PDA

View Full Version : Self trimming?

Mrs.X
June 28th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Hi everyone! I'm thinking of trimming my own hair rather than going to a hairdresser since they always seem to take off a bit too much, but i've never done it before and don't really know how to. I've seen a few members mention Feye's self trimming method but i had a good search through the forums/articles and couldn't find anything, so i was hoping someone could be so kind as to point me in the right direction? Thanks so much :) x

Jessie
June 28th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I've done self trim for quite a while, and always have a family member check to make sure it's level when I am finished. Usually what I do is put it all in a snug pony tail at the nape, making sure it's all straight and pulled evenly. Then I pull down on the scrunchy slowly and evenly, straight down my back, until it's almost to the end. Then I trim as much off as needed, usually less than I think, just to make sure I don't chop too much. Usually there's a little bit that needs trimmed again, so I usually repeat the procedure a couple times, and then ask someone to check the even-ness for me. That's the way I do it... I think someone on the forum mentioned this a long time ago, but I don't remember who it was. Sorry for not crediting you, whoever you are! :-)

Mrs.X
June 28th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks so much Jessie! x

krissykins
June 28th, 2009, 01:22 PM
This (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/) is the link to Feye's instructions. HTH :)

willowcandra
June 28th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I can reccomend feyes method, as linked above. Never failed me.

neon-dream
June 28th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I used Feye's method too, I cut my hair from a V shape to a U with her directions, I would never have been able to do it otherwise!

I reccomend this method to anyone :).

Pixna
June 28th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I have also used Feye's method for years to create a variety of hemlines -- blunt, U, and V. It works like a charm!

daydreamer
June 28th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I've been using Feye's method too. It really works well! And, you can cut just a little at a time if you are afraid of doing too much at once.

gmdiaz
June 28th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I use Feye's technique too but get hubby back me up. . .just to be sure that I didn't miss anything.

Works like a charm. . .but I barely take off any length. . .just dustings really.

may1em
June 28th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Another recommendation. :)

Mrs.X
June 29th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks for all the advice, I just used Feye's method to trim my hair in to a slight U shape and i'm so pleased with how it's turned out although i was so nervous about doing it wrong! It's lovely to have complete control over how much i want trimmed. I'll definately be using this method from now on! x

Tracyarts
June 29th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Last week I had my husband help me cut my hair using Feye's instructions. It was the first time I've ever attempted to trim the length at home, and it turned out great.

Tracy

pdy2kn6
June 29th, 2009, 09:27 AM
glad it worked out well, im another feye-self-trimmerER!

Pixna
June 29th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Great!! Good for you for having the courage to give it a try. It's really a lot easier (and not as scary) as one might think. Now we just need to see pics of the before and after! :D

bakertwins2004
June 29th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I do the long layer trim. It was posted here also. Pony tail on top of head pull it straight up and trim ends off. Worked awesome.

LisaJaney
June 29th, 2009, 10:27 AM
That's how I did my first layer-cut when I went from all-one-length to long layers. Now I do it differently, but that "pony atop the head" really worked well. I did mine off my forehead and pulled it forward and up, but it's the same thing basically.

And for years I did Feye's self-trim method and it works GREAT! I always had hubby double-check to make sure it was even, but I liked being in control of the length (and loss of length) myself, rather than leaving that decision to someone who's not as "invested" in my hair as I am.

dulce-de-leche
June 29th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I tried Feye's method and it didn't work out that great for me.If you take a look at my pictures
I tried cutting my hair straight and I did a "u" or "v" not sure what it is.I think next time I will get my husband to cut.