PDA

View Full Version : what is this?

redneckprincess
June 28th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I was combing my hair the other day after a shower and noticed this...about 30... 1/4-1/2 in hairs sprouting from the top of my head...could it really be new hairs or could it be possible somehow all those hairs got pulled out or broken without my knowladge? (i dont even shed 10 hairs a day) should i be happy or worried???
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll211/redneckprincess78/hair/Picture001-1.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll211/redneckprincess78/hair/Picture002.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll211/redneckprincess78/hair/Picture003.jpg

zen_oven
June 28th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Looks like baby hairs to me. You will have new hair grow in all the time--I find I don't notice it until if gets about as long as the hairs in your pictures, if I notice at all. Nothing to worry about. Eventually they'll get long enough to lay flat with the rest of your hair. I usually just try to smooth them down with a teensy amount of some kind of hair oil.

slz
June 28th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I'd say pulled out without you noticing ? I think new hair wouldn't grow in "chunck" (wicks ?) like this, but rather isolated. But I don't know. I have the same kind of unexpected "chunck" at the back of my neck, except mine is much thicker but still I have no idea when/how it may have been pulled out or cut. It's almost BSL now.

Debra83
June 28th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Do you put clips or bobby pins or hair ties ever in that spot? If so, probable breakage - but if you've never had anything there, and you don't remember bumping your head on anything - maybe it is new hairs. But really weird it's a group like that. That usually infers breakage.

redneckprincess
June 28th, 2009, 10:03 AM
nope no clips or ties ar anything like that at the top of my head like this...wierd? i guess i will have to pay closer attention, thanks for your input

GoddesJourney
June 28th, 2009, 10:39 AM
You should be thrilled! Whatever you're doing for your hair (or not doing to your hair) is apparently helping you. It looks like new growth to me. Now just be nice to those little guys so they can grow up to be big and strong...:D

Fethenwen
June 28th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Looks like new growth, especially in the last picture.

Leneveu
June 28th, 2009, 11:30 AM
How funny - two days ago I noticed just the same thing in my hair, and in exactly the same position, too (it looked really silly on me)! I'm afraid I have no idea why they're there, either! :)

jeno
June 28th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Sunglasses? I have a pair that always get stucked in my hair if I put them on the top of my head. Sometimes they pull out a few hairs.

krissykins
June 28th, 2009, 12:20 PM
It definitely looks like those hairs are new growth. Are you using monistat?

Speckla
June 28th, 2009, 02:45 PM
It could be new growth especially if you're not bleaching or coloring anymore. I have a ton of new growth on my forehead and all over since increasing my iron, zince, and magnesium and I have clusters that look like that.

jera
June 28th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I'd say pulled out without you noticing ? I think new hair wouldn't grow in "chunck" (wicks ?) like this, but rather isolated. But I don't know. I have the same kind of unexpected "chunck" at the back of my neck, except mine is much thicker but still I have no idea when/how it may have been pulled out or cut. It's almost BSL now.

I can't say for certain. My baby hairs grow in diffusely ie. : all over the place and not in clumps either. I guess time will tell, but please don't worry. Everybody's hair is different, but stress is a universal hair killer. :o

daydreamer
June 28th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Looks like new growth to me -- I usually get large amounts of new growth at a time like this also, that look like tufts almost. If the ends are tapered/pointy, definitely new growth.

ReddishRocks
June 28th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Sunglasses? I have a pair that always get stucked in my hair if I put them on the top of my head. Sometimes they pull out a few hairs.
I have a spot like that! I noticed it a few years ago, and I chucked those sunglasses as far as I could, LOL!

I agree with others who said that it's kind of odd to have a clump like that be just random new growth... I would guess some kind of trauma, be that breakage, rubbing, a whack to the head... all very appealing. ;) But no worries! We all have stuff like that (at least I do!). :)

hennaphile
June 28th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Awwww, you have new babies!!!!

I have some that look just like that, maybe it IS growing back.

We should throw you a baby hair shower :D:D

redneckprincess
June 28th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I do wear sunglasses it could be that although I usually do put them that far back on my head??

It definitely looks like those hairs are new growth. Are you using monistat? no i quit the monistat it wasnt doing anything for me, but i am doing weekly treatments so it could be that...i think i dont know, thats why i ask, lol

It could be new growth especially if you're not bleaching or coloring anymore. I have a ton of new growth on my forehead and all over since increasing my iron, zince, and magnesium and I have clusters that look like that. oh heck no i havent bleached in over a year and no color either except the MP a few months back...i hope its new growth cause i sure dont remember that much breakage or right there

Dementia1013
June 28th, 2009, 06:20 PM

This makes the most sense to me.

ReneeIstKrieg
June 28th, 2009, 06:27 PM
This is happening to me too. It must be new growth because I've been babying my hair hardcore for months and I rarely wear sunglasses and I only wear glasses when my hair is already safe in a braid (bedtime). Mine are funny because many of them are at the hairline and when i pull them down they look like very thin bangs :)

Pegasus Marsters
June 28th, 2009, 07:11 PM
My hair broke off at that length from too much bleach, so I'm voting breakage. That is exactly how mine looked. Concentrated to one patch and sticking straight up!

Didn't you just chemically straighten your hair? That could cause the same kind of breakage as bleach would.

Charlotte
June 28th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Are the tips of the short hairs tapered to a point (new hairs) or blunt (as in broken)??? That should answer your question. I hope they are babies. :)

krissykins
June 28th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Are the tips of the short hairs tapered to a point (new hairs) or blunt (as in broken)??? That should answer your question.

I was about to ask the same thing. Have someone look at it for you lol

redneckprincess
July 22nd, 2009, 09:22 AM
ya know what I just figured out what this is from....I have been an active member of the LHC for 11 weeks now, about 9 & 1/2 weeks ago I gave MN treatments a try for about 3 1/2 - 4 weeks... these hairs MUST be from that!!....all I had to do was the math...maybe the MN did work I think I will give it another shot

SimplyViki
July 22nd, 2009, 09:46 AM
ya know what I just figured out what this is from....I have been an active member of the LHC for 11 weeks now, about 9 & 1/2 weeks ago I gave MN treatments a try for about 3 1/2 - 4 weeks... these hairs MUST be from that!!....all I had to do was the math...maybe the MN did work I think I will give it another shot

If MN means monistat (haven't spent much time on that thread), yeah, that's just about exactly what I was going to say. :D If something is supposed to cause new growth, or somehow affect the future growth, it takes a while to see any difference. Different than a conditioner or deep treatment, for example, which affect the hair you've already got grown out.

Aside from that, I have a little tuft of new growth like that right at my hairline. I know exactly what it's from... I have a nervous habit of plucking hairs out, so I've always got weird looking new growth. So your pictures looked very familiar to me.

Gypsy
July 22nd, 2009, 10:48 AM
Are the tips of the short hairs tapered to a point (new hairs) or blunt (as in broken)??? That should answer your question. I hope they are babies. :)

I was thinking those ends looked blunt in the picture and with them being in a precise clump, I vote breakage.
I would really look at what was going on; pony tails, clips, sunglasses, hard brushing and pulling in that area, spot that was previously weakened from chemicals....

SimplyViki
July 22nd, 2009, 10:50 AM
Well, actually, my plucked hairs grow back in blunt tipped, not so tapered as a shed hair that's regrown, so I still think it's possible those were pulled out somehow.

Gypsy
July 22nd, 2009, 11:05 AM
Chances are, the plucked hairs were not plucked to the root, they were broken at the scalp.
I get those all the time; with trichotillomania, one of the weird characteristics is after pulling the hair out, I sit and examine the hairs, the tips, the root (if I get one), etc.. If I don't get a root then I have to keep hunting until I find one. :mad: so then I end up with new growth that has blunt tips since they were broken rather than fully removed.

SimplyViki
July 22nd, 2009, 11:16 AM
Yeah, I have to look for the roots, too... Usually I end up putting the root end to my lip to feel the wet, bulbous end. :oops: However, I just noticed on one of the shorter plucked ones I've gotten today that the end was in fact tapered. So maybe they just look blunt when I see them in the mirror, and are actually tapered when I see them up close post-plucking.

Ahem... sorry for the hijack, redneckprincess, LOL...

redneckprincess
July 24th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I have to look for the roots, too... Usually I end up putting the root end to my lip to feel the wet, bulbous end. :oops: However, I just noticed on one of the shorter plucked ones I've gotten today that the end was in fact tapered. So maybe they just look blunt when I see them in the mirror, and are actually tapered when I see them up close post-plucking.

Ahem... sorry for the hijack, redneckprincess, LOL...
thats ok i dont mind I'm done with this post anyways