PDA

View Full Version : Chopstick bun?

Vrushali
June 28th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I am trying some hair-updos since my hair is getting longer (:D) and I want to keep it off my face and also avoid touching it all the time. I really liked the chopstick bun and checked out some how-to videos on youtube. It seems there are just two ways of doing this bun..one, where you twist your hair using the chopstick and tuck the chopstick into the bun and second, where you make a bun with your hands and then use the chopstick to hold it in place (the first technique was more common though). Trouble is, the first method doesn't work on my hair at all; the chopstick slips off and my hair tumbles down. The second method works better but it doesn't hold for more than 30 minutes (if I'm lucky and if I don't move my head too much).

Is there any other way to do this bun?

misstwist
June 28th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Have you looked at the hairstyles in the articles section yet? Be sure to page through to see various hairstick styles.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=category&categoryid=1

hellkitty
June 28th, 2009, 10:14 AM
This sounds to me, without all the information of course, like it could be an equipment problem. What kind of stick are you using? I find that the plastic sticks like you can buy at Claire's slide out of my hair, but wooden ones don't.

You might try hair forks. A two prong fork holds MUCH better than one stick especially for the second kind of style you describe (I also have slippy hair!)

And please do hunt up Amoretti's hairstick bun if you haven't already. It's the only one of the 'twist hair with stick' buns that works for me.

HK

Kristine
June 28th, 2009, 10:25 AM
This is the first bun that I learned to do, it held my hair very well regardless of what I used as a hair stick, and I found it very comfy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34

Shikyo
June 28th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I had some hard time in the beginning, but in the end it was very simple. I've learned to do it in two different ways, one of them is rather hard.

Way 1

Make a pony tail with both hands, keep the pony tail in place and take the chopstick to your other hand. The hand with the chopstick goes over the pony tail and is in vertical towards the ponytail. After that you'll have to get the hair once around the chopstick(I've found out the easiest to turn the chop stick in a spiral, while the hand holding on the pony tail moves slightly further away to give space for the chop stick). Now it's time to turn the chopstick around in a clockwise( or counter clockwise, depending of the how the hair has been wrapped around the chopstick earlier) until it feels tight enough, but so that the thin end high, and the thick one low. To make it tight, go with the thin top along your scalp to the bun and push it through the bun. Now you should have a chopstick bun that stays.

Way 2

A lot harder to do and I can't really explain how to do it, but I'll try. Get all your hair behind, take the chopstick wrap the hair around the chopstick just using the chopstick and nothing else. A spiral kind of motion seems to work best and you gotta do it fast, otherwise the hair escapes and you'll have a very lose bun in the end. Keep turning it around until it feels tight enough, then you run the chopstick against your scalp towards the bun and push it through it.

Carefully not to use force, the chopstick should slide in rather easily. If you feel like you gotta use force to get it in, you'll most likely destroy hair when you do it.

I hope this helps you making your bun.

Vrushali
July 13th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Hello all, I am sorry I was gone for soo long! Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I am definitely getting better at the chopstick bun thanks to all of you!:)