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I've read through most but not all posts - so forgive me if I missed something and post a "stupid".

Please - if you are suffering ... cut the hair, it will grow back and your health is much more important. If you wear a nice scarf for a while - hey , it's an opportunity to get some/make some pretty scarves !!

Please don't make yourself physically ill over this.

You mentioned you don't have access to a bathtub to soak in - but perhaps you might have access to a large container (old ceramic /porcelain wash basin ? a large glass container, or if you are "safe" with plastics an old used and well washed out commercial size ice cream pail (the 5 gallon kind - you can often ask for them as ice cream shops) . Perhaps you could fill the container with clear warm water and find a way to soak a large potion of you hair in it for 20 or 30mins, once or twice a day ??

I'm not nearly as sensitive as you are .. but the only soap I am able to use is Dr. Bronners "baby" ( it has no scent, no dye, no "flavours") http://www.drbronner.com/index.html . I know the now have an organic line as well.

I'm not sure if you can tolerate epsom salts at all ? I know I used the to calm "angry skin" due to sensitivities - but it's also one of the things that is recommended to remove buildup from bathtowels that over time accumulate a layer of silicone and "grime" from fabric softener and not fully rinsed out soap.

I don't know how safe this would be for your hair - I know that I've let my hair into a tub that has a fairly high amount of epsom salts. The recommended per tub is 1 cup and i often use 2 if not 3 *shrug* it helps relax my muscles and also is the best way for people like myself who have fibromyalgia to absorb magnesium (via the skin works better than pills often)

I'm not sure if either of these might be of any help what so ever.

One consideration - if you are sure you didn't react to the laundry soap ... have you considered trying a very weak solution on your length to see if that helps ?

I wish I had some real wisdom for you !! I will however keep you in my thoughts and prayers !!

Pegasus Marsters
July 16th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I think it's time to shave it off. Better that than the reactions you're having now! I bet you'll look gorgeous whatever you do. :)

earthdancer
July 16th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I've read most of the thread and can't find anywhere that suggested Benadryl, the antihistamine. I had a terrible allergic reaction to a brown recluse spider bite once and the doctor gave me a cortisone shot and some Benadryl. The bite had swollen to cover half of one side of my calf, but it cleared up completely within the hour! The same kind of spider has bitten me 4 times more since then (20 year span) and now I just take the Benadryl.

If you can afford to get a cortisone shot, I would recommend it and the Benadryl; if you can't afford the shot but you can tolerate Benadryl, I can highly recommend it even if you have to take a nap afterward. It makes me sleepy, but it works great.

earthdancer
July 16th, 2009, 10:25 PM
PS I take a double dose of Benadryl for spider bite, since that's what they gave me at the hospital. Thus the nap.

Runzel
July 17th, 2009, 05:50 AM
I've read most of the thread and can't find anywhere that suggested Benadryl, the antihistamine. I had a terrible allergic reaction to a brown recluse spider bite once and the doctor gave me a cortisone shot and some Benadryl. The bite had swollen to cover half of one side of my calf, but it cleared up completely within the hour! The same kind of spider has bitten me 4 times more since then (20 year span) and now I just take the Benadryl.

If you can afford to get a cortisone shot, I would recommend it and the Benadryl; if you can't afford the shot but you can tolerate Benadryl, I can highly recommend it even if you have to take a nap afterward. It makes me sleepy, but it works great.

Chemical sensitivities are not allergies--there is no histamine reaction, so anti-histamines do not help. It's not an immune system dysfunction where the body attacks something that's good for it, rather, it's having a very low threshold for suffering the negative effects of everyday toxic chemicals.

For example, an average healthy person might be able to use window cleaner with little more than an irksome smell, but have them breathe the fumes directly from an open bottle for an hour or so and they'll likely start getting headaches, nausea, and other unpleasant symptoms. Average people with Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS) would get those same symptoms from just washing the window quickly. With my very severe case I get those symptoms if I step into a room where the cleaner has been used at all that day. You see, everyone has a threshold for various toxic chemicals at increasing doses at which point their body will begin to exhibit unpleasant symptoms--that's normal. For those with MCS that point is simply much lower than average.

earthdancer
July 17th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Hmmm, Multiple Chemical Sensitivities would explain the reactions my husband has to some toxins like pesticide (ie, Orkin, etc.) and city pollution. He's been tested; he's not allergic, but he has very bad reaction to those chemicals as well as some cleansers. Even his own family thinks he's making it up, since nothing shows on the outside, it's all internal. It's mainly his respiratory system that reacts.

Armelle
July 17th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Yeah, wow. I've been struggling with migraines for some years now since I've lived in this town (some people think it's my hair length). I went to an allergist and he said it wasn't that, but I know some smells set me off right away! Now I understand what he meant about it not being an allergy. Anti-histimines don't do anything. I may need to look into this chemical sensitivity thing. I'm really sorry you're going through such hardship.

Niphredil
July 17th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I still say - shave it. Then you might be able to wear some scarves from a material you can bare to cover it until you reach a length you can work with. Maybe your condition will have improved some by then, giving you more options.
The very short hair might also be an opportunity to try WO or NW/SO, so there will be no further need for chemicals on your hair.

Hair or Health? I'd say Health !

My Sympathies, please don't wait too long making your decision!

Runzel
July 17th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Hmmm, Multiple Chemical Sensitivities would explain the reactions my husband has to some toxins like pesticide (ie, Orkin, etc.) and city pollution. He's been tested; he's not allergic, but he has very bad reaction to those chemicals as well as some cleansers. Even his own family thinks he's making it up, since nothing shows on the outside, it's all internal. It's mainly his respiratory system that reacts.

Yeah, wow. I've been struggling with migraines for some years now since I've lived in this town (some people think it's my hair length). I went to an allergist and he said it wasn't that, but I know some smells set me off right away! Now I understand what he meant about it not being an allergy. Anti-histimines don't do anything. I may need to look into this chemical sensitivity thing. I'm really sorry you're going through such hardship.

If my hardship results in a few people finding out what's making them ill then I consider that well worth it. :)

I still say - shave it. Then you might be able to wear some scarves from a material you can bare to cover it until you reach a length you can work with. Maybe your condition will have improved some by then, giving you more options.
The very short hair might also be an opportunity to try WO or NW/SO, so there will be no further need for chemicals on your hair.

Hair or Health? I'd say Health !

My Sympathies, please don't wait too long making your decision!

Thank you for your support. I actually do not need chemicals on my hair now, or before, so length and chemicals have no correlation. I only had to use a commercial product when I got something in my hair that I could not get out any other way, and it was that one time use that has brough about this fiasco. I promise I will put my health above my hair--as I've told other people, my hair is dead; my body isn't, therefore my body gets the right of way. :D It's just that getting rid of my hair also affects my body, which is why so far I've been trying everything else first. But yes, it's getting very close to that point.

Nightshade
July 17th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I'm glad to see activated carbon was suggested, that was going to be my advice. If it doesn't work, then at least you can move onto to shaving and having virgin hair knowing you exhausted your options first :) Peace to you on your decision.

Spike
July 17th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Just checking in to see how you are. :grouphug:

BroknRechord
July 17th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Runzel,

It sounds like you've been given a lot of information, which can be overwhelming not just to sort through, but also to respond to. Please feel free to let mine go without response!
However, if you do shave it and would like some anecdotes about growing it out and the few tricks I learned in my experience for keeping it out of the way and dealing with the lack of style... I would love to connect. I don't have any more natural hair cleansing hints but I did want to send you some light and love.

Go with your gut! Your body seems to be very good at telling you what you do and don't need. Listen to your soul and let it guide you. Meditate, set an intention before bed to awaken with your answer. You are whole and loved and powerful. You can trust yourself to take care of yourself.

With light and love,
Chelsey

Kiraela
July 19th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Runzel, how are you feeling? Did the activated carbon help any? I know many of us would love an update, if you're in good enough condition to give one! I'm worried about you...

longhairedfairy
July 19th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I hope you're doing okay.:grouphug:

wintersun99
July 19th, 2009, 09:26 PM

Renbirde
July 19th, 2009, 11:15 PM
:) I hope you're still improving.

I was thinking-- if you can do french braids on yourself, you could have your hair quite short and still have it 'up', more or less. Would collar-length be short enough to help you? You'd still be able to fasten them with ribbon, you'd just have to bring the ribbon in while you're still pulling in hair...

Instructions. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=630605&#post630605) (I know you already have these, but I thought I should stick the link in, in case you wanted them again...)

Best of luck, Runzel. <3 Take care. :grouphug:

bugeyedmonster2
July 20th, 2009, 01:53 AM
How are you doing? Let us know when you can. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

(^_^)/
BEM

EynaraWolf
July 25th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I have read most of the posts and skimmed the rest. Its seems you do know your hair best and what chemicals and other products you can and cannot handle.

It also seems to me your current issues about cutting you hair or even shaving it is how to keep it up and manageable as it grows out to a length you can use hair sticks on.

I do have a suggestion for that without the use of elastics. You said you have bed sheets that you have been using to wrap your hair in. My suggestion would be to cut one of those up to make hair scarfs and cut some into strips to use as hair ties to keep your hair up and out of the way. My mother-in-law has CFIDS which is something entirely different from MCS but does have some chemical sensitivity and more importantly the lack of energy. So I do have a little understanding and part of our health is our mental well being which can be affected by how we look. Hair scars, hair band and hair ties made from material you know you do not have a sensitivity to might help with the transition from shaved head to long hair again, and they can be made with a simple pair of scissors when you have the energy to cut the fabric.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

klcqtee
July 25th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I read about your heavy cloth situation, and I have a suggestion! I don't know if you're allergic to microfiber cotton (I hope not!) but they have this neat product at the local dollar stores:
http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/P10825612a.jpg
We have a Dollar tree where I live, and I found it there for (you guessed it) a dollar. It's very very light. It's kind of a triangle shape that wraps up like a turban, and has a cute little button to keep it on your head. It's incredibly light and when I used it fresh out of the package, it didn't have a smell (of course you'd probably have to wash it first) other than cotton. Hopefully this means it wouldn't take 40 washes for you to be able to safely wear it.
I really hope this helps alleviate one of your problems. Get well soon!